• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't fathom how they were able to make the Switch version look better than the one on PS4

Dec 6, 2017
US
While I don't actually like the game itself, it looks incredible on PC with some basic text modding and runs great.

The character models kind of give away its age but beyond that, to me it looks impressive even in 2020.

In general, this game has ridiculously cool aesthetics and I wish I would've been able to get into it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age 3 and Battlefield 4 are cross-gen as well. That means nothing. The last-gen versions are often shitty.

Alien isn't a very demanding game as far as I know. It also runs very good on the Switch. Probably because it plays mostly in cramped surroundings?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's incredibly cruel fate that CA hasn't made another non strategy game since Isolation, it's a big surprise that they made such a good looking FPS first try & it runs like a dream.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever fix the input lag on Switch?

the devs opted for no screen tearing/smooth frame rate over a 'small input delay' (their words) from triple buffering.

There is a small input delay in both docked and handheld mode. This is partly due to the use of triple buffering, which was implemented to avoid screen tearing. Triple buffering is a technique used in many games, including Alien Isolation, and is a popular solution to screen tearing. As most players notice screen tearing more than a very slight delay on inputs, a decision to use triple buffering was made.
All decisions made in game development are a trade-off, and we believe the smooth input and frame rate make a bigger difference to the majority of players than a slightly higher input latency.
We have seen a handful of comments from users who like yourself are more sensitive to input latency, but the overwhelming majority have praised the smooth framerate and input stability that was delivered, in part by using triple buffering.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Wonderful game and frightening to the last, but in truth I was glad to be done with it. By the game's half, I just wanted the experience to be over. There's such a thing as terror overstaying its welcome, even among horror fans.

Oct 29, 2017
Current gen hardware wasn't as big of a jump as people were lead on to believe. Certainly nothing like previous hardware leaps.

You could port basically any current generation game to the previous generation with reletively minor downgrades. The same couldn't really be said of previous generations.

Alien Isolation was joined by many other "miracle ports" that performed similarily, like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall and Metal Gear Solid 5.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It ran like absolute dogshit on last generation platforms but the visuals were truly insane. I've completed it on every available platform aside from Switch and you'd be shocked how comparable the Xbox 360 version is to the Xbox One and PS4 versions.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
None of these cross gen games looked as good as AL, except for maybe ROTTR.
In fairness, games like Titanfall, Shadow of Mordor, and Tomb Raider have more going on in any particular scene both in scale and set piece moments. The bulk of Alien Isolation takes place in tight corridors and has you sneaking around small groups of human AI and avoiding the main Alien AI that is stalking you. This isn't a knock against the game as that's what they were going for, but I don't think it's a fair comparison to the others. Nevertheless, it's obvious that Creative Assembly were able to use every resource of the old consoles to their fullest potential.