• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wait until you get to the end! Guessing you've read Horrors of Hormak? That story just made me go O_O with the lore implications and the whole story felt so well written and creepy, made it actually hard to read. I love so many of the characters in that book, I really hope you see some of them in the next game though I suspect some of them are just showing factions we haven't seen before very much
Yeah, I just finished An Old Crow's Old Tricks. Thought this one a bit silly, actually.
But Horrors of Hormak, damn. I have a feeling this is going to show up in the next game, given the other eleven "places". I hope so. It's been a while since Dragon Age had this sort of horrific stuff.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I just finished An Old Crow's Old Tricks. Thought this one a bit silly, actually.
But Horrors of Hormak, damn. I have a feeling this is going to show up in the next game, given the other eleven "places". I hope so. It's been a while since Dragon Age had this sort of horrific stuff.
Yeah, they haven't gone that dark in a while - I think it very likely it will come up because from the hints in the story I suspect the she they reference is actually
Ghilan'nain - which suddenly makes me very concerned on what halla are and why they are so intelligent...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they haven't gone that dark in a while - I think it very likely it will come up because from the hints in the story I suspect the she they reference is actually
Ghilan'nain - which suddenly makes me very concerned on what halla are and why they are so intelligent...
Yeah, Origins and 2 were distinctly dark fantasy. Origins had Hespith and the Broodmother - which was horrendous on its own - as part of a very dark storyline. Possibly the darkest in Origins. Dragon Age 2 had the serial killer plot sprawling multiple acts, culminating in what I believe to be one of the most emotionally charged moments of the series. Hell, Dragon Age 2 as a whole was a chain of tragedies, actually lol.
Inquisition feels like it leaned more towards High Fantasy, which is fine, but I really miss the darker moments that make your jaw drop.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Inquisition's DLC are really good. It's the game the kept my hopes up for Bioware.

Also worth pointing out how badass your cat avatar looks as OP, Lunchbox.
9ZR5Kni.jpg

Punished Cat ftw!
That is awesome

I love reading how everyone else has picked this up again because of this thread.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Guys since we don't have a Dragon Age thread here's some tweets about some interesting details in DAI that I didn't know about and thought were cool from the former creative director:

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Guys since we don't have a Dragon Age thread here's some tweets about some interesting details in DAI that I didn't know about and thought were cool from the former creative director:

Thanks for sharing this! Dialogue in Haven being different depending on wether you imported a world state is so smart, I had no idea it worked like that. I gotta start a playthrough without import at some point to see the differences.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for sharing this! Dialogue in Haven being different depending on wether you imported a world state is so smart, I had no idea it worked like that. I gotta start a playthrough without import at some point to see the differences.
It's a really cool thing, I had no idea about it at all. I did import a world state and while I did notice some questions, I didn't realise I was missing some more exploratory/introductory questions, I thought everyone got the same questions as me just with maybe slightly different answers. I really like small details like that

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's very cheap on Xbox now, it's barely ten bucks for all the DLCs. I think I shouldn't ignore this. I want to see why there's praise for this.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So many of my playthroughs, pre-Trespasser release, have the Chargers dead. It just made sense in the context. Why would I go help reinforce the Chargers when the whole point of the mission was to defend the Qunari dreadnaught and secure an alliance? The Chargers were doing their job and did it well until the end. That'd be like letting a Russian destroyer sink during WWII because you went to save a platoon of your own men instead of winning the battle.

This is not to say it's a bad choice, its great. And Bull's reaction makes perfect sense. But my Inquisitor made the right choice.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I have a question...

My main character is a warrior dwarf, but I would like to play these DLC as a mage. This isn't possible I assume, is it? Unless I play through the base game again with that mage, but that I am not doing.

Oh also...

I will buy the whole pack, which should I play first or all worth it?

Last edited:

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question...

My main character is a warrior dwarf, but I would like to play these DLC as a mage. This isn't possible I assume, is it? Unless I play through the base game again with that mage, but that I am not doing.

Oh also...

I will buy the whole pack, which should I play first or all worth it?

Not possible to change your class unless you replay the whole game, no. Also I'd say start with The Descent since it's definitely the worst of the three (though still good).

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question...

Oh also...

I will buy the whole pack, which should I checn first of all worth it?

Can't speak for Descent/Hakkon as I haven't played them.

But Trespasser can only be accessed after you beat the base game story. And it serve as epilogue to the game and also set up the event for Dragon Age 4.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

But Trespasser can only be accessed after you beat the base game story. And it serve as epilogue to the game and also set up the event for Dragon Age 4.
You also can't do any other areas or the other DLC's in that save once you played Trespasser, unless you got back to a save before you started Trespasser.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Not possible to change your class unless you replay the whole game, no. Also I'd say start with The Descent since it's definitely the worst of the three (though still good).

