• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Inquisition is weirdly underrated, despite being a critical success. I loved my time with it.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
DA:I's DLC is some of the very best Dragon Age content, period. All three are top notch.

My only complaint about them is that Trespasser shouldn't have been DLC at all; it was the real ending to Inquisition's story, and Corypheus was a poor feint. So many people dismiss Inquisition having not played its DLC, and that's a huge mistake and shame. But I also have difficulty blaming them for being underwhelmed by the pre-DLC main story, considering how boring an antagonist Corypheus was.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
DA:I's DLC is some of the very best Dragon Age content, period. All three are top notch.

My only complaint about them is that Trespasser shouldn't have been DLC at all; it was the real ending to Inquisition's story, and Corypheus was a poor feint. So many people dismiss Inquisition having not played its DLC, and that's a huge mistake and shame. But I also have difficulty blaming them for being underwhelmed by the pre-DLC main story, considering how boring an antagonist Corypheus was.
Corypheus was set up so well too from the DA II stuff and then there's just no build up at the end of Inquisition it's weird.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, maybe I'll finally try to play DA:I for a fourth time. The combat is just so fucking dull, but I want to see the story.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
When I saw the title I thought OP meant Trespasser..

If you think Descent is good (which it is), Trespasser will blow you away

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I think my ranking of the DLC would be:
Trespasser >>>>>> Jaws of Hakkon >>> Descent
Bear in mind, Descent is still a very good and enjoyable DLC in that ranking.

Oct 27, 2017
Trespasser being so good and setting up the next game is why it hurts so much that DAIV has been rebooted from the original idea and the leads gone.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
Damn, I might have to go back to it. I platinumed the game after it came out, but I recently looked at my trophies and it's now a platinum with only 66% completed trophies, suggesting I have a lot of work to do on the DLC stuff. But it's so hard to re-enter a game like DA:I. A new character might be in line.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trespasser is legitimately some of the greatest content BioWare has ever created, and single-handedly makes the entire journey of Inquisition worth it.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I bought the DLC on a recent sale and recently replayed the game to play the DLC and get the Nightmare achievement (not that bad)

I actually liked the Descent more than the Jaws of Hakkon personally. Trespasser was fine. It's a shame the next game got sidelined as long as it did.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Also, I'd like to point out that playing Jaws of Hakkon as an elvhen mage having romanced Solas, gives it a whole another dimension to it entirely. The parallels between the two main characters of Jaws of Hakkon and Lavellan & Solas are glaringly obvious and all the more heartbreaking and sad. Especially if you play it right after Solas broke up with your Lavellan.

Ameridan being an elvhen mage Inquisitor, and Telana being an elvhen dreamer mage, and their love being utterly beautiful yet tragic, definitely wasn't unnoticed to anybody playing a Lavellan romancing Solas.

The fact Solas has a ton of dialogues during this DLC, and always speaks first as well, is very telling. This was clearly made on purpose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I bought the DLC on a recent sale and recently replayed the game to play the DLC and get the Nightmare achievement (not that bad)

I actually liked the Descent more than the Jaws of Hakkon personally. Trespasser was fine. It's a shame the next game got sidelined as long as it did.
I just didn't like how short the end of Descent was, I wish more things were explained properly.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Descent is like Omega with lore implications: I remember it being really combat-centric and since I played it through with my rogue tempest I fakkin loved it. Jaws is cool and I love the story behind it. It's also the first Inquisition zone with true verticality similar to other open world games that came after.

Trespasser is the kind of DLC that singlehandedly keeps your fanbase invested for 8 years until the next game, lol.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I mean it's hard to be worse than the main game, which is extremely bad. Best game of a shit year, sure, but it is still bad.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trespasser is so fn amazing. Totally redeemed a game that otherwise disappointed me

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Making me want to have another go at this game. From what I remember I got really burnt out on the side quests as I don't like missing stuff but maybe I should give it another go and ignore most of them?

Any good mods for the PC version?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
DLC bundle just went on sale on XB1 for $7.50
www.microsoft.com

Buy Dragon Age™: Inquisition DLC Bundle - Microsoft Store

This bundle includes all the story content: Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, and Trespasser. You’ll also get the two add-ons: Spoils of the Avvar, and Spoils of the Qunari. These include specialized gear, legendary weapons, and diverse mounts. Note, you need to own the base game Dragon Age™...

