• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha.

It never dropped to zero because you were constantly refueling it. Y'know, the exact thing I'm pointing out.

You didn't think that one through, huh?

Bwahahahahaha.

Oh, my sides.
"There's never a serious need to fuel up so long as you're constantly fueling up."
"Most people in the thread about the game agree with meeeee."

Genius arguments there mate.

I don't like your precious generic zombie chore simulator. Deal with it.

You don't like it, and that's fine. No arguments from me there.

But people ITT don't need to be thinking you spend most of your time refueling the bike. Cause that's just flat out wrong.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
You don't like it, and that's fine. No arguments from me there.

But people ITT don't need to be thinking you spend most of your time refueling the bike. Cause that's just flat out wrong.
"Most of your time"?

No, people ITT indeed do not need to be thinking something I never said.

They're free to think it's a constant and frequent necessity that adds nothing of value to the game though.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, i got the game for money worth less than 25$! (In Turkey, our currency is fucked up don't ask).
Can't wait to get home and start playing.
You did well.

As for what I though they did good:

-The world feels fun and intense to explore.
-The feeling of upgrading the bike and Deacon feels really good.
-The story while a bit weirdly structured is great at it's core and has plenty of cool moments. The characters are really interesting and I hope we see them again in the sequel.
-Gameplay loop is so god damn tight, while most of what you are doing is "samey", how they execute those things is well done and fun that you don't care anymore.
-The game is really beautiful and the weather system is one of the best if not the best in gaming
-Audio design is well done and immersive.
-The hordes and the freaks are really interesting and cool to fight. Their storyline of how the virus is affecting them and how they are not brain dead enemies (but have feeling and are intelligent) is great. And the hordes are really great each time you encounter them.

As for the negatives:
-Weirdly structured game. What I mean by that is sometimes the game jump forward or awkwardly starts cutscenes. You also have the black screen each time a cutscene starts or ends before transitioning to the gameplay. It seemed like the team got more and more ambitious the more they went into the game which resulted in weirdly planned game.
-Performance issues. In Particular the frame rate. The game drops frames sometimes but I found the way to fix it was to restart the game and that seemed to fix it.

Overall it was definitely an awesome game and Bend is crazy for making such a huge game for a studio for their size. I can't wait to see what they would do in the next game with the mo cap studio (so better animations next time!) they are getting and the more manpower.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Most of your time"?

No, people ITT indeed do not need to be thinking something I never said.

They're free to think it's a constant and frequent necessity that adds nothing of value to the game though.

Fair enough.

Agree to disagree.

To me the game has been incredibly engaging, especially as the story becomes more engrossing and involved.

It plays like an open-world version of The Last of Us, which is perfect for me.

yay

it's a good game, but it runs like shit

It has some seriously inconsistent performance, even on Pro. It's a shame that I couldn't in good conscious recommend this to anyone playing on a base PS4. I don't want to imagine what performance would be like there.

Having said that, the game is a real looker and boasts some incredible atmosphere and sound design. It's one of the best looking games I've played this gen, performance issues aside.

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough.

Agree to disagree.

To me the game has been incredibly engaging, especially as the story becomes more engrossing and involved.

It plays like an open-world version of The Last of Us, which is perfect for me.

It has some seriously inconsistent performance, even on Pro. It's a shame that I couldn't in good conscious recommend this to anyone playing on a base PS4. I don't want to imagine what performance would be like there.

Having said that, the game is a real looker and boasts some incredible atmosphere and sound design. It's one of the best looking games I've played this gen, performance issues aside.
I feel restarting the game seems to fix that. Someone told me that and it worked in my experience.

Once the frame rate starts tanking I do it and it works well again ( every few hours it happens).

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
As a proud owner of platinum trophy I say hard no. Too long, too empty, too mediocre.

Hey guys I spent days/weeks playing this game but don't you dare!

It's a YES from me, normally I get open world fatigue but I've been playing this since launch and am still enjoying my time with it and even though I don't really like most of the characters or the direction the story took the world, weather system, graphics, upgrade system, horde mechanics and gun combat really stood out as some of the best in the business. I think the progression/upgrade system is not only unique but it rewards almost everything you do because everything is tied to a "Storyline" e.g. Kill hordes storyline, Find upgrades storyline, Complete all missions for a camp storyline etc. So basically you are rewarded weapons, crafting recipes, gear for your bike etc everytime you finish off one of these storylines (or even partially finish) along with whatever XP, progress and equipment you picked up along the way. One of the best I've seen and presented in one of the best UI in a game ever.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The game definitely feels like it was built around chasing every popular design trend from the last, like, I dunno, 5-6 years or so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean it's an open-world zombie game with scavenging.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Game of the year so far and I don't expect anything to top it from the announced games. Hopefully Watch Dogs 3 will.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you should definitely give it a chance, it's a great game in my opinion. I don't think there's a better, more complete zombie styled game out there.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Definitely a yes from me. I've gotta be about 50 hours in and still not finished.

