• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you avoiding gatherings for Thanksgiving?

• No, I am going over to someone’s place

Votes: 75 12.2%
  • No, I invited people to come over to my place

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • It should be yes, but people are coming over without my approval/consent

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 496 80.8%

• Total voters

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Just meeting with parents the next town over, no extended family, no travel.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm avoiding gatherings, but also going to someones place. lol
Just a 2/3 household gathering which i've already been visiting the past few months.

The videos from the airports and other places are triggering me hard. I can't grasp how someone can fly at a time like this.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
My family is getting together with about 8 people and wife and I said nah haha. Her and I are going to have a feast tho haha.

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
We had a Covid outbreak in our family, luckily no one got it bad, so we canceled all family gatherings.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm going to my parents' house where it'll just be me, my parents, and my grandparents, so just the 5 of us. I work from home. My mom works from her home. My dad doesn't work with people and if he does, he wears a mask, and my grandparents just sit at home all day and watch Fox News. Plus, I've visited them periodically throughout the year anyway (they're a half-hour drive from me).

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way to 'fly cautiously'. It does not exist in this period.

And unless you are postponing Thanksgving to two weeks from now, there is no way you will be able to get tested properly to protect your family. Are you just going to pop in for a quick test when your plane lands??

The virus doesn't care if it is 10 minutes or one hour.

SMH.

Also you can test negative right before you become contagious.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Lost my Uncle and Aunt to convid and my father is in a nursing home and his grandkids might never see him again due to covid.

Stay home and keep it under control.

edit: not looking for sympathy, but wanted to point out that lives have been affected regardless if they are in your circle or not.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Yeah, no gatherings. I would like to see my loved ones at future Thanksgivings. I truly do not think there is a single reasonable excuse to take the slightest chance this week. So many people thinking they're above it, their group or pod or whatever is special, while doctors are begging people to stay home, pointing to small gatherings just like these as a huge contributor to spread, and hospitals are already maxing out. Really sad to think about where we are going to be by Christmas.

Wild to see people rationalize it, too. "Well we are being careful by doing this or that." Like...come on. Listen to the doctors, heed the data.

Last edited:

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017
Still undecided; I've been sequestered for awhile and so have my parents, but I still live a 4 hour drive away so a stay for thanksgiving is still staying over there for several days.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
My mom's having a 20 person gathering at our house against my wishes & seemingly believes that the only way you can get COVID is from being an idiot (which is hilarious coming from a nurse).

Will I leave my room at all that day? Probably not. Will I get some desert and just stuff my face after everyone leaves? Probably.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lost my Uncle and Aunt to convid and my father is in a nursing home and his grandkids might never see him again due to covid.

Stay home and keep it under control.

edit: not looking for sympathy, but wanted to point out that lives have been affects regardless if they are in your circle or not.

I'm so sorry for your loss, still want to say that.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm considering driving 8 hours to my parent's place to have dinner with them and my sisters outdoors. It would just be 6 people, socially distanced and tested.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Before the claws start to fly out here...after seeing all the airport footage, its clear people are going to be doing things. :(

Hope everyone REALLY stays safe if you are.

Practice mask wearing when not eating
limit talking while eating
be/eat with social distancing or outdoors

PLEASE.

Also understand this:

Also you can test negative right before you become contagious.

Yup. Testing NEGATIVE isn't any sort of safeguard. Don't act like a Trumpy.

Last edited:

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️m over at my folks place for the week. We both have been very careful and I️ haven't been out apart from groceries in months

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have lost two family members to Covid. My family will not be doing anything in person for any of the holidays this year.

Please stay safe.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
A 3-person, two household gathering, two of us with negative Covid tests last week. It's not perfectly safe but it's risks we agreed to.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many of these same fucking threads are we going to have

We're staying at home. Dropping off some food for friends and students that don't have relatives around.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
My grandma lives with us, and so I'm setting up a Zoom call with the rest of the 30+ members of the family, but I just found out last night that my grandma invited one of my uncles and his son over. At this point, plan is to grab my food and hibernate in my room.

Extra mad because another cousin has been posting bullshit COVID stuff on Instagram lately, and I'm sure she'll try and make her way over at some point too (the night before the 10pm curfew went into place here in California, she and a bunch of her friends went out and partied specifically to do one last "get together" before the curfew...). Already pissed off half the family due to election stuff, may just tell her to fuck off if she tries to come by.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's also not shame people who are meeting. But make sure they understand the risks.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing Thanksgiving with my sister's family (her husband and two kids). I live alone and work in a mostly-empty office these days, and don't leave the house much. Worst case scenario none of us are at especially high risk for Covid.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Probably not. If we do it will just be immediate family, but since the weather is shitty we likely won't because we can't be outside and distanced while eating. At most my sister and her husband will come over for a little and then just go home with some food to eat at their place.

