• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'll admit retconning Indoc Theory would win me over. But they won't do it.

It still feels weird after all this time seeing people arguing that there's one ending that made more sense that the others. All endings suck bad. None make any fucking sense. Red one is "let's nuke the fucking galaxy into oblivion". Blue one is "let's play god for a time because why the fuck not". And Green one is "I took too much fucking drugs mate". And obviously the fourth ending was just a joke ending added with the DLC.

Oh well. The game will likely suck anyway.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Dunno. They may canonize one ending, especially as there's one which seems to please the most rabid fans, but that would mean they'd throw away what was the basis of the games up until now: player choice. Even if most choices were cosmetic at best, they were still taken into account and that was like the major point of both ME and DA games. To have a custom game universe you shaped with little choices over time.

But where they stand, they probably need to build upon the rubble, so maybe they'll just shrug it off one way or another and be done with it.

That's very much correct. Canonizing a certain scenario to the trilogy (which goes beyondthe endings, the simple fact Liara is alive already "invalidates" many playes' stories for example) will inherently make it a bit lesser. Up untill this point every story for every player mattered the same and were equally valid, with ME'4' that won't be the case anymore. But after Andromeda's failture, it seems Bioware thought that was a cost worth paying to try to revive the franchise.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Destroy ending pissed me off because it killed a Geth after all the shit I did to make peace with them.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
There's no scenario where they couldn't pick or construct an ending unless they made a prequel, midquel, or direct Andromeda sequel. The former two are limited choices by existing in the Trilogy's shadow, and there demand for a specific Andromeda sequel is probably very low relative to the weight of reviving the franchise.

A sequel that accounts for player choice in the trilogy just isn't possible.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
There's no scenario where they couldn't pick or construct an ending unless they made a prequel, midquel, or direct Andromeda sequel. The former two are limited choices by existing in the Trilogy's shadow, and there demand for a specific Andromeda sequel is probably very low relative to the weight of reviving the franchise.

A sequel that accounts for player choice in the trilogy just isn't possible.

Reboot.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Sure, but again falls under the trilogy's shadow, as they toe a line between how much of the original story they reimagine and what they cut and introduce. And I can imagine they're not particularly enthusiastic as creators about rebooting a fairly rich series over writing something entirely new within the universe.

Rather than reboot they'd probably just make an entirely new game.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, we already know what they're doing to address the ME3 ending. That was literally the point of the VGA trailer. They're going with the Destroy ending as the basis of their canon from here on out, which is the correct choice if they're not going to hard reboot the franchise.

That said, I won't be surprised if they've been datamining the ME3 stats, forum discussions, and social media in order to figure out what elements they want to flesh out their new canon. Seeing the Geth and Quarians survive and possibly a descendant of Wrex and Eve would be things they might include to massage away the aftertaste of ME3.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Sure, but again falls under the trilogy's shadow, as they toe a line between how much of the original story they reimagine and what they cut and introduce. And I can imagine they're not particularly enthusiastic as creators about rebooting a fairly rich series over writing something entirely new within the universe.

Rather than reboot they'd probably just make an entirely new game.

Any ME game will fall under the trilogy shadow. Having it being a sequel will be no different... I feel like everything you said here can be applied by a sequel set 600+ in the future. Like a reboot, there will be ruptures and continuations. And the trailer emphasizes the latter rather than the former. I'm not even saying a reboot is the best choice mind you. Both choices have advantages and disadvantages, but one exclusive to the sequel is canonizing the trilogy, and that's not something I'm a fan of.

A great game can make me change my mind, but it would have to be a GREAT game.

Also, one must wonder how many actual creators of the original trilogy are working on this. The main guy from the trilogy is not, for one.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered is released. Everything is playing out like I remember. Then... right at the end...

mqdefault.jpg

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
Teaser Trailer explicitly shows off a destroyed Relay so seems like that might be a major plot point or hint at the state of the galaxy. Having all or most of the relays destroyed and out of commission would certainly be conducive for some interesting developments and directions within the setting post ME3. How the galaxy could rebuild, or rather not, when their only means of quick travel is gone. How will areas cope with that isolation, rebuild and drift apart and develop differently from other areas they have little to no contact with.

