• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree personally. I had a blast with origins. The changes they made in the ac formula were great. The last game I really enjoyed before this was black flag. Yeah the story was kind of messy but it didn't bother me too much.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What else were you trying to imply with that post? If I misunderstood I apologize, but I don't see how I did unless it was a shitpost. And if it's not what you tried to say then it's at least how it came across.
I meant exactly what I said. That I get a feeling that a lot of people think that they enjoy the series more than they actually do. I used to work in game retail and without fail, Ubi would announce a new AC and people would go mad with hype. And then a few days after release the hot takes would come in about how it's not as good as they thought and trade it in within about 2~3 weeks, and often much less.

Sure enough come the next announcement you'd see the same behaviour again. This happened 4(?) times for me between Unity, up to Origins.

And for sure, I don't like the series as a whole and that's not something I'm disputing (though 2 and Black Flag were 👌👌👌).

What I'm saying is that as far as I have ever seen people keep hyping themselves up for the same series based on the idea behind the name itself and tend to fall into the hype and the marketing without taking the time to reflect on why they don't enjoy it as much as they tell themselves they will, over and over again.

This I'd say can also be said for FIFA (no innovation, people typically only came in buying it to keep up with friends perpetuating this sort of 'feedback loop' resulting in a group of people buying into the series annually without wondering why they don't just keep playing the current year's iteration), and COD (either hoping that this one will feel like MW2 or BLOPS2, though I'm out of the loop with the zeitgeist around COD these days).

Honestly the number of people who just seemed so jaded coming in to buy some series, and especially annualised series just blew my mind. It was always under duress of FOMO to keep up with friends or just this misattributed sense of being outwith the larger community and not being there on Day 1 regardless of whether or not they really want to be. I mean damn, I bought into WatchDogs on day 1 years back because I attended a launch event with a friend and felt awkward for not going there to buy it for myself.

Psychology is weird and through routine, tribalism and intelligent delivery of marketing it can make a lot of people think that they want The Thing when they probably aren't even aware that they don't.

Does the nuance help me sound like less of a dick? I really hope so because I'm starting to think that I come across as having an attitude problem lol

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I meant exactly what I said. That I get a feeling that a lot of people think that they enjoy the series more than they actually do. I used to work in game retail and without fail, Ubi would announce a new AC and people would go mad with hype. And then a few days after release the hot takes would come in about how it's not as good as they thought and trade it in within about 2~3 weeks, and often much less.

Sure enough come the next announcement you'd see the same behaviour again. This happened 4(?) times for me between Unity, up to Origins.

And for sure, I don't like the series as a whole and that's not something I'm disputing (though 2 and Black Flag were 👌👌👌).

What I'm saying is that as far as I have ever seen people keep hyping themselves up for the same series based on the idea behind the name itself and tend to fall into the hype and the marketing without taking the time to reflect on why they don't enjoy it as much as they tell themselves they will, over and over again.

This I'd say can also be said for FIFA (no innovation, people typically only came in buying it to keep up with friends perpetuating this sort of 'feedback loop' resulting in a group of people buying into the series annually without wondering why they don't just keep playing the current year's iteration), and COD (either hoping that this one will feel like MW2 or BLOPS2, though I'm out of the loop with the zeitgeist around COD these days).

Honestly the number of people who just seemed so jaded coming in to buy some series, and especially annualised series just blew my mind. It was always under duress of FOMO to keep up with friends or just this misattributed sense of being outwith the larger community and not being there on Day 1 regardless of whether or not they really want to be. I mean damn, I bought into WatchDogs on day 1 years back because I attended a launch event with a friend and felt awkward for not going there to buy it for myself.

Psychology is weird and through routine, tribalism and intelligent delivery of marketing it can make a lot of people think that they want The Thing when they probably aren't even aware that they don't.

