• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a list somewhere of all the blood mages in DA2, because I also remember a lot of them just turned to blood magic in self defense, or were slavers from Tevinter. It's true that Bioware tried to "both sides" the issue pretty hard but I thought it was clear nonetheless that Meredith and Elthina were to blame for the whole mess.
Be that as it may, my point was that Cullen didn't really change that much in Inquisition. If we assume that the templars (and Cullen) were justified in DA2, then Cullen didn't really need to "come around", and he kinda didn't.

This thread is getting pretty off topic, we really need that OT lol.

Every mage in DA2 turns to blood magic, EVERY mage. I honestly can't think of a single mage you interact with who doesn't. They really tried to "both sides" the dispute really hard with DA2.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
This thread is getting pretty off topic, we really need that OT lol.

OK I'll be working on it, promise!

g83RYIv.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Every mage in DA2 turns to blood magic, EVERY mage. I honestly can't think of a single mage you interact with who doesn't. They really tried to "both sides" the dispute really hard with DA2.
I never really saw it as "both sides" and more as "oppression is truly what's causing mages to get desperate". The three games are filled with lore about mages that turned to blood magic as a desperate means of survival or protection, rather than just lust for power. And it's a cycle of oppression, because Templars in turn push even harder, never taking responsibility for driving the mages to desperate acts. I never felt the game was trying to justify the Templars' actions.

Blue for Sale

Sep 7, 2018
The whole templar-mage war is fault of the chantry. Their antimage stance makes the templars very oppressive towards mages, while making them addicts to lyrium which they control.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The whole templar-mage war is fault of the chantry. Their antimage stance makes the templars very oppressive towards mages, while making them addicts to lyrium which they control.
And lyrium is not only addictive but changes the taker to more emotionless and less caring as well. Something the chantry is fully aware of

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I originally beat the game in 2013, but only got aeound to the dlcs last year. I remember enjoying them, but don't really remember much of what happened in Trespasser besides this one event.
Iron Bull, my bro that was one my squad 24/7, betrayed me and I had to kill him.

I understand that it happened because I allowed his crew to die so we could gain support of the Qnari, in turn having him realign with Qunari, so when they turn against me so does he.

makes complete sense, but FUCK I made that choice 6yrs ago and you gotta do me dirty in a DLC?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I originally beat the game in 2013, but only got aeound to the dlcs last year. I remember enjoying them, but don't really remember much of what happened in Trespasser besides this one event.
Iron Bull, my bro that was one my squad 24/7, betrayed me and I had to kill him.

I understand that it happened because I allowed his crew to die so we could gain support of the Qnari, in turn having him realign with Qunari, so when they turn against me so does he.

makes complete sense, but FUCK I made that choice 6yrs ago and you gotta do me dirty in a DLC?
you let Krem and the chargers die?
How could you?

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
What is the best mage build in the game ? Never tried it and really want to create one.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
you let Krem and the chargers die?
How could you?
Yo, okay, I get how it looks, but we were facing a worldwide threat, and I didn't SACRIFICE them, I just didn't SAVE them at the expense of a whole army of badasses.

I understand why Bull stabbed me in the back, but goddamn in a DLC? I Thought my companions were safe

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
What is the best mage build in the game ? Never tried it and really want to create one.

Knight Enchanter. Get the spirit blade talent and the talent that lets your damage buff your barrier and then get Fire Mine from the pyromancy tree and give it the upgrade that creates 3 mines in front of you. Also make sure to get the barrier and dispel spells from the spirit tree. Everything after that is gravy but with those skills you become basically unkillable while doing loads of damage.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I always loved the Deep Roads in the DA games, so that DLC with Deep Roads was awesome to me. So many enemies to fight, loot to find, and I like the setting.

Mar 9, 2018
Mages are born with rocket launches as fingers and gasoline in their blood.

A child, possessed by a demon, slaughtered most of old Redcliffe.

A mage, right now, is plotting to unzip the world after having zipped it. How could we not regulate mages?

And by the way, we need to regulate Templars, too. For they are mages of a different sort, mages in disguise with special abilities from lyrium.

I would like the Divine to care about those of us without magic, without lyrium, without fancy titles. Stop oppressing elves, stop selling them to Tevinter. Let all people become revered mothers, even if the Maker is a lie. Keep the circles. Reform them. Reform the templar order.

In my opinion.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yo, okay, I get how it looks, but we were facing a worldwide threat, and I didn't SACRIFICE them, I just didn't SAVE them at the expense of a whole army of badasses.

