• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I plan on trying it at some point, but busy with Borderlands 3 and Apex Legends right now. And soon Astral Chain and AI Somnium Files.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yea nice opinions

These are just a few drive by troll posts from you in Destiny threads about trailers/news and whatnot. You aren't providing an opinion, you're just shit posting because you see the words Destiny and you foam at the mouth.
You still haven't told me how LFG or greater player customization would make the game worse.

StayMe7o

May 11, 2018
Kamurocho
80? On the steam page it says 105 GB required, is it not? All I know is that I did the preload and when I went to launch the game on tuesday it needed to unpack which I did not have enough space for.

Can't play on PS4 since no plus, can't play on laptop cause no space to install atm. Oh well..
When I tried installing it the other day the download size on the install prompt was around 88gb but if that balloons to over 100gb, no thanks.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Way too grindy for my taste. Forsaken was pretty good but I doubt the campaign in shadowkeep is worth it there's so little story. I'm not one to grind my heart out for weapons and I don't really like destiny crucible so not much to do. It appears quite a small DLC, my roomates is already 930 Light and the guns are still the same from Forsaken and vanilla Destiny. Hard to make it an enticing download.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I'm not waiting, nothing about this game (from the boring characters to the grindy mechanics) interests me.

Weirdness because to me it happens to be one of the very best games of the generation, easily. Also, it doesn't have to be grindy if you just play casually for the story. It's great fun to play through all the campaigns. Even if you ignore all the multiplayer extras and grindy quests for fancy gear. The core game is tight. The gunplay is flawless and the Sci-Fi atmosphere is unbeatable.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
When I hear f2p, I always understand "pay 500$ in microtransactions to get the normal 60$ game experience, or be locked behind 1 in 1000 chance RNGs and 6 different currencies that require 600h of grind to buy a new gun."

Is this the case here?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Too much bloat to jump in at this point. I played at launch and dropped it after I finished all of the solo content but didn't have anyone to raid with. That was 2 years ago. Now, I don't even want to think about how much time it would take to wrap my head around all of the new changes and content additions. Plus, it's basically a 100gb download at this point.

Bungie is doing a lot of good things with the game right now though, and I'm glad fans enjoy it. But it's just way to daunting now.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
Have you tried stuff like Zero Hour, Whisper of the Worm, Shattered Throne? And heroic variants?

Point taken. I don't believe I did any of those in fact my copy of Forsaken stays relatively unscathed. If I can transfer my account, then make time, maybe I will give them a chance. I do agree that Bungie is doing is good job building towards a next-gen experience, but I don't feel they are completely there.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to hop back in. I played a fair amount of Destiny, didn't try Destiny 2 (because of how much of a mess it was early on), and have been pretty disappointed with other loot shooter offerings (Anthem and The Division 2). Might as well hop in now that it seems to be in a much better state than the first year.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I transfered my Destiny 2 save from Battle.net to Steam, and I got my character, but suddenly all my stats are upgraded to 750 and I can't find the campaign I was in the middle of.

Er, is that supposed to happen?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I transfered my Destiny 2 save from Battle.net to Steam, and I got my character, but suddenly all my stats are upgraded to 750 and I can't find the campaign I was in the middle of.

Go to Amanda Holiday in the Tower to find the legacy campaigns and story missions.

And yes, 750 is the new 0.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018

Yes, everyone got boosted to 750. Whatever missions you had going prior should still be in your inventory.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
I played both Destiny 1 and 2 a bit before dropping it. The game is just not fun to me but I see the appeal.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
As a primarily Xbox player I got burned on the Sony exclusivity stuff. I know it's fixed now but there is so much that I would have to relearn and there are some many good games coming out I don't know that I have the time or will.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I was Day 1 on Destiny, Destiny 2, and came back for both Taken King and Forsaken. Really love Destiny but I think I've had enough for a while. Tried picking it up over the Summer and it just wasn't doing it for me. The 'itch' has yet to return like it usually does this time of year.

As profound as a lot of of the improvements have been, and continue to be, my biggest complaint is still how much of the loot is removed from the pool and gated behind quests with grindy/tedious/monotonous/unfun tasks. In D1 my Gjallarhorn dropped fighting regular old mobs on Venus in Free Roam, now the only way I'd be able to get a weapon like that is via some quest that forced me to 'shoot 500 Guardians in the nuts in Crucible with a Sniper Rifle' along with several other steps I don't want to spend time doing.