This with a time skip would be ideal I think. Have the 600 year timeskip up to andromeda time line. Use the stasis tech introduced in that game to bring Shepard and at least some of the human characters back, then create a sort of space dark age between the years of ME3 to Andromeda era, having you wake up and try to repair the relays and unite the galaxy again.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This with a time skip would be ideal I think. Have the 600 year timeskip up to andromeda time line. Use the stasis tech introduced in that game to bring Shepard and at least some of the human characters back, then create a sort of space dark age between the years of ME3 to Andromeda era, having you wake up and try to repair the relays and unite the galaxy again.
Each time you rebuild a relay you get some new icons on the map

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Given what Liara looked like at the end of synthesis ending in Mass Effect 3

SJ0ynez.png

compared to how she was revealed in the sequel teaser, it is likely that Destroy is the canonical ending and the scope of the title in terms distances covered within the milky way drastically reduced, depending how far into the future the sequel takes place. From a a narrative and gameplay point, reduction of "scope" is moot depending upon dense it is narratively and how detailed the worlds the players visit will be.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
There's only one real ending to Mass Effect 3. The one neither Saren or TIM wanted and the only one where Shepard possibly survives... so it's quite clear what they'll do.

I also don't think modern BioWare has what it would take to use another ending as baseline. The world would be way too different in those.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Given what Liara looked like at the end of synthesis ending in Mass Effect 3

SJ0ynez.png

compared to how she was revealed in the sequel teaser, it is likely that Destroy is the canonical ending and the scope of the title in terms distances covered within the milky way drastically reduced, depending how far into the future the sequel takes place. From a a narrative and gameplay point, reduction of "scope" is moot depending upon dense it is narratively and how detailed the worlds the players visit will be.

Although I think that it's extremely like they'll base the canon ending on a (very modified) destroy, I wouldn't count anything out from this trailer. There can be one million explanations why Liara didn't look like that 600 years in the future. And the synthesis theme was very much present in Andromeda, so depending on who is writing/directing this game it can very well be a part of it.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I wonder if they will make only one ending avaiable in the Remaster.
I actually think that would be a godd idea

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Personally have no desire to see Shepard again. Shepard's story was the Reapers, that saga is over. Let them rest in peace. Especially if this is set 600+ years later, regardless of stasis tech or anything else. This is a new start for a new adventure and story. Give us a new character. Liara works well as a bridge between that time and the present. And her role as the Shadow Broker could be a very good foundation for a lot of things and using her as a kind of benefactor or boss for our character and team and not as an actual squadmate.

I'm more interested in re-connecting with than re-uniting the galaxy. I want to explore the fallout and developments that occurred after ME3 and the possible decades and centuries of isolation. See what competing factions and territories may have developed over the centuries. Having our character come from one of those only recently re-connected systems or planets and work for Liara as an Agent of the Shadow Broker would be a great setup for us having to relearn the state of the Milky Way and all the changes that have occurred. Working for her to re-connect with other lost systems and colonies as well as maybe larger conflicts like cold and hot wars between some of these various new cultures and territories. Not to mention plenty of opportunity for new alien species to come onto the scene.
I wonder if they will make only one ending avaiable in the Remaster.
I actually think that would be a godd idea
Not a chance. The announcement was quite explicit that they weren't touching anything and only improving performance and graphical fidelity. They specifically addressed not remaking or reimagining anything in the series. Any possibility that they would create a new ending or alter it like that is just not realistic.

I personally wish they actually would do a full on top to bottom remake of the trilogy to address and improve things far beyond just the ending, but they seem to only wish to improve the graphics in a remaster. And surprisingly a vocal minority of fans have come to really like or at least be super attached to their ending choices so you'd likely end up with a FF7 Remake situation but way worse since it wasn't even billed as even a remake, but just a remaster. So that's just opening themselves up for tremendous amount of accusations of misleading and lying to consumers.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
[...]Control is a direct contradiction to Shepard's mission. "Let's build all of this up and spend years building this story about how we should destroy the Reapers and then choose to control them in the final 5 minutes" is another ending that again makes me wonder who approved this garbage.
This is a common take and I've never agreed with it. Shepard takes charge of, slight exaggeration, entire societies and forces their hands throughout the saga. Doing so with the Reapers is entirely within character.