I see. I'll just start with that then. The story has been finished several years ago, so I'm good to go!

Mar 9, 2018
I have been thinking about Dragon Age Inq again, and I have to say, I hope they stay away from time magic in the next game. Dangerous lore/story breaking potential.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, only The Dread Wolf Take You left on this book. Half Up Front is quite the foreshadowing tale. I like how this book picks characters who are seemingly nobodies and throws them into these world-shattering events, which is nice, because nobodies who become important figures for being in the wrong place at the wrong time is kind of the series' ethos at this point.

That said, I really like how Half Up Front really helps set up the next game a lot more obviously than most other chapters. I have a feeling that the next game is going to bring back the origin choices, which were supposed to return in Inquisition but got cut in favor of a Kossith Inquisitor. Maybe Ben-Hassrath and Antivan Crow are included, since they're heavily featured in the book. Maybe former Inquisition soldier and Tevinter Altus/Magister. These would be really nice.

If not, well...
I think there's a strong chance the PC is going to be Ben-Hassrath or allied with them. The Crows look like they will be busy fighting the Qunari and so will Tevinter for the most part. But the Ben-Hassrath have shown to be more interested in stopping Solas, as they consider him the true enemy, going as far as to let go of the old Qunari vs Imperium feud for the meantime and ignoring the Antaam.

This book got me really hyped for the next game and it's still soooo far off...

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
How could you man?!?

You did it first.

Letting the chargers die shame on you.

xD

You were warned :P

So many of my playthroughs, pre-Trespasser release, have the Chargers dead. It just made sense in the context. Why would I go help reinforce the Chargers when the whole point of the mission was to defend the Qunari dreadnaught and secure an alliance? The Chargers were doing their job and did it well until the end. That'd be like letting a Russian destroyer sink during WWII because you went to save a platoon of your own men instead of winning the battle.

This is not to say it's a bad choice, its great. And Bull's reaction makes perfect sense. But my Inquisitor made the right choice.

Well I mostly did it because the Qunari aren't really trustworthy. It's a pretty constant in the series. Inviduals are fine but then there's a demand of the Qun for your head and all deals/friendship go out the window. The only real reason I took Bull to begin with was better the spy you know than the one you don't. And Bull's quest smells from the start and the Chargers themselves are a valuable resource to the Inquisition. They're more of a elite shock troops than just some regular soldiers. Especially since I tend to play lady mages. Add to Bull having one foot out the door to begin with and saving the Chargers was pretty much the only option for my characters.

I think the only character I had that *didn't* save the chargers was my Solasmancer and that's only because I made her a complete dumpsterfire of a storyline. Everything went wrong lol. Way too naive and trusting.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You did it first.

xD

Well I mostly did it because the Qunari aren't really trustworthy. It's a pretty constant in the series. Inviduals are fine but then there's a demand of the Qun for your head and all deals/friendship go out the window. The only real reason I took Bull to begin with was better the spy you know than the one you don't. And Bull's quest smells from the start and the Chargers themselves are a valuable resource to the Inquisition. They're more of a elite shock troops than just some regular soldiers. Especially since I tend to play lady mages. Add to Bull having one foot out the door to begin with and saving the Chargers was pretty much the only option for my characters.

I think the only character I had that *didn't* save the chargers was my Solasmancer and that's only because I made her a complete dumpsterfire of a storyline. Everything went wrong lol. Way too naive and trusting.

To me it wasn't about trusting the Qunari as needing a temporary alliance. I needed an alliance with the Qunari, with access to their resources, to combat Corypheus and bring order to the South. If that required a few sacrifices, so be it. I just figured we'd have a bit of forewarning before they broke their alliance, alas they are too sneaky.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
The banter between the characters is so good. I'm playing a game now with so much dead air between the characters that it reminded me how well DA:I did it.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
To me it wasn't about trusting the Qunari as needing a temporary alliance. I needed an alliance with the Qunari, with access to their resources, to combat Corypheus and bring order to the South. If that required a few sacrifices, so be it. I just figured we'd have a bit of forewarning before they broke their alliance, alas they are too sneaky.

The game even tells you most of what they give you is information, and while information is power the Inquisitor gets most of Cory's plans via their personal resources (i.e. they learn them via traveling through time or envy and later Morrigan) they weren't that valuable to me. And if you needed political information Leliana, Vivienne and Sera were more than enough for the Inquisition's purposes. Also while Cory is many things, subtle is not one of them. Like I get why people do it but I never found the Qunari alliance that valuable to begin with compared to the inevitable betrayal or the chargers. It's a few war table missions so *shrug*. The main thing the Inquisition needed were troops and magic neither of which the Qunari provided (but the Chargers did lol).

But I'm be honest I play mages. I was never gonna side with the Qunari for long. Everytime one of them says Bas I wanna stab em.

