• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spoilers obviously. I feel like I shouldn't have to make that claim as the game is from 2003. But people are very sensitive.

So you're finally about to fight General Scales and it just doesn't happen, you don't fight him at all. Andross is the main villain. At least Ganondorf in Twilight Princess had some foreshadowing, but this just comes out of nowhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it should have been pretty obvious that a villain named GENERAL SCALES was not going to actually be the main antagonist.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers obviously. I feel like I shouldn't have to make that claim as the game is from 2003. But people are very sensitive.

So you're finally about to fight General Scales and it just doesn't happen, you don't fight him at all. Andross is the main villain. At least Ganondorf in Twilight Princess had some foreshadowing, but this just comes out of nowhere.
considering it wasn't even a Star Fox game, it was probably put in to hammer that home

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
A twist so stupid Nintendo went and did again with
Twilight Princess

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
We can also talk about how they mangled Dinosaur Planet, which would have been a derivative but generally great 3D Zelda-like, into a combination with Star Fox that just couldn't nail the compromise. I still think it's a solid game overall, just a rather disappointing one. Very interesting in terms of development history at least.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's not be hasty, the game was shit regardless of star fox stuff - it's like 90% tutorial, 5% actual fun dungeon stuff, 5% flying garbage, then it ends.

If more people played it the "HEY LISTEN" memes would've definitely been tricky instead, except instead of "Hey I can talk to you" he would be like "HEY COME TO THIS SPOT IM OBVIOUSLY STANDING AT BECAUSE I DONT TRUST YOU TO SOLVE A PUZZLE ON YOUR OWN"

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
At least Ganondorf in Twilight Princess had some foreshadowing,
I can't comment on Starfox Adventures as I never got any interest in that game, but damn I remember hating this about TP (among other things). It was just so... out of nowhere and uninspired.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Did you know that before you partake in a Krazoa Spirit's test, if you stand around them long enough, they will utter/mumble/whisper Andross's name? Yes, even as early as the one when you play as Krystal. In fact, when Krystal says "It's you!" in Dinosaur Language after releasing the first Krazoa Spirit, it has a weird transliteration where she's actually verbally saying "Andross!". Because of all these many pertaining factors, I knew Andross was back in town for some more crime scene. As I kept doing the Krazoa Shrine tests, I also realized that the Krazoa Spirits were designed to be some kind of brain cell and/or brain neuron, as well as some kind of skull effigy. I also felt that when you first come across that tall Krazoa guy with the first spell stone at Moon Pass, the body resembled the tubes that Fox had to fly in/through in Venom of Star Fox 64, and that the body of the Krazoa guy was symbolic to that too in some kind of nostalgic honorary regard. Then of course if you played along with those Cheat Tokens, it also alludes towards Andross too.

All in all, I really love Star Fox Adventures. I played the heck out of the game. I beat it weekly in my teen years, and I've been beating it annually in my adult years every July. This game is my comfort food, and I am in bliss with it. Even though I am aware of circumstances, I will always still say that... I hope one day the game will get a HD Remake port over to whatever future Nintendo console, where they will include everything that was cut out of the game because of how the game was rushed out. I also hope I will get another Star Fox Adventure game. I think it's such a lovely touch to the Star Fox series.

With that said, I also hope that Krystal will get her own stand alone games though... with a much better character design, mind you, and her very own fleshed out story telling/character narrative. It truly sucks what happened to her fate because of Miyamoto.

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned the final boss was that test of strength button mashing minigame. Never made it past that.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is how did Scales get the spirit in the first place? Wasn't there some requirement that you had to be pure or something to take the test?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
We can also talk about how they mangled Dinosaur Planet, which would have been a derivative but generally great 3D Zelda-like, into a combination with Star Fox that just couldn't nail the compromise. I still think it's a solid game overall, just a rather disappointing one. Very interesting in terms of development history at least.
It could've been orders of magnitude cooler had it actually been a compromise, where it was split more evenly between Krystal and Fox.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did you know that before you partake in a Krazoa Spirit's test, if you stand around them long enough, they will utter/mumble/whisper Andross's name? Yes, even as early as the one when you play as Krystal. In fact, when Krystal says "It's you!" in Dinosaur Language after releasing the first Krazoa Spirit, it has a weird transliteration where she's actually verbally saying "Andross!". Because of all these many pertaining factors, I knew Andross was back in town for some more crime scene. As I kept doing the Krazoa Shrine tests, I also realized that the Krazoa Spirits were designed to be some kind of brain cell and/or brain neuron, as well as some kind of skull effigy. I also felt that when you first come across that tall Krazoa guy with the first spell stone at Moon Pass, the body resembled the tubes that Fox had to fly in/through in Venom of Star Fox 64, and that the body of the Krazoa guy was symbolic to that too in some kind of nostalgic honorary regard. Then of course if you played along with those Cheat Tokens, it also alludes towards Andross too.