I don't think they're going to do anything with Control, but Paragon Control is a fantastic ending and completely in line with what a pure paragon would do.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Not a chance. The announcement was quite explicit that they weren't touching anything and only improving performance and graphical fidelity. They specifically addressed not remaking or reimagining anything in the series. Any possibility that they would create a new ending or alter it like that is just not realistic.

I think the chances of them chaing the ending is very small (although I do think they will shoe horn the Andromeda Inniative in the game somehow) but I wouldn't count it out 100%. This blog post was just something quickly put together (personally I believe the only reason they announced the game was because it was already leaked) and it doesn't mention the changes to ME1's combat that are reportedly happening.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Whenever discussion moves to the space child, I wonder if people ended up thinking it was a literal space child.

Well considering that the space child is a metaphor for trauma fed into the magic space McGuffin that was the Catalyst, I wonder if it being a literal space child might have actually been a less stupid plot device.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Any ME game will fall under the trilogy shadow. Having it being a sequel will be no different... I feel like everything you said here can be applied by a sequel set 600+ in the future. Like a reboot, there will be ruptures and continuations. And the trailer emphasizes the latter rather than the former. I'm not even saying a reboot is the best choice mind you. Both choices have advantages and disadvantages, but one exclusive to the sequel is canonizing the trilogy, and that's not something I'm a fan of.

A great game can make me change my mind, but it would have to be a GREAT game.

Also, one must wonder how many actual creators of the original trilogy are working on this. The main guy from the trilogy is not, for one.

Oh for sure. There's no way they can move out of the trilogy's shadow. Andromeda underwhelming probably compounds the situation; expectations are higher and there's less wiggle room for failure. I can just see why it's not a reboot and I'd be surprised if it was ever seriously considered. Reboots are relatively uncommon until a series hits mechanical and conceptual stagnation. Devs tend to prefer soft reboots if recent history is anything to go by. Andromeda was that and...yeah.

And yep, Drew is not there any more. He's with that new studio. Can't remember that name.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It doesn't guarantee that.

There are dead Reapers in all three endings. And Shepard has destroyed mass relays.
That would be some very weird red herring type shit that the only two clearly identifiable things from ME that were shown besides Liara were a dead Reaper and a destroyed Relay which have much more relevance with Destroy, but nope we're actually in one of the two endings where the Reapers were almost all still alive and helped to rebuild everything, including the Relays. Destruction or something very similar is just the only ending that would make for a workable continuation of the series without resorting to major contrivances. There's no great fundamental change to how the galaxy operates in Destruction.

For Synthesis and Control they just have too far reaching of implications and are functionally, if not explicitly, utopian endings that are meant to eliminate conflict within the galaxy. To make them work would mean neutering their supposed effects and outcomes so much that they're effectively inconsequential, thus undermining those ending choices completely.

Control leaves you with effectively a Machine God Shepard inside every Reaper ship with access to completely unmatched technology and all the knowledge of untold numbers of galactic civilizations spanning back over a billion years. They could deal with any threat or issue that arises without effort. Whether it was through sheer military power or through knowledge and technological advancement. There is no conflict in that setting, as Shepard and the Reapers could fix anything.

Synthesis is much the same, just even more utopian by using way more abstract reasoning. It fundamentally doesn't make sense, but even taken on face value it is meant to connect all living things together, organic or synthetic, creating some kind of galactic collective that eliminates all conflict and again features the Reapers sticking around and helping, once more providing them with unmatched technology, military power and a over a billions years worth of knowledge from countless cultures. All life is now somehow connected and on top of it has the Reapers to protect and provide any level of service and aid to any issue they might face.

