• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
We all know how much Isayama loves its foreshadowing

87f24b5b579056b6e7cbde2d8a830a46bd7549fd.jpg

EESRH-LXoAAh3q7.jpg

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
People are making brash as hell assumptions for an ending we don't know yet, because you want it to be controversial enough to be mad at it. Isayama is a tad more nuanced than that.
Dude dressed the Eldians in the ghettos up like pre-holocaust Jews in Nazi Germany.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand, are we not allowed to depict bad people in fiction doing bad things?

Besides, Eren isn't even choosing to do this.
We are but framing is the key. The ending in the OP seems to justify it.
again, you are asuming that the manga ends with eren killing everybody and eldia suriviving like if nothing happened and moving on.

right?
This is what the thread is about though?

If the ending we are getting is in anyway trying to make seem like Eren did what he had to then it will be excusing genocide. That's literally what the ending in the OP is.

robhans

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): concern trolling
This manga is allow here!!?? Author admited that he's far right wing and his hero and inspiration is war criminal. Why are you talking about this facist product?
And ofcorse extreme nationalism and "fuck you got mine" mentality will be presented as a positive.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
again, you are asuming that the manga ends with eren killing everybody and eldia suriviving like if nothing happened and moving on.

right?
I'm mainly referring about this part of the OP

He lives with extreme PTSD over what he had done and goes only for the sake of his family (guess Historia and their kid), but Paradis does prosper and finally sees peace without terror.

If that how things go down, then it's a big no from me.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Everything in Grisha's time happened because of the influence from the future memories(including Eren's conversing/interaction), and everything in the future memories happens because of the setup in Grisha's time. Those two are permanently part of the feedback loop, and are inseparable parts of a timeline already set in stone. Nothing is being changed because it always was and would be.
It's not just Eren that was interacting Grisha. It was two way with two people. At that point the difference between "future memories" and direct conversation is so small it's being a bit pedantic.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It's possible for the ending to be satisfying even if the villain wins.
Also Eren is absolutely the villain.
He sealed the threat on Paradise Island with the terrorist attack that made the whole world his enemy.
then he used that threat as a justification for eradicating everyone not him.
He's a fucking villain, one of the most vile and delluded too.

Keep in mind, he's also killing every Eldian who is not on the island. All of the Eldians, mind you, are horribly persecuted and live in ghettos with yellow armbands showing they're Eldian.
As of the last chapter, they're splatted as well.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
This manga is allow here!!?? Author admited that he's far right wing and his hero and inspiration is war criminal. Why are you talking about this facist product?
And ofcorse extreme nationalism and "fuck you got mine" mentality will be presented as a positive.

This should be banned for being such a bullshit.

Go and educate youself about the manga better, please, the manga conveys the nationalism and fascism in extremely negative light.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Are you saying if he didn't agree with it he could change a future set in stone? That's literally not how this works.

I'm saying that it's a future set in stone to begin with because it's something that makes sense to him and he agrees with the philosophy behind what he's doing.

If this wasn't in-character for Eren then this would never have happened.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't have to be an extremist, he's one of the few extremists in the main cast. The mere fact is the only person shown to agree and actively pursue Eren's idea (Floch)l a complete and utter nazi should tell you all you need to know about Eren's viewpoints. None of his other friends who went through the same shit he did believe in what Eren is doing. The difference is he see's a future and believes all costs are worthy of making it a reality.
Do you really think Eren sat down with Floch and told him the whole unfettered truth about how he wanted to be a force for justice but fate turned his hand? He recruited Floch because Floch was a willing participant meant to help get Eren and Zeke to the Rumbling. That says absolutely nothing about Eren's motivations or deeper feelings on fate and freedom, it just says Floch is an asshole Nazi.
I'm saying that it's a future set in stone to begin with because it's something that makes sense to him and he agrees with the philosophy behind what he's doing.

If this wasn't in-character for Eren then this would never have happened.
That's pure assumption on your part, and doesn't add up with Eren's very transparent feelings in the new chapter.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno guys, if your telling me that that manga doesn't really get good until after the time skip, doesn't seem like a story worth experiencing. It would be like telling someone One Piece doesn't get good until post time skip.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno guys, if your telling me that that manga doesn't really get good until after the time skip, doesn't seem like a story worth experiencing. It would be like telling someone One Piece doesn't get good until post time skip.

nobody is telling you that either.

also god damn the goal posts moviiiiiiiiinggg

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The manga was good long before it.

It is just that when you reread it and notice the foreshadowing that we had no way of knowing about that it starts becoming something even more special. Some of them were even in the first chapter!

