• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The PC gaming era is active and the only one I regularly pop up at. Shout out to Stop It

The only disappointing thing is people not on voice chat as I'm an adult and like to talk to other like minded folk.
Hey, don't thank me, thank the one person with a Steam account older than me and with far more staying power in the scene ColdSun heh.

I find keeping up with specific interest groups is easier on Discord Than the forum but obviously trying to keep up with every community would be impossible.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say probably every major game released has an Era discord server, particularly if it's multiplayer in any way. Then other servers for different communities, too. Of course also non-Era servers like twitch streamer servers and such. Discord is pretty big nowadays, I love using it.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Discord. It's one of the worst applications I've ever used. It's really hard to figure out.
This is weird to me. It's super basic in concept and has a really clean layout. I guess the only unintuitive thing for newbies is switching from channels to private messages, maybe.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Era was born from discords, during the mass migrations everyone retreated to discord groups to find out what was gonna happen next. I was a active member of the k-on OT, the anime OT, super best friends OT, Nintendo general group of comrades and the toonami OT. So I managed to be in all those groups on discord and also somehow in fire emblem era lol

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
This must be where the "communities" are that I see people getting up in arms about sometimes. If there are any threads here about "drama" or crazy things going down, I always feel out of the loop. My reaction is usually "What are these people talking about? I've not seen any of this here???"

Maybe this is why?

You have a Clemson avatar and are not in CFB Era Discord. Shame.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
AsianERA has a Discord, and yeah we're way more active there. Just easier to build a community with real time interactions.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in two ERA Discords, but I prefer talking about stuff here.

It's easier to catch up and follow topics on a forum imo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
What community threads are slow for you? A lot of community threads are active. Some of them are in the main forums and not just Hangouts. PcEra has both an active Discord and thread. There is also the MafiaEra one.

Pretty much every multiplayer game has an Era discord as well.
Yeah, main forum OTs tend to be pretty busy.
When thinking about slow OT with possibly louder discords, my mind goes to places like AusERA and AutismERA.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Discord groups always blow my mind when I enter a new one, weird like a community tucked away that is a world all on its own, little in jokes and member who clearly lead the conversations and have been there for awhile, I prefer small ones where you can track all the comments and feel more close.

Kinda weird how people are seemingly proud to not know what Discord is, when all it is is a chat program that is incredibly useful and straightforward.

It's replaced forums and all social media for me. I chat with my brothers and friends pretty much exclusively through it. Only people like other family or high school buddies are the ones I don't communicate with through Discord. Even my 58 year old mother is on it, lul.

Think its a generation thing or hell a divide between older and younger millennials, with Gen Z obvious embracing the hell out of it of course others are on it like your mum not to completely generalise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Today I learnt that the NintendoEra discord passes around a screenshot of my reaction to the SwSh Reviews.

I'm always getting closer to being Era Famous, even when I'm not trying.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This is weird to me. It's super basic in concept and has a really clean layout. I guess the only unintuitive thing for newbies is switching from channels to private messages, maybe.

Ya as voice comm apps go it's extremely simple and intuitive. The fact you don't even have to download a client and can just use the webapp makes it even more fool proof.

Been using chat/voice apps since BBS/irc days, and discord is easily the most feature filled + easy to use application yet.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
the Era film discord is best server don't @ me

hltUwg9.gif

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I always see the word "discord link" thrown around in various corners of the internet. While I do have an account, It was only ever used for communicating with friends, and even then, I almost ever used it. These mystical discords that I hear others refer to, about how they talked in them, I found my mind just glaze over as I read, because I didn't really "get it". Payed it no mind, probably just small groups of friends who use Era. Why should I, I'm not close friends with anyone.

Except I found myself wandering into the Animal Crossing discord yesterday, and it was like a light bulb turning on in my head.
It was pretty huge and involved, if not very active when I am active, due to timezones.
A bit of searching later, and apparently a lot of OTs have their own discord.

Is this all like some secret underside of Era?
Is there where y'all hide from me?

Its the best thing about the forum. The mini communities that spin outside of the forum onto their own discords and friends lists etc make this whole place worth it. I have my MAJOR problems with the site; but I stick around literally because of the fact that its a bit of a hub for stuff like that.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a couple of discords. They are nice when you just want to have a talk with people who you have built a rapport or with but I still like posting here.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
for the folks who are asking if there's a ______ discord, you can usually poke your head in any of the community threads and ask, people are generally very friendly about it.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think I joined like 8 or so, but last time I was viewing them (like 10+ months ago), they were mostly a ghost town.