Using either of them would require some super contrived justification to eliminate the Shepard/Reapers one way or another and that still doesn't address the other aspects and implications of Synthesis which I'm not even sure how you would begin to parse that out and properly develop it. Does everyone now have access to some collective consciousness, but also individuality. Collective immortality but individual mortality. It just doesn't make sense nor how you could convey that within a game and to the player character.

Jan 4, 2018
I've always been a Control stan but there's no way they use it as a canonical ending for a sequel, imo. Destroy makes the most sense for a follow-up. I'm more interested in how they account for other choices made throughout the trilogy.

There's the question of the genophage, the geth and quarians, whether Shepard romanced Liara or not, and surviving or dead Krogan and Asari allies.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they picked Destroy as canon but I feel like a lot of people aren't going to consider that a thing their Shepard would do. Those endings are so nebulous in specifics that you could fudge it to be any of the three.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a Control stan but there's no way they use it as a canonical ending for a sequel, imo. Destroy makes the most sense for a follow-up. I'm more interested in how they account for other choices made throughout the trilogy.

There's the question of the genophage, the geth and quarians, whether Shepard romanced Liara or not, and surviving or dead Krogan and Asari allies.
Time skip so long it ceases to be an issue with some added "well, somebody cured genophage, might have been Shepard, might have been his previously unheard of cousin, records are sketchy, but i's cured, deal with it" narrative tricks.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They could always get William C Dietz back onboard. We need more rickshaws.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they picked Destroy as canon but I feel like a lot of people aren't going to consider that a thing their Shepard would do. Those endings re so nebulous in specifics that you could fudge it to be any of the three.

They're nebulous on the surface but the practical implications of the endings and, more specifically, the post-ending states added in the extended cut would be hard to circumnavigate without assigning a canon. Reapers being wiped out along with all artificial intelligence, Geth included, has pretty significant implications versus Shepard becoming some weird Reaper hive mind, or worse, synthesis. Then you've got the issues of Geth/Quarian conflict and the Genophage. You've got three species there that range from thriving to extinct.

I agree with what others are implying in that a 600+ year time gap will probably be leveraged to add some degree of ambiguity to whatever they choose. It's avoidance of addressing a chosen canon despite...still picking one, but I could see BioWare trying to tiptoe around it; can't avoid picking a canon, or developing one, but can wrap it in enough unexplained mystery that players can fill in some of the gaps on their own.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be interesting if the Mass Effect collection actually changes the ME3 ending(s) to pave way for Mass Effect Next.

Jan 4, 2018
Time skip so long it ceases to be an issue with some added "well, somebody cured genophage, might have been Shepard, might have been his previously unheard of cousin, records are sketchy, but i's cured, deal with it" narrative tricks.

Yeah but there's other things that will matter like people who chose the geth over the quarians but picked destroy anyways. People who's Grunt and Wrex died when they could theoretically be alive after a timeskip. Not to mention, like I said, whether Shepard romanced Liara or not. I think there's too much variance that could still come up for them to use a fully bespoke trilogy outcome instead of offering some player choices and writing a few differences to the story. I don't think the ending will be one of them, but it'll be hard for them to just start from the same world state for every player.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Bioware ever released the ending statistics as part of their player choice infographs. I wonder if it was because so many people chose destroy (or specifically didn't choose synthesis), or if they just didn't want to bring up the endings again. Would love to see those stats.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but there's other things that will matter like people who chose the geth over the quarians but picked destroy anyways. People who's Grunt and Wrex died when they could theoretically be alive after a timeskip. Not to mention, like I said, whether Shepard romanced Liara or not. I think there's too much variance that could still come up for them to use a fully bespoke trilogy outcome instead of offering some player choices and writing a few differences to the story. I don't think the ending will be one of them, but it'll be hard for them to just start from the same world state for every player.
Make it nebulous. You don't play as Shepard anymore, Shepard is a mythical figure shrouded in legend and mystery. If you meet Liara she just says she knew them well, which can mean anything. All OG party members just don't appear (probably long dead) and are not mentioned due to not having any relevance to the plot (if they could technically still be alive, like my man Wrex). I admit this won't care of everything but being enslaved to all the choices from the OG trilogy is much worse, creatively.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if they introduce some reality-warping eldritch cosmic entity that just swoops in and hits the reset button on the universe or something.

Jan 4, 2018
Make it nebulous. You don't play as Shepard anymore, Shepard is a mythical figure shrouded in legend and mystery. If you meet Liara she just says she knew them well, which can mean anything. All OG party members just don't appear (probably long dead) and are not mentioned due to not having any relevance to the plot (if they could technically still be alive, like my man Wrex). I admit this won't care of everything but being enslaved to all the choices from the OG trilogy is much worse, creatively.

Honestly wouldn't be super excited about a Mass Effect that's a direct sequel to the trilogy and ignores all the fanservice of referencing things that happened during the Reaper War.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He won't be back for 99%. :(
Turian lifespan in about 150 years and it seems story occurs after that. Although it's a sci-fi game, so there are possibilities for things like Cryogenic Sleep!
Cryo stasis is canon in the games thanks to Andromeda, so yeah there is still hope we will see our boy again.
Qne5PjT.gif

Jan 4, 2018
Frankly I want them to move on. But then again, I liked Andromeda.

I did too, and I'm hoping ME4 is both a trilogy and Andromeda sequel at the same time. But if it's going to ignore all of Shepard's journey for the sake of not having to write around choices you could have made, it feels like it might as well be Andromeda 2 full stop. But i get that Andromeda 2 is a harder sell than Mass Effect 4.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The answer is to cherry pick the most interesting elements from every one of them and then make the state of the world such that any of the 3 endings could presumably have occurred. Setting the game 600ish years after the original (which seems to be the plan) gives them a whole lot of leeway to have the game never directly address the ending with any more than a few cursory nods

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be shocked if they introduce some reality-warping eldritch cosmic entity that just swoops in and hits the reset button on the universe or something.
That's figuratively and perhaps literally suicidal for Bioware to do. They don't have the good will to do something like that, especially if it would take us back to a scenario where the Reapers are still around. They need to distance themselves from the Reapers and ME3 endings as much as possible, story-wise.

I feel like any referencing of the trilogy will come in the form of conversations with Liara (who'll probably be a supporting cast member), where she goes "Well, actually, Shepard did/was like this..." or something like that.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They can do their own thing and still have callbacks. I think using Liara in the teaser is an indication of intent to take advantage of trilogy nostalgia.
Nostalgia is great if used smartly and sparingly. A good continuation will acknowledge the events that came before it and explore their outcomes and logical conclusions or developments where it makes sense. The Reaper War is the single greatest event in galactic memory, even 600 years isn't going to change that. The Rachni Wars, Krogan Rebellions are both older than that by 2x or more and still talked about.

But if all they've got is 'remember this' and 'remember them' it's going to be really fucking lame. Liara, EDI, Grunt and maybe Wrex could feasibly be around in some capacity, but that's it. Everyone else would required some real dumb bullshit to bring back. Liara would make for a good bridge between the old and new. As the Shadow Broker, or some evolved version of it, she would be a great behind the scenes mentor character much like Anderson was to Shepard. But that's about where it should end. I don't want to see her or any of them as a permanent squadmate again. Don't ignore they exist, but also don't just name drop them or have them cameo simply because I recognize them. Use them in a way that fits with the story being told.
Cryo stasis is canon in the games thanks to Andromeda, so yeah there is still hope we will see our boy again.
That would be supremely boring and contrived. Fans and creators need to learn when to let go. Let Garrus have a life and legacy of his own. It would be one thing if this game looked like it would be a few decades after ME3, but we're most likely looking at 600+. Gotta just let it go or not even bother trying at all.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I did too, and I'm hoping ME4 is both a trilogy and Andromeda sequel at the same time. But if it's going to ignore all of Shepard's journey for the sake of not having to write around choices you could have made, it feels like it might as well be Andromeda 2 full stop. But i get that Andromeda 2 is a harder sell than Mass Effect 4.

