• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
I was pretty happy about the Bull thing because I was growing concerned that Bioware was never gonna let us kill party members again. You can tell they were real careful about it in Inquisition, they clearly wanted to keep their options open after the backlash they got for previous retcons. Even if you leave Blackwall to be executed it's never too late to save him and I'm pretty sure in Trespasser you don't hear about his death.

I know in Origins (spoilering just in case)

I kept the fact I had to abandon Alistair (I believe he just genuinely runs away) to give Loghain a second chance since I failed to persuade him to stay. I really like Alistair and that choice was a really fucking tough decision to make but I stuck to it and kept that world state as my "canon" world state even though I know there are ways to keep him around. It's what was most true to me and what I felt resonated the most. Still hurt to see him drunk and failing in that bar in Dragon Age 2.
There's no way to have both Loghain and Alistair. If you recruit Loghain, Alistair will desert the Wardens and leave your party. He can still become King though if you play your cards right, if that's what you meant.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty happy about the Bull thing because I was growing concerned that Bioware was never gonna let us kill party members again. You can tell they were real careful about it in Inquisition, they clearly wanted to keep their options open after the backlash they got for previous retcons.

Which retcons do you mean?

There's no way to have both Loghain and Alistair. If you recruit Loghain, Alistair will desert the Wardens and leave your party. He can still become King though if you play your cards right, if that's what you meant.
Ye that was what I was more getting at.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Which retcons do you mean?
I mean bringing back characters even if they died in your playthrough, with Leliana being the biggest example. There's also Oghren and Anders and maybe more I'm forgetting. I know Leliana gets explained but I highly doubt they planned on bringing her back when they let you kill her in Origins. I can't give you a source but I remember a Bioware dev talking about how this was something they wanted to avoid in the future. It seems like the way they went about that was to just not let the player kill companions anymore, so I was glad to see they had the balls to have Iron Bull die as a result of player choice.
Of course he can still appear again if he's alive in your save, but he can't be story critical like Leliana was. On the other hand I expect Dorian to play a big role in DA4 and he can only do that because he can't die in Inquisition.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I mean bringing back characters even if they died in your playthrough, with Leliana being the biggest example. There's also Oghren and Anders and maybe more I'm forgetting. I know Leliana gets explained but I highly doubt they planned on bringing her back when they let you kill her in Origins. I can't give you a source but I remember a Bioware dev talking about how this was something they wanted to avoid in the future. It seems like the way they went about that was to just not let the player kill companions anymore, so I was glad to see they had the balls to have Iron Bull die as a result of player choice.
Of course he can still appear again if he's alive in your save, but he can't be story critical like Leliana was. On the other hand I expect Dorian to play a big role in DA4 and he can only do that because he can't die in Inquisition.
Leliana does actually die if you killed her in Origin, they actually acknowledge it so it's not really a traditional retcon, and there's a very lore heavy excuse for it if you watch the Trespasser slide with that world state (think about Coles backstory)

Nov 3, 2017
How could you man?!?

HAHAHAHAHA

Reading this for folks who chose a different path. I will drink to your agony

IzCdUnq.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Leliana does actually die if you killed her in Origin, they actually acknowledge it so it's not really a traditional retcon, and there's a very lore heavy excuse for it if you watch the Trespasser slide with that world state (think about Coles backstory)
It's rather vague too. Is she a spirit? Is she an apparition? How was she tortured for an entire year during In Hushed Whispers if she's not really alive or human?
Kinda makes me think she might not appear in DA4, or have a much, much smaller role (like in DA2).

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, I understand that, I mentioned that it gets explained in my post. They only added that in Inquisition though, after the criticism they received for bringing her back in DA2. Even with that explanation it still feels unsatisfying and makes other optional deaths feel less meaningful because Bioware could always come up with an excuse to bring any character back to life (or as a lyrium ghost who acts exactly the same).
Like, imagine if in Mass Effect 2
Wrex was back even if you killed him in ME1 because "Krogan can regen". It would kinda make sense but still would've been super lame.