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
DLC bundle just went on sale on XB1 for $7.50
www.microsoft.com

Buy Dragon Age™: Inquisition DLC Bundle - Microsoft Store

This bundle includes all the story content: Jaws of Hakkon, The Descent, and Trespasser. You’ll also get the two add-ons: Spoils of the Avvar, and Spoils of the Qunari. These include specialized gear, legendary weapons, and diverse mounts. Note, you need to own the base game Dragon Age™...
Good looking out!

Hunting high dragons has become quite tedious with all the xtra quests.. I forgot how bad the quests are in the base game at least.

I'm 5/10 from the previous 3/10 maybe I'll just go to the Frostback & come back kill dragons then finally start Trespasser.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Making me want to have another go at this game. From what I remember I got really burnt out on the side quests as I don't like missing stuff but maybe I should give it another go and ignore most of them?

You should absolutely ignore a lot of them or at least not insist on doing them all at once. Inquisition takes the split approach where the most important quests have proper cutscenes and whatnot, including side stuff (like your follower missions), and the rest are MMO-like fetch quests with minimal context and dialogue. Often it'll literally be like "I need 5 of this herb to make this broth", followed by "Hmm, looks like a need more, can you go get 15?".

From memory there's no real gate keeping in the game either, so you can at any point return to old areas and clean them up. For me Inquisition was a nice cosy game, and when I felt like not really pushing into harder areas or the story it was easy to boot up and comb over those aforementioned MMO-like side quests. Whereas when I felt more focused I'd go through the main story stuff.

No mods for the PC version that I'm aware of. I played it as vanilla with a pad and found it mostly fine. Gorgeous looking game.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I also just picked this up on sale. Haven't started it, and I just realized I have no idea how the DLC works. Is it integrated into the main campaign? Postgame? Standalone?

Oct 29, 2017
I am weird in that I enjoyed Trespasser the least because it was cut off from the rest of the game.

There is a mod that adds the ability point amulets back in that were removed to prevent an exploit.

There is also an unofficial patch mod. A lot of ability upgrades are flat out broken without it.

There is also a mod that removes the war table waiting time.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
You should absolutely ignore a lot of them or at least not insist on doing them all at once. Inquisition takes the split approach where the most important quests have proper cutscenes and whatnot, including side stuff (like your follower missions), and the rest are MMO-like fetch quests with minimal context and dialogue. Often it'll literally be like "I need 5 of this herb to make this broth", followed by "Hmm, looks like a need more, can you go get 15?".

From memory there's no real gate keeping in the game either, so you can at any point return to old areas and clean them up. For me Inquisition was a nice cosy game, and when I felt like not really pushing into harder areas or the story it was easy to boot up and comb over those aforementioned MMO-like side quests. Whereas when I felt more focused I'd go through the main story stuff.

No mods for the PC version that I'm aware of. I played it as vanilla with a pad and found it mostly fine. Gorgeous looking game.

Yeah, that sounds like the best approach. Gonna start it today.

I actually got a few mods and got everything setup last night. Just little tweaks like increased inventory size, reworked skill tree, increased item detection range and duration and a few others. Should be a good time.

Thinking of playing Mage, hopefully it's somewhat fun.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they don't do what they've been doing with the previous games and go with a completely new protagonist for DA4. Solas and I have some unfinished business we need to figure out. It would be a shame if I were to be denied that reunion.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Good looking out!

Hunting high dragons has become quite tedious with all the xtra quests.. I forgot how bad the quests are in the base game at least.

I'm 5/10 from the previous 3/10 maybe I'll just go to the Frostback & come back kill dragons then finally start Trespasser.
It was kind of funny you made this thread then a day later the DLC goes on sale. Love it

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just started a new playthrough. Never got around to the DLC before, I'm looking forward to it.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have so many games in my backlog but I am really looking forward to play this game again due to this topic. The game initially didn't click with me, but after revisiting it about a year later it really grabbed my attention and I was hooked.

Booted the game, but sadly it doesn't look all that great on my 4k oled. Remember it looking great on my old TV. Really hope this game will somehow benefit from Xbox Series X backwards compatibility magic. Game really deserves a patch imo.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It was a radical change from the formula

Yes and no. It was a change for Inquisition itself, but I always got the sense that it was made because without it, Inquisition is the only DA game to not have a "dive into blatant horror in the Deep Roads" section. So it's a change for the game, a return for the series.