I suppose that begs the question of what constitutes as "Shepard's journey" and the scope of storytelling it allows, alongside creative desire to forge new ground. The trilogy is rich with memorable content, I don't think I need to profess my own love for it any more than I do, but there's a real risk of creative stagnation when you're anchored too heavily to the past. I've criticised BioWare for this in the past; they need to ensure they're writing stories they want to tell, that inspire and motivate them, and not stories "for the fans". And as much of a fan I am myself, when you tether yourself too closely to the past you run the risk of endlessly pandering to what fans want to see and hear about instead of just moving on and telling new stories. And unfortunately I don't really trust BioWare, if in that position, to err on the side of caution. They're bad for fan pandering.

Funnily enough I ended up liking Andromeda like you, and one of my criticisms was how it haphazardly pandered to romantic ideals from the trilogy for no reason. Another Citadel, another Normandy, another advanced precursor race that disappeared, etc etc. All the while undermining its own unique premise and ability to act as a soft reboot.

So I can see why a trilogy sequel with a potential time skip would seem like the best choice. It provides a basis to leverage trilogy material in various ways that could be interesting (eg: who survived, the state of the galaxy and its various empires, the scars of war remaining, etc) that still fundamentally acts as a "sequel" but in the same breath distances itself away from specifics so you don't end up with fans getting excited just so they can see Garrus/Tali/Liara/etc again, or because they're desperate to visit Nexus 3.0, or because they want to see the fate of Conrad Verner. I've long advocated for a direct sequel, but I'm open to the idea of a time skip for what it can provide.

Liara would act as an anchor character too, a way to bridge the identity and lore of the trilogy over to a new story technically set in the same universe but some time apart. It's not unusual for writing to have a character like this; an old sage, ancient record keeper, etc. Some character that can serve as both a lore dump and an engaging identity, to personify a period of time that is now gone, and invite both familiarity and new. I can imagine BioWare are well aware that they probably still need to start a new story not too beholden to the past.

Because, and I don't want to alarm anyone, but by the time this comes out Mass Effect 1 ain't gonna be fresh any more. It'll be the beginning of a trilogy that was wrapped up two hardware generations ago. And if we ballpark a launch date, Dragon Age 4 in ~2021/2 and Mass Effect 4 in 2024/5, there will be 17 and 18 year olds picking up the new Mass Effect who were born the year the trilogy started.

EDIT: Also beyond the logistics of Liara being one of the few characters that could be alive, it'd be neat for her to be in that role. It fits her character's origin; an archaeologist who has dedicated her life to documenting history and unravelling truths. We meet her as someone devoting her life to Prothean history, namely their disappearance. She rises to the role of a person with access to the most information in the galaxy. And in the war's climax she's one of the few characters thinking beyond victory, creating the blackbox to ensure the past is documented in case of loss. Her being a central bridge between the old the new fits her identity to a t.

Last edited:

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I am still waiting for the Rachnid Queen to do something noteworthy after I saved her ass in ME.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
They're nebulous on the surface but the practical implications of the endings and, more specifically, the post-ending states added in the extended cut would be hard to circumnavigate without assigning a canon. Reapers being wiped out along with all artificial intelligence, Geth included, has pretty significant implications versus Shepard becoming some weird Reaper hive mind, or worse, synthesis. Then you've got the issues of Geth/Quarian conflict and the Genophage. You've got three species there that range from thriving to extinct.

I agree with what others are implying in that a 600+ year time gap will probably be leveraged to add some degree of ambiguity to whatever they choose. It's avoidance of addressing a chosen canon despite...still picking one, but I could see BioWare trying to tiptoe around it; can't avoid picking a canon, or developing one, but can wrap it in enough unexplained mystery that players can fill in some of the gaps on their own.

If the time skip is that long it does solve a lot by omission. Still feels like Control and Destroy would be a lot easier to smooth over than Synthesis, since Synthesis sort of...changes the nature of life and reality as we know it?

I remain in the "Don't make more Mass Effects" camp but if they insist on it I hope they have a solid idea and a real story to tell. Because Andromeda sure didn't.