I understand why Bull stabbed me in the back, but goddamn in a DLC? I Thought my companions were safe
Let this be an important lesson to you. The Qun do not consider treaties with Bas as important and fulfil them only when it suits the Qun to do so. Also, never ever let Krem die

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I did some googling and couldn't find definitive answers - did either console get any kind of boost/upgrade/patch? Is PC by far the best way to play this? I played about 20 hours across two characters on original Xbox and poked back at this a few months ago on X1X and it looked so, so, so ugly I hate to admit I just gave up, but hearing this makes me want to play it.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Knight Enchanter. Get the spirit blade talent and the talent that lets your damage buff your barrier and then get Fire Mine from the pyromancy tree and give it the upgrade that creates 3 mines in front of you. Also make sure to get the barrier and dispel spells from the spirit tree. Everything after that is gravy but with those skills you become basically unkillable while doing loads of damage.
Thanks ! I always find them to be boring, hope things are going to change with that play.
I did some googling and couldn't find definitive answers - did either console get any kind of boost/upgrade/patch? Is PC by far the best way to play this? I played about 20 hours across two characters on original Xbox and poked back at this a few months ago on X1X and it looked so, so, so ugly I hate to admit I just gave up, but hearing this makes me want to play it.
You'll love the story so much that graphics will not be a problem.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks ! I always find them to be boring, hope things are going to change with that play.

I don't know if you played KE before the Trespasser patch but they made Spirit Blade something you have to weave between other spells now so it's not really a one button spam spec like it used to be. I find it pretty interactive.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't know if you played KE before the Trespasser patch but they made Spirit Blade something you have to weave between other spells now so it's not really a one button spam spec like it used to be. I find it pretty interactive.

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know that.

I never actually did another playthrough after the final patch that added Trials and additional ability traits. I'm really pumped to dive back in sometime.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just started this game. Got hold of the GOTY edition with all DLC included, and I have been wanting to play it since release, but I never got around to it. About 8 hours into it, moving away from The Hinterlands. I have no clue what is actually going on though. It feels like I am just trying to get quests done in order to get points to unlock new areas, but I don't feel I am truly progressing in terms of gear or story, at least not with a whole lot of aimed efforts. Anyone got a guide to refer to or something, because I am enjoying the gameplay a lot!

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Personally love putting Briala in charge of Orlais and making Leliana divine. Fuck Celene and I love Cass but not as divine.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
I tried to play with Vivienne but the button spamming was boring.

Just started this game. Got hold of the GOTY edition with all DLC included, and I have been wanting to play it since release, but I never got around to it. About 8 hours into it, moving away from The Hinterlands. I have no clue what is actually going on though. It feels like I am just trying to get quests done in order to get points to unlock new areas, but I don't feel I am truly progressing in terms of gear or story, at least not with a whole lot of aimed efforts. Anyone got a guide to refer to or something, because I am enjoying the gameplay a lot!
Take your time to fully explore every area. If you want some challenge you can fight the weaker dragons.

Nov 3, 2017
Does he come around, though? Cullen in DA:I honestly reminds me of how Daenerys was handled towards the end of Game of Thrones. A character is presented in a different light and the audience is supposed to just accept it, but there's no real character development. Cullen is an extremist in DA2, right up until the end where Meredith wants to execute every mage in Kirkwall for a crime they didn't commit and he goes along with it. Then in Inquisition suddenly he's a Good Boi™ and you're supposed to love him, but he never actually works to atone for his crimes, gets punished in any way, or even seems to have changed his views that much. In fact, he lowkey defends Meredith, saying that "her methods were harsh, but they kept people safe".
I get that canonically he's supposed to be a changed man but it's just really badly written.
Basically:
a8d9de2f4db58b7187095701472fd787790b1ccd.jpg

(Source)

Seeing this art for the first time this never actually crossed my mind.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Bringing this back to Inquisition, I must be in the minority but I really loved how they did Hawke in that game (even if I got the import bug and had to restart, lol). I thought it was the best they could have done to bring back a previous protagonist, and they devoted a reasonable amount of screen time and development to someone who wasn't even a part of the party.
I just don't understand why Hawke had to be so opinionated regarding blood magic and the Wardens, of course that was going to piss some people off, and it's just so unneccesary. It's also weird how they're all about fighting Corypheus to atone for releasing him, but then just go to Weisshaupt instead.
There's Anders (bad example maybe lol), Bethany, Feynriel, the Saarebas and one or two of the mages you hunt down for Meredith, off the top of my head. Also a lot of the circle mages during The Last Straw. It's not literally every mage.
OK I'll be working on it, promise!
Awesome!

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the goty edition might be on ea access but nope, just get a tiny discount to purchase it :(

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
There are only 4 valid templars and they are Alistair, Carver, Samson and Barris. All the others are GARBAGE.

Also Aveline sucks there I said it.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I almost want to do a poll here: Who honestly got the Leliana Divine outcome without a guide? That shit is damn near impossible.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also lol at DA taking a "both sides" position when it comes the Templars v Mages. Every possible Divine ending in DAI takes power away from the Templars.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I disagree with that too, the only time it even comes close is Anders forcing the conflict at the end but even then that was because he realized that nothing was going to change.
And he and Justice had both made each other worse versions of each other to become Vengence. Though ironically it's not even Anders that ends up causing the Mage Rebellion but the main causes are Wynne and Cole (and Wynne's son but Wynne more on purpose set it in motion with her plans, even if she didn't seem to originally want an armed conflict if it could be avoided)

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It will be a while before she posts a new a video, but Ghil Dirthalen is really good (bonus points if you know the origins of her name). She has lore videos on Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Inquisition. As well as codex videos from Origins up to Inquisition. There are a few more youtubers I can name, but honestly I only ever pay attention to her.
Yea I watched the shit out of her playlist this morning lol I had to eventually go to bed :P

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Personally love putting Briala in charge of Orlais and making Leliana divine. Fuck Celene and I love Cass but not as divine.