Insane busy work for guaranteed drops is fine, obviously, but I should at least have a chance of getting pretty much everything in the game, outside of gear tied to Raids and special events like IB, by simply playing the game.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
I can't see me coming back. Especially when I can play Borderlands 3 with my other half and not be faced with a daunting endgame, other people and microtransactions. I enjoyed the story content well enough on release, but there's so much out/coming out very soon that is far more worthy of my time.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I played it when it went free to play on PC a while back. I really had fun with it. Great campaign, and it's just a joy to play. Didn't bother with end game stuff. Did a few strikes and that was it. I really don't game on PC much.

I'm deep into Borderlands 3 now, but I am pretty pumped to get into Destiny 2 on Xbox soon. I really want to support Bungie now that they're independent.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Weirdness because to me it happens to be one of the very best games of the generation, easily. Also, it doesn't have to be grindy if you just play casually for the story. It's great fun to play through all the campaigns. Even if you ignore all the multiplayer extras and grindy quests for fancy gear. The core game is tight. The gunplay is flawless and the Sci-Fi atmosphere is unbeatable.
I do agree with him about the bland characters. The ones that stand out mostly do so because they are either annoying or Lance Reddick.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I hear f2p, I always understand "pay 500$ in microtransactions to get the normal 60$ game experience, or be locked behind 1 in 1000 chance RNGs and 6 different currencies that require 600h of grind to buy a new gun."

Is this the case here?
You're getting the normal $60 game experience for free, and then paying more money for the bigger (and current) expansion packs.

So you'll definitely be paying more money if you want the complete experience (nowhere near that much, though), but you're still getting the original $60 game experience and a whole lot more for free.

There's a shitload of content either way, and while a lot of that is grinding for cooler gear, the gunplay is so fucking flawless that it makes the grind a joy.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new player experience, or returning player who forgot everything experience, is shit now. They just dump you in the game without any direction or information of how to do anything. What does this skill do and how do I use it? How do I changed skills? WTF is an Engram? Where is the story? What do the 50000 different icons and indicators mean?

All this talk about "playing with your friends" and yet the entire design is catered to people who played the shit out of the game and who they are trying to reel back in. It's absolutely unfriendly as hell to new players and without constantly looking this stuff up or asking vets would take just as long as the campaign to figure all this shit out.

They should have made it an option. I'd much rather start from scratch, earn my skills as I'm learning, and follow the story path than just get dumped at 750 score with zero clue wtf is going on. No, this isn't a change made for the betterment of new players, it's a change made for vets who want to jump back in with another class but don't want to be arsed to run the the content again.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
The new player experience, or returning player who forgot everything experience, is shit now. They just dump you in the game without any direction or information of how to do anything. What does this skill do and how do I use it? How do I changed skills? WTF is an Engram? Where is the story? What do the 50000 different icons and indicators mean?

All this talk about "playing with your friends" and yet the entire design is catered to people who played the shit out of the game and who they are trying to reel back in. It's absolutely unfriendly as hell to new players and without constantly looking this stuff up or asking vets would take just as long as the campaign to figue8all this shit out.

They should have made it an option. I'd much rather start from scratch, earn my skills as I'm learning, and follow the story path than just get dumped at 750 score with zero clue wtf is going on. No, this isn't a change made for the betterment of new players, it's a change made for vets who want to jump back in with another class but don't want to be arsed to run the the content again.

They should put some tutorials in game but they have this for now

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I was Day 1 on Destiny, Destiny 2, and came back for both Taken King and Forsaken. Really love Destiny but I think I've had enough for a while. Tried picking it up over the Summer and it just wasn't doing it for me. The 'itch' has yet to return like it usually does this time of year.

As profound as a lot of of the improvements have been, and continue to be, my biggest complaint is still how much of the loot is removed from the pool and gated behind quests with grindy/tedious/monotonous/unfun tasks. In D1 my Gjallarhorn dropped fighting regular old mobs on Venus in Free Roam, now the only way I'd be able to get a weapon like that is via some quest that forced me to 'shoot 500 Guardians in the nuts in Crucible with a Sniper Rifle' along with several other steps I don't want to spend time doing.

Insane busy work for guaranteed drops is fine, obviously, but I should at least have a chance of getting pretty much everything in the game, outside of gear tied to Raids and special events like IB, by simply playing the game.

