• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who resells the majority of games they buy i love subscription services and i hope more follow suit because it saves me a ton of money. I get to play brand new games for a fraction of the cost and i get to play games i normally wouldn't spend money on. Outside the digital games i buy on a whim because they are like a few dollars or the handful of games i keep because i know ill revisit them the ownership thing doesn't really matter to me because when next gen rolls around ill never go back to this gen. It's the same with Movies, TV and music to me. I consume it through subscriptions.

That being said do i want to see this be the way everyone consumes the medium in the future? No, i think physical media still has a place and has a place for quite a while longer and i know a lot of people prefer to own their games and collect and a lot of people don't like subcription services. I think subscription services are a good alternative and i think it's great along side actual ownership.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who resells the majority of games they buy i love subscription services and i hope more follow suit because it saves me a ton of money. I get to play brand new games for a fraction of the cost and i get to play games i normally wouldn't spend money on. Outside the digital games i buy on a whim because they are like a few dollars or the handful of games i keep because i know ill revisit them the ownership thing doesn't really matter to me because when next gen rolls around ill never go back to this gen. It's the same with Movies, TV and music to me. I consume it through subscriptions.

That being said do i want to see this be the way everyone consumes the medium in the future? No, i think physical media still has a place and has a place for quite a while longer and i know a lot of people prefer to own their games and collect and a lot of people don't like subcription services. I think subscription services are a good alternative and i think it's great along side actual ownership.

Physical will always have a place. Vinyl is a billion dollar a year business.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait until the game subscription space gets extremely fragmented and we get a bunch of games locked to different subs. Value.

A lot of games are already locked behind a $300-$400 paywall called a console. I can't play Switch games on my Xbox or PS4. Games have been fragmented since the very beginning. Having to pay for a $10 sub to have access to a collection of other games, when you can unsub when you've played the games you want and switch to a different sub, isn't really a big deal.

Would prefer it to just be an option as I like to own my games.

You can buy every single game on Game Pass, and you get a discount if you have a sub.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of games are already locked behind a $300-$400 paywall called a console. I can't play Switch games on my Xbox or PS4. Games have been fragmented since the very beginning. Having to pay for a $10 sub to have access to a collection of other games, when you can unsub when you've played the games you want and switch to a different sub, isn't really a big deal.

That's a really great point. Buying a device to play their games is kind of ridiculous.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the Xbox gamepass model is sustainable TBH

Apples will be interesting to watch and see.

Both are coming later to the game as sub services though. Not pioneers at all.

tuhi009

May 1, 2018
its kind of good this way...

* I wanna play FH4.
* I get gamepass
* play for 1 month-ish
* i am satisfied
* unsubscribe

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Physical will always have a place. Vinyl is a billion dollar a year business.
I'm not saying physical everything is dead and im not saying physical is dead in the next year or anytime soon. But in gaming? PC has been 99% digital for years and consoles will eventually follow suit. If you've been following sales numbers of digital/phsyical it's already been 50/50 for awhile and all it takes is for 1 company decide they don't want to spend money pressing and shipping games.

I would be absolutely shocked if consoles weren't digital by 2030-2040. Especially with more and more brick and morter stores being shut down and more and more them widdling down their selection.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying physical everything is dead and im not saying physical is dead in the next year or anytime soon. But in gaming? PC has been 99% digital for years and consoles will eventually follow suit. If you've been following sales numbers of digital/phsyical it's already been 50/50 for awhile and all it takes is for 1 company decide they don't want to spend money pressing and shipping games.

I would be absolutely shocked if consoles weren't digital by 2030-2040. Especially with more and more brick and morter stores being shut down and more and more them widdling down their selection.

Good point on PCs.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I hope not. I dont find the idea of turning my purchases into rentals very "consumer friendly". It should only be a side option at most. Of course these companies will try everything to sell the idea of themselves with more control as a positive

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. I dont find the idea of turning my purchases into rentals very "consumer friendly". It should only be a side option at most.

You only buy any form of entertainment you watch. No movie theaters, streaming and what not? That's crazy and I have to give you props for that.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
You only buy any form of entertainment you watch. No movie theaters, streaming and what not? That's crazy and I have to give you props for that.

Video games are not movies. Books are not movies, hell blurays and DVD's are not movie theatres...your not going to win an argument with me by trying to sell the idea that renting something for a sustained price until the sub runs out rather than owning a product for a lump sum forever is a superior offer. Movie theatres arent even that, because i am not forced to pay in perpetuity to keep going to movie theatres even if i only want to see one movie a year.

And no, i dont pay for netflix and only occasionally pay for PS+, and even then its only for the great sales on PSN for things i can always go back to without worrying about paying out of pocket.

This "always online and connected, always subscribed to the corporation of your choice" dystopia i keep hearing is the future can go die in a fire

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

It's amazing isn't it? Movie and TV ownership wasn't even really a thing until VHS came along and I never heard anyone call cable TV a rental service. For centuries you couldn't "own" music, you could only go see it performed. Suddenly the idea not owning your all media seems like a big brother conspiracy theory to some.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Video games are not movies. Books are not movies, hell blurays and DVD's are not movie theatres...your not going to win an argument with me by trying to sell the idea that renting something for a sustained price until the sub runs out rather than owning a product for a lump sum forever is a superior offer.

And no, i dont pay for netflix and only occasionally pay for PS+, and even then its only for the great sales on PSN.