I'd personally score it about an 8/10. A little rough around the edges but still a lot of fun to be had.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game definitely feels like it was built around chasing every popular design trend from the last, like, I dunno, 5-6 years or so. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does mean it's an open-world zombie game with scavenging.

This makes it sound like you haven't actually played the game. Days Gone isn't a map spam open world. Rage 2 is a far more egregious example of this. By contrast, Days Gone has a really unique, naturalistic approach to game design.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Please take a fucking hike.

The constantly forces you to refuel your motorbike. That is fact. You can't even fast travel without having to find fuel. I tried upgrading the tank and it barely made a difference.

It's a pointless chore. Finding fuel isn't hard or challenging. The fuel cans are everywhere and magically respawn. It's just fucking dull and inconvenient. It's akin to hunger and thirst meters in a hundred Early Access survival games on Steam. It adds nothing to the game besides having to frequently screech to a halt, grab a can and perform an animation.

Do you really think if the refuelling wasn't there anybody at all would be thinking to themselves, "Gee, this is okay, but it would be so much more engaging if I had to stop and make my fuel number go back up every five minutes".

The hilarious thing is, the devs knew it too because your motorbike suddenly gets infinite fuel during missions.
Do you understand why they make you stop to find fuel? Because it forces you to explore and get off your bike. It is a natural force to encourage exploration and wander a bit. It's smart design as long you understand what the goal is.

There are a lot of occasions that it made me run into some really fun and surprising random encounters.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This makes it sound like you haven't actually played the game. Days Gone isn't a map spam open world. Rage 2 is a far more egregious example of this. By contrast, Days Gone has a really unique, naturalistic approach to game design.

Well, you'd be right. ;) I got tired of the zombie stuff well before State of Decay 2, so my interest has been pretty muted (plus I don't have a PS4 of my own).

Like, don't take it as a complaint against the open-world specifically or any single aspect of the design on its own, more that I agree with people saying the game at least starts out bland.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm a huge Sony fan, loved all of their first party games this gen and think Days Gone is simply a good game that lacks the polish of most modern AAA games.

It does its own thing and it does it well, it has interesting story structure and gameplay mechanics. But it's not a game I would recommend full price.

7.5 for me

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If your specifically looking for an open world game then why not?

If you're after just a great game to play I'd say go with a plagues tale. Awesome game.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I really enjoyed it (had a good enough time to platinum it).

Good-The core combat and bike mechanics were really well executed and power curve is satisfying as you gain the ability to take on the hordes and breakers/reachers who would have decimated you earlier.

The gameplay loop is pretty standard open world fair, but I enjoyed taking out enemy bases and infected areas because I dug the combat so much.

Bad- Technically it's rough. Frame rate issues and various bugs are frequent and the loading screens heading in and out of every cutscene are really bothersome. This game has a ton of cutscenes along the main story so the loading started to grind my gears after a while.

And the story is really nothing to write home about. Outside of some clunky dialogue, it's executed competently, but it's ultimately forgettable and wraps up way too cleanly given the stakes and state of the world imo. TLOU this isn't.

Overall 8/10 for me.

Last edited:

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
A very average game that got very average scores.

Surprised it didn't get more shit for releasing in such a poor state after 6 years of development, Anthem got torn to shreds for it's bugs and day one patches.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Once it got released, I tried giving it another go but it did nothing for me. I'm tired of the Far Cry-esque open world busy work and along with the zombies, I just couldn't find myself getting drawn in.

except this outdated view is incorrect now. Far Cry 5 isnt a far cry-esque busy work. It reworked the design. All ubi games have for like 3 years ago

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Absolutely loved this game, especially once the patches cleaned up the rough edges. One of my favorite games of the year and I can't wait for a sequel on a console where they won't be so restricted by hdd performance and asset streaming problems.

Oct 27, 2017

Surprised it didn't get more shit for releasing in such a poor state after 6 years of development, Anthem got torn to shreds for it's bugs and day one patches.
Is it really the same?

