• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
They were mostly Black from what I can tell, though it may not just be specifically Black women affected by this. I can imagine that, like in the past, Asian, Latina, and poor white women could've also been sterilized. But we shall see. I do not want to detract from the issues that Black women go through so I'll say no more.

^ Twitter thread.

Anyone else know about this?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else know about this?
It sounds extremely familiar. I don't know if I've read or heard about this specific situation before or if it is something that just happens enough that it is already familiar. When I read the thread title I automatically thought it was either going to be about incarcerated people or some secret experiments. It, unfortunately, might not even be close to an isolated incident and happens all over.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
It sounds extremely familiar. I don't know if I've read or heard about this specific situation before or if it is something that just happens enough that it is already familiar. When I read the thread title I automatically thought it was either going to be about incarcerated people or some secret experiments. It, unfortunately, might not even be close to an isolated incident and happens all over.
I agree.

During the 1970s, many state governments and I think the federal government were caught sterilizing Black/Asian/Native American/Latina/poor white women/etc.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

During the 1970s, many state governments and I think the federal government were caught sterilizing Black/Asian/Native American/Latina/poor white women/etc.

The disgusting thing is it came off of the huge blow up of sterilization of Native women and then the states just decided fuck it... lets keep going.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely disgusting.

Society doesn't care about incarcerated women and even less about incarcerated women of color. The carceral state needs to be abolished.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's disgusting. I didn't know about this going on in California but it's also a serious problem in Canada that Indigenous women deal with.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Here's a film based off of this entire tragedy.

Belly of the Beast | Human Rights Watch Film Festival

Film description: When two brave women find a pattern of illegal involuntary sterilisations in California’s women’s prisons, they launch a battle against the system. With a growing team of women inside prison working with formerly incarcerated colleagues on the outside, they uncover a series of...

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I'm dumbfounded. Why is this happening and for what reason, especially when the word intentionally is used. What is the justification? How can prisons do that in the first place? And none of that is happening to men in prisons?
This is all kinds of fucked up.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The US government sterilized like 1/3 of all Puerto Rican women from 30s to 70s. They def wanted us gone

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've been thinking about this recently as my representative voted against a resolution condemning this behavior after that Georgia "doctor" was busted giving hysterectomies to women to be deported last September.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Deeply disturbing and fucked up, but not out of line with what this country has done in the past.

I'm dumbfounded. Why is this happening and for what reason, especially when the word intentionally is used. What is the justification? How can prisons do that in the first place? And none of that is happening to men in prisons?
This is all kinds of fucked up.
Racism and eugenics

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm internally furious, but ultimately not fucking surprised.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Fuck, did we Swedes inspire this shit too? Cause we had forced sterilization too a couple of decades ago. Not a pleasant chapter...

"Cheaper than welfare", what in the absolute fuck...

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
It's a call back to some resetera members that were wondering why black people are cautious US' healthcare system.
Oh yeah, there's even a book about this published in 2006 that details how the medical system disfavors people that are non-white. Honestly, people like me (who are neurodiverse) get it rough. I'm multi-ethnic so I don't know if I get the same treatment as someone that's, say, Black or indigenous, though I've certainly gotten racism in the past.

But hey, I getcha, fam. 👍

Sorry if I came off as abrasive or something.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh yeah, there's even a book about this published in 2006 that details how the medical system disfavors people that are non-white. Honestly, people like me (who are neurodiverse) get it rough. I'm multi-ethnic so I don't know if I get the same treatment as someone that's, say, Black or indigenous, though I've certainly gotten racism in the past.

But hey, I getcha, fam. 👍

Sorry if I came off as abrasive or something.

Nah, it's cool. You are right though. People are cautious of the US healthcare system for many reasons. It such a huge factor that a portion of global health grad courses focus on medical distrust due to government public/global health misteps in the past.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Nah, it's cool. You are right though. People are cautious of the US healthcare system for many reasons. It such a huge factor that a portion of global health grad courses focus on medical distrust due to government public/global health misteps in the past.
In many ways, it's a class issue, I feel, but that may be my politics mostly speaking here.