And of course is the fact that you can get most of the good parts of the Qunari resources before losing the chargers anyway :P

Well the forewarning was the breach closing to be fair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
You did it first.

xD

Making me relive my pain over & over.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Making me relive my pain over & over.

lol. I'm sorry :P

Well it could've been worse. You could've romanced Bull *and* sacrificed the chargers. The slide you get in Trespasser if you did that is oof. Also the small differences in his romance scenes are just nope nope nope.

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I should go back and play DA:I but my ex recommended to me that I play thru the other 2 first. So I should probably get on that >_>;

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The game even tells you most of what they give you is information, and while information is power the Inquisitor gets most of Cory's plans via their personal resources (i.e. they learn them via traveling through time or envy and later Morrigan) they weren't that valuable to me. And if you needed political information Leliana, Vivienne and Sera were more than enough for the Inquisition's purposes. Also while Cory is many things, subtle is not one of them. Like I get why people do it but I never found the Qunari alliance that valuable to begin with compared to the inevitable betrayal or the chargers. It's a few war table missions so *shrug*. The main thing the Inquisition needed were troops and magic neither of which the Qunari provided (but the Chargers did lol).

But I'm be honest I play mages. I was never gonna side with the Qunari for long. Everytime one of them says Bas I wanna stab em.

And of course is the fact that you can get most of the good parts of the Qunari resources before losing the chargers anyway :P

Well the forewarning was the breach closing to be fair.

Honestly the Qunari betrayal feels like a: "Your sudden but inevitable betrayal" like did anyone expect it to go any other way?

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Replaying Inquisition and for some reason it feels much better this time round, last time was at release in 2014.

The writing and combat feel miles better than the last time I played somehow (Nightmare difficulty feels great too, played on normal last time).

Mar 9, 2018
The thread is taking so long because they are asking Mother Giselle to read the OP aloud.

Don't worry, Mother Giselle. Take your time. I'm a big fan.

Mar 9, 2018
The Maker isn't real. Of course he's not. But Andraste is real. We saw the spirits at the temple. SHE IS A TRUE HERO! And she is our god.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
If I buy the game of the year edition on PC, can I jump right to the DLC like the Witcher? I played through the game on PS4 and don't want to replay the campaign just to do the DLC, but would rather play on PC.

Yeul

Oct 25, 2017
If I buy the game of the year edition on PC, can I jump right to the DLC like the Witcher? I played through the game on PS4 and don't want to replay the campaign just to do the DLC, but would rather play on PC.

For Jaws of Hakkon and The Descent you need to be at Skyhold in order to have access to it on the war table. Trespasser requires you to have beaten the game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I rebought the game on Xbox when the GOTY edition went on sale for 9 bucks because of this thread.

I put 140 hours into it in a week. It consumed me like 2014/15 all over again.

I forgot how much I missed this style of game so badly. I went nightmare stealth Archer and just like before, once you hit 14/15 or so with enough skill points, you become a god of death which was so satisfying. I legitimately loved exploring the different zones. I love the verticality and the unique looking zones that they don't have to justify artistically if they tried some connected open world. I hope they continue to do zones in 4 and not just a bloated world full of nothing in-between.

And yes, the dlc does slap. Frostback basin is a great zone to explore and tresspaser was such a great send off for the game as an epilogue and teaser all in one. If it Bioware had their shit together we could have gotten the sequel sooner.

My biggest takeaway though is my renewed love for Dorian. Romanced him again of course. Please Please Please let him be a party member in 4. We're going to tevinter after all and I imagine whatever group our MC in DA4 creates to combat the threat, Dorian would at the very least be some representive of something as an excuse to join us

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
God I wish I left the Hinterlands and didn't burn out. Maybe I should pick this game up again.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
I did the trespasster DLC last week. Are the other DLCs worth it, the Jaws of Hakkon, and the other one I can't remember the name of?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I did the trespasster DLC last week. Are the other DLCs worth it, the Jaws of Hakkon, and the other one I can't remember the name of?
Jaws of Hakkon is like a much improved version of the open world areas and the story is interesting in that it reveals the history of the original Inquisition but is unlikely to have much big impact going forward. Descent is a dungeon underground DLC and vey dwarf heavy lore, not quite as good as Trespasser which is the end DLC but it does have some lore heavy implications.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The OP is utter crap, but I lack the time to do better (going on vacation in 2 days) so it'll have to do until I come back.
But the Dragon Age community thread is up at long last!

www.resetera.com

Dragon Age Community Thread |OT| May The Dread Wolf Take You! OT

|UNDER CONSTRUCTION| OP is currently under construction, I'm working on it but also I won't be able to deliver it before mid-September because of me going on a vacation. In the meantime, people still need and want a place to talk about all things related to Dragon Age (games, books, comics...