I hope they don't do what they've been doing with the previous games and go with a completely new protagonist for DA4. Solas and I have some unfinished business we need to figure out. It would be a shame if I were to be denied that reunion.

They kind of have to though. I don't know how to not destroy the immersion if you're still the Inquisitor at the level cap, but your first boss is going to be an Ogre or a Pride Demon. Maybe they could let you pilot your old characters again in the late game; that's a pet theory I've had. It would fit a party size. Your Warden, Hawke, the Inquisitor, and the MC of DA4.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yes and no. It was a change for Inquisition itself, but I always got the sense that it was made because without it, Inquisition is the only DA game to not have a "dive into blatant horror in the Deep Roads" section. So it's a change for the game, a return for the series.

They kind of have to though. I don't know how to not destroy the immersion if you're still the Inquisitor at the level cap, but your first boss is going to be an Ogre or a Pride Demon. Maybe they could let you pilot your old characters again in the late game; that's a pet theory I've had. It would fit a party size. Your Warden, Hawke, the Inquisitor, and the MC of DA4.
Not even just immersion but the Trespasser DLC straight up says
that Solas has agents in your organisation, that he knows completely how you act and is able to manipulate you even then. They say again and again that you need to find someone Solas doesn't know to get him
Trespasser is basically a giant DLC showing how you the Inquisitor are unsuited for dealing with Solas.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Trespasser was great, it cut out a lot of the gating and collectathon dreck that plagued the base game. If 4 is more like Trespasser I'll be happy.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I messed up by not doing all of my team member quests in the main game on my second playthrough.
I thought I'd done everything with Iron Bull, but I guess I hadn't, so he turned in me in one of the later boss fights which SUCKED. I loved his character, but I also lost him from my party so I only had a 3 person team for that fight.

Pretty sure everyone died except for my character and I just had to run around trying not to die until I won, haha.
Come to think of it, I may have never done the Jaws of Hakkon DLC. Not sure why, I might have just wanted to do the Tresspasser DLC, and that was so conclusive that I didn't feel like playing anymore.

All this talk of DA:I is starting to make me want to do another playthrough, but I have so much new stuff to play! I need to at least finish my Witcher 3 second playthrough (just started the last expansion).

I really enjoyed DA:I, even just the base game. Just love the look of it, the gorgeous areas you go to, the story was pretty fun, and it was fun to play.
Really hope DA4 does right and continues with the Solas story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'm starting Hakkon right now! I got 6/10 Dragons so I'll save the rest for after JoH before Trespasser, off to the basin.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
How hard is it to get back into it? I honestly don't remember all that much when I finished it back in 2016 but I still quite liked it.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I started my 4th playthrough 1 year ago on Origins, but since I recently bought the game again on Steam, a 5th playthrough is definitely incoming for sure.
God I love this game. I wanted to create a community thread for Dragon Age on Era for the longest of times, but never got around to do it. This might push me over the edge, tbh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
How hard is it to get back into it? I honestly don't remember all that much when I finished it back in 2016 but I still quite liked it.
It took me about two hours to get my total bearings with the UI and stiff movement but everything else fired on all cylinders

I started my 4th playthrough 2 years ago on Origins, but since I recently bought the game again on Steam, a 5th playthrough is definitely incoming for sure.
God I love this game. I wanted to create a community thread for Dragon Age on Era for the longest of times, but never got around to do it. This might push me over the edge, tbh.
Do you know any Youtubers who see dive on the lore by chance? I'm shocked there isn't a DA community.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I started my 4th playthrough 2 years ago on Origins, but since I recently bought the game again on Steam, a 5th playthrough is definitely incoming for sure.
Do it! I need folks to go more lore crazy with 😊 And just generally go from the extreme of yelling at Solas to squeeing at Solas - he causes many complicated feelings, many involve punching him repeatedly.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Do you know any Youtubers who see dive on the lore by chance? I'm shocked there isn't a DA community.