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It's possible for the ending to be satisfying even if the villain wins.
Also Eren is absolutely the villain.
He sealed the threat on Paradise Island with the terrorist attack that made the whole world his enemy.
then he used that threat as a justification for eradicating everyone not him.
He's a fucking villain, one of the most vile and delluded too.

Isayama better go in harder on it being a bad thing then because half the fanbase of Attack on Titan either agrees with Eren or tries to justify the genocide as neither being right or wrong.

That's pure assumption on your part, and doesn't add up with Eren's very transparent feelings in the new chapter.

I think the last chapter made it obvious that he wanted this too.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isayama better go in harder on it being a bad thing then because half the fanbase of Attack on Titan either agrees with Eren or tries to justify the genocide as neither being right or wrong.

I think the last chapter made it obvious that he wanted this too.

yes, thats why he cried when he met that random kid that means absolutely nothing to him.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I won't judge an ending before actually reading or watching it. Execution and context, those matter a lot.

That said, I also don't like the idea that going for full nihilism is somehow inherently "better" than any other alternative.

I'll check this out and see. If I think it's not for me or not a good concept in general, then I'll certainly say it.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has been said multiple times in this post, but ok...

you asked if the direction it took was "bad"

everybody told you that not, it isnt bad.

and then you said, "so if it gets good until the time skip, is not worth it then"

its fine man, you ddidnt like it, no need to justify your decisions by randome people on the internet

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017

Season 3 Part 2 is rated as the #7 best anime of all time in MAL (imdb for anime).

It's just that The Final Season could challenge the #1.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically....if you were to judge it based on that music video then that's full-blown genocide apologism on how it's framed.
Exactly.

If he frames it differently in the manga then be my guest. If he decides to go full in on the genocide apologism then I got a really big problem with it and it would ruin the series.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so what about eren wins, kills everybody, eldia flourishes, but then at the very end, the implication that the loop will begin a new, with suriving not eldians, hating on eldians.

that would be geonocide apologism too?

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly this seems likely since killing Eren or him destroying the rest for peace looks to be the most obvious paths.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
With everything we're had so far how the fuck can anyone side with Eren?
He literally bombed the UN equivalent and sent the world against paradise Island.
He was the tipping point AND now we know that he even wanted this to happen because the little images he had in his head was different from the real world.
Cheering Eren is a Breaking Bad level of reading times 1000.

And the worst part is that by enacting the plan, Eren doomed Paradise Island if he doesn't go through with it.
if the plan is stopped, the rest of the world is justified in wipping out Paradise Island.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically....if you were to judge it based on that music video then that's full-blown genocide apologism on how it's framed.
That's a pretty big if. Does this video really reflect the ending? If it does, does it give enough context and nuance that the manga ultimately will? We are completely lacking in context here so no need to jump to some insane conclusions like genocide apologism. It would be a complete counter message to seriously the entirety of AoT so far.

It strikes me as people just wanting to have issues with it. Let it resolve and we'll debate from there.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so what about eren wins, kills everybody, eldia flourishes, but then at the very end, the implication that the loop will begin a new, with suriving not eldians, hating on eldians.

that would be geonocide apologism too?
We are talking about the ending in the OP.

How is it not pro genocide?
Also for anyone who hasn't read it, this article is pretty good read about the genocide plot points of AoT.

www.polygon.com

The fascist subtext of Attack on Titan can’t go overlooked

The story’s twist exposes the ugly side of the manga and anime
Bro this article again?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
At this point the only way you can think AoT has a fascist message would be if you literally haven't read anything that's happened after the timeskip.

Like seriously.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
With everything we're had so far how the fuck can anyone side with Eren?
He literally bombed the UN equivalent and sent the world against paradise Island.
He was the tipping point AND now we know that he even wanted this to happen because the little images he had in his head was different from the real world.
Cheering Eren is a Breaking Bad level of reading times 1000.

You'll get tend to get some variety of this:

"So you'll just lay down and let the world genocide your land & people?"

"The world started it first."

"Collateral damage. There was no other way. Very sad. Eren was forced to do this."

"It's not real life so who cares? This is fucking fun. Kill them all, God-Emperor Eren. Fuck the Cringe-vengers (Mikasa, Armin, Reiner, Gabi, Falco etc. team up)"

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
are you really, gonna deflect my question???
If the ending treated what Eren did as bad (straight up bad without any excuse) then it isn't pro genocide.
With that said, why are you talking about something that isn't in the OP ending? The ending is going on about how what Eren did is good even though he sacrificed a lot.

If this is the actual ending then it is pro genocide. Period.