• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm part of four ;)

Discord groups are really only affiliated by name any not monitored by the Era mods. So it's not really in Era's best interest to support them all that much. I'd only join the ones you have an interest in. Even then it's iffy, because some of them are pretty small.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Kinda weird how people are seemingly proud to not know what Discord is, when all it is is a chat program that is incredibly useful and straightforward.

It's replaced forums and all social media for me. I chat with my brothers and friends pretty much exclusively through it. Only people like other family or high school buddies are the ones I don't communicate with through Discord. Even my 58 year old mother is on it, lul.

It hasn't replaced forums for you completely. You're posting this on a forum.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I really hate Discord. It's one of the worst applications I've ever used. It's really hard to figure out.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...
I'm gonna stick around the AC one so I have a community to play NH with.
But is there any reason for me to want to enter other ones?
I tend to not hang around OTs in Hangouts, as they all tend to be quite slow, and I'm not sure a lot of discord groups would be a lot better. Are there any OTs with a super active discord but a dead Era thread? What are the best ones?

...Are there any super secret discords with no thread?

Well, there's the Solar Puffin Fan Club Discord.

May 25, 2019
London
Discord was essential in migrating people from the old place to this one in fairly short order. It's also a great way to get to know people better than just forum posts. Because the communities tend to be driven by mutual interest, there's also less contention than you'll get in some threads here or on any forum.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's awesome to find a channel with the same interests as you and it keeps out all the needless bickering.

Oct 27, 2017
I still barely understand what Discord even is (and don't really care).

Yup. Seems like IRC from the old days which I also missed. Era discord seemed weird to me, like, why not talk about it on the forum, rather than creating a new a smaller forum to talk about it. But I'm sure there are reasons. Guess I'm just not "in" any of the sub communities enough to see the appeal.

Maybe I should seek out a era rocket league discord, but is there even a point if I dont want to use voice chat? Feel like I'd have to turn off surround sound/use headphones which doesnt sound appealing.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
This sums it up for me and the reason why I ended up only using the LFG channels on the only ERA discord I've been on and ignoring the other channels on it.
That sounds pretty reasonable. Got to admit I have not even used that, though it sounds like a good way to find a nice group to play with

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I never understood Discord, because it was treated like this revelation and I didn't understand what it actually revolutionized, but it really isn't anymore than chat rooms or IRC. Weird how Discord was treated as this brand-new thing when the concept really is as old as the hills. I see the same thing happening with almost everything though so I guess it's no surprise.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of Era discords are dead. The smaller ones with, like, 10 people tend to be more about gossiping and saying things you'd be banned for on here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I feel like traditional forums are suffering from the influence of the way people are used to communicate on Reddit, Twitter, and other social media platforms. If a question is asked on resetera, the first 20 replies are mostly the same answer. I used to moderate a forum and I always deleted those double-y answers, it doesn't add anything to the convo. It makes a forum look cluttered and it leaves less room for discussion.
This is why I wish the forum supported a feature that showed you if a post had been quoted already and either links to or previews of those replies.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in our friend group's discord and my WoW guild's discord. Our friend discord might be one of the older ones because we started using it really early on. Before that we would have a few TeamSpeak or Ventrilo servers to haunt. I also remember people used Skype. I never understood those people, it was straight up awful. Discord is superior in every way to what came before. Getting new people who didn't really understand PC gaming onto the TeamSpeak or Vent was a real challenge in my experience. Now we just pass a link.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
The Era discords I'm in are active enough and quite frankly I prefer talking on there and LINE than I do on forums in general.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have to say I don't "get" discord over forums. It's essentially a single forum thread (unless you go through the trouble of setting up different sections) so the focus of the discussion is always generalised and the pace of discussion means it moves too fast to have any decent analysis or focus on a specific issue. Its live chat nature makes it much more spammy.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
No quoting completely kills discord for me. Plus the iOS app loads so slowly despite my other stuff like messenger doing fine

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Except I found myself wandering into the Animal Crossing discord yesterday, and it was like a light bulb turning on in my head.
It was pretty huge and involved, if not very active when I am active, due to timezones.
Sure, it's huge THIS month.
A year ago it was one person playing Pocket Camp, and 3 old friends insulting each other randomly.

Servers are extremely topical, and a new game in the series is releasing, so. Now it's filling up.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
If it kept the more toxic, insular elements off the board it'd be nice, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Nope. If anything it seems to be the behind-the-curtain place where they huddle up.

I always got the impression that this place is kind of run in the background by certain Discord(s).

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Nope. If anything it seems to be the behind-the-curtain place where they huddle up.

I always got the impression that this place is kind of run in the background by certain Discord(s).
I mean, the mods and admins literally have a discord where they discuss stuff so, like, yeah the board is run by discords.
That's just common sense.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, but iOS unfortunately
On the newest version of discord for iOS you click a message and when the options pop up if you scroll down it will have a "mark as unread" option. Clicking this means that's where you'll start the next time you enter the chat assuming you don't read for too long after doing so.

There may have been a way to do it on older versions but I wasn't aware of it. Back then I'd just ignore older messages because scrolling up for ages was a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.