Back when I played DA:I, I was mostly reading the Solas thread on the (late, RIP) Bioware forum in order to understand things better. It was the most active character thread on the forum by large, and the lengths at which people could dive deep into the lore and theorize was, honestly truly, insane, in a good way. Incredibly interesting and enriching too. For the rest, I remember spending nights reading the Dragon Age Wiki, but as for specific Youtube channels, I'm kinda clueless, sorry :/

Do it! I need folks to go more lore crazy with 😊 And just generally go from the extreme of yelling at Solas to squeeing at Solas - he causes many complicated feelings, many involve punching him repeatedly.

I was initially shocked and surprised at the lack of any official thread about Dragon Age tbh. I wanted to fix that oversight, but kinda pushed it away each time. Never thought this forum would have so many DA fans, maybe I really ought to create it just to have a place to gush over Solas while also daydreaming about punching the hell out of his majestic face. It's insane that 6 years after playing it, the game can STILL elicit so many feelings, so intensely. Truly an underrated masterpiece.

Last edited:

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It took me about two hours to get my total bearings with the UI and stiff movement but everything else fired on all cylinders

A YouTuber for Lore I watched round DAI launch was Lady Ashe Insanity, she's less active as there's not as much info but she just did a video breaking down the screenshots at EA Play (that I still need to watch) . There's other youtubers but my names blanking on the names right now. For blogs, I recommend Dumped, Drunk and Dalish as she does some really good breakdowns:
http://www.dumpeddrunkanddalish.com/
Back when I played DA:I, I was mostly reading the Solas thread on the (late, RIP) Bioware forum in order to understand better. It was the most active character thread on the forum by large, and the lengths at which people could dive deep into the lore and theorize was, honestly truly, insane, in a good way. Incredibly interesting and enriching too. For the rest, I remember spending nights reading the Dragon Age Wiki, but as for specific Youtube channels, I'm kinda clueless, sorry :/

I was initially shocked and surprised at the lack of any official thread about Dragon Age tbh. I wanted to fix that oversight, but kinda pushed it away each time. Never thought this forum would have so many DA fans, maybe I really ought to create it just to have a place to gush over Solas while also daydreaming about punching the hell out of his majestic face. It's insane that 6 years after playing it, the game can STILL elicit so many feelings, so intensely. Truly an underrated masterpiece.
Given that it's apparently BioWare's highest selling game and got GoTY , I'm not sure it's underrated , so much that for some reason there's a lot of this forum that really don't like it. Maybe because while it has dark parts it's not as proper Dark Fantasy like The Witcher 3? Honestly I think there are more Dragon Age fans here lurking, just don't really say anything in BioWare threads as this forum isn't really fans of BioWare at the moment, they can be quite negative and maybe not really going to attract many fans. A dedicated thread would be better - I , like you, still have way too many feelings about DAI and need fellow fans to obsess with them about!

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway this thread is making me want to go back and play my new canon mage Trevelyan who's gonna smooch the best boy, Blackwall

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Anyway this thread is making me want to go back and play my new canon mage Trevelyan who's gonna smooch the best boy, Blackwall

Blackwall never looked that appealing to romance to me to be honest. On my first playthrough, I first romanced Josie (because I had turned down Solas' first kiss in the fade, not knowing he was the one I wanted to pursue yet, and not knowing it would lock me out of his romance entirely), but found her very... Disney-esque in a way? I love her as a character, but as a romance option, it just didn't click, so I broke up with her and then romanced Sera, which I enjoyed plenty, she's lovely and incredibly fun (which is a relief at times, in a story that is otherwise pretty somber still), until she basically gave my character (who, again, is an elvhen mage) an ultimatum, in which she forced her to chose between her, and my passion and thirst for elvhen history. I don't remember if I broke up with her or not (maybe not because I just didn't want my character to finish the story alone), but in my mind, she was done for the minute she pulled this shitty toxic move. I love her to the moon and back otherwise, what an incredibly enjoyable character to play and interact with, but her deep dislike for anything elvhen and anything magical, was definitely too much to bear as someone who... literally played an elvhen mage.

I tried to romance Cullen on my 3rd playthrough, because I needed a bit of fluff after having my heart thrown into the garbage shredder after romancing Solas. But I honestly found it too vanilla and boring, I don't know, I just don't click with him like that. I was playing a human archer, and I didn't even finish that playthrough cause I was missing being a mage.

I always wanted to romance Cassandra too, but I'd either have to install a mod for that, or play a male character, which is asking a lot out of me.

Last edited: