• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Winning a scrub league that had no entry requirements is hardly the accomplishment that should earn Ash a retirement. A far cry from being the very best like no one ever was, hell he's probably about to lose to Kukui too

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And was worse for it, I love going back to those episodes, even the shittier arcs. Like 5 minutes into any of the sequels and it's a big ole NOPE
OG Yugioh is overrated. 5Ds dark signer arc is better than anything OG ever produced by a decent margin, and plenty of the other series have better arcs too. Plus even if we discount battle kingdom rules that are just pure bullshit, none of the "strategies" in OG Yugioh are really impressive or cool compared to later series where they had a better grasp of the actual card game

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG Yugioh is overrated. 5Ds dark signer arc is better than anything OG ever produced by a decent margin, and plenty of the other series have better arcs too. Plus even if we discount battle kingdom rules that are just pure bullshit, none of the "strategies" in OG Yugioh are really impressive or cool compared to later series where they had a better grasp of the actual card game

I wouldn't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the plot structure and storytelling was better. But no YGO cast of characters will ever be as charming or likable as the OG crew

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is there to be gained by replacing Ash anyway? The kid is pretty much a blank slate that they can do anything with.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Ash is the face of Pokemon (anime). Why would they get rid of the lead that has been around so long with such great success?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people bringing up them or their friends being tired of Ash's journey when the show is targeted at kids who know little to nothing about that.

Some animes do ditch the main character.

Like Naruto, where he was replaced with someone who was destined to be ninja jesus from birth.
So they replaced Naruto with someone like himself?
One thing interesting is they're specifically mentioning Ash is "Pokemon battling" while Go is "Pokemon catching"...

Also it mentions Ash had an "encounter in the past" that led him to wanting to be the best battler which sounds kind of odd because I can't think of any former impetus we've seen. He's always wanted to be the best battler more or less, but there was never an inciting incident specifically...unless it's just talking about seeing Ho-Oh.
I'm pretty sure that's referring to Ho-Oh
I strongly disagree with this, but eh.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously to the producers, animators, writers, everyone who's funding it, and the audience, it's not a big deal.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i mean duh? alola wasn't a real league anyway, more like a amateur competition for fun.
it's like retiring from competition after winning your high schools basketball tournament.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's always gonna be a few die-hards who'll stick with a series until the bitter end, and both XY and SM seemed to get enough buzz around them to draw back some lapsed fans, but beyond them I don't really think there's that many long-time viewers.

That's because that isn't the goal and never was. They don't care about the older audience and are rightfully more interested in capturing the imagination of literally every generation of kids and their parents' wallets.

There is no bitter end. Just happy new adventures tailored for each new generation.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's because that isn't the goal and never was. They don't care about the older audience and are rightfully more interested in capturing the imagination of literally every generation of kids and their parents' wallets.

There is no bitter end. Just happy new adventures tailored for each new generation.
Yeah, that's kinda my point. Which, y'know, is also why it's so stupid that they've kept Ash around for so long when they could do a lot more to uniquely tailor those adventures if they went for a new protag each gen instead of keeping Ash's prolonged journey of failure going and creating generation after generation of bitter fucks.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
What the hell are you talking about? Ash is the Pokémon anime character. Thats like dumping Goku from dragon ball.
1- The whole point of the Cell Saga was to dump Goku and move Gohan up to lead status. The artist decided to go back on that idea later though.

2- I think the point of this thread is that if this is just business as usual for Ash then why TF have they not allowed him to win til now? They set it up so that he would never be good enough to win a league and always have to start from the bottom as a no-name in a new land cause he's a fucking loser and no one remembers number 2 or 3 or 8 or w/e. Winning should be the end of this underdog status and elevate him to the big boys table, have a new protag in a time set years later who looks up to him and also wants to be the very best. They would be different but also have that same spark of kindness and creativity that makes you think that maybe, just maybe this kid has it in them.

But this is Pokemon anime so fuck progression it I guess.
They've never really had a co-protagonist
They did, back when Pokemon contest were a thing. With May is started off kinda shaky but Pokemon contest would become the focus of like half the damn series with fully fleshed out stories and arcs and rivals for the female lead, even bringing in Team Rocket's Jessie ... until GF stopped making it a thing I guess and the series brang in Iris.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They literally set up the elite 4 and champion end game after winning the league back in the gen 4 anime, they had a way to continue the storyline even after ash won the league, not to mention even without that the league stopped being the olympics of the world of pokemon and more of a regional tournament you can win, hence Ash wouldn't be a Master with just one league win.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that's kinda my point. Which, y'know, is also why it's so stupid that they've kept Ash around for so long when they could do a lot more to uniquely tailor those adventures if they went for a new protag each gen instead of keeping Ash's prolonged journey of failure going and creating generation after generation of bitter fucks.

That is one way of thinking. The other is to not rock the boat and keep the branding/merchandise the same so
that all the various generations still have points that they all resonate with. The people who actually get bitter over minor narrative points
in one of the most consistent and beautifully produced anime series to ever grace the industry should be locked in a room and forced to watch the recent Berserk and Saint Seiya CG anime series non stop until they realize just how good they have it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean..... why?
He finally won a Pokemon League.

You finally had the perfect excuse to move on from Ash and do a new main character.... but they didn't take it. Why?
Winning a league doesn't mean becoming a Pokémon Master. The anime established this 10 years ago.