Does the nuance help me sound like less of a dick? I really hope so because I'm starting to think that I come across as having an attitude problem lol

Thanks for the explanation! While I don't agree with your hypothesis I get were you are coming from. For some people it's probably the way you describe, but like you touch on those same people are probably the same with other games and I would guess even other hyped up and super popular media like the MCU movies. I don't believe it's a majority though and definitely not everyone. And yeah. You sounded a lot less dickish in this post. I probably did as well. :P

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
I hit a wall about 40 hours in, the gameplay loop wore on me. Also, yes, I cannot continue the main story without doing side quests.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fortunately that doesn't happen in either Origins or Odyssey and anyone who claims otherwise either hasn't played the game or is lying.

Are you kidding me? I played Odyssey VERY recently and I 100% was level gated multiple times. That is why it's the first AC game EVER that I never finished (story). To suggest that I am lying is ridiculous. Give your head a shake with that kind of bad faith post.

You're fighting a losing battle, unfortunately. No telling these people

You're right, it IS a losing battle. Because what we are saying are the FACTS that we have experienced.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Are you kidding me? I played Odyssey VERY recently and I 100% was level gated multiple times. That is why it's the first AC game EVER that I never finished (story). To suggest that I am lying is ridiculous. Give your head a shake with that kind of bad faith post.

Level gated because you wanted to mainline just the story? Yes, that is impossible in Odyssey, EXACTLY the same way it's impossible in The Witcher 3, not to mention the four main plot lines in Odyssey aren't exactly continuous and are broken by multiple digressions (important to flesh out the story) and branching quests.

If you claim you were "level gated" (as in you had to grind), you are either lying or somehow fail to understand the quest structure in most modern games. Or, you know, you deliberately bend the truth in - in you called it - bad faith.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

You're right, it IS a losing battle. Because what we are saying are the FACTS that we have experienced.

did you adjust this setting? I never found the leveling and exploring problem using the one where enemies don't get more than two levels higher than you. Crit pathing should have steered you away from areas with enemies too strong for you though

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't feel like i was ever "gated off" from anything in origins/odyssey except relatively early in-game, where you 'should' probably be doing other shit anyway.

i suppose i'm due for a replay because this keeps coming up and i can't really relate. but years out i can't definitively disprove it. i do remember origins being more restrictive in this regard fwiw

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got bored after you play hide and seek with the kids. Odyssey had me hooked right from the beginning , think it was Kassandra and the dialogue choices.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Level gated because you wanted to mainline just the story? Yes, that is impossible in Odyssey, EXACTLY the same way it's impossible in The Witcher 3, not to mention the four main plot lines in Odyssey aren't exactly continuous and are broken by multiple digressions (important to flesh out the story) and branching quests.

If you claim you were "level gated" (as in you had to grind), you are either lying or somehow fail to understand the quest structure in most modern games. Or, you know, you deliberately bend the truth in - in you called it - bad faith.

LOL I've played plenty of modern games and understand the structures just fine thank-you. The level gating was prevalent in Odyssey, and not an issue I have encountered in any of those other games. Not to mention the brutal bloat and repetition, but that's a whole other conversation.

Good for you if you enjoyed the side content so much that you happily played through it so the leveling wasn't an issue. But to say that the rest of us are lying because we were level gated and had to grind is ridiculous. No excuse for that behavior.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was regularly killing enemies 5 or so levels above me.

It's called being creative.

Early on you can get the Spartan kick skill.. get an enemy to chase you, kick them off a cliff, rinse, repeat.

People give up way too easily. I wonder how many complaining about AC praise Dark Souls.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
LOL I've played plenty of modern games and understand the structures just fine thank-you. The level
LOL I've played plenty of modern games and understand the structures just fine thank-you. The level gating was prevalent in Odyssey, and not an issue I have encountered in any of those other games. Not to mention the brutal bloat and repetition, but that's a whole other conversation.

Good for you if you enjoyed the side content so much that you happily played through it so the leveling wasn't an issue. But to say that the rest of us are lying because we were level gated and had to grind is ridiculous. No excuse for that behavior.

You did not have to "grind", unless you're using some novelty definition of that word.
You had to do some non-repeatable, non-dynamic, fully voiced, unique side quests that are no different from the level of quality of the main story quest.

