• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm pretty sure the moment in TLJ, where Luke is blasted by a hail of fire power and Kylo is shook to see him alive, is narratively telling the audience that no, Luke would have been slaughtered had he actually been there.

I know nerds get their rocks off seeing Jedi taking down legions of people with a wave of their hands, but this deflates any kind of tension. I really wish the Jedi had kept their powers to a minimum like in the OT.
This

You can still be incredibly powerful and wise without bringing down star destroyers with your hands

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
de2
This was THE best Star Wars series ever. They went to 11 with showing; off force wielders styling on people.

Mace Windu took on an entire army in hand to hand combat:

Genndy Tartakovsky da GOAT

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They tried that with Vader in the comic...it didn't work out.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to compare Vader in his prime to Luke, Vader fought through the clone wars, exterminated Jedi, he was a battle-hardened death machine. Literally more machine than man. Luke really... ain't done that much in comparison. Sure he "beats Vader" but I've never been one to take individual feats out of context like that.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You've seen the final season of The Clone Wars, so you know why Order 66 was so effective. Not only would you not expect the people you had been fighting beside for years to turn on you so suddenly, but you'd be confused as to why they've turned on you and you'd struggle to kill them because you've spilt blood and sweat together. It was more psychologically overwhelming than physically, although I s'pose it helps the clones were genetically enhanced Mandalorians designed from birth to kill Jedi. 🤔

Mundi had no personal attachment to the clones, he didn't consider them people. And, he sensed and saw what they were going to do. He was able to prepare to defend himself, yet they still overwhelmed. And he's a Jedi Master that sits on the Council. Meanwhile, he can also apparently take down waves of droid troopers firing volleys at him.

🤔

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

yep. Decently strong non-force users like Jango Fett clones could easily take down most Jedi with only a few dozen troops and Grievous was standing toe to toe with many Jedi masters.

Top tier Jedi are mostly single platoon ground troop level. Highest tier might be able to take down one or two flight craft if within a limited range. Like Palpatine is quite frankly ridiculous in TRoS considering that's leagues beyond what he's shown in any other Star Wars movie in a weakened body at that.

Oct 17, 2018
Man, I really want a series where Anakin reaches his full potential. So sad we never got anything like that.

No, The Clone Wars was not that.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but Rey using a basic force pull on a light saber is soooooo totally OP and makes her a Mary sue

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You've seen the final season of The Clone Wars, so you know why Order 66 was so effective. Not only would you not expect the people you had been fighting beside for years to turn on you so suddenly, but you'd be confused as to why they've turned on you and you'd struggle to kill them because you've spilt blood and sweat together. It was more psychologically overwhelming than physically, although I s'pose it helps the clones were genetically enhanced Mandalorians designed from birth to kill Jedi. 🤔
Jedi's jobbed a lot in Clone Wars too so it's not like they were consistently all that powerful. They struggled more than a fair bit.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
My takeaway is that the Separatist Droid army was just really useless. George said as much himself, I believe.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really want a series where Anakin reaches his full potential. So sad we never got anything like that.

No, The Clone Wars was not that.

Well, it kinda was. The Mortis arc showed us what Anakin could do, and I mean really do, with the Force if he wanted to. If he had ever achieved his full potential it would've been like he turned into Doctor Manhattan or something. 😂

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Probably not movie Luke.

I still think it's funny he trolled Kylo with a projection.

That scene was the best part of the entire sequel trilogy.

The folks putting out new SW content left and right better not defile Luke Skywalker's character anymore than they already have though. He's a badass for sure, but he was about a lot more than simply being a powerful warrior.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if Vader said this

shouldn't force users be OP? I mean not too op, but they should be like Michael Jordan playing against the Cleveland cavaliers.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Makes me think of one of the old dark horse comics. Vader leaves a planet because he's not sure if he can beat them alone and the planet lets him go because they're not certain either lol

DstiWRR.png

2eidSiZ.png

Yeah, modern Vader would have force-choked the closest thousand of them in a moment, then gone to town with his lightsaber. Or just pitched the saber at Luke while holding off everyone else.

Of course, you could justify it as him not really wanting to kill or capture Luke deep down.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So if Vader said this

shouldn't force users be OP? I mean not too op, but they should be like Michael Jordan playing against the Cleveland cavaliers.

At the time we felt it was more philosophical. Like, "big deal, you can blow up a planet. The Force can literally influence minds or instill Hope into the entire galaxy to turn against us." When Obi-Wan says he'll become more "powerful" after death, he wasn't saying he's become more powerful, physically. It means he had transcended death and through it able to aid Luke on his journey, free from all restrictions.

Now, the line can be taken to mean literally. As in, "yeah, the Death Star can blow up a planet but my Master can Force Lighting an entire planet to death and cause a star to supernova. Yeet."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
OT/PT/EU seem to suggest Luke went on to go beast mode after RotJ

ST did away with the DBZ power level concept (for the most part) so 'canonically' he could get smoked relatively easily, astral projecting aside

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I might get eviscerated by lore nerds for saying this, but (at least in the main films and Mando) the Force is kind of scope-less in its magnitude. There doesn't seem to be a limit to its reach/range, except for the proficiency of the user. It's a thing that's there for amazing miracle moments to turn the tide of a battle or a scene. And it almost seems scope-less in the ways it manifests. I don't recall another use of holographic-like projection (across the galaxy, nevermind just across a small space like a room), so that surprised me in TLJ. It can kind of...do anything? I accepted that. It's space magic.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That scene was the best part of the entire sequel trilogy.

