• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Ur missing out because he's got all the angst and drama of Solas but with a happy ending and a magnificent beard.
He does have a magnificent beard. I'm guessing you didn't put him in the Grey Wardens then? I did thinking it would be good for him as it's what he always wanted and would help him give back to the world but now after Trespasser and with the Civil War for the wardens seemingly under way, am very concerned for him and wonder what I sen him into.

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man its been so long since we got the last game, I hope Inquisition gets a PS5 patch. Also would hope EA did some re-release of 1 and 2 but that doesnt seem likely.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Ur missing out because he's got all the angst and drama of Solas but with a happy ending and a magnificent beard.

Don't try to save me, I'm too far gone, I'm a lost cause here.

nLCVk64.gif

PS: Beards do nothing for me, I actually don't like them.

He does have a magnificent beard. I'm guessing you didn't put him in the Grey Wardens then? I did thinking it would be good for him as it's what he always wanted and would help him give back to the world but now after Trespasser and with the Civil War for the wardens seemingly under way, am very concerned for him and wonder what I sen him into.

I always forgive Blackwall and let him stay in the Inquisition, he's a good man despite his mistakes.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Don't try to save me, I'm too far gone, I'm a lost cause here.

nLCVk64.gif

PS: Beards do nothing for me, I actually don't like them.

Oh no! I always forgive Blackwall and let him stay in the Inquisition, he's a good man despite his mistakes.
I thought it would be what he wanted and what the original Blackwall wanted! Though I think we all realise from my posts that I make bad decisions, afterall, I romanced Solas. And Anders. And Alistair who I then didn't want to sleep with Morrigan so I had to sacrifice myself so he wouldn't die. Truly terrible decision making.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Trepasser is incredible ! I didn't even know what to say or feel at the end.

I always knew Solas was fishy but not THAT bad. I thought the mighty Inquisitor was going to stomp him but he took his arm and disappeared like the thief he was ! HIS ARM ! How do you want the Inquisitor to fight with his hammer with only one hand ?

A shame we are in 2020 and still no fourth opus.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I be reading the wiki a lot, thanks for the blog & recommendations rras1994

I did find a rabbit hole tho...YouTube lore
Thanks Lunchbox, that was a youtuber I was blanking on and was meaning to watch them again. Also, I'd really recommend the Dragon Age books, specifically the three that came out before Inquisition and Tevinter Nights which came out this year and has some real interesting lore going on. Also has more Dorian which is always good

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I really loved The Masked Empire, I never finished The Stolen Throne for some reason though. Maybe I should try again. Need to give Asunder and Tevinter Nights a go, especially the latter, it'll probably be important to DA4 (already suspect DA4 will be played in Tevinter).

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
alright it's settled after this play through and finishing up Origins I'm gonna read the books.

Hakkon is going great I'm liking actually having fade rifts to do and the freaking astariums are back, that first one took me 20 minutes pretty embarrassing; forgot what the shard were for as well in this game too but I'm excited about
having an opportunity to meet a new inquisitor & what the Jaws of Hakkon are doing in the region, the dialog with the Master of the Hunt was hilarious 😂

"I'll not be your suicide old man."
Writing on point in this & OMG Harding is back!

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I really loved The Masked Empire, I never finished The Stolen Throne for some reason though. Maybe I should try again. Need to give Asunder and Tevinter Nights a go, especially the latter, it'll probably be important to DA4 (already suspect DA4 will be played in Tevinter).
There's some interesting lore bits in The Calling and I like how it goes into how much Wardens actually end up sacrificing (though I think Last Flight does it better) but I honestly don't think that The Stolen Throne and The Calling are as good as say Asunder, The Masked Empire and The Last Flight. They have a bit too many stereotypical fantasy stuff like somehow the main hero has the main women characters falling over him even though they outright didn't like them at the start and the main hero didn't really do much to change their minds. There is some good moments but not as many as the later novels. I'd really recommend Tevinter Nights as it's an anthology so you get a broad scope of some of the regions we haven't seen at all in the games, get really diverse protag and there's some really good lore dumps.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
I wasn't too fond of Inquisition in general, but the Trespasser DLC was really worth it (I didn't romance Solas, but he was the party member my elf Inquisitor had the best bond with), and it left me excited for a follow-up... which still might never come at this rate.

Last edited:

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Still need to play this. I got stuck in the Descent trying to kill the emissarys.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this back up. Didn't play the DLC, starting a new save because I barely remember how to play and some of the story beats.

Man I miss this sort of game. Even with its issues, nobody is really doing this sort of game anymore it feels like, and the few that have are pretty far off the mark.

As burnt out as I got on Bioware and Bethesda games, their slowed output has really highlighted how much I can easily get lost in their worlds.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Picked this back up. Didn't play the DLC, starting a new save because I barely remember how to play and some of the story beats.

