• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved it and platinumed it. It does have issues but they didn't keep me from having a fun time. I really hope Bend gets to make a sequel because I think they have a good base to build on.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Enjoyed it. Finished it.

Still have to go back and get the other ending and 100% it. Hordes were great and tense.

Probably gonna play the entire game again because I couldn't pay as much attention to the story as I should have since my friend Shareplay (watched) while I was playing and we were talking through a lot of the game.

8.5/10 for me.

Oct 2, 2018
Subpar experience. My thoughts are well detailed in the spoilers thread.

For a "zombie horde" game, its 85% fighting misc shitty humans.

I'd suggest a sale before buying this. Its not a game that respects a gamers time. The thing about DG is that its been widely advertised as the zombie game but you can only really fight the horde near the end game. As mentioned before, it feels a lot like false advertising.

That's days gone the game. Not zombies or horde.

read it here.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was great. A solid 8/10.

The story wasn't anything special, but it was told well and there are some great characters in there.
Gameplay is good fun, with the hordes being particularly challenging right up until the end.

I think what let's it down a bit is the typical open world bloat. There are plenty of interesting looking locations that are devoid of anything interesting to do. The game is filled with enemy camps that play out exactly the same way 90% of the time. And the last third of the game feels like it drags because of all the new side content that suddenly pops up again.

All fairly common issues in open world games but they sap the fun all the same.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It was a solid game that overstated its welcome, at least for me. And the hordes should have featured far more prominently in the story, instead of being largely a late- or post-game side activity.

Apr 8, 2018
Yay. Technical issues aside, I had a good time with it. Ended up getting the Platinum as well. I'm curious to see the improvements and changes they would make in a sequel.

jamemax

Dec 12, 2018
Bored and annoyed as hell in the first 20-30 hours, then loved it afterwards. I hoped for a more polished, dramatic or intimidating story though, felt really weird for 70 hours story about infected that has no infection scene at all. I don't even know how does the virus infect its host, lol. Could have made some impact scene.

Pragmatist

May 30, 2019
Definite yay for me, I really enjoyed the game from start to finish, it's a solid 7 for me. I feel if a few things here and there were a bit more polished and refined, it'd be an 8.5. Overall, a very enjoyable experience and I hope Bend are given the chance to create a sequel and build upon the solid foundation they established in the first.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Platform warring.
Im convinced, slap a Ubisoft sign on the box or remove the "only on Play Station" and this place would be filled with "nays".

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
.. where are the people ITT saying this is a beloved game and far more universally liked than the reviews would have you believe getting that from? Just skimming this thread for example and I swear you can't go 4/5 comments without at least one 'nay'.

And heck, even a significant amount of people who still like the game overall are saying that the MC score of just over a 7/10 is about right.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
.. where are the people ITT saying this is a beloved game and far more universally liked than the reviews would have you believe getting that from? Just skimming this thread for example and I swear you can't go 4/5 comments without at least one 'nay'.
I think the general sentiment is clear. Most thought it was very good with some obvious issues to be fixed/built upon in a sequel. Some didn't enjoy it at all.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the general sentiment is clear. Most thought it was very good with some obvious issues to be fixed/built upon in a sequel. Some didn't enjoy it at all.

And I'm disagreeing with that because the people who are saying it's very good are few and far between, at least from what I'd expect say if you did this for The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne or something. The general sentiment seems to hover around average-good. But of course a poll would make things a lot clearer at a glance.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
And I'm disagreeing with that because the people who are saying it's very good are few and far between, at least from what I'd expect say if you did this for The Witcher 3 or Bloodborne or something. The general sentiment seems to hover around average-good. But of course a poll would make things a lot clearer at a glance.
I think we've had a thread with a poll recently. I'll see if I can find it.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
Definite yay from me. I'm really loving the game. Sure, the start is a bit slow and it's definitely more stealth-suspense with your first few encounters, but it's all deliberate and all of the progression feels substantial; by the end you're taking down hordes like an action movie.

Similarly I've found the progression with the the story great too. All the characters are flawed and human, and you spend a lot of time getting to know them, with some solid performances with the acting and animation.