In Inquisition it seemed like they tried to avoid situations like this which is good but they went too far and just didn't let anyone die.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Damn, now I want to actually give it a shot as well. I do remember how I loved the Hinterlands but for some reason the game became a little boring for me after a while. Would you say the DLC goes back to the quality of DA Origins in terms of story?

Oh how I wish they had enhanced this game for the X and Pro.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I understand that, I mentioned that it gets explained in my post. They only added that in Inquisition though, after the criticism they received for bringing her back in DA2. Even with that explanation it still feels unsatisfying and makes other optional deaths feel less meaningful because Bioware could always come up with an excuse to bring any character back to life (or as a lyrium ghost who acts exactly the same).
Like, imagine if in Mass Effect 2
Wrex was back even if you killed him in ME1 because "Krogan can regen". It would kinda make sense but still would've been super lame.

In Inquisition it seemed like they tried to avoid situations like this which is good but they went too far and just didn't let anyone die.
Funny how you mention Mass Effect 2, Legion died in my ME2 suicide run and in 3 his personality just took over another geth body. I thought it was a lame cop out

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's rather vague too. Is she a spirit? Is she an apparition? How was she tortured for an entire year during In Hushed Whispers if she's not really alive or human?
Kinda makes me think she might not appear in DA4, or have a much, much smaller role (like in DA2).
Honestly they are still very vague about how Cole works too and he can become more "human" as it were. I'm assuming it's some Spirit lore as we don't know much about them. It's not the first time in the series spirits have helped cheat death, Wynn actually dies in DAO but a faith spirit then can keep her alive for ten years (then keeps someone else alive after that...). I strongly suspect Leliana and Cullen aren't going to feature much in the next game, I don't really know what more you'd get from them featuring? Dorian, Charter, maybe Josephine are much more likely to show up.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have a link to that slide or can summarise? No idea how to go about googling that :D

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the PC GOTY edition is $20 in the Steam sale (and they have a $5 coupon for your first purchase of $30 or more during the sale).

It includes the DLC, which is usually something like $15 a pop.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I literally forgot that this game existed and that I actually had a copy for my PS4. I played through the entire game and I don't remember a thing about, and never touched the DLC. I guess now's a good time to revisit it and get that DLC.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I wonder if Origins is like too ugly to play these days. I imagine it's aged poorly.

It was already too damn ugly and clunky for me to play back in 2015 when I tried to play it for the first time after finishing DA:I (which is the game that introduced me to the franchise). I didn't like it visually, nor on a gameplay level either. I ended up dropping it entirely after 5 hours of gameplay, and just read about the story instead. I still need to try DA2 too, maybe it aged better, but I somehow doubt it.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
It was already too damn ugly and clanky for me to play back in 2015 when I tried to play it for the first time after finishing DA:I (which is the game that introduced me to the franchise). I didn't like it visually, nor on a gameplay level either. I ended up dropping it entirely after 5 hours of gameplay, and just read about the story instead. I still need to try DA2 too, maybe it aged better, but I somehow doubt it.
Honestly at launch in 2009 it was pretty ugly too. Loved it though, and only two years after mass effect! Poor bioware.

No amount of time will make it look worse than Dragon Age II.
Da2 was such a meme at launch it never had a chance.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Origins is like too ugly to play these days. I imagine it's aged poorly.

Graphic wise ? Yes. It was ugly even back at 2009. Altho personally the more cinematic/AAA presentation at least helps it stand out even when compared to a more modern cRPG like DOS2/Pillars.

Gameplay wise ? Naw, as long as you don't mind RtwP. Not to mention the "role playing" element is easily one of Bioware's best.

It was already too damn ugly and clanky for me to play back in 2015 when I tried to play it for the first time after finishing DA:I (which is the game that introduced me to the franchise). I didn't like it visually, nor on a gameplay level either. I ended up dropping it entirely after 5 hours of gameplay, and just read about the story instead. I still need to try DA2 too, maybe it aged better, but I somehow doubt it.

In Dragon Age 2, your party use similar combat animation to Dragon Age Inquisition...while enemies still use animation from Dragon Age Origins....