Man I miss this sort of game. Even with its issues, nobody is really doing this sort of game anymore it feels like, and the few that have are pretty far off the mark.

As burnt out as I got on Bioware and Bethesda games, their slowed output has really highlighted how much I can easily get lost in their worlds.
Same, games like Greedfall no offense to Spiders just doesn't do it for me.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
There's some interesting lore bits in The Calling and I like how it goes into how much Wardens actually end up sacrificing (though I think Last Flight does it better) but I honestly don't think that The Stolen Throne and The Calling are as good as say Asunder, The Masked Empire and The Last Flight. They have a bit too many stereotypical fantasy stuff like somehow the main hero has the main women characters falling over him even though they outright didn't like them at the start and the main hero didn't really do much to change their minds. There is some good moments but not as many as the later novels. I'd really recommend Tevinter Nights as it's an anthology so you get a broad scope of some of the regions we haven't seen at all in the games, get really diverse protag and there's some really good lore dumps.

Honestly, your criticism of The Stolen Throne checks out, and might be part of why I somehow stopped reading and never felt compelled to come back to it. I might just drop it and jump to Asunder, only heard good things about it, it also is featuring my best boï Cole. Will definitely give Tevinter Nights a go for sure, just need to buy it first :D

Scout Harding better be a companion in the DA4 reboot.

Agreed, and make her romanceable too. Flirting with her at the start of a new map was a fun highlight of DA:I tbh.

Last edited:

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've bounced off this game a few times in the past, but I think I'd probably really enjoy it if I gave it a proper chance.

Added to my PSN wishlist, will pick this up next time a good sale appears. I actually thought we were in the middle of some PSN sale now, disappointing to see that the GOTY edition is still $40

Oct 25, 2017
Trespasser DLC plus female elf who romanced Solas equals:
:(
Is it worth it going this route, then? I was having trouble deciding on my character for my first playthrough of DAI, specifically due to the romance options, hahaha.

Dorian, Cullen and Josephine are so cute, though. Cullen is an idiot, but he looks too good in this game.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with the books is they all feel like they needed a second pass by a professional editor. Hard in Hightown was great and Tevinter Nights has some awesome stories. My faves are Down Among the Dead Men and Luck in the Gardens, both by Sylvia Feketekuty (who wrote Josie in DA:I and Liara in ME3).

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Is it worth it going this route, then?

I honestly think it does. Romancing Solas allows you to have a much deeper insight into the kind of person he actually is, a much better understanding of where he comes from, and why he does what he does. He is a truly tragic character, in the sense that there's so much goodness in him, so much empathy, but he's absolutely ridden with insurmountable crushing guilt to the point it clouds everything he feels and does, thus making him become a villain. He's incredibly well-written, in my opinion.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Does this DLC ever go on sale or is it a Mass Effect situation?

I own the base game on both Origin and PSN.

Oct 25, 2017
You should absolutely ignore a lot of them or at least not insist on doing them all at once. Inquisition takes the split approach where the most important quests have proper cutscenes and whatnot, including side stuff (like your follower missions), and the rest are MMO-like fetch quests with minimal context and dialogue. Often it'll literally be like "I need 5 of this herb to make this broth", followed by "Hmm, looks like a need more, can you go get 15?".

From memory there's no real gate keeping in the game either, so you can at any point return to old areas and clean them up. For me Inquisition was a nice cosy game, and when I felt like not really pushing into harder areas or the story it was easy to boot up and comb over those aforementioned MMO-like side quests. Whereas when I felt more focused I'd go through the main story stuff.

No mods for the PC version that I'm aware of. I played it as vanilla with a pad and found it mostly fine. Gorgeous looking game.
Does the game make it obvious which side quests are worth doing, when thinking about production values?

I honestly think it does. Romancing Solas allows you to have a much deeper insight into the kind of person he actually is, a much better understanding of where he comes from, and why he does what he does. He is a truly tragic character, in the sense that there's so much goodness in him, so much empathy, but he's absolutely ridden with insurmountable crushing guilt to the point it clouds everything he feels and does, thus making him become a villain. He's incredibly well-written, in my opinion.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. That does sound like a story worth following through. It's good to know, too, because from what I've seen I'd likely never romance him without someone telling me to, both due to his design and apparent personality.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
This reminds me I never played the DLC apart from a short bit of Descent.

Might just drop the difficulty to easy and blast through it all. I really loved the characters and lore in that game, which surprised me because I always found Dragon Age quite dull up until that point.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Descent and Jaws of Hakkon aren't all that interesting. Luckily Trespasser is a lot better and provides a lot of lore and plot twists.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the detailed explanation. That does sound like a story worth following through. It's good to know, too, because from what I've seen I'd likely never romance him without someone telling me to, both due to his design and apparent personality.