The thing is: if you have a personal physician or medical establishment you can trust that caters to you or that you can pretty much have on your beck and call then you're pretty much set. Money buys everything in this country. Even a non-white person like me could probably get by just fine if they were rich.

If you're lower-middle-class or poor? You're basically on your own.

If you're economically precarious or poor and you're Native American/Black/etc.? You've got it extra rough.

Honestly, let's not forget that many communities are segregated by rich and poor (and segregated even more racially on top of that) so others may have good access to the medical system nearby while others don't.

I guess the worst part is: even if you're upper-middle-class or "wealthy" the healthcare in this country is bullshit. My father could get better service (and has) in his native Turkey than he can in the United States (and for a cheaper price or for free on top of it). And the actual medical treatment is better as well.

In this country? At times the medical treatments do more damage than they're worth.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
So, I'm an Ob/Gyn and my hospital sees a substantial prison population. Cost effectiveness should never enter the discussion when you are counseling a patient about a permanent sterilization procedure, especially when long acting reversible contraception is readily available. We do end up performing a lot of hysterectomies on incarcerated patients though for a multitude of other indications, usually chronic pelvic pain, fibroids, or abnormal uterine bleeding. In my experience this is because when people are incarcerated, they suddenly have access to medical care that they never had in the free world because of lack of insurance/Medicaid qualification. But consent from patients, especially incarcerated patients, is absolutely critical. I have never encountered a patient who wasn't 100% ready to have their surgery because it is easy for them to refuse it at multiple points (most just don't get on the bus to the hospital for their surgery if they change their mind). Furthermore, I don't think we even do tubal ligations on incarcerated patients, or at least I've never seen it here. I can't speak for other hospital systems, but I'm proud of the service we have given to incarcerated women.

That being said, there is definitely a power imbalance between providers and a vulnerable population like those in prison, and it needs to be taken into account. There needs to be public scrutiny to ensure that these patients aren't being coerced or taken advantage of, so I am glad to see this coming to light.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So, I'm an Ob/Gyn and my hospital sees a substantial prison population. Cost effectiveness should never enter the discussion when you are counseling a patient about a permanent sterilization procedure, especially when long acting reversible contraception is readily available. We do end up performing a lot of hysterectomies on incarcerated patients though for a multitude of other indications, usually chronic pelvic pain, fibroids, or abnormal uterine bleeding. In my experience this is because when people are incarcerated, they suddenly have access to medical care that they never had in the free world because of lack of insurance/Medicaid qualification. But consent from patients, especially incarcerated patients, is absolutely critical. I have never encountered a patient who wasn't 100% ready to have their surgery because it is easy for them to refuse it at multiple points (most just don't get on the bus to the hospital for their surgery if they change their mind). Furthermore, I don't think we even do tubal ligations on incarcerated patients, or at least I've never seen it here. I can't speak for other hospital systems, but I'm proud of the service we have given to incarcerated women.

That being said, there is definitely a power imbalance between providers and a vulnerable population like those in prison, and it needs to be taken into account. There needs to be public scrutiny to ensure that these patients aren't being coerced or taken advantage of, so I am glad to see this coming to light.

that prison population is for profit though? Sorta a bad foundation in general.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Birth control (the pill) was tested on Puerto Rican women. As in, they were guinea pigs. Tons of birth defects and sterilization.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That's a good point. Mine is a state prison system and state hospital, so non-profit, but I could see problems arising in a for-profit hospital contract with a prison

Either way, thanks for taking care of people sir.

I think its a big problem, healthcare in general that it goes for a $$$ basis. Just trickles down to every horrible facet of life.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
Just last year US doctors were performing full hysterectomies on migrants at the US-Mexican border. They did not consent to the surgery of course. Its is probably still happening.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just last year US doctors were performing full hysterectomies on migrants at the US-Mexican border. They did not consent to the surgery of course. Its is probably still happening.

I knew a nurse that told me point blank that doctors doing c-sections on unmarried women who just kept having kids would just *snip* them right then and there. No consent, no conversation. This was fairly recently. So I'm sure it still goes on to this day.