• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mainly interested in joining the NYC Discord now that I'm working in the city, the actual NYC thread here is pretty slow

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Tried to connect to the AC discord yesterday and honestly I don't understand how this works... The interface and the functionality is totally strange and the UI makes no sense to me.

The is a bot that's assigning "roles" to people ? and you need to type line commands to access some functions ? Like what...

I'm old ok but I thought a 2020 social media App would be more user friendly than DOS was on PC 20 years ago.

Can someone explain the basic concepts to me ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Tried to connect to the AC discord yesterday and honestly I don't understand how this works... The interface and the functionality is totally strange and the UI makes no sense to me.

The is a bot that's assigning "roles" to people ? and you need to type line commands to access some functions ? Like what...

I'm old ok but I thought a 2020 social media App would be more user friendly than DOS was on PC 20 years ago.

That bot can assign pronouns to you if you ask it nicely.

Anyway, I have made my presence known in the Nintendo Era Discord.
Another step to becoming Era famous.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

You can ignore roles. (They're there for moderation etc)

You can ignore the bots. (Or put your friend code in and look up other members' friend codes)

Just type in the box that says Message [channel name] and see who talks back to you. Change channels by clicking their names on the left, if the names don't clearly specify what topic they are for, well then they could stand to be renamed.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
On the newest version of discord for iOS you click a message and when the options pop up if you scroll down it will have a "mark as unread" option. Clicking this means that's where you'll start the next time you enter the chat assuming you don't read for too long after doing so.

There may have been a way to do it on older versions but I wasn't aware of it. Back then I'd just ignore older messages because scrolling up for ages was a pain.

Oh, sweet! Thanks!! Yeah, I thought the whole "always be at the newest message" thing was just the way it was so I'd be constantly behind on context in whatever was being discussed

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
You can ignore roles. (They're there for moderation etc)

You can ignore the bots. (Or put your friend code in and look up other members' friend codes)

Just type in the box that says Message [channel name] and see who talks back to you. Change channels by clicking their names on the left, if the names don't clearly specify what topic they are for, well then they could stand to be renamed.
ok thanks - i'll try again then, haha. I've presented myself in the chat but not sure it got noticed. I see the topics now but there is a lock icon on most of them - i'll try to chat when I have time.

I bought the AC switch special edition, so I'll have a new friend code on the 20th march.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
ok thanks - i'll try again then, haha. I've presented myself in the chat but not sure it got noticed. I see the topics now but there is a lock icon on most of them - i'll try to chat when I have time.

I bought the AC switch special edition, so I'll have a new friend code on the 20th march.
The lock icon just means the channel isn't open to the general public, you don't have to pay attention to the background settings. It doesn't mean you can't post in them. <3 Clearly though, you got noticed, or you wouldn't see them at all.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I still barely understand what Discord even is (and don't really care).
Basically the go-to voice/chat app for PC. Super convenient since it's free, has pretty solid multi-media support, you can make your own servers and make however many voice/text channels as you want, you can control user rights, and can be user configured with bots to do a lot of handy things.

It was pretty revelatory in, for example, MMO circles. We used to have to pay for voice servers before for clan/guild/etc stuff, whereas now you can wind up a free discord server in a few seconds.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
best part about discord is when i see screens of users from here going full blown console warrior on discord then thinking they slick concern trolling with "reasonable posts" in threads they obviously have no interest in. delicious stuff, really.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I lost interest in it

A lot of the conversation seems pointless jabber and a waste of time to engage

I just want to read up about games, movies, anime and technology

Reading a forum and seeing news headlines / announcements does enough for me just fine

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
The lock icon just means the channel isn't open to the general public, you don't have to pay attention to the background settings. It doesn't mean you can't post in them. <3 Clearly though, you got noticed, or you wouldn't see them at all.
Thanks for the pointers ! My internet is broken right now, I have trouble even loading the chats in 4G. When it comes back i'll join some discussions.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I always see the word "discord link" thrown around in various corners of the internet. While I do have an account, It was only ever used for communicating with friends, and even then, I almost ever used it. These mystical discords that I hear others refer to, about how they talked in them, I found my mind just glaze over as I read, because I didn't really "get it". Payed it no mind, probably just small groups of friends who use Era. Why should I, I'm not close friends with anyone.

Except I found myself wandering into the Animal Crossing discord yesterday, and it was like a light bulb turning on in my head.
It was pretty huge and involved, if not very active when I am active, due to timezones.
A bit of searching later, and apparently a lot of OTs have their own discord.

Is this all like some secret underside of Era?
Is there where y'all hide from me?
Join the datingEra discord (PM the admin Subpar Scrub, Salamando , Addie , and follow instructions in OP). Just say "I would like to join the Discord", make sure your Discord name is same as your username here. It might benefit you. FilmEra Discord is rad, too!