Days Gone was fixed just a few days before release (hell even before the release because the Day One patch was out before it released).

By large the game is perfect right now (aside from frame rate issues once in awhile).

Anthem is still full of issues to this day.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It was a decent start point for the series to build from. The performance needs some work later on and the game felt too long but it got the horde action and world down. Some of the characters are done well. Skizzo found Eminem's old clothes though. I never ran out of fuel once so that was never a problem trying to manage that. A petrol station or red can will always be close.

It must have done something right though because some on here can't stop thinking about it. From reveal to long after launch they'll still turn up in every thread about it. Even if they still haven't played it they'll be mad about it for some reason.

Silent Disco

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Yay! played on a ps4pro w/ssd internal.
huge wall o'text incoming and sorry for formatting, i have ADD...

biggest surprise personally in a really long time.
initially wasn't even on radar due to pre-release marketing showing some wedding pictures of some dude getting married in a backwards baseball cap.
not judging, just not my thing.

ended up buying it after reading positive impressions from people i've aligned/agreed with in the past in other OTs.
took the general advice to give the game some time to stretch it's legs.
5 hours in resented purchase as it seemed janky and really easy on normal but...
decided to restart on hard difficulty for some reason.
and now?

i dunno how many hours in now, 60-70-80 hours? maybe more?
i finished it this weekend but haven't platinumed it yet (waiting for upcoming dlc to do that).
wishing that i hadn't finished it as i really liked it and want more!

turns out that dude going ken griffey jr. style to his own wedding is actually an ok dude and his attire makes sense.

does the game have flaws? definitely.
does the game take a while to get going? yup.
game never crashed on me (knock on wood after seeing other comments).
initial load each playtime was maybe 30-45 seconds?
in game cutscenes or reloading due to dukes of hazzard driving w/o the general lee? maybe 15 seconds.

regardless, i liked the motorcycle, the hordes, general gameplay and actually liked the narrative and sub--plots.
i get why many are down on the game but a lot of the reviews i wonder if they weren't like me at the 5 hour mark and just called it a day.
it's the slowest burning slow-burn game i've ever played.
also, i have hard enough time concentrating as it is so to see some reference listening to podcasts while playing i'm like huh? isn't that for like tetris or pong? not judging but also not understanding.

and for reference i'm old.
and sometimes i feel context helps.
so when people throw out recommendations i kinda like to know where they're coming from...
so here's a quick quasi-list of games i dig (enjoy/love) with 1-2 words and more as to why;

all-time favorites being;
-mass effect series (all time favorite) -story
-uncharted series -story/gameplay
-insomniac games -story/gameplay
-red faction guerrilla -gameplay (actually the destruction and setting)
-old bungie -gameplay/story
-golden eye 007 (oddjob ftw!) -gameplay

recent favorites;
-days gone
-spiderman -gameplay/story
-horizon: zero dawn -story/gameplay (prolly my mass effect for this generation)
-nioh -gameplay
the soulsborne games (demon souls being all time favorite) -gameplay
-the surge -gameplay
-dead cells -gameplay
-hollow knight -story/gameplay

Last edited:

Deleted member 54320

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
except this outdated view is incorrect now. Far Cry 5 isnt a far cry-esque busy work. It reworked the design. All ubi games have for like 3 years ago
Incorrect? I mean, I don't think it is but then again it's just an opinion. I finished Far Cry 1, 2 and 3 and played a good few hours of the sequels, those sequels did not interest me at all.

Days Gone just isn't interesting. I see it as an okay third person Far Cry but with zombies. Nothing stand out about it.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Incorrect? I mean, I don't think it is but then again it's just an opinion. I finished Far Cry 1, 2 and 3 and played a good few hours of the sequels, those sequels did not interest me at all.

Days Gone just isn't interesting. I see it as an okay third person Far Cry but with zombies. Nothing stand out about it.
Days Gone i agree with. I was mostly pointing out that ubi games right now arent how they were. Far Cry 5 is very changed from 2,3 and 4, even if they apear similar. And all the rest of ubisoft's games since Watch Dogs 2.

Oct 27, 2017
It was a decent start point for the series to build from. The performance needs some work later on and the game felt too long but it got the horde action and world down. Some of the characters are done well. Skizzo found Eminem's old clothes though. I never ran out of fuel once so that was never a problem trying to manage that. A petrol station or red can will always be close.

It must have done something right though because some on here can't stop thinking about it. From reveal to long after launch they'll still turn up in every thread about it. Even if they still haven't played it they'll be mad about it for some reason.
Funny thing about Skizzo is that the game adresses his weird outfit.

If you check his room in the camp and check the collectables Deacon would comment something along the lines of "I knew he wasn't a gangster" with a picture of him being a "good kid" so basically it shows he is a wannabe gangster. Cracked me up because that was definitely what I was thinking when I saw his character. That style went out of style a decade ago.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Do you understand why they make you stop to find fuel? Because it forces you to explore and get off your bike. It is a natural force to encourage exploration and wander a bit. It's smart design as long you understand what the goal is.

There are a lot of occasions that it made me run into some really fun and surprising random encounters.
If they have to force me to explore their open world game then they're doing it wrong. I should want to explore. Exploring should be fun, not a chore I'm forced into. Skyrim doesn't force me to explore, I do it because I'm curious to see what's in that cave or what the deal is with that temple.

Also, it doesn't even achieve that. The fuel cans respawn at petrol stations and checkpoints, right by the road. It's just a matter of stopping, hopping off, grabbing the can, doing the animation, hopping back on, then driving away, all the while wondering why the hell they're wasting my time.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Its alright.

I'm about 50% of the way through.

I say it takes a while before it starts really getting good. And it equally takes the same amount of time to like the protagonist.

Maybe I'm not far enough but the game really doesn't utilize the horde mechanic very much. Like, they are there, but I rarely see them interacting with other NPC's.

Just don't expect a AAA type of polish. Its a AA game trying really hard to be AAA.

I wouldn't say it is AA game to be AAA, it is AAA but it just not PlayStation 1st party level.
The production value is high, it is mostly technical.

I personally felt the story is need to be trim abit and try lock it 30fps

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018

U either didn't play days gone or Anthem,

Days gone play just fine, with few bugs here and there, fixed most.

Anthem Is more like miss concept and not what it suppose to be. Clearly dev was inexperienced in that genre.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Funny thing about Skizzo is that the game adresses his weird outfit.

If you check his room in the camp and check the collectables Deacon would comment something along the lines of "I knew he wasn't a gangster" with a picture of him being a "good kid" so basically it shows he is a wannabe gangster. Cracked me up because that was definitely what I was thinking when I saw his character. That style went out of style a decade ago.

It was so many layers. Cap, bandana, basketball top, hoodie, coat. My first thought was how cold must it be. No wonder he was always so quick to get angry, the man was boiling up!

U either didn't play days gone or Anthem,

Days gone play just fine, with few bugs here and there, fixed most.

Anthem Is more like miss concept and not what it suppose to be. Clearly dev was inexperienced in that genre.

Well he was just in another thread saying he didn't know the PS4 didn't have party chat, so he doesn't have the console. And he's been banned for trolling about Sony before. So take from that what you will.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely a Yay from me. It's a brilliant game, if we're scoring it's easily a 9/10. It has some flaws, but the whole is vastly better than the sum of its parts. It's genuinely one of the best open worlds I've run around in, the level of detail is immense and it feels unpredictable, I'm always running across interesting interactions between freakers, bears, wolves, humans etc. I've had a horde wipe out a pack of humans during a side mission entirely unscripted.

I can't understand a lot of the complaints the formal reviews had. A fair few reviews complained about repetition; don't get it, it's no more repetitive than any other open world game, yes, mechanically you're doing the same stuff over and over again (as with every game pretty much?) but the locations are so varied and interesting it keeps everything fresh.

Bizarre that so many people seemed to want Days Gone to fail, they're picking up on stuff that gets a pass for other games.

Great game, it might end up being my first platinum.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a nay from me. Probably the buggiest game I've played in a long time. Combat is shit. The open world feels small. Frequently you will go back to the same exact area multiple times in a row. And it's rotten with boring open world padding.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Well he was just in another thread saying he didn't know the PS4 didn't have party chat, so he doesn't have the console. And he's been banned for trolling about Sony before. So take from that what you will.
Haha, thats explains it.
Days gone just get unwanted criticism.
If it is multiplatfom game, the narrative might be different.

DiableJambe11

Jun 1, 2018
Yay! While it started slow I really enjoyed the story after a few hours. The sense of progression with the bike and great guns is also kind of addicting.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Definite yay. 8/10 and the second half is great.

It could of done with being trimmed down a bit.