• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I haven't played this game since 2015.. this was a game I had gotten initially when I first bought the PS4 back then so I decided at $7.99 I really wanted to play the three DLC packs & load up my old character

& Jesus... this is my shit guys, let me preface. I'm only at the part in The Desent DLC the big discovery at the Wellsprings and my gosh man I realized I left some good lore on the table from the series & I'm very excited to complete this & Jaws of Hakkon than finally dealing with Solas

A five year grudge I will resolve!

Makes me excited to see a reboot & hopefully Dragon Age is still alive.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wait till you get to Trespasser.
DAI is an underrated game and the dlc is pretty good but trespasser is on a whole level

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
DAI is an underrated game and the dlc is pretty good but trespasser is on a whole level
I can't wait to hit the level cap, might go back & beat high dragons before but rocking Dorian, Cassandra(thank God she comes back) & Varric has been perfect nostalgia right now.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Jaws of Hakkon is just extended version of side-content that was already present in game. It was slightly better as it was more focused and had better region quests than vanilla ever had. The Descent was absolutely awful, at least in my opinion. It was a radical change from the formula and tried to aim for more dungeon crawling experience and while its idea was good and I've found a whole concept solid, it was seriously disappointing. Trespasser on the other hand was amazing and I would totally recommend to try it out after completing the main story.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Jaws of Hakkon is a lot of fun, good lore and the area is one of the better areas in the game imo.
Trespasser is going to blow you away. Put the music volume as high as you can for that one, and stick around for the credits. It's the kind of ending for the game that makes you want to start it all over again, which is the best kind of ending.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Loved DAI.

Never even played the DLC and I'm afraid to do so give the fact that I'd have to grind my way through the game again...

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Trespasser is really solid. Solas is one of my favourite characters BioWare has written.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Trespasser is some of the best DLC I have ever owned and was an incredibly satisfying conclusion I wish more games would nail. Shame the main game is a bit of a slog or I would be more interested in replays

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Jaws of Hakkon is a lot of fun, good lore and the area is one of the better areas in the game imo.
Trespasser is going to blow you away. Put the music level as high as you can for that one, and stick around for the credits. It's the kind of ending for the game that makes you want to start it all over again, which is the best kind of ending.
Yea I was already in awe at was beyond the Deep Roads :P you've got me really pumped, might just keep it going until I finish all three. I like descent but it does lack that explorable field.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

DA Inquisition is a great game. I played through it multiple times on every difficulty, including all of the DLCs. I liked it almost as much as Origins.

I still love the story part where you have your little base of operations which you assume will be your "home" location for the game. Then Corypheus shows up and absolutely destroys you. Then you wander injured through the snow for several days, before you find Skyhold, and you realize that everything up to that point was essentially a "false start" for the game.

Still sticks with me to this day.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Oh jeez I thought this was going to be about tresspasser, you havn't even got to best DLC yet.

Really love DA:I

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
I love Jaws of Hakkon.

It shows how BioWare listened to feedback about the areas of game like The Hinterlands that were weaker.

Its essentially the concept of what the Hinterlands was going for but done very well

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The three are all extremely worth playing. Trespasser is an absolute must play for DA fans.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Argh. You're about to trigger my annual attempt to retry Inquisition, for which I stupidly own all the DLC but have never made it past ~15 hours into a playthrough.

It's always the UI that triggers me. Playing on an NVME SSD but the insane lag and loading times in the UI pages coupled with the most hideous and PC-unfriendly design I've ever seen in a game just wears me down to the point I realize I'm not having fun anymore. I collect new gear during some exploration and quests but hate the thought of going through the process of sorting through it all for my team in a UI like that. And I adore inventory management in RPGs.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Argh. You're about to trigger my annual attempt to retry Inquisition, for which I stupidly own all the DLC but have never made it past ~15 hours into a playthrough.

It's always the UI that triggers me. Playing on an NVME SSD but the insane lag and loading times in the UI pages coupled with the most hideous and PC-unfriendly design I've ever seen in a game just wears me down to the point I realize I'm not having fun anymore. I collect new gear during some exploration and quests but hate the thought of going through the process of sorting through it all for my team in a UI like that. And I adore inventory management in RPGs.
I can see that, I was fumbling with the menu constantly for the first 2 hours, was always accidentally switch characters or couldn't see the stats of items equipped without scrolling through all the equipment 😒 but it does get better maybe just focus on three characters?

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
TRESSPASSER is my favorite bit of DA cotent, and left me hyped for a sequal that will come who knows when .