The folks putting out new SW content left and right better not defile Luke Skywalker's character anymore than they already have though. He's a badass for sure, but he was about a lot more than simply being a powerful warrior.

I loved that scene, wonderful send off for Luke even after the predictably lazy way RoS decided to use him again.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
of all things star wars, i like jedi and the force the least amount. it appears to be a cheap plot device more than anything interesting

SteamyPunk

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't one of Vader's first lines in the series "the ability to destroy planets is nothing compared to the power of the force"?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
At the time we felt it was more philosophical. Like, "big deal, you can blow up a planet. The Force can literally influence minds or instill Hope into the entire galaxy to turn against us." When Obi-Wan says he'll become more "powerful" after death, he wasn't saying he's become more powerful, physically. It means he had transcended death and through it able to aid Luke on his journey, free from all restrictions.

Now, the line can be taken to mean literally. As in, "yeah, the Death Star can blow up a planet but my Master can Force Lighting an entire planet to death and cause a star to supernova. Yeet."

I suppose it was taken literally when characters like Nihilus were created aka Star Wars' Galactus. He didn't even need to do things with force lightning. He just sucked the life force from your planet till it was dead.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll be completely honest. I hate it when the force is supposed to be more philosophical, and I also hate it when it expressed too Literally if that makes sense. Like is I like my dbz power level but too much ain't good. I dont know.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't one of Vader's first lines in the series "the ability to destroy planets is nothing compared to the power of the force"?
and yet his boss kept wanting to build Death Stars and mini-death stars and bigger death stars.
It was pretty clear that line was meant to be taken in the sense of influencing people.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in real terms he couldnt even beat Snoke so no. However, the beauty of that scene is that it plays to the legend of Luke Skywalker, that his mere presence makes people think he could do it is a weapon in itself eventhough in reality he would have been turned to dust in a second

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Leia survived a massive decompression that sent her a quarter of a mile into empty space. If the writers wanted Luke to take on the fist order at any scale they could justify it.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for people enjoying Star Wars how they want to and everything, and I mean this with no disrespect... but who gives a fuck, and who wants to see that?

I'm so tired of the conversation surrounding Jedi and Luke in particular revolving around power levels, and finally getting to see "Prime" Luke, or "Badass" Luke, when all I want is an enjoyable, well written, well developed character.

The shit in those comics is stupid as hell, and just diminishes the characters because there are no stakes I can believe in. Same goes for TROS.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I believe Luke had the potential, and could have, but I don't think Luke would have. The abilities and skills he would've needed to do that would likely not be the Jedi way.

Luke was big on the Jedi way. The real Luke wouldn't have used his powers and abilities to destroy or hurt. Especially where Luke was mentally in The Last Jedi.

Frankly, I believe Vader could have as well if he wasn't so destroyed from the Mustafar battle. The Skywalkers certainly have the ability to do whatever they want to with the force.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tired of the conversation surrounding Jedi and Luke in particular revolving around power levels, and finally getting to see "Prime" Luke, or "Badass" Luke, when all I want is an enjoyable, well written, well developed character.

The shit in those comics is stupid as hell, and just diminishes the characters because there are no stakes I can believe in. Same goes for TROS.

But you don't understand. The best kind of stories are the ones where someone asserts dominance over their weaker foes in an overpowering and stylish fashion.

You want "WelL wRitTeN"? Go read a dictionary instead, you nerd.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
I always think of action on comics or cartoons as stylized more than anything. That's why Ahsoka jumps normally in mando compared to the cartoons.

As far as episode 8 Luke and mando Luke..they are one in the same with 20+ years of events. A lot of ppl forget the sequel trilogy takes place just over a year...a lot can happen between ep 6 and 7..

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

The very problem of Star wars and what fans want from it is that somewhere throughout the prequels, the concept of the force shifted from a mythological, metaphysical one to rather straightforward physical/real-world powers that could be trained and measured in DBZ-like power levels. The line has been muddled ever since.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
You think, what? I'm gonna walk out with a laser sword and face down the whole First Order?

Said Luke Skywalker, as a depressed man, beaten down by his previous failures and questioning if anything could truly impart lasting change

Let's debate how much of a bodycount he could amass with his laser sword

Said the fandom, missing the point completely.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
lol. Yeah, it's fucking ridiculous how supposed "one-man-armies" get utterly annihilated by low-effort shenanigans in Episodes II and III.

Jedi get killed with ease throughout the clone wars series as well.

Shitty battle droids even killing jedi.

It wasn't till SW was out of George's hand did we get the crazy power levels and creep going on with the force.

Oct 27, 2017
Luke from the sequel trilogy, especially after how TLJ shat all over Luke? Nah.

Luke from the old Expanded Universe? He could've probably single-handedly fucked over the First Order.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
He wouldn't have been able to face an entire army down, but individual stormtrooper squads would be as toast as they always have been. Luke is a mystic like OT Yoda.