• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That is Liara talking but 3's endings were.... divisive. Not to mention I don't know one can make a direct sequel on any of them. So what's the best choice here?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they'll pick one or craft a new one. if people whine about "but that wasn't my choice", oh well

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Time skip. Liara has a long lifespan.

They'll likely explore the concept of reunifying the galaxy after the relays are destroyed.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Personal preference: It looks like it won't be Control so and leaning towards Destroy.... good. Fuck the Illusive Man.

They'll probably retcon the whole AI/Geth being destroyed mess, they're too popular in Bioware's eyes.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Destroy ending as canon.
Somehow the Geth and AI's aren't completely destroyed.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Canonize Destroy is the simplest and makes the most sense, both in general and especially with what was shown in the teaser. Or they could go the route of kind of creating a whole new ending that isn't explicitly any one of the main three from ME3 to somewhat soften that need to pick a definitive ending of some kind so as to not make people feel like their choice was the "wrong" one. Take the best parts or just make up entirely new elements from the three choices. Not having all AI like the Geth and EDI get wiped out would probably be a lot more interesting for one.

Anyone expecting or demanding they somehow honor and carry over those choices from ME1-3 are flat out delusional and extremely selfish in my mind. It's an absurd expectation and one that simply isn't realistically feasible, nor a good narrative foundation for a new entry in the series.

Last edited:

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they show Reaper bits in the background of the trailer? I assume that means that they would choose as canon either the perfect destruction end or the good destruction end, the only difference being shep lives or dies respc.

I really hope they take a big risk here and shake something up with a bit time skip forward and maybe even trying to deal with the fallout of the Synthesis ending or something. But I feel like after Andromeda, they will prefer to play it safe with ME4 and do a lot of fan service to get the franchise back on the rails.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Pick one canon outcome post ME3. No matter which ME3 ending you picked, that same outcome happens just in different ways. Basically Dragon Age it.

I don't really care how they get us there, just so long as they do. This isn't their first rodeo with a sequel to a game that was pretty closed ended and had wildly varying outcomes (in the moment).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
By picking a canon ending and hopefully taking the good/useful things out of all of the other endings to include for story potential.

If it were me, I'd use the Destroy as canon, and take EDI and Geth being around from Control, make a new Cerberus style group trying to control Reapers/Reaper tech, and a religious/political group trying to merge with synthetic life.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the best way to address it is to change it in the upcoming remaster.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
They'll most likely make a combination of the different endings like Destroy+Control ---- Reaper destroyed but synthetic like EDI and Geth still alive.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They will pick "destroy" as canonical, and that'll be that.

As they should, mind you.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I'm glad that there are others out there who preferred the destroy ending. The other endings felt too eerie and wrong.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Unfortunately, they are going to have to make one of those endings canon. I disliked all of them. Going to be interesting to see how Bioware pulls this off. I'm going to assume they repaired the mass relays that were destroyed for starters?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm going to assume they repaired the mass relays that were destroyed for starters?
Teaser Trailer explicitly shows off a destroyed Relay so seems like that might be a major plot point or hint at the state of the galaxy. Having all or most of the relays destroyed and out of commission would certainly be conducive for some interesting developments and directions within the setting post ME3. How the galaxy could rebuild, or rather not, when their only means of quick travel is gone. How will areas cope with that isolation, rebuild and drift apart and develop differently from other areas they have little to no contact with.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I shoot red tubes, I don't bargain with them. Sometimes I even walk into explosions after shooting tubes, just to show the Reapers how much I enjoy destroying them. I feel like this is the logical place to start a new trilogy.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Teaser Trailer explicitly shows off a destroyed Relay so seems like that might be a major plot point or hint at the state of the galaxy. Having all or most of the relays destroyed and out of commission would certainly be conducive for some interesting developments and directions within the setting post ME3. How the galaxy could rebuild, or rather not, when their only means of quick travel is gone. How will areas cope with that isolation, rebuild and drift apart and develop differently from other areas they have little to no contact with.
All version of Extended Cut ending already implied the Mass Relays are repaired seeing all the different aliens already back on their home planet after the war on Earth. And I'm pretty sure there's a line somewhere in the game about Asari close to building their own Mass Relay, so there's already a canon reason to fall back to.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
All version of Extended Cut ending already implied the Mass Relays are repaired seeing all the different aliens already back on their home planet after the war on Earth. And I'm pretty sure there's a line somewhere in the game about Asari close to building their own Mass Relay, so there's already a canon reason to fall back to.
Sure, but again the teaser makes a point a show a destroyed relay, it's one of the only things until the very end w/ Liara that we actually see anything tangible and ME related, and we still don't have a clear indication of just how much they're going to stick to the endings in ME3, EC or not. Even if they're really faithful they could go for a really bad ending with a very low galactic readiness rating where the Relays are explicitly more damaged, not just the rings, and nothing gets rebuilt to maximize the fallout and disruption of the war to make for a more volatile and conflict ridden galaxy. Wouldn't be the first game series that continued on from an outright bad ending over a good one.

