• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

So what are they?

• War criminals

Votes: 67 30.6%
  • Terrorists

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Soldiers

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • Fuck you, Rico

Votes: 117 53.4%

• Total voters

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, they nuked the planet at the end of 3. Or is this like Harry Truman and bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima or the fire bombing of Dresden, since they "won" they don't go on trial for war crimes?

Here's the ending btw:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't consider Vektans heroes and Shadow Fall outright acknowledges and pursues this direction, culminating with you playing
as the Helghan, Echo
at the end.
I fucking adore this franchise and hate that it's both a joke to many and seemingly forgotten by Sony themselves.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly don't consider Vektans heroes and Shadow Fall outright acknowledges and pursues this direction, culminating with you playing
as the Helghan, Echo
at the end.
I fucking adore this franchise and hate that it's both a joke to many and seemingly forgotten by Sony themselves.

Guerrilla managed to squander Shadow Fall's cold war/Berlin wall arrangement so badly, as usual. It drives me insane how talented the team is and how bad they are were with KZ's story telling.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, they didn't straight up intend to nuke the planet. They just wanted to disable what was going to be a huge space nazi fleet attack. The KZ franchise has always been weird in the sense that it tries to make the audience somewhat sympathetic towards the space nazis. But at the same time, they're space nazis who commit way more war crimes than the Vetkans. So fuck em. It's borderline tone deaf to go "you were the bad guys all along" when it's juxtaposed against this imagery:
5e211d2874a0282b5683174337b4dfd4.jpg

131118-kubas-meyer-video-game_x2k3cg

^

This game goes harder than ever with the "actually the Helghast have some good points" bit but simultaneously starts out with us giving part of the planet to them, and then they execute anyone who hasn't moved out yet. The writers of Killzone did not have the chops to make this premise work. Especially given that the extensive background lore is entirely absent from the games.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Guerrilla managed to squander Shadow Fall's cold war/Berlin wall arrangement so badly, as usual. It drives me insane how talented the team is and how bad they are were with KZ's story telling.

Agreed :(
I'm one of those weirdos who legit loves Shadow Fall, but wish they had John Gonzalez already working there to work on the narrative.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
right? reading this thread would make you think this is one of the coolest universes in the medium but the games don't convey any of this stuff lol

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, they didn't straight up intend to nuke the planet. They just wanted to disable what was going to be a huge space nazi fleet attack. The KZ franchise has always been weird in the sense that it tries to make the audience somewhat sympathetic towards the space nazis. But at the same time, they're space nazis who commit way more war crimes than the Vetkans. So fuck em. It's borderline tone deaf to go "you were the bad guys all along" when it's juxtaposed against this imagery:

^

This game goes harder than ever with the "actually the Helghast have some good points" bit but simultaneously starts out with us giving part of the planet to them, and then they execute anyone who hasn't moved out yet. The writers of Killzone did not have the chops to make this premise work. Especially given that the extensive background lore is entirely absent from the games.

exactly

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The Helghast don't even approach the level of "space nazi" even if they borrow some imagery.
We don't give them the chance to. They were literally on their way to nuking the Vetkan planet after violating several war laws. Again, seperate the lore from the actual content of the titles. The games do NOTHING to make us think "hey, nazi imagery and war atrocities aside, these guys have some valid points and/or justified motivations." It's hard to think about lore when your cutscenes are presented like this and the enemy force is mustache twirlingly evil:

^

"Oh wow I feel so sympathetic since the Helghast were clearly FORCED to behave like this"

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
We don't give them the chance to. They were literally on their way to nuking the Vetkan planet after violating several war laws. Again, seperate the lore from the actual content of the titles. The games do NOTHING to make us think "hey, nazi imagery and war atrocities aside, these guys have some valid points and/or justified motivations."
Nope, closest they got was Killzone Mercenary

Also, Killzone Mercenary has one of the most badass levels (and saddest) in the franchise:

Boris defending Justus

www.youtube.com

Killzone Mercenary Walkthrough | Mission 4 | Veteran Covert | Diplomatic Incident

Killzone Mercenary walkthrough for the Covert mission on Veteran difficulty including all Intel locations.An additional video with all Killzone Mercenary Int...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, closest they got was Killzone Mercenary

Also, Killzone Mercenary has one of the most badass levels (and saddest) in the franchise:

Boris defending Justus

www.youtube.com

Killzone Mercenary Walkthrough | Mission 4 | Veteran Covert | Diplomatic Incident

Killzone Mercenary walkthrough for the Covert mission on Veteran difficulty including all Intel locations.An additional video with all Killzone Mercenary Int...
A Black Ops 2 style campaign where you make decisions, or just any sort of gameplay that involves something other than shooting and/or being made to loath Helghans, would've probably done wonders.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, they nuked the planet at the end of 3. Or is this like Harry Truman and bombing Nagasaki and Hiroshima or the fire bombing of Dresden, since they "won" they don't go on trial for war crimes?

Here's the ending btw:

Holy crap that channel intro is horrible.

Edit: Also what on earth capture card were they using?

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Not to drive this thread too off-topic, but aerial bombardment of non-combatant targets wasn't recognized as a war crime at the Nuremberg Trials, since the laws on aerial engagement at that point were fairly vague. So even the "losers" weren't prosecuted for actions such as deliberately bombing civilian centers during the Blitz, for instance.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At least horrific war criminals. But I voted for fuck you Rico because he's probably the worst character in gaming.
How they gave him the major role rather than the other leads of the original I'll never know.
Fuck you, Rico.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Not to drive this thread too off-topic, but aerial bombardment of non-combatant targets wasn't recognized as a war crime at the Nuremberg Trials, since the laws on aerial engagement at that point were fairly vague. So even the "losers" weren't prosecuted for actions such as deliberately bombing civilian centers during the Blitz, for instance.

Goebbels would be crying tears of joy if he saw how effective his propaganda was 80 years later.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

^

Hmm interesting, what do you think was their goal initially, to go "both sides are bad" or Nazis are not that bad?

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the overarching goal of KZ's story telling was to maintain that no side is true 'good', but with an eye to the Helghan's suffering to humanize them. Still, the Helghan leadership were authoritarian assholes in the end, so their people suffer regardless.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Let us not forget the fucking GOAT casting of Ray Winstone and Malcolm McDowell in KZ3

m.youtube.com

Killzone 3 - Orlock and Stahl Meeting Scenes

🌟🌟🌟 Please LIKE👍, SUBSCRIBE🔔& SHARE👥 🌟🌟🌟Killzone 1 - Scolar Visari ► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-QfKEBX9USpeech HD---------------------------...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm interesting, what do you think was their goal initially, to go "both sides are bad" or Nazis are not that bad?
I, based on the content of the games themselves, cannot glean an intention. Because based on the execution, if we're meant to sympathize in anyway with the Helghast, the end result is incredibly jarring and for all intents and purposes, a failure. Especially by the time we got to KZ: Shadowfall which literally starts with you playing as a child and you nearly got executed by the Helghast, this is day one of the Helghast moving to this planet.

Last edited:

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Killzone has such a good back story and good basis for storytelling in the games, but it never really seems to explore it.

I honestly wouldn't mind a return that maybe does more of what Mercenary did.

I opted for War Criminals though.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rico was straight up a fucking insane piece of shit and a fuck up to boot. He is like a force of nature, where ever he ended up going, shit hit the fan and then the fan exploded sending shit flying everywhere and Rico was like,"FUCK YEAH! WHAT DO WE FUCK UP NEXT?". I was seriously waiting for the protagonist to just shoot him in the face at several points because it would have been the smarter move. No one even seems to like him on his own side.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
whynotboth.gif

One of the major failings of Killzone 3 for me is that it's such an over-the-top Hollywood movie in every other respect that the pseudo-nuclear bombardment of an entire planet is played with all the gravitas of Steve Urkel going "oops... did I do that?

It's still amazing to me that Horizon: Zero Dawn is such a well-written game in comparison. I enjoyed Killzone 2 a great deal but the games I've played in the series have been missed opportunity after missed opportunity to capitalize on a compelling backstory.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
whynotboth.gif

One of the major failings of Killzone 3 for me is that it's such an over-the-top Hollywood movie in every other respect that the pseudo-nuclear bombardment of an entire planet is played with all the gravitas of Steve Urkel going "oops... did I do that?

It's still amazing to me that Horizon: Zero Dawn is such a well-written game in comparison. I enjoyed Killzone 2 a great deal but the games I've played in the series have been missed opportunity after missed opportunity to capitalize on a compelling backstory.

HZD was written by John Gonzalez who was a lead creative designer on Fall Out: New Vegas. GG has been hiring the right kinds of talent for a while now to take their overall production to the next level.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm pretty sure they are connically referred to as war criminals in a collectible newspaper in Shadow Fall.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let us not forget the fucking GOAT casting of Ray Winstone and Malcolm McDowell in KZ3

m.youtube.com

Killzone 3 - Orlock and Stahl Meeting Scenes

🌟🌟🌟 Please LIKE👍, SUBSCRIBE🔔& SHARE👥 🌟🌟🌟Killzone 1 - Scolar Visari ► https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W-QfKEBX9USpeech HD---------------------------...
This was the best part of the narrative, watching this Stalin-era-esque jockeying for power

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, let's not handwave stuff on a technicality. I'm sure they mean actions that are morally war crimes, and are not referring to whatever was narrowly considered as such at Nuremburg.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rico was straight up a fucking insane piece of shit and a fuck up to boot. He is like a force of nature, where ever he ended up going, shit hit the fan and then the fan exploded sending shit flying everywhere and Rico was like,"FUCK YEAH! WHAT DO WE FUCK UP NEXT?". I was seriously waiting for the protagonist to just shoot him in the face at several points because it would have been the smarter move. No one even seems to like him on his own side.
Rico reminds me of those war crime commiting marines Trump pardoned a few months back. They had like 10+ marines on the record being like "yeah this dude was an insane murderous piece of shit who we had to constantly get in the way of to prevent him from murdering random civilians."

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
This is grim dark.... I'd hate to see what you might think of the warhammer universe that place is full of bad guys fighting badder guys

40K has that whole "turnt to 11"aspect that Killzone lacks. The whole joke behind the universe (especially in the older days) is that it's so over the top dark and serious that it just becomes silly. Like there's a character named Iron Hands with iron hands leading the Iron Hands who get iron hands to honor Iron Hands's iron hands. 40k has roided up supersoldiers fighting space Satan in flying cathedrals with chainswords. Senile old man space mummies that made their gods into pokemon. BDSM nuns that set everything on fire. Football hooligan Orks that talk in cartoon British accents.

I don't think Killzone quite reaches that.

Eh, let's not handwave stuff on a technicality. I'm sure they mean actions that are morally war crimes, and are not referring to whatever was narrowly considered as such at Nuremburg.

No, OP was pretty explicit in stating that the only reason the Allies weren't tried for city bombing was because they won the war. Obviously this isn't the case, because the people who lost the war didn't get tried for city bombing.

Last edited:

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They were labeled war criminals and had to go into hiding after the events of Killzone 3.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
as the Helghan, Echo
at the end.

I hope we get to play as a Helghan during the old wars in a future installment. Maybe we can see the rise of Radec.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
People blame Xbox for spreading dudebro trend, but the worst offender has always been Rico.