Our Mom is immunocompromised and my sister is in her first trimester so we've all been on major lockdown since this began and always have masks on and meet outside and stay distanced. So this would be no different. But even though none of us have come into contact with anyone besides us in weeks and months, we'll probably not risk it in the end if the weather isn't permitting.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am, but the folks downstairs in my duplex are going to a Thanksgiving with people flying in. So I'll be avoiding my own backyard for the next two weeks to be safe.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There are two acceptable answers in the poll:
- It should be yes, but people are coming over without my approval/consent
- Yes

Please don't be selfish this Thanksgiving or Christmas, Era. We can take a year off from family gatherings.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
My brother and sister are coming over. They both tested positive for COVID a month ago so they should not be able to get it again and/or carry it and spread it to me. My girlfriend and I live together so we should be able to avoid spreading the rona.

Jan 31, 2018
NYC Area
Definitely not taking any chances with this. Just staying home and having a nice Thanksgiving dinner with the wife.

There's actually a family member who is judging us for avoiding family gatherings and thinking we take this way too seriously, but eff them.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yes

Did a practice run with my mom and dad using Facebook video feature in messenger, so we'll be doing that. It really sucks because Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I haven't seen my parents in over a year.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
Good luck. We tried this when my SO's grandfather died a few weeks ago and her idiot family refused to mask and tried hugging everyone after swearing they wouldn't.
I know my family is going to hug. I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. My wife and I are discussing not going but I'd hate to disappoint my grandpa. Fuck this virus.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It'll just be me and my parents. I've never been one for big gatherings on Thanksgiving.

Just let me eat in peace so I can watch some football.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to have it with my parents and my and cousin. Pretty much the same as every year.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just the wife and kids this year, no outside guests. Not even cooking lol, just ordered a bob evans thanksgiving special to heat up day of.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I know my family is going to hug. I don't know what I'm supposed to do here. My wife and I are discussing not going but I'd hate to disappoint my grandpa. Fuck this virus.
It's going to be difficult & uncomfortable, but the correct course of action is to disappoint your grandfather. The alternative is rolling the dice and potentially killing him, and I'm not saying that to sound dramatic. That's just reality.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
Damn right I'm canceling. Infections are skyrocketing where I live and over 3% of my coworkers currently have COVID. I'm not risking my parents lives for a meal I can have with them at a later date.

Its not like the 26th is a magical irreplaceable day.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Thread title should specify - the essential element is not gathering indoors. People can safely visit with family outdoors providing its distanced. I've been doing it with my family and it's goddamn cold in our city right now - we just bundle the fuck up, have a heater/fire and a bunch of blankets. It's lovely. I feel like information about this strategy is being lost in the mix, and is probably leading more people to make bad decisions about visiting with family indoors in unsafe scenarios because they don't want to forgo altogether.

Really hope the 20% of the thread responses that don't think this applies to them can be convinced by this thread. The line of thinking that "yes but I'm going to be super careful" is driving the pandemic right now - people that have one set of rules for themselves and another for everyone else.

The virus doesn't care if it is 10 minutes or one hour.

SMH.
It actually does - reducing time definitely reduce transmission risk. BUT one hour still carries risk, and given we are at historic proportions, essentially no indoor visits should be considered safe right now to dramatically drop risk.

Deleted member 75819

Banned
Jul 22, 2020
It's going to be difficult & uncomfortable, but the correct course of action is to disappoint your grandfather. The alternative is rolling the dice and potentially killing him, and I'm not saying that to sound dramatic. That's just reality.
Contributing to the odds of his catching COVID and dying a sooner and likely worse death is wrong. You're right. I think we'll stay home this time and just give a call.

Also off-topic, but I'm sorry for insulting you the other day in the other thread. I've been regretting that.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I hate it, but it is not worth the risk to myself or anyone in my family.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm staying home. Normally our family would be driving ~12 hours to my in-laws place but the whole COVID thing kinda killed that. I'm out as I'm essential so I'm a potential infection vector so there's really no way for me to safely travel.

We've got a couple facetime sessions set up with my folks and my in-laws so they can see the grandkids at least.

My birthday is on Thanksgiving. Just gonna do a 12 hour Twitch stream lmao.
What's on the playlist? I'm gonna need some entertainment while I'm cooking.

Last edited: