• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really enjoyed them when they aired the dun and even watched some of the movies. I liked that even though it had an over arching storyline you could just pick up an episode and try to figure out the crime of the day.

It was kind of creepy though. Something about the design of the characters and when they would show those silhouettes with the huge eyes lurking around the corner or committing murder freaked me the fuck out to this day.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It astounds me that it's still going. I bought volume 11 on the way to the airport when we moved out of Japan back in 1996, and it's still going 22 years later. I admit that I kinda fell out with it around the early 2000s because it started to become more expensive to get it and I was poor. Now I am not sure if I could ever get back into it again.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Fact: Yaiba was a better manga. And deserved a follow-up. The MC flew into space and the manga ended T_T

Last edited:

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I should really catch back up sometime. I fell out of watching the anime some point in the mid 800s (so almost a year ago now, wow).

For any non-fans or lapsed fans reading the thread, I highly recommend at least catching up on the yearly movies. They're reliably enjoyable, with a few really great ones thrown in every couple years; even the not-as-great ones always avoid Conan's most major flaw (the glacial pacing). And they're for general audiences, so you don't need to be up-to-date with the series.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Fairly close to the latest chapter but I'm kind of dropping most of it unless there's a BO appearance. It was kind of good initially but the continuous coincidental cases, repetition, makes it a tiring uninteresting read

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Kindaichi.

Kindaichi also goes nowhere with its main plot too. The new manga series where there is a time skip and he is a middle age man seems to be interesting though so I started reading again.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It astounds me that it's still going. I bought volume 11 on the way to the airport when we moved out of Japan back in 1996, and it's still going 22 years later. I admit that I kinda fell out with it around the early 2000s because it started to become more expensive to get it and I was poor. Now I am not sure if I could ever get back into it again.
I think I got to around volume 15. I assume it's just a weekly mystery adventure story at this point, though it was pretty much that way back then.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
This and Bio Booster Guyver I decided a long time ago to wait until they've finished before reading (though Guyver is more because chapters are so infrequent).

Detective Conan is really good when it comes to the big cases, but there's so much downtime in between.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
This and Bio Booster Guyver I decided a long time ago to wait until they've finished before reading (though Guyver is more because chapters are so infrequent).

Detective Conan is really good when it comes to the big cases, but there's so much downtime in between.
There are some poor ladies my senior at my office that are still waiting for The Glass Mask to finish.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
<----

A friend got me to watch the series, and we managed to get to around Episode ~630 (2005-era for sure), we tried to watch the movies in chronological order alongside the series as well. I've dropped off, but I like it. Not every episode will be quite as entertaining, but some do have real good murder mystery behind them.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I used to read the manga religiously until around volume 50+ or so.

I'm surprised it's not mentioned as often, seeing how VIZ localised all the volumes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8117

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, didn't expect to get all these posts, even if most of them is in the "I dropped it because it was going nowhere" camp, and while I understand that, the thing about DC, is that it's always going somewhere. Just very slowly.

Like, the status quo now is totally different from what it was on the start of the Manga. With more parties like the FBI and the secret police getting into the conflict, and way more information about the nature of the BO revealed.

Just in the last 8 chapters we got some huge developments that makes me think the Manga is going to be wrapping up in the next few years. To sum them up:

- Shinichi and Ran are now finally an official couple, 1000 chapters later.
- Shinichi fucked up and now the BO are aware that he's still alive and are investigating him.
- The boss/founder(?) of the BO is revealed to be Renya Karassuma, a background character that fans have been suspecting for years.
- In the light of all of that, Shinichi's parents are now back permanently to Tokyo, saying that they're not leaving until everything is resolved, because now they're in a "do or die situation", alluding to us entering the final arc.

It's exciting times and it really feels surreal to me since I've been watching Conan since I was 4 years old. It always was this larger than life thing to me, and now that it's starting to wrap up I'm filled with excitement.

The only true problem I have with the Manga right now is this :

Only issues I have with the manga it stop having and the "And There Were None" cases.

Those cases were the absolute best and now they're very rare in the Manga. We got like, two of them in the last 500 chapter or so. It sucks.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been reading past 950 or so. I believe there was a hiatus of sorts because Gosho Aoyama got sick, and haven't returned since. Maybe I'll check it out again and see what's up.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Those cases were the absolute best and now they're very rare in the Manga. We got like, two of them in the last 500 chapter or so. It sucks.

Question is it because it got really popular with kids? Manga/Anime use to have really gruesome murder mysteries.

