• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand? They have already announced the PS5 is BC and just announced they have a service that provides PS4 games on PS5 on launch day and you don't think you can play your PS4 games on it?

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EiEsdWWWAAM5eo1
makes me wonder what games won't be backwards compatible and for what reason.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see why they wouldn't. It wouldn't make any sense. Plus, there are still plenty of PS4 games that people might want to spend money on

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I get OP's confusion, especially as someone that's experienced the inability to transfer digital PS3 and Wii/WiiU sales to the PS4 and Switch respectively.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Some Indie-Game from 2014 that did not get a patch for 6 years and was never truly optimized might not work probably.
I don't think any game people think about when they go though their "games I'll replay again"-list won't work on PS5.
Maybe I'm too optimistic here, but ah well...

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I do wonder what this looks like accessing the ps4 library on ps5. I guess they will just have a ps4 section and then all digital ps4 titles in there?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I think here, people want the actual confirmation that their DIGITALLY purchased PS4 game will be able to downloaded and work directly on PS5 rather than physical disc version.

I'd assume that yes, Sony would allow people do this with no issues... unless they are trying their best to lose all their goodwill in one blow.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at how PS3 transitioned to PS4 - some games like Flower and Journey which I had as downloaded titles were immediately available to play as soon as the PS4 versions became available (and at no extra cost). So I'm sure they will just appear and be downloadable considering what they've already said about BC.

hollows100

Jul 22, 2020
why can't you have BC and a remaster
You can. But given TLOU & Unchartered, I'm just a little worried I'll have to pay again for TLOU 2, Spidey, and GoT. I figured there are 100+ million ps4 players and Sony wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to double dip again, especially on smash hit games.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice if we could access our PS3 digital library too. I've got a decent backlog on it, and I hate pulling out that console.

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
Have a question. I know EA said there won't be crossplay across gen for Fifa 21. But I also read that they will give all ps4 fifa 21 owners a free upgrade to the ps5 version.
Would that mean that if I buy the ps4 version, I'm able to play the ps4 version on the ps5 with other ps4 fifa owners?

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, not happy about the little transparency regarding this.

Yeah this is just bullshit. At this point I seriously do not trust what they say and I will just wait to see what they do. They are doing this deliberate cherry picking of words bullshit like Microsoft were doing circa 2013.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Guys why the hell would disc versions be backwards compatible but not the digital version...their code is identical just the delivery methods are different.

smh

Dec 16, 2017
I see it working the exact same way it did on Vita. All your PSP games were right there ready to download.
Exactly. Not sure how this is a real concern after a month of stories about free upgrades. For example, it would be false advertising to say the Control Deluxe Edition included a free update, and then not offer that update for digital copies.

Oct 27, 2017
That's going to be so satisfying. That feeling of logging into the PS5 for the first time. Getting your account all set up. Going to the new PS Store for the first time on your new console and all your PS4 games are there ready to download.

Also is it confirmed that their gamepass style service is just part of PS+ or is it going to be its own thing? If it's just another part of PS+ that's going to be insane.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I think the PS4 Rock Band is disc only, probably one of the only reasons I'd use the disc drive should it work on PS5.

Would love to get rid of my PS4 provided I could play Fire Pro and most of my old titles on the PS5.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

no company will ever proclaims 100% of anything.

Even Microsoft will not dare to proclaims 100% of windows 7 applications will work on Windows 10.

This is just to legally cover their back.

Have you ever seen an antiseptic that claims to kill 100% of the germs?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Given that the thread premise has been clarified, we are locking this thread.

blog.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

www.resetera.com

Jim Ryan: 99% of PS4 games will be backwards compatible with PS5

Probably something they should have mentioned in the showcase, but here we go... https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/09/16/ps5-retail-units/

Status
Not open for further replies.