I'm not trying to win an argument I was just curious.

What if it's a game you are on the fence about and just did a sub for the first month free? Or are you hard set on never even trying it?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thing is...with cloud gaming coming...there will be more opportunities for localized game developers in regions that we haven't seen yet. Subscriptions will help get money from markets that games are currently way too expensive in. I look forward to playing games outside of the USA/EU/Asia regions.
Can you explain some of this, please? Does cloud gaming refer to streaming, and how does that improve or change things for developers in each country?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not trying to win an argument I was just curious.

What if it's a game you are on the fence about and just did a sub for the first month free? Or are you hard set on never even trying it?

Im sorry, i came out too strongly. I apologize.

Incase you missed it above, i felt the movie analogy was a bit off, so i edited a bit.

As for your question here, i do what i usually do and just wait for a big sale. If its something i am not comfortable spending full price on i just wait until it goes down and then i may bite.

I see no reason to have a subscription for that, especially because i dont try games i am not sure i'll like anyways as i have very specific tastes in games.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I think it is the future. Games are becoming more and more commoditized. Really following the path of music and movies. Kinda long overdue to be honest. Market will speak to how successful it will be but many huge players are getting into the subscription game.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing isn't it? Movie and TV ownership wasn't even really a thing until VHS came along and I never heard anyone call cable TV a rental service. For centuries you couldn't "own" music, you could only go see it performed. Suddenly the idea not owning your all media seems like a big brother conspiracy theory to some.

Yeah, it's a weird frame of mind that's why I had to ask. I don't get the opposition mind set of using subs at least to discover new games and buy it after that. I don't know how many movies, music and games I've discovered with subs.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Because owning physical entertainment media became a thing, now its suddenly not a thing after 40+ years, because corps just want to take it away in favor of rentals? THings change and people adapt to the rights and the things they have now.

People gain what they feel they are entitled do, and that's important in a society which says that most rights can be trampled on with a little prodding.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Im sorry, i came out too strongly. I apologize.

Incase you missed it above, i felt the movie analogy was a bit off, so i edited a bit.

As for your question here, i do what i usually do and just wait for a big sale. If its something i am not comfortable spending full price on i just wait until it goes down and then i may bite.

I see no reason to have a subscription for that, especially because i dont try games i am not sure i'll like anyways as i have very specific tastes in games.

Cool man.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Answer me about the questions i am having in my head right now.....because what i hear above is similar to someone saying "well you never before had consumer rights and right of ownership until X amount of time, and then it became a thing...so what's the big deal now with it being taken away"? Its like...yeah...its being taken away, you think people arent going to rebel about having a consumer right taken away just because a long time ago people didnt have that right?

People didnt have rights to a lot of things a long time ago, you cant just act like its fair for it to be taken away now and us to move backwards is right because it didnt exist a long time ago.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Answer me this...because what i hear above is similar to someone saying "well you never before had consumer rights and right of ownership, and then it became a thing...so what's the big deal now with it being taken away"? Its like...yeah...its being taken away, you think people arent going to rebel about having a consumer right taken away just because a long time ago people didnt have that right?

Its not being taken away, it just happens to be a more popular way to consume entertainment. It's cheaper. Google and others literally sells your personal information and people just don't care.
I see your point and stance tho.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Nope, eventually every publisher will want a piece of that pie and make their own subscriptions services on all platforms (Ex. EA Access) and people will need to sub 5 - 10 services to really play all the games they want to.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
Answer me about the questions i am having in my head right now.....because what i hear above is similar to someone saying "well you never before had consumer rights and right of ownership until X amount of time, and then it became a thing...so what's the big deal now with it being taken away"? Its like...yeah...its being taken away, you think people arent going to rebel about having a consumer right taken away just because a long time ago people didnt have that right?

People didnt have rights to a lot of things a long time ago, you cant just act like its fair for it to be taken away now and us to move backwards is right because it didnt exist a long time ago.

Nothing is being taken away from you, if you like owning games you can, everyone else like subscription services because they are cheap, convenient and don't mind they are renting

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its not being taken away, it just happens to be a more popular way to consume entertainment. It's cheaper. Google and others literally sells your personal information and people just don't care.
I see your point and stance tho.

More popular? I dont think its inherently more popular, rather marketing plays a role into conditioning attitudes, and there is plenty of pushback. I have issues with the concept of the market being something that is always right and dictates the right path without reservation, but that's another thing.

Again, they do this stuff because they get more out of it, its not some inherently altruistic goal of being pro consumer. ANd its only consumerist from the perspective of someone who doesnt care about owning what they pay for, something they are counting on trying to appeal to as "the inevitable future", that way they get more control.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I love not owning anything and giving corporations more power over what they offer.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely the mainstream topic of the next few years. But indie games will be crunched, and many won't be profitable. So they're not the future. The craze will die down within 2 decades. But sure next gen expect it to be a hot topic.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Because owning physical entertainment media became a thing, now its suddenly not a thing after 40+ years, because corps just want to take it away in favor of rentals? THings change and people adapt to the rights and the things they have now.

People gain what they feel they are entitled do, and that's important in a society which says that most rights can be trampled on with a little prodding.

Turning this into a rights issue is simply ridiculous. You can purchase every game on Game Pass and keep it permanently. You get a discount on the price if you are a subscriber.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't mind the subscription future but I fear I will have to sign up to quite a few, as every publisher will have one and lock Exclusive games Behind it if successful.