I only started playing over the last couple weeks so can't complain about any game breaking issues after the latest patches. The game world just is stunning to look at as well.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Im convinced, slap a Ubisoft sign on the box or remove the "only on Play Station" and this place would be filled with "nays".
kay bro. i loved AC: Odyssey and thought Days Gone was right up there with it. whatever you're trying to say, says more about you because Ubisoft's made some of the best open world games and a lot of people enjoy them. that being said i don't think Days Gone is all that similar to any number of Ubisoft's games.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I put a ton of hours into the game and got the platinum. I then immediately started the game over in survivor mode and am still having a blast.

The last game I remember doing that for was The Last of Us

And I would say based off all the undue hate this game has got from day one that the exact opposite is true so....

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Played for about an hour and got bored of it, found it slow and boring. I was probably just bad at it, but didn't like it.
I think 80% of people admit the first 5-10 hours (depending on how fast you're playing) are average to boring. Same as me. But it definitely picks up majorly. It's a shame it takes so long to do so but it's a long long looooong game.

Last edited:

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'll try it when it's cheaper, but it looks like a State of Decay ripoff with a horde of Zombies gimmick.

Nov 14, 2017
I'll try it when it's cheaper, but it looks like a State of Decay ripoff with a horde of Zombies gimmick.
Just my opinion obviously, but I couldn't play more than 30minutes of State of Decay 2, found it boring unfortunately. Have been playing Days Gone for about ~10hours and I'm enjoying it, for me, it's vastly superior to SoD.

But to each his own.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
It's like... A 7. The games biggest issue is that for 3/4 of the game, it has an excellent story with boring gameplay and then a final 1/4 that has a shit story with interesting gameplay.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought it yesterday, looking forward to trying it once I finish Far Cry 5 (which I am enjoying)

Kuroknight27

Feb 20, 2018
I'm enjoying it so far, I'm about 4-5hrs in I think. I did have one bug where my character was talking, but no sound was coming out.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Anyone feel this game needed a hunger, weather or sickness bar for gameplay?

I feel like Bend could have gone an extra mile to make it a survival/action game. Also need to sleep thus the beds in the camps. Like I dont use those beds at all.

It's silly that the bike needs gas but you dont need food/water/sleep.

When it rains or snows, you should need to have the gear to combat the weather else you could get sick. *decreased stamina or health bar)

The more I play it, the more I feel this game had so much more potential.

Also fighting marauders is lame as hell. Once you get a good gun and some skills, its better to go Rambo and kill al vs stealth because the ai is so stupid it doesn't matter how you take them out. If they were a challenge, it would make you try to stealth it.

I'm playing on hard and this shit is MAD easy. The 2 things that have given me a challenge...running away from bears is not guaranteed for your survival. They are really fast when they get close. And the bigger hoards are definitely deadly by foot. (Not to the point I can take them out with my guns or equipment)

Also another lost opportunity. If dealing with an enemy camp, if you go guns blazing, they should have made it so the chances of zombies storming the area is 95% thus forcing you to stealth. Remember how I said I go Rambo on the camps? Well the enemy ai is stupid and no zombies come to check all the gun noise. (God why did they miss this really simple idea?!)

I bought it to support bend but say they make a sequel, not sure I'd be willing to buy it unless they made some big changes to gameplay and difficulty. Granted I haven't played survival mode but making it cheap is not really what I'm looking for. (Say if it's a 1 hit kill for you)

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed it for $20 when Walmart had their price error. I'm probably going to give it a shot when I finish with God of War.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Yay for me. It's an okay open world game. I liked it a hell of a lot more than RDR2 which I didn't even finish I found it so boring.
What was it about RDR2 that was boring for you? I've not played either Days Gone or RDR2, but am interested in both, so I'd like to gauge your opinion on what you think wasn't fun about RDR2. The survival mechanics are sort of keeping me off from it.

basefree

Jan 24, 2018
What was it about RDR2 that was boring for you? I've not played either Days Gone or RDR2, but am interested in both, so I'd like to gauge your opinion on what you think wasn't fun about RDR2. The survival mechanics are sort of keeping me off from it.

