• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
It started with Subway last year. Now every single fast food/fast casual restaurant except Checkers/Rally's and I think Burger King in my city (Saint Petersburg, FL) uses biodegradable straws. Has this been happening in your town? Non-US Era? I think it's great. Like everyone just collectively said no more plastic straws and then boom they were gone a year later. This is literally how it's supposed to work. If on;y we could apply that to other things everyone wants like gun control, universal healthcare, etc..

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They don't seem particularly widespread here. The few restaurants that have alternate straws seem to use the paper variety, and not the corn-based biodegradable plastic.

The paper ones are garbage.

PooWithEyes

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I think plastic straws are soon being made illegal here so yes. Now just to sort out all of the other shitty environmental practices...

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes in San Francisco, they suck ass unless you finish your drink in < 5 minutes. Small price to pay though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There are biodegradable plastic straws? How are they?

Lots have switched to paper straws but I just can't get used to them, hence I just sprung for a Final Straw that I hope won't break anytime soon. Though paper Boba straws are still a pain.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
A decent number of places have gotten rid of them, but they're still very common. Most places won't give you a straw unless you specifically ask for one which I think is a good policy.

It's also been good for raising awareness however. Personally, I'm definitely more conscious of how much plastic I'm using and will take steps to reduce where possible.

Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that plastic straws like most plastics are recyclable. What I don't understand is the energy difference in processing a plastic straw into a new plastic versus breaking down a paper straw in industrial composting. PLA plastic is both biodegradable and recyclable, I believe recycling is significantly more efficient in that case.

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're still very common here in Portugal, but I I've started to see more products with alternatives.
Personally I actually stopped using straws and top cover with my drinks whenever possible unless I'm really worried it may spill.
The irony is that plastic straws like most plastics are recyclable.
A lot of these plastics are recyclable, the problem is no one takes proper care to make sure they're recycled.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Not yet - although we (Montgomery County MD) were one of the first with the plastic bag tax so I would assume it;s coming.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of reminds me of one scene in VEEP where they had cornstarch spoons that would melt if anyone tried to use them for coffee.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The irony is that plastic straws like most plastics are recyclable. What I don't understand is the energy difference in processing a plastic straw into a new plastic versus breaking down a paper straw in industrial composting. PLA plastic is both biodegradable and recyclable, I believe recycling is significantly more efficient in that case.
The plastic may be recyclable, but the shape and size makes it too difficulty.

OP
OP
Sunster

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Recycling in America is pretty non existent compared to other countries. It basically just goes into different trash piles.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's also a difference in the type of materials like melting points that may require other hardware which mean people's shitty underfunded recycling programs can't take it. There's actually home machines that can recycle common plastics like ABS and PLA and turn them into filament for 3D printers. Basically, on the global scale we need to get better at recycling and the bulk of that needs to be on cities, private waste companies are only going to do what costs less.

[edit] Actually, there's currently nothing to stop restaurants from recycling plastic on site. This would be way more efficient still you take out transportation costs and they control the material they hand out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Banned on the beaches in the City I work in. The hotels give those paper straws, but most people just go without rather than let some paper tube slowly disintegrate in their over-priced Tequila Sunrise.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I run into them now and then. I don't tend to use straws anyways. I do prefer the gay ones over the paper straws. Those paper straws....just garbage.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it's not a plastic straw I don't get one at all. If I'm going to be drinking where I can have no lid then I don't use a plastic one either.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I just take more plastic straws when I'm at a spot that has them and stash em in my car to save for when someone tries to serve me a drink with a paper towel roll to drink out of.

One day biodegradable straws will work but it's not this day.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been given anything other than a plastic straw. Paper straws sound dumb.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Hate these fucking things. Nothing ruins the enjoyment of a drink in a restaurant faster.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Considering people still bitch about the push away from incandescent bulbs, probably not.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started with Subway last year. Now every single fast food/fast casual restaurant except Checkers/Rally's and I think Burger King in my city (Saint Petersburg, FL) uses biodegradable straws. Has this been happening in your town? Non-US Era? I think it's great. Like everyone just collectively said no more plastic straws and then boom they were gone a year later. This is literally how it's supposed to work. If on;y we could apply that to other things everyone wants like gun control, universal healthcare, etc..

A reminder that banning Plastic straw is ableist as shit and anyone supporting the ban is ablest;

1019_Straw_Chart_Logo.jpg