Stop being dramatic and stop spouting this disingenuous crap.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You did not have to "grind", unless you're using some novelty definition of that word.
You had to do some non-repeatable, non-dynamic, fully voiced, unique side quests that are no different from the level of quality of the main story quest.

The only disingenuous "crap" is you calling people liars. I'm done conversing with you about this.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
I do agree with you OP and if you think Origins is bad wait till you play Odyssey.

My problem with these games is how it so clearly feels like it's made by a huge team but doesn't feel cohesive enough or have a vision. It just feels like so many things stuffed together which work well enough but none of it ever feels truly exceptional.

I finished Origins and thought it was just alright and tried Odyssey as many were saying it's leagues better and although some things are ultimately most of it feels even worse and I dropped the game after the 80 hours mark. I just couldn't do it anymore and it just never got better.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully Vikings iterates things further. Odyssey improved the combat a ton for me. Had a lot more fun with the combat.

Side quests being more connected to main quests was better too. Just wish they could get a good story to go with the entire package.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Hopefully Vikings iterates things further. Odyssey improved the combat a ton for me. Had a lot more fun with the combat.

Side quests being more connected to main quests was better too. Just wish they could get a good story to go with the entire package.

Although I was really surprised by how bad the combat felt, particularly because of how clunky it was, it is the easiest thing to improve. Dark Souls offer a great template and Origins wouldn't be that bad if it was only more polished.

But I think to really improve the game they have to take a step back and look and how they are designing the entire game, particularly the narrative/quests and what the player should be doing to progress the game further. Making it a string of fetch quests with some cutscenes throw in doesn't work well.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I didnt once feel that there was a grind in either Origins or Odyssey. It's like my copy of the game if drastically different from others or something.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think "awful" is probably strong and explains why you have a large number of posters saying things like "well actually it is good." I struggle to really remember much of the game. I just don't think it's particularly memorable or satisfying, though people do like to explore. I don't find exploration for exploration's sake too fulfilling USUALLY, but I can get in a mood sometimes.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017

gotta disagree with the side quests being same quality as main story...
Felt the level gating in Odyssey far worser during my experience.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I started Origins a couple of weeks ago and I'm about 35 hours in so far. I love the recreation of ancient Egypt and I think the game has some stunning areas to wander through and things to discover and I'm liking Bayek as the main character. However I do find the gameplay extremely repetitive with the majority of side quests being rather generic and not all that interesting and the copy paste activities strewn across the map are exhausting. I've been doing almost everything I come across so I haven't had an issue with not being able to progress the story whenever I want but perhaps that is why I'm finding it all so repetitive.

May 15, 2019
Been considering jumping into Origins or Odyssey since the last one I played was...Syndicate? I played through Unity and then started Syndicate, but never finished it (I think I played 2 hours of it tbh).

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
i don't feel like i was ever "gated off" from anything in origins/odyssey except relatively early in-game, where you 'should' probably be doing other shit anyway.

i suppose i'm due for a replay because this keeps coming up and i can't really relate. but years out i can't definitively disprove it. i do remember origins being more restrictive in this regard fwiw

Playing origins now. I just finished hit a point where I am 3 levels below the main story quest, but I just need to do some side quests and will he caught right up. It is hardly grinding.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
the series will never embody anything more than a repetitious grind punctuated with tons of contextual button presses and non-gameplay imho

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I didnt once feel that there was a grind in either Origins or Odyssey. It's like my copy of the game if drastically different from others or something.

Same, I get the sense a lot of these players go into a game these days and if they see certain things: icons on maps, points of interest, collectables (on any level), open world -- then, they automatically hate it. Nevermind that none of those things are inherently bad, and video games are meant to be time consuming diversions, and Origins is plenty entertaining as non-narrative driven fun (for my taste anyway). I can't get worked up enough to argue though, I loved Origins and Odyssey (origins more because of Bayak and setting preference)

But someone looking for a different less casual experience, eh It's not a crime to dislike any game

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. It's such a bad game. What ever happened to infiltrating places and taking down your target stealthy? Now the series has become "grab a mace or whatever and go to town on the bad guy for the next 10 mins or so as you grind away for all that XP" sighs.