As much as one romance option can, Lavellan x Solas really feels like the canon route.

Being an elven mage romancing Solas affords the player deeper understanding of and interaction with so many layers of the game -- not just surrounding Solas, either; half the areas in the game are deeply tailored to elves.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is it worth it going this route, then? I was having trouble deciding on my character for my first playthrough of DAI, specifically due to the romance options, hahaha.

Dorian, Cullen and Josephine are so cute, though. Cullen is an idiot, but he looks too good in this game.

If it serves as consolation this is the best Cullen we ever had, his crime is just bring too vanilla and boring compared to the other more outlandish options. And he indeed looks good

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Does this DLC ever go on sale or is it a Mass Effect situation?

I own the base game on both Origin and PSN.
I bought the entire game with DLC on Origin for $13ish bucks last month.

Also, I don't like it? Roaming the first area doing what feel very much like MMO quests. I'm ready to love another Dragon Age game but this just isn't doing it for me.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Also, I don't like it? Roaming the first area doing what feel very much like MMO quests. I'm ready to love another Dragon Age game but this just isn't doing it for me.

Don't roam the first area if you're not having fun. If you can move on, move on, the story will pick up too. There are no "locks" around the hinterlands areas so one could legit waste hours wandering around it doing the MMO quests if they don't decide to leave on their oen

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Obligatory Inquisition advice: LEAVE. THE. HINTERLANDS.

Don't engage with the scene-less fetch quests and other busywork unless you want to. Just concentrate on the meat of the game.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Yeah the first area is quite frankly a chore to go through and complete and it doesn't do any service to the game at all (even more so if you're a completionist like me), as people have to push through it to get to the good parts. I really don't like the Hinterlands, but at least it has the decency to not be completely exhausting to look at and be in, unlike some other maps.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Man I respect Solavellan shippers but I cannot Vibe with u at all I hate Solas lol. When he tells Adaar they're a credit to their race I want to punt him off the balcony. DA4 better give me the option to make an omelette.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway this thread is making me want to go back and play my new canon mage Trevelyan who's gonna smooch the best boy, Blackwall

I could never really get over him ordering the killing of an entire family. I still let him join the Grey Wardens, but I'd never have my female inquisitor romance him. Cullen is female Inquisitor's best life.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Man I respect Solavellan shippers but I cannot Vibe with u at all I hate Solas lol. When he tells Adaar they're a credit to their race I want to punt him off the balcony.
There's times I love him and there's times when I think he's a pompous racist ass who thinks he knows best for everyone and who I want to keep punching. There's times when I do think he cares and wants to make the world a better place and is sincere in that but then his prejudices come up and seriously needs slapped. I think it also helps that I played through as a Dalish Elf first and he truly comes across as a person that does seem to know about Elhvish culture and history, and that can be very enthralling as that background? But if you are playing as TalVashoth or Dwarf he is so racist, I can see where the hate would come from. There's parts of him I love and parts of him I absolutely loathe and they are basically fighting each other all the time.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I could never really get over him ordering the killing of an entire family. I still let him join the Grey Wardens, but I'd never have my female inquisitor romance him. Cullen is female Inquisitor's best life.

Cullen........... mr "mages are not people like you and me"............................. lol ok. DAI is a bad game because my Hawke didn't walk into Skyhold and immediately mind blast him off the ramparts.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Man I respect Solavellan shippers but I cannot Vibe with u at all I hate Solas lol. When he tells Adaar they're a credit to their race I want to punt him off the balcony.

Lmao, I get that, I'm honestly used to people hating him. It's incredibly interesting to put Solas & Iron Bull in the same party over and over again, because at first they're being pretty confrontational to one another, Solas really disliking anything from the Qun (not without reasons), but he'd still ask questions, initiate conversation, and their banters progress to a point of mutual respect and understanding, and shows that despite being an arrogant opinionated know-it-all at first, he's also very capable of growth, empathy and understanding.

But yeah there's a certain condescending paternalizing tone that he has, even while romancing Lavellan, that is irksome as hell to deal with (and is one of the reasons that I want to punch his face). But he's also much much more than that, thankfully. But I don't blame anybody for not wanting or not being able to get past it, that's very personal and legitimate.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to DA4...

Do you all want to see the Inquisitor come back? Personally what I would do is make it so you still have full control over their dialogue and such but not actually be playable (due to their arm).

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
In regards to DA4...