I have a similar opinion, I was incredibly hyped about RDR2 and was ultimately disappointed and bored by it in the end and never finished it. Picked up Days Gone and it definitely reminds me of it in terms of gameplay structure but I enjoy it so much more. The problem I had with RDR2 was that it felt like it was trying to be a sim most the time, all the real time animations for absolutely everything, way too much focus on the fine details that detriment the gameplay. Whereas Days Gone first and foremost actually feels like a game.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I have a similar opinion, I was incredibly hyped about RDR2 and was ultimately disappointed and bored by it in the end and never finished it. Picked up Days Gone and it definitely reminds me of it in terms of gameplay structure but I enjoy it so much more. The problem I had with RDR2 was that it felt like it was trying to be a sim most the time, all the real time animations for absolutely everything, way too much focus on the fine details that detriment the gameplay. Whereas Days Gone first and foremost actually feels like a game.
Good to know and that's what I was afraid of (for RDR2). I have nothing against that kind of thing and can find it to be pretty fun, but I don't know if in a game like RDR2 I would particularly find that enjoyable. I'll bite Days Gone first and if RDR2 goes on sale for low enough I'll pick it up for the sake of at least trying it. If anything maybe I can find some enjoyment in the multiplayer with friends or something (unless that also has the sim mechanic... then I'm out of reasons to try it.)

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Just my opinion obviously, but I couldn't play more than 30minutes of State of Decay 2, found it boring unfortunately. Have been playing Days Gone for about ~10hours and I'm enjoying it, for me, it's vastly superior to SoD.

But to each his own.
Haven't played the sequel yet but the first game was really good. These open world zombie games are all the same anymore.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I'm a big fan of the original State of Decay. Days Gone shares the zombie theme and that's about it.
I personally found Days Gone to be a much stronger game than State of Decay.
That's good to hear. I'm interested in DG but I'm worried that the open world zombie game is fatigued as hell. This game just came out a really bad time.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yesterday I got to a point in this game where I was "protecting" some fellow bikers. It was an story mission on-bike segment, but the speed was wonky. I couldn't go as fast as I usually did and it seemed like trying to ram into vehicles was blocked by a wall of air. But I would run into rocks as if I was going full speed. The control for it was absolute crap. I had to put the game down. Maybe I'll try and pick it up again next week.

This game is still a hard NAY

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I concur. I'm having a very hard time getting through RDR2 now. Doing anything in RDR2 feels like walking through molasses but in DG aiming, shooting, walking and biking around, everything feels like a good balance of animation/response. And it only gets better as you skill-up.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I was interested in State of Decay a while ago but never jumped in. Got the Platinum and love Days Gone. What similarities do they have cuz I may dust off my xbone and try SoD.
Not really sure of the similarities because I haven't played DG, but I'm just referring to the open world zombie game. It's been done to death at this point, so much so that SoD 2 wasnt received as well as it should have been.

But SoD was pretty badass when it came out. Basically GTA with zombies. It's all been done before nowadays and games like Day Z and World War Z now Days Gone just keep kicking the zombie style. Hell even Dead Rising 4 was pretty mediocre.

OP
OP
vaderise

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I tried State of Decay 2 because it was on Gamepass. Could not play more than an hour. Boring ass game. First one gave a MUCH better first impression.
Days Gone on the other hand, starts good, gets MUCH better.
I still can't believe the review scores this game got. It's REALLY good.
Unplayable on the base PS4 because of the framerate drops.
Nah, bike performance is not good but FAR from unplayable.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I was so tempted grabbing it during the sale.. Big concern comes from people saying it is a bit too long. Damn I have 100+ major games in backlog and quite a lot of them are RPGs and not sure if I want to add another 50- hour game in it (trophy hunter, doing platinum). I ended up buying Metro for its shorter length..

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
This game is a solid 8/10 for me. I too waited to purchase since the critic reviews all but made it seem like an average open world game, but it's really not. I'd argue there is a lot here that other open world games haven't done, or haven't done as effectively. The world is truly beautiful and I find myself in awe every time I load up the game. For me, it's a top notch HDR title. The combat and bike controls are pretty average, but they don't bother me at all.

The horde battles though, they are truly something else. It's an intense battle each time and something I haven't felt since playing Dying Light at night (in game that is).

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was so tempted grabbing it during the sale.. Big concern comes from people saying it is a bit too long. Damn I have 100+ major games in backlog and quite a lot of them are RPGs and not sure if I want to add another 50- hour game in it (trophy hunter, doing platinum). I ended up buying Metro for its shorter length..

That's fair, given it is a very long game. A point to it's favor though is that it at least gets better as it goes on, rather than falling off.

But I'd say get through what you have. It's only going to get cheaper.