Yeah, good point. A lot of stuff has been 'locked' behind specific achievements, and not all of those are worth the hassle if you're not able to invest a shitload of time in it. I'm not against it, and I don't mind Raid-specific drops (never had the please of Vision of Confluence :( ) but the current balance is a bit off putting to me personally.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

original.gif

I will always love you for the time we spent together.....

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it. The shooting was fun but the actual levels and missions were poor.
The game felt grindy, confusing and unfocused.
Not to mention several modes are locked out of matcmaking and some don't let you play unless you somehow get a party together.
There are no real tutorials, nothing to say how you do anything or why you are doing anything.
Its kinda a mess.

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Did they add matchmaking for the raid stuff?
All these changes and still no raid matchmaking. Shame.

Listen to thee peeps below.....

Do you mean blind matchmaking? If so no, nor should they ever add that. Do you mean LFG? Also no, and yes they most definitely should add that if they intend to continue calling their game an MMO.
They should, however, add some kind of LFG to the game.

RAiding with LFG groups is already a gamble, nevermind matchmaking for raids. Matchmaking for raids could make Y1 raids impossible to complete without team communication; raids cannot be approached like standard PvP/Pve activities because if 1 of the 6 isn't listening it could lead to hours of wipes and lots of butthurt.

Oct 26, 2017

RAiding with LFG groups is already a gamble, nevermind matchmaking for raids. Matchmaking for raids could make Y1 raids impossible to complete without team communication; raids cannot be approached like standard PvP/Pve activities because if 1 of the 6 isn't listening it could lead to hours of wipes and lots of butthurt.

Nightfall strikes are perfectly doable with strangers, though.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Can I play it without paying a sub like Apex and Fortnite on PS4 ? If not, it's not F2P in my book.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Nightfall strikes are perfectly doable with strangers, though.
So are raids if you all have mics. They already have matchmaking systems in place, they just choose to not put those methods into the game. Even on PC. They still make you leave the game to find people to play with, which is ridiculous.

Can I play it without paying a sub like Apex and Fortnite on PS4 ? If not, it's not F2P in my book.

Partially. Anything requiring matchmaking is blocked though.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely want to get back in but I don't know if I will. I was such a big Halo guy that I feel obligated to at least see what Bungie's been working on, but I bounced off of Destiny 1 pretty hard.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the limited amount of things I've read about the game, I heard it was shit. So many controversies too.

Requires PS+ too which I don't have.

Ted

Oct 25, 2017
-72.290091, 0.795254
I've always been mildly curious about Destiny but didn't know it had gone free to play. I'm guessing that I won't be able to play much of it as I don't really have people to play with online but I'm downloading it now and will give it a go at some point soon.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the limited amount of things I've read about the game, I heard it was shit. So many controversies too.

Requires PS+ too which I don't have.
The consensus from the people who actually play the game is that it's in the best state it's ever been in.

I don't know where you heard it was "shit".

I've always been mildly curious about Destiny but didn't know it had gone free to play. I'm guessing that I won't be able to play much of it as I don't really have people to play with online but I'm downloading it now and will give it a go at some point soon.
Join the discord and the OT, that's what they're there for.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I tried it over the last two days and unfortunately I dropped it which is a shame because on paper it should really appeal to me. The new player experience to me was awful, the structure just seemed a mess and everything seemed over complicated. The UI was pretty horrible and it didn't help that the game just kinda dumps a tonne of stuff on you without explanation. I didn't like the massive jump in level (another thing not really explained) because it felt like I'd just been made the level for an expansion in a Diablo game, making going through the old content seem pointless. The game directed me towards doing a long multiplayer strike which was awful as a first mission when you don't understand anything. I found out how to do the campaign, but again, it seemed pointless and I wasn't really getting any loot, the story didn't seem very intriguing either. Enemy variety also felt lacking compared to something like Halo, at least in the sense of interactivity (just aim and shoot with any gun for most things). The shooting was at least nice. Ultimately, it felt too much like being thrown in late game of an MMO, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but even Warframe is more approachable for new players.

I really wish we would get a loot shooter even more Diablo like, structured like one, and enjoyable solo.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017

Hours? Oof. I'll just stick to the campaign stuff they release every now and then I guess.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am in zero rush to play another first person game where I shoot people and it plays 5% difference from another game that does the same thing. Many more interesting choices out there, I already played Destiny 1, I "got it", thats enough for me