Also, best movies are

• The Fourteenth Target

• Captured in Her Eyes
  • The Phantom of Baker Street

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Part of my childhood back then, but at some point it became clear to me that the series was more about giving the author a nice paycheck than actually trying to progress the story. Which is good for him, don't get me wrong, he seems to like what he's doing.
Just lost interest sadly.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The series got pretty stupid due to how it's been some decades and Conan still hasn't aged one bit.

Even if you consider that every case happened every fucking day (which is pretty ridiculous), the cast should be AT LEAST 2 older now.

And it's dumb how Ran hasn't gotten over him and just got a new boyfriend.

Like others have said there were some classics like the Mountain Villa Murder, the episode where Mouri meets up with his collogues and solves a murder, the episode where the kids sneak to school at night to catch a gang (Conan even thought that they were the black organization) only to realize that it was some teacher doing stuff, the episode where the kids solve puzzles to catch some treasure only to find out that they were doing another gang's work.

These were sooooo good, I tried catching up with the series and most of the new stuff is nowhere that good imo.

Last edited:

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
Conan is in a personal purgatory/ coma where he is forced to solve murders forever while being unable to fuck his old girlfriend because he was a smug little kid who thought he could take out them Mafia guys on his own and got poisoned instead.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I used to watch it all the time on Cartoon Network but havent in years

Need to start it up again and catch up ;)

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I love Detective Conan but I am waaay behind. I don't even remember quite where I was so I've been contemplating starting over from the beginning but I never got around to it.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching some episodes on adult swim and liked them a lot but looking at it now there is just so much to get into.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan when Detective Conan originally released in Spain, manga and anime form. Followed every episode and the dub here was freaking great (NuriaTrifol as Ran <3 and absolutely loved Kogoro and Shinichi's voices )
They changed the dub completely after some years so I didnt continue with that and then the maga was going and going and just couldnt follow it anymore.

Should have made it a much smaller tighter story.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the time I got into Case Closed thanks to FunimationTV the dub had already ended. I loved everything I saw from it. Sadly it's one of those repetitive shows that never finish like Pokemon and as much as I enjoy them I just can't watch them without multi-tasking so subbed releases mean nothing to me. I liked it a lot though, if it were dubbed I"d have no problems.

Big fan when Detective Conan originally released in Spain, manga and anime form. Followed every episode and the dub here was freaking great (NuriaTrifol as Ran <3 and absolutely loved Kogoro and Shinichi's voices )
They changed the dub completely after some years so I didnt continue with that and then the maga was going and going and just couldnt follow it anymore.

Should have made it a much smaller tighter story.

Is the dub still going on now? If not how far did it reach?

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I've always been meaning to start it but it seems so daunting lol

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Some other funny stuff I always think about when I think about conan.
Half of Japan is killed and the other half are killers in prison that always have a motive.
Inspector Megure is probably the worst inspector ever and without Sinichi most of the killers would walk out scott free lol
Most japanese killers are artists in their craft and the piano or fishing string is the most valuable piece for a killer.

Also the Moonlight Sonata where the house burns is probably my favourite episode.

By the time I got into Case Closed thanks to FunimationTV the dub had already ended. I loved everything I saw from it. Sadly it's one of those repetitive shows that never finish like Pokemon and as much as I enjoy them I just can't watch them without multi-tasking so subbed releases mean nothing to me. I liked it a lot though, if it were dubbed I"d have no problems.

Is the dub still going on now? If not how far did it reach?

Not even the newer (less good) dub is going still, and from searching right now the last episode dubbed in spanish was season 12,
The older one were the first 80 episodes.
Theres also some movies dubbed.

In catalonian there are many more seasons dubbed, and all using the same voices, but still not every season.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I should really catch back up sometime. I fell out of watching the anime some point in the mid 800s (so almost a year ago now, wow).

For any non-fans or lapsed fans reading the thread, I highly recommend at least catching up on the yearly movies. They're reliably enjoyable, with a few really great ones thrown in every couple years; even the not-as-great ones always avoid Conan's most major flaw (the glacial pacing). And they're for general audiences, so you don't need to be up-to-date with the series.
One thing I dislike about the movies is that they feel themselves forced to include some nonsensical action scene near the end (where Conan usually has to save Ran in a burning/collapsing building).
These were sooooo good, I tried catching up with the series and most of the new stuff is nowhere that good imo.
I find the main story bits as interesting as ever, if not even better (the hospital with Akai, the Ai train kidnapping attempt and so on).
The fillers do get tiresome after a while though, that's where the DC fatigue comes from IMO.
Pretty sure the main character isn't a kid but is in the form of a kid because of something which is why he hasn't aged.