People seem to forget this and complain that the anime hasn't changed to suit their desires. It's really curious
They literally set up the elite 4 and champion end game after winning the league back in the gen 4 anime, they had a way to continue the storyline even after ash won the league, not to mention even without that the league stopped being the olympics of the world of pokemon and more of a regional tournament you can win, hence Ash wouldn't be a Master with just one league win.
Ash even said that beating the league, getting to the Champion League and winning that to become a Champion Master is just "a step on the way to becomnig a Pokémon Master"

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
People seem to forget this and complain that the anime hasn't changed to suit their desires. It's really curious

Yeah, I could understand if they are just stating their own reasons for losing interest in the series or whatever, but it usually seems to come from the angle of someone thinking that TPC is missing out on some potential audience or something.

I feel like if you are second-guessing the decisions behind a multi-billion dollar IP that has never shown any real signs of floundering after decades in the spotlight, you should really step back and ask yourself if you have the design/business/marketing/whatever acumen to actually make those kinds of statements!

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like if you are second-guessing the decisions behind a multi-billion dollar IP that has never shown any real signs of floundering after decades in the spotlight, you should really step back and ask yourself if you have the design/business/marketing/whatever acumen to actually make those kinds of statements!

TPC is quite possibly the GOAT at keeping an IP relevant but every arm chair analyst thinks they know better.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand people bringing up them or their friends being tired of Ash's journey when the show is targeted at kids who know little to nothing about that.
If the show is targeted at kids who don't know nor care about Ash being *the* protagonist then there's also no harm in ditching him

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Lol nah he wanna be the very best that no one ever was, not just become Alola champion. Gotta win em all. :p

Last edited:

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If the show is targeted at kids who don't know nor care about Ash being *the* protagonist then there's also no harm in ditching him

The only people who would believe that are arm chair analysts who have no actual experience in marketing or branding. They have also probably not thought critically about why Tony Stark is still Iron Man, Peter Parker is still Spider-Man etc.

Ditching a main character like that creates a rift immediately that weakens the entire image they are selling. While the older fans are definitely not a focus for the IP, it absolutely is a plus to still have the same characters so that on some level the father buying their son a new pokemon lunchbox can resonate with them and possibly be even more generous!

And thats not even getting into the idea that Satoshi/Ash comes as a package with Pikachu, easily a top 5 iconic character in the world. Would you also ditch Pikachi? Would you bring a new character but just have him use a pikachu as well? Then what is the point?

If you think dropping Pikachu from the franchise would be a good idea...then I don't even know where to start. Heh

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand this.

we're sold the line that Red is different because he cares about his Pokémon, but none of his Pokémon are allowed to do anything except Charizard. His focus on filling the Pokédex runs contrary to this as well; it's there to tie in with the game but it reduces him to collecting Pokemon as commodities in defiance of his stated character traits. This young man who supposedly loves and is concerned for Pokémon is seen preparing to bean a Chandra with a rock, because they gotta get that nostalgic game moment in and off our checklist, even if it undermines our hero's characterization. On top of that, EVERY single match in the whole mini series is structured the same way, with Red being brought down to his ace, who loses most of his HP, only to come from behind at the last moment!!! every. Single. Time.

Origins is more concerned with going "member Red and Blue" and reminding people of how they played the game 20 years ago than giving it consistent characterization or heart. It's not even terrible, it's just relentlessly mediocre. A well dressed effort with nice production values and zero substance.

We're sold that when?
Red is a pokèmon trainer, not a pokèmon hugger like Ash. That's the entire point of Origins, i reckon.

That's why moments of affection shine: Because they're rare.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The only people who would believe that are arm chair analysts who have no actual experience in marketing or branding. They have also probably not thought critically about why Tony Stark is still Iron Man, Peter Parker is still Spider-Man etc.

Ditching a main character like that creates a rift immediately that weakens the entire image they are selling. While the older fans are definitely not a focus for the IP, it absolutely is a plus to still have the same characters so that on some level the father buying their son a new pokemon lunchbox can resonate with them and possibly be even more generous!

And thats not even getting into the idea that Satoshi/Ash comes as a package with Pikachu, easily a top 5 iconic character in the world. Would you also ditch Pikachi? Would you bring a new character but just have him use a pikachu as well? Then what is the point?

If you think dropping Pikachu from the franchise would be a good idea...then I don't even know where to start. Heh
But Wishiwashi could be an equally good mascot for the franchise

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Boomer nostalgia demands a return to Kanto. But I guess the series is still popular with children to cash in on 30 year olds.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they replaced Ash before this point, no one would have cared who won the Alola League, meaning that the publicity that comes from news headlines from around the world would be completely negated.

The boost to the series that comes from Ash having a history with his Pokémon and his achievements far outweighs the benefits of dropping everything and getting a new protagonist every few years.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dropping Ash isn't really the problem, dropping Pikachu is the problem.

Can't have one without the other.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Lame. Do new things.
They are doing new things. They're not focusing on one region this generation and are hitting every region. This follows on from them doing new things of having Ash not travel around a region constantly but rather have a home base at a Pokémon School in Alola

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
We're sold that when?
Red is a pokèmon trainer, not a pokèmon hugger like Ash. That's the entire point of Origins, i reckon.

That's why moments of affection shine: Because they're rare.

that's not how people interact with one anotherbut sure

but as I explained above, this was established in the first episode and is a key part of what supposedly makes him different from Blue.

catching a bunch of monsters just to more or less leave them on a shelf doesn't really work outside of a game conceit; especially not for a character that's supposedly supposed to be empathetic.