All in all, I really love Star Fox Adventures. I played the heck out of the game. I beat it weekly in my teen years, and I've been beating it annually in my adult years every July. This game is my comfort food, and I am in bliss with it. Even though I am aware of circumstances, I will always still say that... I hope one day the game will get a HD Remake port over to whatever future Nintendo console, where they will include everything that was cut out of the game because of how the game was rushed out. I also hope I will get another Star Fox Adventure game. I think it's such a lovely touch to the Star Fox series.

With that said, I also hope that Krystal will get her own stand alone games though... with a much better character design, mind you, and her very own fleshed out story telling/character narrative. It truly sucks what happened to her fate because of Miyamoto.
I'm guessing Miyamoto's anti-story approach is to blame.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Throughout the game I was hoping the last battle would be on the arwing against Andross and that's exactly what I got.

I loved it. I can't seem to understand why people hate it so much.

The game itself is fantastic, minus the combat which is very repetitive. The soundtrack is incredible, one of my favs.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Does anyone remember how slow fox climbed up ladders?

Like, worse than Gamma in Sonic Adventure slow IIRC.

Nov 17, 2017
So stupid Nintendo did again with Twilight Princess.
They really didn't though. Ganondorf is foreshadowed as early as the 3rd dungeon and is officially revealed to be the big bad at the halfway point of the game. That and you also still get to fight Zant who has his own role in the story.

Super Mario Sunshine is closer to the Star Fox Adventures twist than TP lol. Both kind of just have an abrupt and short scene where you go to the final boss arena and Bowser/Andross suddenly are just there and are like "Ah Mario/Fox McCloud!" and you immediately fight with zero fanfare or build up.

I can't comment on Starfox Adventures as I never got any interest in that game, but damn I remember hating this about TP (among other things). It was just so... out of nowhere and uninspired.
I swear people have a warped memory of Twilight Princess where Ganondorf suddenly is introduced at the last second when in actuality he's actively known for at least half of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The village test minigames were such unintuitive bullshit, and still are. Definitely a part worth skipping/cheating past if you have to.

The game's definitely worth a play, especially with how well my dumped copy emulates via Dolphin. I can't imagine Nintendo will ever revisit the poor thing, but it'd be interesting to see if they can justify their usual high price point for emulated GC remasters. Restoring cut/unused content might not be too hard just based on what remains hidden in the disc's filesystem. And yeah, Krystal getting redesigned/rebuilt into the game would be great as a Director's Cut-esque option.

It could've been orders of magnitude cooler had it actually been a compromise, where it was split more evenly between Krystal and Fox.
lol, Ain't it the truth. Krystal turning from a standalone protagonist, with little to no exploitation, into an objectified damsel is evidence enough of Miyamoto losing touch while needlessly forcing his input on a game that didn't need it. Star Fox deserves a restraining order from him already.

It's mido

One Winged Slayer
Jan 23, 2018
Considering how dogwater the one on one combat was in that game it's hard to imagine how a fight with Mr. Scales, Esq. would go.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Came outta nowhere but I didn't mind. The few other boss fights were kinda bad, so a classic Star Fox boss fight was fun at least.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
that game is a mess of shatter promises, wrung-out creativity, and "Make sure we own every part of this. Now leave, Microsoft is your new mommy."

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt the last portion of the game /general scales fight got heavily cut due to the sale of Rare.

Also Starfox adventures was pretty good! Tough crowd here tonight.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The game starts off at 100% and gets 25% worse with each 1/4 you progress through it.

Mathematically this means the final boss fight is at 0%. Which is where it fits, really.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned the final boss was that test of strength button mashing minigame. Never made it past that.
Lmao literally would have to get my mom to take over for me any time that shit came up.

Was a kid (10ish) when I played this and it was my first game in this genre… know it gets a bad wrap but I adore it to this day. I can hum the tune of half the OST to this day.

Many

Sep 17, 2018
All the people comparing that with Twilight Princess. The game tells you Ganondorf was going to be the final boss at the half of the game.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Y'all can't compare this to Twilight Princess

Andross was some real eleventh hour stuff

Ganondorf is revealed to be in Twilight Princess after the fourth dungeon, in a game that has something like nine with each one having more story leading up to it, and it's pretty clear who Zant's "dark god" is after that

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Yeah, General Scales wasn't the final boss of Dinosaur Planet either. It was this guy called Drakor.

So he was always supposed to be just a thug to be taken out.

Edit: Yeah, this is how Scales was taken out originally.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually liked SFA, don't get the hate it gets. Yes, it doesn't feel like Star Fox at all but still a very fun game to play from start to end, liked the pacing, as well. Yes, the arwing levels were lackluster and combat felt unfinished and unpolished, but still a solid experience. The ending's twist didn't angered me at all, it was the most Star Fox-ey stuff from the game, actually. What felt disappointing to me was that you can't really battle General Scales at the ending, that felt weird.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A fitting ending for a bad game. Maybe one day they will make another third-person action game, hopefully it'll be something more polished and fun. If they made it a Ratchet clone they would have their work cut out for them.