Edit : oops dp
They meant how his kid form should have aged (or if it can't age, Ran and the others should).
He must have solved what, around 300 or 400 murders by now? Instead we're in Comic Book Time, where time passes but characters don't age.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
One thing I dislike about the movies is that they feel themselves forced to include some nonsensical action scene near the end (where Conan usually has to save Ran in a burning/collapsing building).

I find the main story bits as interesting as ever, if not even better (the hospital with Akai, the Ai train kidnapping attempt and so on).
The fillers do get tiresome after a while though, that's where the DC fatigue comes from IMO.

They meant how his kid form should have aged (or if it can't age, Ran and the others should).
He must have solved what, around 300 or 400 murders by now? Instead we're in Comic Book Time, where time passes but characters don't age.

Valve time !!!!

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a really good anime called "Erased" I recently saw. Similar premise with an adult turning into a kid, but it's like 20 episodes <_<

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Thread got me to go down a rabbit hole reading up on what I missed.

I need to actually read/watch now... I catch bits and pieces of the anime now and then.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Love it. One of my favorite manga, and once that I read a chapter as soon as it's out. Heiji is my favorite chapter, and I love when him and Kazuha shows up.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Love it to death, have even made AMVs to it lol. It's a great little series especially since I love mystery and whodunits. It's supposed to be ending soon-ish.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I follow the manga. It's been going on in Italy for almost 13 years now. There's so many stories I forgot most of them, but it's crazy. Some cases are so heavy with Japanese culture and language, it would be impossible for a foreigner to know where the case is going.

The main plot with those men in black can get sooo hype, though. I remember being so pumped in book 42 of the series, when Conan gets face to face with Vermouth in a car and there's so much going on on all fronts. But that was... more than half the series ago, that book probably came out 7 or more years ago here.

Also Conan's parents are awesome. When they decide to mess with their own son they can be incredibly mean, haha.

My only gripe with the manga is that it's all pretty samey after a while. Most cases are murders, and all the culprits come up with these incredibly convoluted plans for the sake of a crazy explanation. Also, having so many brilliant teenagers on the scene together is a bit jarring at times. Still, Conan's attitude and the variety of information delivered always makes things interesting. I just gave up on trying to solve the cases myself a long time ago, so I feel the series has been going through the motions for a while, but I think I'm in to the end at this point. Did the author ever say when the series is going to end?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember where I last stopped. Probably around volume 60+ or so. I have all the volumes in Chinese. Stopped buying after my only local publisher of manga translation folded.

Should really get back given that it seems to be ending soon. It's been going on for too long.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I stopped watching the anime years ago, but I watched the latest films and I thought the crossover with lupin the third was quite good. Been wanting to get back to the Anime or the Manga but it is a bit overwelming.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly never heard about Detective Conan, but instantly pictured Conan the Barbarian as detective. I.. would definitely check that!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I used to binge the original anime episodes and tended to enjoy it.

I saw it on netflix last year, and holy moly it's unwatchable and certainly not the same show as the old thing I watched. Just awful.

I presume the manga is pretty darn good. How many books is it?

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I used to binge the original anime episodes and tended to enjoy it.

I saw it on netflix last year, and holy moly it's unwatchable and certainly not the same show as the old thing I watched. Just awful.

I presume the manga is pretty darn good. How many books is it?
95 right now.
And yes, due to the very slow pacing and frequent murders involving convoluted codes, it's much better in manga form IMO.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching it on Netflix and it says "C17 E1" and I don't know what "C" is. Wiki says it's around season 24.

I loved watching the show back then, so there are all these new characters I don't know. Something that really bothered me was that Conan seems pretty open now? In the early episodes I've watched, he put a lot of effort into looking like a normal kid. But now he's pretty upfront accusing people, thinking out loud, police asking him what he thinks, what?

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
This topic reminded me to catch up on the important episodes. There was only a handful of them in like the past 2 years lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Been a big fan for a long time.

Pretty excited by all of the recent developments in the manga, and the boss reveal (although I'm pretty sure there's going to be another twist to that). Thinking the series should wrap up in the next 5-10 years depending on how many breaks Aoyama takes given his recent health issues.

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
I still read the manga. Wish they would dub more seasons. I'd watch it all up. I wish toonami would come back in a big way so stuff like this would seem more likely.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this show ever since it came on Adult Swim at like 3:30am back in the day.

The episodes are hit and miss, but to a mystery fan like me it's an endless mine of content.