• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
twitter.com

yuzu on Twitter

“Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition is running well in yuzu on release day! There are a few issues, but we are already hard at work fixing them. Check it out in our latest Early Access builds and expect these changes in mainline in the coming days!!! https://t.co/9TAOcCxEFN”

Amazing

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Emulation will, once again, free us from nintendo's hardware soon

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Ironically for emulation purposes it's better for the games to focus on stuff other than resolution/IQ. Game will prolly look great once it's runnin properly.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bought and streamed 3~ hours of this today, but I might just wait a few months and see how this stacks up on yuzu - I played like half of my original XBC playthrough on Dolphin, and I've been playing XBX on CEMU. It's basically a tradition for me at this point.

Mar 23, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Port Begging
Keep it up. The devs of this software are incredibly talented. I hope one day nintendo sees the light and puts their game on everything. Emulation becoming quicker and "stealing" sales away will only help encourage this. Their games sell insane on Switch. Imagine if they were on PC and current consoles as well? Perhaps even a year or multi-year exclusivity to their own platforms still if they want to keep making hardware? The fact that a mario game is on phones at all is a huge step in that direction.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
It's probably still too green to replace playing the game on Switch, but it's great to see the future is bright AND coming so fast! Emulation really is the greatest thing.

Dec 13, 2017
First time I've seen an emulator crew with a Patreon. Is there a precedent for this and, if so, were they ever sued or forcefully shut down?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wish i had an extra switch that i could hack so i could dump my games and try them with emulation :/

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Fucking radical!

First time I've seen an emulator crew with a Patreon. Is there a precedent for this and, if so, were they ever sued or forcefully shut down?
Both Retroarch and RPCS3 are on Patreon. RPCS3 had to deal with Atlus at one point, but nothing came of it past them not using screenshots of Persona 5 in their description.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Dumb question:

I own this digitally and a physical copy is in the mail.

How in the world can I legally play my copy on this emulator?

Game is incredible and my single issue is the blur over the whole image and OMG if I could run this at even 1080p or higher it would be incredible!

Tbh I had no idea there even was a Switch emulator. I hope the answer is something doable *fingers crossed*

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Bought and streamed 3~ hours of this today, but I might just wait a few months and see how this stacks up on yuzu - I played like half of my original XBC playthrough on Dolphin, and I've been playing XBX on CEMU. It's basically a tradition for me at this point.

The first time I beat Xenoblade was emulated with the HD fan patch on my Pal import copy lol.

Dec 13, 2017
Fucking radical!

Both Retroarch and RPCS3 are on Patreon. RPCS3 had to deal with Atlus at one point, but nothing came of it past them not using screenshots of Persona 5 in their description.
Damn, that's crazy. I'm surprised the others weren't pressured to close and more surprised only one company got upset. I figured every company for any reason would go after these guys.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my last playthrough of XBC was on Dolphin with the HD patch and I waaaaay preferred the look of that.

I bought the Definitive Edition mostly because I want to support good Xenoblade games, but I'll probably just go through Future Connected and bounce since the look of it on my TV is irritating.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Damn, that's crazy. I'm surprised the others weren't pressured to close and more surprised only one company got upset. I figured every company for any reason would go after these guys.
They have no legal grounds to fight because the emulator devs are literally reverse engineering. They don't use anything from the original hardware and software, they're developing a virtually new system from scratch. As long as they don't promote piracy and there's a legit way to dump your game to play the emulator, they'll always be in the clear.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
After the BLEEM ruling decades ago, Emulators are, for the most part, a losing battle for companies to fight.

Dec 13, 2017
They have no legal grounds to fight because the emulator devs are literally reverse engineering. They don't use anything from the original hardware and software, they're developing a virtually new system from scratch. As long as they don't promote piracy and there's a legit way to dump your game to play the emulator, they'll always be in the clear.
Oh yeah, well aware, but figured they would try something anyway since it looks really bad for their team of high-priced lawyers to stand around and do nothing while a group of people on the internet profit from reverse engineering their hardware.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As long as emulation is not as convenient as getting the actual system companies have very little reason to go after them.

For example enthusiasts keep talking about how good and easy it is to get a raspberry pi to emulate older games, but most consumers just bought a NES/SNES classic anyway, because it's just more convenient and it looks nice.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Given the size of my backlog it's honestly tempting to wait a year to play the game on emulator when it become good enough. Most of my history with the licence has been on emulator, I played my first run of the original entirely on dolphin ( 1080p + 3dvision ), and did half of my xenoblade X run on Cemu ( dumping my Wii U save with Saviine ).
The low IQ of XC2 didn't stop me from loving the game, but when you got used to playing xenoblade X at 1440p and saw how much a good IQ benefited that game, you can only play XC2 thinking that the game would look sooooo much better with a better IQ. That's actually why I didn't do a new game+ or the end game of XC2, at the time I already felt like keeping that for a future run on emulator.
If you call that running..

Btw it is tested in a 2200 usd dollars pc and in native resolution.
I'm still waiting for Armored Core 4 / For Answer to run that well on a ps3 ( 2006.... ) emulator/rpcs3... By most standard, a game running this well day 1 on the emulator of a three years old console is nothing short of amazing imho.

Last edited:

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
I mean the game came just out. That will be different in a month or two.
Yeah..running.
Practically at day zero...can you image it in one or two month ?

Just like xeno 2 that uses the same engine(it still runs bad), I expect better performance for all games in general. But yuzu developers said months ago that xeno engine is complicated because it use all switch hardware secrets. And also I do no expect better performance for not high end pcs that soon. But there is another video running better but if you look carefull you can see is only one area and the video is cut to hide the visual bugs.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
See, I wouldn't need emulators if these companies just made available a premium system that allows 4K60. Nintendo get $, I gets to play my game how I want it asap. Life would be easier for everyone.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
Great news, it means that one day we might be able to have the definitive definitive experience!

4K!
60 FPS!
Ray Tracing!
VR!
etc

Mar 27, 2018
Fucking radical!

Emulators on the Google Play store get around this by using screenshots exclusively from homebrew. Drastic and Citra have screenshots of Doom ports and Minecraft clones, instead of commercial titles

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Many big emulator crews are on Patreon. Cemu led the way with incredible increase of patron support when they started working on getting BOTW up and running. The game is running incredibly well today on PC.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, didn't even realize a Switch emulator has been out for a year and a half now. At this rate, they will likely have it running well enough that it will be just as good as the upgraded Switch when that finally releases in a year or two. As someone who would only be playing in docked mode anyway, I might not even need to buy one, and I'll just use a friend's to dump the roms.

XBC DE was one of the games I was really looking forward to buying a Switch for, but after the news about the resolution...forget it. I already have the original game, and I've already played it at 1080p/60 with updated textures back in 2013.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Jesus, didn't even realize a Switch emulator has been out for a year and a half now. At this rate, they will likely have it running well enough that it will be just as good as the upgraded Switch when that finally releases in a year or two. As someone who would only be playing in docked mode anyway, I might not even need to buy one, and I'll just use a friend's to dump the roms.

XBC DE was one of the games I was really looking forward to buying a Switch for, but after the news about the resolution...forget it. I already have the original game, and I've already played it at 1080p/60 with updated textures back in 2013.
Some games are already running and/or looking better than on Switch.

krat0zs

Jan 18, 2020
UK
Great, give people another way to pirate recently released games that developers worked themselves to the bone on...

And yes I know a lot of people here will buy the game legally then play it on here, but there's even more people that will just download it for free and steal the game

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Great, give people another way to pirate recently released games that developers worked themselves to the bone on...

And yes I know a lot of people here will buy the game legally then play it on here, but there's even more people that will just download it for free and steal the game
I agree, the downsides outweigh any positives hugely.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
But you will free of buying an almost ten times cheaper hardware! The 12 million people who bought animal crossing in a week won't resist! Nintendo's hardware is done!

The Yuzu recommended specs are an 8th gen core i5 CPU and a GTX 1060 with 16GB RAM. You can build a PC with those specs for $800.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Some games are already running and/or looking better than on Switch.

Looking better is a questionable affirmation. The internal upscaling still doesn't work and graphics packs usually can only go as far as disabling dynamic resolution scaling. Add shaders constantly caching and causing stutters and nah, real hardware is still by far the best option.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Looking better is a questionable affirmation. The internal upscaling still doesn't work and graphics packs usually can only go as far as disabling dynamic resolution scaling. Add shaders constantly caching and causing stutters and nah, real hardware is still by far the best option.
I haven't actually tried most of those games, but from what I understand there are mods that disables dynamic resolution scaling (most Switch games have this), which makes them run at a consistent maximum resolution. Also, shaders caching only happens at the start of the game and it won't bother you 99% of the time. There are also ready to use shaders so you don't have to cache anymore.