Imo Dragon Age 2 aged worse than Origins. Its rushed development is really blatant (iirc it was made in like 18 months, and Hawke story was originally supposed to be side stuff)

Oct 28, 2017
DA:O plays fine on PC, are you all playing on consoles?

The characters looked ugly even on release, but it looks good enough to still be very playable in 2020.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
No amount of time will make it look worse than Dragon Age II.
True, though I'll always defend its Qunari designs! They were amazing, and it's such a shame they toned them down for Inquisition into human faces with horns slapped on top. I really hope that was a time constraint, and they make them look harsher again in DA4.

They went from this awesomeness:
78754327.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

To this...
maxresdefault.jpg

Which just makes me think of this:
maxresdefault.jpg

I haven't modded DA games before (created quite a lot of texture mods for Bethesda games though), but I'm very tempted to try modding DA2 style skin ridges and eye designs into Inquisition's Qunari. Especially for females, because some of the fan art for female Qunari was badass:
d7ujquw-f4d7ff92-dfb5-409d-abf6-1d0f76ef657b.jpg

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was already too damn ugly and clunky for me to play back in 2015 when I tried to play it for the first time after finishing DA:I (which is the game that introduced me to the franchise). I didn't like it visually, nor on a gameplay level either. I ended up dropping it entirely after 5 hours of gameplay, and just read about the story instead. I still need to try DA2 too, maybe it aged better, but I somehow doubt it.

Yeah, I marathoned the series leading up to Inquisition's release and have always had a hard time seeing how some people think Origins is so much better than the others. I mean I still really enjoyed it for the story and world, but definitely not for its looks or gameplay. I mostly preferred DA2 in that department, but it feels like it'd be kinda hard to go back to either one of them now. I do wish they'd at least give them the remaster treatment though, however unlikely that may be...

Nov 3, 2017
Afaik the qunari inquisitor were added late on the development? Probably why the qunari racial features looks a little off

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Afaik the qunari inquisitor were added late on the development? Probably why the qunari racial features looks a little off
Originally the game was supposed to be human only like DA2, all the other races were added when the game was delayed. Probably also explains why dwarf Inquisitors aren't surprised about dreaming in that one Solas scene, or why elf Inquisitors need to have elven gods explained to them by Morrigan. They're not implemented as well as they should be but I'm just glad they added them.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Planning to play this. What is the most fun class to play (with gamepad)?

If you want a pretty easy rotation, an archer assassin is pretty simple and effective. It would be a good first playthrough build.

For fun, you want a rogue or mage. I don't think warriors are particularly well-done in this game.

Nov 3, 2017
Originally the game was supposed to be human only like DA2, all the other races were added when the game was delayed. Probably also explains why dwarf Inquisitors aren't surprised about dreaming in that one Solas scene, or why elf Inquisitors need to have elven gods explained to them by Morrigan. They're not implemented as well as they should be but I'm just glad they added them.
Yeah, glad they added additional playable races instead of just another shem. Oh, I would hope DA4 would get the same treatment for playable races

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
To be fair, Andromeda was supposedly a good game that just wasn't up to par with the previous games in the series.
I'd agree with this. A lot of people focused on weirdo facial expressions and other nonsense that got fixed in patches. If it didn't have the Mass Effect badge on it, it would be praised as a good, or even great, sci fi adventure.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
If you want a pretty easy rotation, an archer assassin is pretty simple and effective. It would be a good first playthrough build.

For fun, you want a rogue or mage. I don't think warriors are particularly well-done in this game.

Reavers are nutty. It's the route I took my warrior down when I ended up making Cassandra the tank instead. Was always 2 warriors, ranger, and healer/support mage.

I always try to heavy micro the games anyway. Like in Origins I basically played it nearly turn based and tried to keep the same with Inquisition and 2 even though the game really *really* fights you trying that.

I can't give you a source but I remember a Bioware dev talking about how this was something they wanted to avoid in the future. It seems like the way they went about that was to just not let the player kill companions anymore, so I was glad to see they had the balls to have Iron Bull die as a result of player choice.