Do you want to see the Inquisitor come back? Personally what I would do is make it so you still have full control over their dialogue and such but not actually be playable (due to their arm).
Honestly, I don't. In fact bringing them back as a protag would sort of make me love DAI less as I loved how they made it seem like a chosen one story and then it turned out
you were being manipulated and used by Solas all the time, did what he wanted you to do and he has infiltrated your organisation and knows how you operate so you are literally one of the worst people in the world of Thedas to deal with stopping him personally. And the only reason you know any of this information is he decides to let you know it
. I might be okay with a cameo of the inquisitor but I'd prefer to have someone like Dorian or Josie or Charter be a go between character. I want a completely new protag who actually comes from Northern Thedas.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I might be okay with a cameo of the inquisitor but I'd prefer to have someone like Dorian or Josie or Charter be a go between character. I want a completely new protag who actually comes from Northern Thedas.

See I get that but at the same time the way Hawke was handled in DAI was awful and I don't want them to do that to my inquisitor.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I get Solas even if I'm determined to stop his ass.

Solas is like someone going to sleep today and then waking up in the world if Idiocracy, except even worse. You got people pouring Gatorade on their plants to make it grow, people worshiping rocks, your own people placing slave marks on their face because they don't even know what they mean, demons running amok, and constant warfare. Oh, and there are all these new races running around who might as well be mutated offspring who also believe in zany shit like The Qun.

Now imagine that you can fix all that with some magic artifact but unfortunately those mutated people gotta die, for Solas the choice seems obvious. These people are an abomination of ignorance and decay, sorry if they gotta go.

Still gonna crack that egg if he doesn't stop.

See I get that but at the same time the way Hawke was handled in DAI was awful and I don't want them to do that to my inquisitor.

I enjoyed seeing my Hawke in DA:I. Also, obviously Stroud bit the demon. You really think I'm going to leave Isabelle alone BioWare? Such a hard choice, lol.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't. In fact bringing them back as a protag would sort of make me love DAI less as I loved how they made it seem like a chosen one story and then it turned out
you were being manipulated and used by Solas all the time, did what he wanted you to do and he has infiltrated your organisation and knows how you operate so you are literally one of the worst people in the world of Thedas to deal with stopping him personally. And the only reason you know any of this information is he decides to let you know it
. I might be okay with a cameo of the inquisitor but I'd prefer to have someone like Dorian or Josie or Charter be a go between character. I want a completely new protag who actually comes from Northern Thedas.

But I think the problem is that having them not around completely takes away from the final choice of Trespasser.

Like...

"I want to stop you! But I'm going to send other people to do it and never confront you myself."

Just seems off.

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda had the opposite reaction...I just couldn't get into the DLC at all. Felt really tangential to the main story, outside of Trespasser. And I even ended up turning down the difficulty in Trespasser so I could burn through it and get to the ending.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I... kinda want to play my Inquisitor again to be honest. I feel like she has a special link and an incredible advantage to stop Solas, if there's one person in whole Thedas who knows him best and could help in that matter the most, it's her. He has true deep feelings for her, that much is true, and that can be an important tool in stopping him. I have a beef, I'm on a mission, and I need closure, whichever it is. Either save Solas from himself and save the world from his stupid crushing guilt, teach him to forgive himself and move on, or kill him if there's no other way, but... yeah, in my mind, my Inquisitor is absolutely not done at all, it's just the start.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed seeing my Hawke in DA:I. Also, obviously Stroud bit the demon. You really think I'm going to leave Isabelle alone BioWare? Such a hard choice, lol.

Hawke suddenly being ardently anti-blood magic (even if they are a blood mage and are dating Merrill) is kind of wtf. Also I always sacrifice Hawke lmao

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Does the game make it obvious which side quests are worth doing, when thinking about production values?

The game never comes outright and says it, but I would say do the quests that start in Skyhold (this includes companion missions) and you can skip pretty much all of them that start in the zones themselves. I say pretty much because it's usually worth doing the "main" quest that defines each zone (which is usually obvious) as some of them are really good like the one in Crestwood. But even that one has zilch production values. There's very little to no "shot-reverse-shot" style camera in any of the open world quests, much less cutscenes.

I would also recommend anyone keep up with the War Table quests. Not only do they consistently have better writing than the open world side quests, they have good rewards and one of them unlocks an NPC in Skyhold that lets you buy Power for coin, further reducing the bloat and Power grinding.

I... kinda want to play my Inquisitor again to be honest. I feel like she has a special link and an incredible advantage to stop Solas, if there's one person in whole Thedas who knows him best and could help in that matter the most, it's her. He has true deep feelings for her, that much is true, and that can be an important tool in stopping him. I have a beef, I'm on a mission, and I need closure, whichever it is. Either save Solas from himself and save the world from his stupid crushing guilt, teach him to forgive himself and move on, or kill him if there's no other way, but... yeah, in my mind, my Inquisitor is absolutely not done at all, it's just the start.

I wonder how much longer they are going to keep the series going. While I get that different protagonist each time is Dragon Age's thing, if this is - just for example - the last game in the series, it really should be the Inquisitor again. Granted, I have no reason to believe they are planning to end the series but there are definitely pros and cons to both approaches.