I love putting Briala & Celene in charge together equally. I know I maybe shouldn't, Celene can be hella trash, but I just love a power lesbian couple, and I love reconciliation, can't help it. Also, same for Leliana as Divine, but only if she's softened. Hardened Divine Leliana is a whole can of worms I'd rather never open, eesh!

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I love putting Briala & Celene in charge together equally. I know I maybe shouldn't, Celene can be hella trash, but I just love a power lesbian couple, and I love reconciliation, can't help it.

I remember that Celene had Briala's parents killed and abused and racially fetishised her and I nope tf out of there tbh

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love putting Briala & Celene in charge together equally. I know I maybe shouldn't, Celene can be hella trash, but I just love a power lesbian couple, and I love reconciliation, can't help it. Also, same for Leliana as Divine, but only if she's softened. Hardened Divine Leliana is a whole can of worms I'd rather never open, eesh!
Sometimes you crack a few chantry eggs to make a more equal Thedas.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I remember that Celene had Briala's parents killed and abused and racially fetishised her and I nope tf out of there tbh

I had forgotten about that, definitely fucking trash, damn. I still remember from The Masked Empire a very clear loving relationship between the two though. Also, gotta be real here, while I do love Briala, girl would probably end up dead in a hot second should she be the only one to rule. Celene + Briala, to me, ensures stability, legitimacy, while also moving elvhen rights forward in a way that will seldom get contested, and that's the bigger picture I wanted to get at all along.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
So does the base game.

It's still GOTY.

Everyone focuses on the collect-a-thon sidequests, ignoring the extremely well-characterized cast, well-acted cast, the deep conversations you can have with them, the beautiful world...

Shit I think I need to play DA:I again.

Oct 30, 2017
I actually played this and finished at launch but never even considered the DLC because I was so turned off with how the game came across as an offline MMO to me. This after having completed origins around 19 different ways from Sunday

Sounds like the DLC fixed that. Should I pick it up then...?!

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Leliana is totally the best pick for divine, she even come back to life to prove it!
(and no i never killed leliana in my games but its funny how its a possibility in DAO but then they wrote the rest of the story with her in mind and "shit we need something to justify her head attaching back HOLY ASHES there you go bye)

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I started replaying this too for tresspasser, but didnt know it was on steam lol. I got it a year go for like 6 bucks goty for origin. I wanted to get DA 2 and just start from scratch from origin to dai. You guys think ots worrh it starting from scratch and doing 2 again?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Same, Briala deserves so much better - and honestly Celene comes across as the worst ruler of the group, she throws away her "morals" (most of the good stuff for the elves seems to come from the efforts of Briala) at the drop of the hat if it threatens her power, and if she actually cared about her people in Orlais and avoiding blood shed she could have come to an allegiance with Gaspard (who ironically had a better claim for the throne then her) but refused because that would have meant suceeding power. Just like it really does not take much convincing for her to massacre the Elves in Halamshiral nor did she seem to hesitate with killing Briala's family and kisses her right after it happens. Celene is the most power hungry of them all but wraps it up as her being better and fairer in her mind. Whereas Briala blackmailing Gaspard seems to get real change for the elves while also not having to deal with someone who manipulated and used her for years.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I started replaying this too for tresspasser, but didnt know it was on steam lol. I got it a year go for like 6 bucks goty for origin. I wanted to get DA 2 and just start from scratch from origin to dai. You guys think ots worrh it starting from scratch and doing 2 again?

I dont know if the keep is still active but it would be nice just to have your own tapestry and stuff i guess. Cant see myself ever replaying DA2 though. The game itself replays DA2 over and over and over.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Leliana is totally the best pick for divine, she even come back to life to prove it!
(and no i never killed leliana in my games but its funny how its a possibility in DAO but then they wrote the rest of the story with her in mind and "shit we need something to justify her head attaching back HOLY ASHES there you go bye)
Have you seen the slide for Trespasser if Leliana died in The Temple of Sacred Ashes? Let's say it seems like much more of a Cole situation going on

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Have you seen the slide for Trespasser if Leliana died in The Temple of Sacred Ashes? Let's say it seems like much more of a Cole situation going on

as i said i never killed leliana so not really. now i have a reason for a replay i guess. maybe i will finally do the total asshole playthrough i always wanted to (and always give up immediately because i cant bring myself to be evil in games and specially not in DA where you can be such a monumental bastard)