The wonderful logistics of actually making choices matter and diverging paths is the further you go the more you have to triage specific choices or branches or converge points back again to make things """not matter"""". Wasn't quite sure what you meant by the retcons but that makes perfect sense to side eye or question how they make those things actually play back in.

Like as cool as it is to see them briefly mentioned in Inquisition (deep Origins spoilers), I know why my Warden-Commander and god child can't possibly play a huge role in the stories (and why it has to be all told through Morrigan because she can't die) without converging story points or making a cheapo surrogate extra for routes or people's stories that don't have those as factors.

Last edited:

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Knight Enchanter. Get the spirit blade talent and the talent that lets your damage buff your barrier and then get Fire Mine from the pyromancy tree and give it the upgrade that creates 3 mines in front of you. Also make sure to get the barrier and dispel spells from the spirit tree. Everything after that is gravy but with those skills you become basically unkillable while doing loads of damage.
My G that Sword do some damage ! At 90+ It do some 700-900 damage ! *.*

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Characters I want to show up in DA4: Carver Hawke
Characters I'm like 99.9% certain will not show up in DA4: Carver Hawke

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Planning to play this. What is the most fun class to play (with gamepad)?

I loooved Tempest Dagger rogue. Backstabs do tons of damage, teleporting everywhere, elemental flask combos and counters, it's got it all.

I will say there's one good thing about warrior: Block and Slash never gets old.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Wait till you get to Trespasser.
DAI is an underrated game and the dlc is pretty good but trespasser is on a whole level
DAI is not underrated. It's overblown, overstays its welcome, the plot is poor and the villain is literally a DA2 DLC hand-me-down. It was only so well regarded because it was a decently polished game in the middle of the draught that characterised the beginning of generation. And this is coming from someone that loves DAO and spent 120 hours total with DAI and its DLCs. Which indeed are the best part of the game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Since this got a bump, let me just say that I am about 3/4 into Tevinter Nights and this book also slaps. I'm like... Hoping about half the cast is included as a companion in the next game.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
Inquisition's DLC are really good. It's the game the kept my hopes up for Bioware.

Also worth pointing out how badass your cat avatar looks as OP, Lunchbox.
9ZR5Kni.jpg

Punished Cat ftw!

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Obligatory Inquisition advice: LEAVE. THE. HINTERLANDS.

Don't engage with the scene-less fetch quests and other busywork unless you want to. Just concentrate on the meat of the game.

Am I the only one who loved the Hinterlands and the busywork? I like to quest about then advance the story when I feel compelled. Great atmosphere.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Since this got a bump, let me just say that I am about 3/4 into Tevinter Nights and this book also slaps. I'm like... Hoping about half the cast is included as a companion in the next game.
Oh wait until you get to the end! Guessing you've read Horrors of Hormak? That story just made me go O_O with the lore implications and the whole story felt so well written and creepy, made it actually hard to read. I love so many of the characters in that book, I really hope you see some of them in the next game though I suspect some of them are just showing factions we haven't seen before very much

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wait until you get to the end! Guessing you've read Horrors of Hormak? That story just made me go O_O with the lore implications and the whole story felt so well written and creepy, made it actually hard to read. I love so many of the characters in that book, I really hope you see some of them in the next game though I suspect some of them are just showing factions we haven't seen before very much
I hope we find out what's going on with the Executors and those across the sea. Anyone Solas thinks are bad news has to be interesting.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I hope we find out what's going on with the Executors and those across the sea. Anyone Solas thinks are bad news has to be interesting.
There inclusion I actually found very interesting cus it suggests they are actually very important lore wise but when they were mentioned in DAI I just thought they were a funny quest and now I really want to know who they are, we literally have no idea what their agenda is. So intriguing, I love how there's so much of the lore we still know little about.

From that story I have an theory about the faction we might play as in DA4, as they mention to factions outside the Inquisition who are fighting Solas who don't turn up, the Sicarri and the Qunari. Now for lore reasons, (it would limit classes because of how they treat mages and probably doesn't make much sense for certain races) probably not the Qunari, but as the Tevinter Sicarri, their spies come slaves, they can be any race or class. I just think that they'd be an interesting faction to play and it would make Tevinter as the base of operations.