Also, I don't think the Asari were close to building a relay. One of the matriarchs talked about how they should spend more time and resource studying them and trying to reach a point where they could, but that was no indication of them being at all close to doing so any time soon. It was just a desire to put their focus into something more productive and forward thinking.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
If they avoid the Deus Ex IW solution, i.e combining all the endings into one, that would be a start. What Ion Storm did was stupid.

Ideally they can make each ending as a potential origin story or intro for the new Mass Effect, but each ending has far reaching implications that is just not feasible.

Realistically, they'll pick the most popular ending, destroy, and move on.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Do the Deus Ex: Invisible War solution. All the endings happened at once, and they were all unsatisfactory.

Now that I think about it, weren't the ME3 endings very similar to Deus Ex's endings?

Deus Ex had 1. Status quo, 2. Become a machine god, 3. Destroy everything
ME3 had 1. Synthesise machines and humans, 2. Become a machine god, 3. Destroy everything

Edit: To be clear I'm taking the piss about the IW solution. Please don't do that.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Well damn. You putting it like that certainly has me a LOT more interested now!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They're either going to pick an ending or they're going to be completely obtuse about it and dodge the question, which is entirely possible given the apparent gap between ME3 and the next game, and just move on with whatever the next game is about.

They can completely dodge commiting to one ending by never mentioning what happened to the Reapers and just considering that Shepard was never seen again. The dead Reaper seen in the trailer, just like any other possibly seen in the game, might have been killed by Destroy or just regular space battle, so the game never has to commit to any of these choices. The Mass Relays stopped working in all endings anyways, so that also isn't confirmation of what actually happened (actually, interestingly, the Destroy ending clearly shows the Mass Relay rings being destroyed, and the trailer has them intact. That could be chalked up to merely "retcon", too).

The only ending that was always off the table for any sort of sequel was Synthesis. That one we know ain't the one.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
Do destroy. Then either have a plot about power struggles within what survived the reaper attack. Or do a story about uniting against a new enemy just as they are trying to get back on their feet. Or do a new race comes to help rebuild and do a do we trust them story. Or continue to dive into reaper lore as they try to figure out the cycle and what breaking it means. Or do a story that you are leading an expedition to find shephard as they survived the attack.

There is tons of stuff they can do with destroy.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Simply make several versions of the game. Maybe have companions that can be traded between them. Give people a reason to buy the game multiple times.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
By making the "Perfect" Destroy ending, the one that shows the N7 armor in the epilogue, the canon ending. Or maybe they'll come up with a retcon and say everything else was a illusion or whatever.

Synthesis is so bad I legit wonder who the fuck approved that, and Control is a direct contradiction to Shepard's mission. "Let's build all of this up and spend years building this story about how we should destroy the Reapers and then choose to control them in the final 5 minutes" is another ending that again makes me wonder who approved this garbage.

Edit: pick Perfect Destroy then come up with some mumbo jumbo that somehow allows EDI and the Geth to survive. I guess they're are too popular with the fandom to be totally gone (and making the game 500 years in the future or something to justify them being gone is just going to piss off people again).

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out. They play the destroy ending. And Right as Shepard is about to go

*record scratch*
Yep that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I hope they put it a few hundred years into the future so that society has rebuilt. I want fancy space cities and cool planets, not destroyed space stations.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sucker Punch went with one ending from inFamous 2 with Second Son. But I hope Bioware actually chooses the one that would benefit the actual story and not because most people will always choose the good sides/better ending.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they just go with the Destroy ending as canon. It's the most interesting one of them anyway

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
ME3 was a nightmare that Shep wakes up from.

Or Destroy ending is canon since
Shep was still alive adjacent in the best version.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, they are going to have to make one of those endings canon. I disliked all of them. Going to be interesting to see how Bioware pulls this off. I'm going to assume they repaired the mass relays that were destroyed for starters?
If you have high enough EMS after the Priority: Earth patch that fixed the endings post release, they show that the Relays aren't fully nuked during the endings and are in degrees of just being dinged up to fractured, only becoming outright destroyed like the originals if you don't cross the thresholds.

And if you did things right, it'll show that Galaxy went right back to work repairing the dinged up Relays. Which they should, given countless species trapped in systems that likely didn't have proper food for them to survive.

I imagine they could play with this to varying degrees by having Relays that needed significant repairs to some that only needed some new fuses and a coat of paint.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they put it a few hundred years into the future so that society has rebuilt. I want fancy space cities and cool planets, not destroyed space stations.
I want both. They should jump far enough to where major hubs have their Relays up and running, but smaller networks are still being fixed or being ignored. It'll add some tension.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
They'll pick the one that best leads into where the new game begins and where they want to take the story.