• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
cheers I am so glad to have found likeminded folks who all share the same hatred of lyrics that we can comprehend

soooo distracting and besides, Asians are exotic anyway, so what's the point of understanding verbal content anyway

Been a bad girl, I know I am
And I'm so hot, I need a fan
I don't wanna boy, I need a man

Click clack badabing badaboom

Middle finger up, F U pay me
90s baby, I pump up the jam

Boombayah!
Yah yah yah Boombayah
Yah yah yah Boombayah
Yah yah yah yah
Boom boom ba boom
Boom ba OPPA!
Yah yah yah yah yah yah
Yah yah yah yah
Yah yah yah yah yah yah
Yah yah yah yah OPPA!
Yah yah yah yah yah yah
Yah yah yah yah
Yah yah yah yah yah yah
Yah boom boom ba
Boombayah

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the casual racism in this thread. It is fine not to like something but to be dismissive of the entire concept of an artist being popular on their own merits is pretty messed up. Many of these performers spend anywhere between 4 to 10 years training daily to reach the level of skill required to even have the opportunity to debut, assuming that even happens at all.

But apparently none of that counts for anything and the only reason anyone is interested is because they are "Exotic", right?

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love the casual racism in this thread. It is fine not to like something but to be dismissive of the entire concept of an artist being popular on their own merits is pretty messed up.
This is why BoA and Utada never made it here in the US even when people ackowledged that these two songs were legitimately good at the time. I hope BlackPink somehow pushes through because they definitely have the appeal

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love the casual racism in this thread. It is fine not to like something but to be dismissive of the entire concept of an artist being popular on their own merits is pretty messed up. Many of these performers spend anywhere between 4 to 10 years training daily to reach the level of skill required to even have the opportunity to debut, assuming that even happens at all.

But apparently none of that counts for anything and the only reason anyone is interested is because they are "Exotic", right?

Yep you're definitely right. It's fucked up. Kpop girls/guys train from a very young age usually and it takes them so long just to even get a chance to debut and even after, have to fight to survive. For blackpink to get here is not just some casual feat.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days) Inflammatory generalizations and attacking other members over series of posts

Oh yeah mate, everyone drooling all over themselves in that toxic official Kpop thread to these young girls in the industry are totally just respecting their ability to have passed Korean Rap and Twerk Academy with honors

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Imo no. Not until Kpop starts releasing full English versions of their songs and albums.

Black Pink does have an advantage if they ever decided to go this route, as they have three fluent English speakers, and one (Jisoo) who understands English well though seems less comfortable speaking it.

If I were BP, or any Kpop group with larger aspirations, I'd seriously consider re-recording any existing songs fully in English, and have an English-speaking version release simultaneously with all future songs. Even though the lyrics may not translate one for one, just keeping it close and in the spirit of the songwriters intention will do.

This can only help expand their audience. Fan translation subtitles on videos only goes so far. It's a lot easier for a new song alone (without a video) to hook many new people with a nice beat and dope lyrics that they can instantly understand or relate to than it is to a create a new fan from a song on just the music alone, with no understanding of what's being said. You probably have to hope the new English-only listener catches your video (already limiting) with dope visuals / dancing to go along with the nice beat. Then the new listener probably has to wait on a fan sub video or look up lyrics. That's relatively a lot more dedication needed by a potential new fan than simply hearing a song one day. I'd ease / eliminate those barriers as much as possible if the goal is NA or global music domination.

Ideally it would be great if I took the time to learn to speak Korean, but I can't commit to that. I am one of those Kpop fans will take the time to watch new videos and sniff out the lyrics. I realize I'm in the minority though.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
If Ailee hasn't made it big then noone will! Ailee is a queen I tell ya!

I think it's like Rain basically said years back, that Asia is (still) the better market to chase in the end instead of the US.

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah mate, everyone drooling all over themselves in that toxic official Kpop thread to these young girls in the industry are totally just respecting their ability to have passed Korean Rap and Twerk Academy with honors
This is quite complex, because Kpop does appropriate black culture in a country that's still bad towards the treatment of brown and black people and the Kpop industry is notoriously cynical and cruel and hyper capitalistic but, it's also true that there's been casual racism towards Asians and also true that theres a lack of representation of Asians in the charts.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I don't think they have the it factor that would draw people in.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Imo no. Not until Kpop starts releasing full English versions of their songs and albums.

Black Pink does have an advantage if they ever decided to go this route, as they have three fluent English speakers, and one (Jisoo) who understands English well though seems less comfortable speaking it.

If I were BP, or any Kpop group with larger aspirations, I'd seriously consider re-recording any existing songs fully in English, and have an English-speaking version release simultaneously with all future songs. Even though the lyrics may not translate one for one, just keeping it close and in the spirit of the songwriters intention will do.

This can only help expand their audience. Fan translation subtitles on videos only goes so far. It's a lot easier for a new song alone (without a video) to hook many new people with a nice beat and dope lyrics that they can instantly understand or relate to than it is to a create a new fan from a song on just the music alone, with no understanding of what's being said. You probably have to hope the new English-only listener catches your video (already limiting) with dope visuals / dancing to go along with the nice beat. Then the new listener probably has to wait on a fan sub video or look up lyrics. That's relatively a lot more dedication needed by a potential new fan than simply hearing a song one day. I'd ease / eliminate those barriers as much as possible if the goal is NA or global music domination.

Ideally it would be great if I took the time to learn to speak Korean, but I can't commit to that. I am one of those Kpop fans will take the time to watch new videos and sniff out the lyrics. I realize I'm in the minority though.

They already do this with Japanese versions of their songs, which ironically contain much more English.

"Young girls" xD

They're all in their 20s. How old are you?

Last edited:

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Except nobody sexualizes idols on the K-Pop thread.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
This is good to know. So I guess I should be listening to the Japanese versions then.
In this case... it's better if you don't understand the lyrics...

Fragment of Ddu-du ddu-du english lyrics in the japanese version:

I keep it lit like a matchstick
Bitch, I'm a star, but not Patrick
I'm getting cake, that's a fat check
Hold on a roll like a grad jet
These smart mouth bring dumb heat
Like Ice-T, I'm OG
I'm demon like I-T
Got more juice than Hi-C

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

Are we? We're just posting the latest music videos and posting variations of "Yasss queen!" and "My wig has left the building".

We do critique vocals and shitty videos from time to time. If the song isn't catchy, people will notice.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
In this case... it's better if you don't understand the lyrics...

Fragment of Ddu-du ddu-du english lyrics in the japanese version:

I keep it lit like a matchstick
Bitch, I'm a star, but not Patrick
I'm getting cake, that's a fat check
Hold on a roll like a grad jet
These smart mouth bring dumb heat
Like Ice-T, I'm OG
I'm demon like I-T
Got more juice than Hi-C
Wait wait wait... That's Lisa's part?

Yeeeah, I'm gonna say the Korean version is vastly superior lol

I do like "I'm demon like I-T". The rest is cringy though

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait... That's Lisa's part?

Yeeeah, I'm gonna say the Korean version is vastly superior lol

I do like "I'm demon like I-T". The rest is cringy though
I honestly don't have the problem with not understanding the lyrics of a song to enjoy it, and that's why the melodic focus and creative and crazy instrumentals attracts me from kpop. I even have some instrumentals of kpop songs in my playlists, because some of them can stand by themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

you don't even have to do full english translations, do the reverse of what they do already, mostly english and throw in some korean instead of mostly korean and english sprinkles

Last edited:

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
On Utada, "First Love" is probably one of the best songs in the world. The English version is amazing too.