And what ever happened to being an Assassin, an actual assassin and not some BS proto version of them that amount to nothing? What have they done to you, my poor Creed.
Your complaints fit Odyssey more than Origins.

Them giving you the option to use the mace does not take away the option of doing a mission steathily.

Oddysey's issue is stealth can be borderline impossible in some areas, but that isn't an issue for Origins at all.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It honestly kills me inside, but I have to suck it up and understand a lot of people prefer it. But Assassins Creed was always my favorite series, just seeing how they push technology, develop their crowd engines and animation systems, making you truly feel you are part of this bustling city was unmatched. The power fantasy of being a bad-ass assassin that cannot be stopped was always a guilty pleasure of mine. While I do appreciate when developers break things down to rebuild it up, I wish they left the occasional Assassin Assassin game for us that appreciate that sort of gameplay that is no longer catered to...

The old formula Assassin Creed titles had huge flaws, but my hopes were always for them to be refined, not scrapped and re-identified to fit a more appealing mold.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing it at this moment disagree. Not the best game but I'm enjoying the loop. Bought the season pass and playing the hidden ones. I hope the normal edition of odyssey goes on sale soon to pick that up. (My buddy used to be a manager at gamestop and gave me the season pass for free long ago so I dont want to spend the extra money for the gold edition right now as it would be a waste. )

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I dont understand the appeal for this franchise and there is always someone that almost convinces me to give it another shot. Is the setting the main appeal?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm playing it at this moment disagree. Not the best game but I'm enjoying the loop. Bought the season pass and playing the hidden ones. I hope the normal edition of odyssey goes on sale soon to pick that up. (My buddy used to be a manager at gamestop and gave me the season pass for free long ago so I dont want to spend the extra money for the gold edition right now as it would be a waste. )

There is something pleasing about the game. Just walking around soaking in the world, climbing something and hearing the sound of the sands against stone, shooting a cat... the cutscenes are also very good. But how the game is structured, how it's bloated, how gameplay feels like an accesory rather than the thing that moves the game foward it's not something that I can just brush aside. They could strive to be more than that.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is something pleasing about the game. Just walking around soaking in the world, climbing something and hearing the sound of the sands against stone, shooting a cat... the cutscenes are also very good. But how the game is structured, how it's bloated, how gameplay feels like an accesory rather than the thing that moves the game foward it's not something that I can just brush aside. They could strive to be more than that.
I wont disagree with the bloat. I started this game years ago and after killing like a third of the target's I put it down until two weeks ago. I had more fun blowing through the main story because side missions were boring. The level gated stuff is frustrating and super excited that Valhalla wont have it. Same for the one hit kill assassins blade.

LazyPanda

Oct 30, 2017
My Origins playthrough took me about 80 hours, I did plenty of stuff but not nearly everything the game had to offer. I didn't *hate* the game but I did feel it dragged on for much too long and plenty of the activities outside the main quest and some sidequests were boring. The game just was overflowing with content that not necessarily added value to *my* playthrough, personally.

That's not to say I have only bad things to say about it, mind you. The Egypt setting was new and interesting for a game of this size, I loved Aya (Bayek not so much, eh), and the educational mode was a pleasant surprise that truly brought to light the insane amounts of research these dev teams do for every AC game.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

I think this is my problem with people saying they had to "grind". Like yo. Ya'll don't know grinding. Grinding is facing the same enemies over and over to level up or afford some new weapons. It's what happened during the SNES to PS1 era of RPGs.

Grinding ain't "go complete some side quests with story". No, that's just "playing the game". I'm frankly baffled by people who just wanna crit-path an open world RPG.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I've just started it, been a couple of hours and I'm already feeling the fatigue. Not a good start by any stretch. I tend to avoid games with this style of open world design but the pandemic is making me do weird things. At least I only spent £12.99 and I guess I have to see if I will break my rule of finishing every game I play.

The atmosphere and art design is terrific though. Just don't know how long I will be able to play it...