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I always see the word "discord link" thrown around in various corners of the internet. While I do have an account, It was only ever used for communicating with friends, and even then, I almost ever used it. These mystical discords that I hear others refer to, about how they talked in them, I found my mind just glaze over as I read, because I didn't really "get it". Payed it no mind, probably just small groups of friends who use Era. Why should I, I'm not close friends with anyone.

Except I found myself wandering into the Animal Crossing discord yesterday, and it was like a light bulb turning on in my head.
It was pretty huge and involved, if not very active when I am active, due to timezones.
A bit of searching later, and apparently a lot of OTs have their own discord.

Is this all like some secret underside of Era?
Is there where y'all hide from me?

This must be where the "communities" are that I see people getting up in arms about sometimes. If there are any threads here about "drama" or crazy things going down, I always feel out of the loop. My reaction is usually "What are these people talking about? I've not seen any of this here???"

Maybe this is why?

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I actually get annoyed when ERA OT communities largely migrate over to Discord. I get the advantages but then the worst comes out in people and sometimes the moderation is absolute garbage (on the Gaming side at least).

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The PC gaming era is active and the only one I regularly pop up at. Shout out to Stop It

The only disappointing thing is people not on voice chat as I'm an adult and like to talk to other like minded folk.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I find all the clique-ey stuff, which off-shoot Discord servers tend to be, to be really insufferable. I hate cliques.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I need to join a group or two. I was asked but didn't get discord (agree with the poster that it's marketed confusingly since it's basically a dedicated chat) then made one, and am in the Dreams Era server, need to get back to the original people and get involved.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It would be nice to receive invites to any active ERA Discord servers devoted to arts cinema, or perhaps ReGals, just sayin'. However, it's not in my personality to press my interest on groups which might not welcome me, so I'm still on just the one server.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I signed up for Discord and found the whole thing to be extremely confusing. I guess I'm getting old? But I've also never used IRC, so maybe I'm not old enough?

Last edited:

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So is it just IRC with voice? I use discord to talk to friend while PC gaming (which isn't often) and didnt even know there was a text based area with channels, etc. If I'm in a server (channel, room?) typing away can I also speak to people in the same server?

Oct 27, 2017
I've found the ERA game-specific discords seem to drop off after couple weeks even if game is rather large. I usually revert to using the "official" game discords or ones from bigger communities. The general ERA community discords are pretty good imo.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The best ones are the super exclusive ones. Strictly anonymous. We go by numbers instead of names. Excommunication occurs if you mention the name of the server or subjects talked about. They're very stuck up.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know how people find good discords. It seems like I'm an old man and out of touch. I'd like some good stock trading discord. Is there any type of search engine people use? What are your methods for finding the best communities?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
For the longest time I never understood Discord, because it was treated like this revelation and I didn't understand what it actually revolutionized, but it really isn't anymore than chat rooms or IRC. Weird how Discord was treated as this brand-new thing when the concept really is as old as the hills. I see the same thing happening with almost everything though so I guess it's no surprise.
I still pine over those mIRC days.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
Hi, if anyone wants to recruit, I'm looking to join a community or two... open to anything but I have the usual suspect hobbies, music, movies, games, comics. I've tried searching the forums for servers to join but nobody really posts links publicly.

Iris

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't know how people find good discords. It seems like I'm an old man and out of touch. I'd like some good stock trading discord. Is there any type of search engine people use? What are your methods for finding the best communities?
disboard.org but resetera servers don't seem to have their links posted in public.

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So...
I'm gonna stick around the AC one so I have a community to play NH with.
But is there any reason for me to want to enter other ones?
I tend to not hang around OTs in Hangouts, as they all tend to be quite slow, and I'm not sure a lot of discord groups would be a lot better. Are there any OTs with a super active discord but a dead Era thread? What are the best ones?

...Are there any super secret discords with no thread?
What community threads are slow for you? A lot of community threads are active. Some of them are in the main forums and not just Hangouts. PcEra has both an active Discord and thread. There is also the MafiaEra one.

Pretty much every multiplayer game has an Era discord as well.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, if anyone wants to recruit, I'm looking to join a community or two... open to anything but I have the usual suspect hobbies, music, movies, games, comics. I've tried searching the forums for servers to join but nobody really posts links publicly.

The film-era discord was posted in this thread

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
What are some great Era Discords in general?

Plus aren't gaming messageboards/forums like this considered social media?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What people here don't know is that the SW Era Discord is where the Illuminati of Era is held. That's how we get away with so many Star Wars threads.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Good.

We don't need anyone who isn't going to appreciate the sanctity of memes.

tn3jzxl.gif

Did I do good? White guy turning is the one people loved so much, right? Can I join your club now?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Currently part of 9 ERA community related Discord servers. I enjoy taking part in them as much as my time allows it.
But Discord could never replace the forum, and same for the opposite. I think they're complementary and love using both.

Status
Not open for further replies.