I find era to be better because it's usually more active. You get more people posting than just a certain demographic

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Discord is good but I've always preferred the regular old forums. I wish forums had won the battle against reddit and discord.

Just think about all of the times someone has had some random pc issue in the last 10 years and how you always find the answer on some derelict forum post lol chat rooms just don't allow for that most of the time

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't suppose there's a list or anything of all the Era discords out there? Or at least a top recommended list?

The recent FFVII demo really makes me want to chat in a (non-toxic) FF discord. There is an active one I'm aware of, but the membership is small and from what I gathered isn't associated with Era anymore.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many of you allegedly old people who don't understand Discord are too young to have wasted their youth in AOL chat rooms tho.

-=teleports behind you=-
-=breaks neck=-

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I've found that Discord works best for small, insular groups more than anything. Way back in the 20th Century, I used to be on a forum where the members also had a chat program that we used, but there were only like 20 of us total. It's where we could talk in "private" without our posts being seen by others with malicious intent on the forum.

Every time I've used Discord, I've found it to have a similar vibe. It's usually about 15-20 people who form the core in-group with their own in-jokes and who're familiar enough with each other that they like to chat in "private." Nothing wrong with that at all, it's a great way to communicate with a small group of friends.

If I were to use it now, it would only be with people I know where something like WhatsApp wouldn't be appropriate for some reason.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I only know about Discord being an app in which you get ignored by Destiny 2 players if you don't have an specific loadout for activities.

But yeah, seems very popular, still can't get my head around how it is any different from a regular chatroom.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Realtime chat is a time sink. It never stops updating. There are always things to reply to. If you don't have an always-online life, you just can't participate properly.
  2. Realtime chat is ephemeral. You can't take time to compose, research, edit your post. Just spew your reckons into the void. Nobody will read them tomorrow.
  3. Realtime chat is unthreaded. You liked talking about X? Too bad, the group's moved on to Y now.
  4. Realtime chat is compulsive. It plugs right into your lizard brain. Every message a little micro hit of dopamine.
  5. Realtime chat is the death of forums. I refuse to participate on principle.
/old man

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, the Smash and Pokemon Discord serves have been really not great. There's more off-topic more than anything. There are good communities out there for specific games though.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the Smash and Pokemon Discord serves have been really not great. There's more off-topic more than anything. There are good communities out there for specific games though.
Get better admins! A great admin will be able to sort things based on how the conversation and community goes so everyone gets the best experience possible.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Realtime chat is ephemeral. You can't take time to compose, research, edit your post. Just spew your reckons into the void. Nobody will read them tomorrow.

Realtime chat is unthreaded. You liked talking about X? Too bad, the group's moved on to Y now.
/old man

One can edit messages in Discord. When you logon it picks up where you left off so you can see what has been posted in your absence.

Channels largely take the place of threads.

The search functionality in Discord is very flexible and intuitive - it allows catching up on things you've missed by user or topic or whatever pretty trivial. The use of @'s or direct messages keeps the discussion engaging, even if you're answering days later.

Discord is pretty cool once you find some chill servers. You can ignore users to drown out the petty / annoying characters. It also integrates well with a bunch of other services which is nice.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Realtime chat is a time sink. It never stops updating. There are always things to reply to. If you don't have an always-online life, you just can't participate properly.
  2. Realtime chat is ephemeral. You can't take time to compose, research, edit your post. Just spew your reckons into the void. Nobody will read them tomorrow.
  3. Realtime chat is unthreaded. You liked talking about X? Too bad, the group's moved on to Y now.
  4. Realtime chat is compulsive. It plugs right into your lizard brain. Every message a little micro hit of dopamine.
/old man
I like you.

I'd add that by its nature, it becomes very insular in its discussion. (Similar to a filter bubble). I prefer forums because I don't enjoy real time chat for your reasons above, and for the ability to be exposed to differing viewpoints.

EDIT: I also strongly dislike its forced inclusion in many guilds/games nowadays. Let me be a silent observer in guild chat, don't make me sit in voice comms. Discord killed guild/team chat.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
/old man
Have you seen some of the threads on era? They're just as high entropy unfiltered knee-jerk reaction burpfests with sub-threads crisscrossing each other and seldom staying on topic as people quibble over *grammar* or *tone* when the article is about a serious subject like domestic abuse.

Forums live and die on the self-control of its participants and my friend let me tell you self-control is in extremely short supply on Era. Realtime chat isn't inherently worse than a gang of easily-provoked vessels of trifling shit in a forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.