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Trespasser DLC plus female elf who romanced Solas equals:
:(

I've tried to do the Solasmance multiple times but I just can't handle the way he talks down to Lavellan. This Kotaku article put it best:

As the player character laments that they truly don't know anything about their culture, that elven history has truly been lost, Solas remarks, "For all the Dalish got wrong, they did one thing right. They made you." You little tiny moron baby, he is saying to you. Your people are so stupid, but you're just not-stupid enough for me to put my dick in you.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Just beat Descent, didn't think I was so close & yea definitely not completely satisfying! Gonna start Hakkon here shortly.

Dec 25, 2018
DLCs were great.
I plugged away at a DAI playthrough in bits spread out over a year (instead of trying to burn out grinding it out in a month) and enjoyed it. I remember starting the Descent when I when it became available early in the playthrough, party got wrecked by the first enemy encounter and decided to leave it till after the main quest was finished, had a much better time with it then (and really liked the locations visited in it).

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaws of Hakkon was my favourite as I love exploring big open areas. Trespasser was kind of the opposite, but the story was really good so I enjoyed it.

Didn't much care for The Descent. I thought the level design was annoying.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I thought DA:I is very good, except for the mandatory side quests. Haven't played the DLC yet and I don't think I will as I've lost my save file.

Maybe if they put the GotY edition on EA Access or PS Plus.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the whole game is great. I found your have to create the right character. I initially bounced off it (and looking back at my first character I could see why), but second time around my character was perfect and the gameplay, story and tone just fit.
2nd character was a hench black qunari tank who gave no fucks. Good times 😎

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Inquisition was an amazing game, and the DLCs really brought so much to the table, such richeness to the lore. And of course, Trespasser, hah. As a Solavellan, I enjoyed every single tiny bit of Trespasser, everything about it was on point, perfectly executed, leaving me wanting more for 6 years now. I'll be waiting for it.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Inquisition was an amazing game, and the DLCs really brought so much to the table, such richeness to the lore. And of course, Trespasser, hah. As a Solavellan, I enjoyed every single tiny bit of Trespasser, everything about it was on point, perfectly executed, leaving me wanting more for 6 years now. I'll be waiting for it.
I hated Solas but I realize it's because he's so well written.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I hated Solas but I realize it's because he's so well written.

I personally have a love-hate relationship with Solas, in a way no other video game character had ever made me feel. I want to punch his face hard and also kiss the hell out of it, it's complicated, ok. I've always admired and been thankful for the work of Patrick Weekes, for bringing to life such a well-written nuanced character, eliciting so many different and varied responses from players. It's always so interesting to see people elaborate on their feelings about him, positive, negative, and everything in between.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
And just like that I've started another playthrough. I've only played through the DLC once and I'm itching for a good fantasy romp. Thanks OP. Like others have said, can't wait to hear what you have to say once you finish Trespasser.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I personally have a love-hate relationship with Solas, in a way no other video game character had ever made me feel. I want to punch his face hard and also kiss the hell out of it, it's complicated, ok. I've always admired and been thankful for the work of Patrick Weekes, for bringing to life such a well-written nuanced character, eliciting so many different and varied responses from players. It's always so interesting to see people elaborate on their feelings about him, positive, negative, and everything in between.
I'd love to articulate more but I forgot all the nuances :c I think he's extremely cunning & wordly and that alone is extremely interesting because no matter how you feel he does give you a great perspective on everything a long with the lore drops.

I'm excited to judge him now as the Dread Wolf.

WGMBY

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA
The DLC for DA:I is great. A great example of a game that is elevated by the quality of the DLC. I loved how each one delved into the history of the world in really interesting ways, and finally explained some of the central mysteries in the game world such as how the Chantry was first founded.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I haven't played this game since 2015.. this was a game I had gotten initially when I first bought the PS4 back then so I decided at $7.99 I really wanted to play the three DLC packs & load up my old character

& Jesus... this is my shit guys, let me preface. I'm only at the part in The Desent DLC the big discovery at the Wellsprings and my gosh man I realized I left some good lore on the table from the series & I'm very excited to complete this & Jaws of Hakkon than finally dealing with Solas

A five year grudge I will resolve!

Makes me excited to see a reboot & hopefully Dragon Age is still alive.

The dlc gets rid of the single biggest issue with the main game: the padding. I've always maintained that DAi was a masterpeice 80 hour game stuck inside a post skyrim 'we need to have 150+ hours of gameplay' open world rpg. The individual quests and characters are top notch and there is nothing else in fiction that is willing to upend its own lore like DAI does. But to get to that you have to kill a bunch of rams to get sheepskins for the req officer and find some flags and some tiles and a whole bunch of fiddly ubisoft bullshit that serves zero purpose other than to pad a game that didn't need it.

Jaws of Hakkon is pretty awesome. It essentially gives you a new main game style level to explore but it is so fucking dense. Also at one point it becomes a parody of mean girls leading to a series of the worst rapid fire dad jokes imaginable. I shit you not.