• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leak?

• yea

Votes: 1,249 86.7%
  • nah

Votes: 191 13.3%

• Total voters

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Fair point.

That ain't stoping all the Doomguy in Smash speculation, to be honest.

I think the cartoony TF2 style also can blend perfectly with Smash, just look at Banjo-Kazooie. And yeah, you are right about that.

My wish mostly comes from how iconic the game and his characters are, they have a legacy, are known by a huge audience over the years, I don't think Overwatch reached or ever will reach the pop culture phenom that TF2 was/is.

Hmmmm I'd probably disagree with this, but time will definitely tell. Not sure how to quantify that anyways though.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I wonder if console versions are cross-platform, if so the Switch version should be able to bring some life to the game on console (las time a friend tried to play some quick play, the wait times were really long compared to PC or console launch).
I try not to appear too overzealous about cross-play, but it feels like the planets could be aligning for at least Overwatch console cross-play. And if Blizzard and players are feeling bold, opt-in/out cross-input play w/ console design matching parity with PC's balance.

Role Queue is coming out of beta, and anecdotally (with it being a beta in mind) it indeed increased matchmaking times on console for certain roles, compounded by certain groups role lock scenarios before searching. I remember Jeff Kaplan in the not too distant past (before Blizzard was publicly warm to the concept of role queue) tempering hopes by saying that such a feature would significantly increase matchmaking times - I understand PR/transparency, but I felt like it was an awkward concession to make when a (complicated) solution is cross-play. But I get them not talking about it until it's a firm part of their roadmap. Just seems like too much of a missed opportunity to let Role Queue launch for too long (I don't necessarily expect it on the first week of September) without bringing the gates down to improve the flow.

Jeff Kaplan praised Fortnite for its industry leading full cross-play last Blizzcon in an interview when asked about the feature. We're a month away from the anniversary of Sony's Cross-Play Beta! Early full cross-play advocate Psyonix finally accomplished the feature with Rocket League. Epic Games had success with PS4/Xbox One cross-play for Dauntless on day one (Switch coming soon too). Outside of the Epic-bubble, PUBG console just had cross-play announced this month. AAA fall releases are trending to have PS4/Xbox cross-play. The politics behind the scenes seem doable now from an outsider's perspective; my layman guess being that cross-play is comparatively straightforward at this stage compared to a developer retrofitting cross-progression with MTX that passes all the politics with the console manufacturers as well as internally with the publisher, but hopefully that'll be figured out with OW too.

And, I mean, this Switch launch will be a significant milestone for OW outside of the retained core base, the announcement will gain mindshare among console players again - just seems like a good time to strike with cross-play/progression. At least I hope so. I bet Nintendo would love it if Overwatch had cross-play, but especially would love it if it had cross-progression and players migrated to Switch with their cosmetics intact, buying future loot boxes from the eShop.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Title says its likely happening, but the OP was not updated. Anyone care to give me the gist since there are 18 pages now?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Title says its likely happening, but the OP was not updated. Anyone care to give me the gist since there are 18 pages now?
Threadmarks
Here is the Jeff Kaplan tease for early September

I voted in the poll to try and hint at whether Overwatch will come to Switch. But the OP made it so you can't see who voted for which option.

Basically all ya need to know unless you want to go down unverified Smash rumors and speculation territory (guilty above with my ramblings about cross-play).

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Why should someone's mechanical frustrations with Blizzard's balancing equate to hate for the character herself?
Ask symmetra
I meant more outside the game, in terms of people complaining about her being on branding. I thought that's what was being referenced. Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the hundreds upon hundreds of "why does Tracer have to be gay???" posts on the Blizz forums when her comic came out.
Oh yeah but idk how many of those actually play the game... i remember a lot of folks with old dads playing it that left once they heard about 76, people are pretty dumb. I find tracer annoying to play against but don't really hate her, she's cool and fun to play, but some people just want all that annoys her being deleted from it and that's a line if thought i can't comprehend)

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
People really need to separate the actual character from the character that people use in the game.

It's like Mei. People call her Satan because of her abilities that players use but the real Mei is a total sweetheart.

And Brigitte. I feel like Brigitte needs no explanation. Her poor actress gets so much hate from salty players who can't seem to realize that the VAs have no stand on what the meta is.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ

Saw Wario64 RT this, but I can't personally vouch for it.

Edit: aaaand the Tweet is already gone. I copied the text contents though (there was pic of a list of games and dates to go with it).

Update: Ice Age Scrat's Nutty Adventure (L'Âge de Glace : La folle aventure de Scrat) recently announced it release date October 18th today which was unknown until this list appear. This indicate that Overwatch and Plant vs Zombies date are real.

Edit 2:

Deleted last tweet as the date of Ice Age was known since Feb 22, 2019 on Amazon page (https://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07TKF1PLF/?th=1…). This could still be real or a fake elaborate leak (Grinch leak...). So as always hype with cautions lol.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... apparently this list is going around confirming that OW is coming out for switch and very soon on October 18th not sure if it was posted but grain of salt and all of that you know...

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After eating crow with Witcher 3, yeah gonna put this on happening. Personally not gonna get it due to how bad Switch's wifi is and how downgrade it will have due to weak specs (Witcher 3 was like potato settings) but might be tempted if it has cross progression from PC or PS4

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
So... apparently this list is going around confirming that OW is coming out for switch and very soon on October 18th not sure if it was posted but grain of salt and all of that you know...

Ah yes, the ol' "Print a Word document and take a picture of it" leak. Excellent choice, whichever redditor did it this time.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
brooooo i can't wait for NERF™ N-Strike Elite to come to the nintendo switch

716Gc7A4lLL._AC_.jpg
Yooo that game was my first credit as concept artist. Such a bad game but hey, got to design the main character so theres that.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
After eating crow with Witcher 3, yeah gonna put this on happening. Personally not gonna get it due to how bad Switch's wifi is and how downgrade it will have due to weak specs (Witcher 3 was like potato settings) but might be tempted if it has cross progression from PC or PS4

Game is not that demanding so it will not be that downgraded (biggest downgrade will be lower res).
Witcher 3 on Switch is far from potato settings, you have side by side comparision with PS4 and even PS4 noticeable look better,
Switch version looks surprisingly good and like full Witcher 3 game.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
Game is not that demanding so it will not be that downgraded (biggest downgrade will be lower res).
Witcher 3 on Switch is far from potato settings, you have side by side comparision with PS4 and even PS4 noticeable look better,
Switch version looks surprisingly good and like full Witcher 3 game.
The witcher 3 situation can't be applied to every game since other games like doom and wolfenstein 2 fare pretty bad

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
The witcher 3 situation can't be applied to every game since other games like doom and wolfenstein 2 fare pretty bad

That goes even more with examples you mentioned, because those are games with same engine done by same company (other company maybe could be done better job with them), also Doom is Switchs first year game and its not bad port (not best but not worst port also), while Wolfenstein 2 was noticeable upgraded over Doom 2016, we will see how Doom Eternal will end up.
I am one of those people that think Panic Button is not best Switch port company.

And fact is that Witcher 3 is more demanding game than Doom or Wolfenstein 2, there is reason why both those games are 60 FPS on XB1/PS4 while XB1/PS4 had problems with 30 FPS in Witcher 3.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 don't count, Dragon Quest XIS don't count, Hellblade don't count, Paladins don't count.

The only ports we can refer to are Doom, Wolfenstein and Ark.

On that basis every announcement should be met with concern about how downgraded it will be.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Witcher 3 don't count, Dragon Quest XIS don't count, Hellblade don't count, Paladins don't count.

On that basis every announcement should be met with concern about how downgraded it will be.

The main concern is how bad it will be on Switch wifi and people trying to play it undocked with joycons.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Do you think they will use Iron Galaxy again? They did such a great job with Diablo 3 and they are also working on Dauntless for Switch right now.

Yeah, most likely, I expecting good port in any case, it seems that Blizzard didn't want rush port and they take they time with Switch port.

So true.
If people really wants to talk about Switch ports and Switch capabilities they need to refer to most demanding and best ports because that shows for what Switch is capable, not to refer to mediocre or bad ports because every platform has them.

The main concern is how bad it will be on Switch wifi and people trying to play it undocked with joycons.

Overwatch is not first or last Switch internet game, you alredy have games like Splatoon 2, Fortnite, Paladins..

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019

A sign of this can already be seen in paladins where it reaches 378p in handheld mode. Overwatch is already a much more demanding game. Do you want it to look like ark

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
A sign of this can already be seen in paladins where it reaches 378p in handheld mode. Overwatch is already a much more demanding game. Do you want it to look like ark

I can't believe we have this conversation, we have Witcher 3 port on Switch that looks fine and we talking about one of most demanding and biggest games of generations, and now you talk if Overwatch should be ported to Switch or like it wll be huge downgrade, game that far less demanding in any case than Witcher 3 and game that even on base XB1 runs at 1080p/60fps (in comparison Witcher 3 is 900p/30fps on base XB1).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, most likely, I expecting good port in any case, it seems that Blizzard didn't want rush port and they take they time with Switch port.

So true.
If people really wants to talk about Switch ports and Switch capabilities they need to refer to most demanding and best ports because that shows for what Switch is capable, not to refer to mediocre or bad ports because every platform has them.

Overwatch is not first or last Switch internet game, you alredy have games like Splatoon 2, Fortnite, Paladins..

Yeah and I've played Mario Tennis and Mario Kart online and the wifi was far spotier compared to my consoles and PC.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah and I've played Mario Tennis and Mario Kart online and the wifi was far spotier compared to my consoles and PC.

So than why concern, you know what can you expect, especially if you played Splatoon 2, Fortnite or Paladins that are much better for comparison with Overwatch.
Some people here act like Overwatch is first online Switch game, which is ridiculous.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It's also coming more than a year later, and ports have only got better as time has passed. It could even be using the higher performance profile.

The fact that you literally went to the Ark comparison is hilarious.

How about we at least let them show it?

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
The Switch is weaker than an Intel hd 620 in handheld mode and that can't run it at 544p 60 fps let alone the switch. It runs at the same level as the switch on the witcher 3 when you use a mod so it isn't even a miracle

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
It's also coming more than a year later, and ports have only got better as time has passed. It could even be using the higher performance profile.

The fact that you literally went to the Ark comparison is hilarious.

How about we at least let them show it?
I'd say it is more reasonable to expect 30 fps than anything else

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The Switch is weaker than an Intel hd 620 in handheld mode and that can't run it at 544p 60 fps let alone the switch. It runs at the same level as the switch on the witcher 3 when you use a mod so it isn't even a miracle
If you're referring to the mods where people tried to imagine what the Witcher would look like we're it on equivalent hardware... No way dude. Witcher had like all of the trees taken out in the mod. The switch version looks a million times better.

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
You don't even need a mod. Slightly tweaking the config files also gets you a similar experience to the switch
If you're referring to the mods where people tried to imagine what the Witcher would look like we're it on equivalent hardware... No way dude. Witcher had like all of the trees taken out in the mod. The switch version looks a million times better.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Fact that you comparing performance of PC component to console is very wrong.
every console game have extra optimisation compared to PC, they are currently optimisation game for Switch hardware specifically.
I am pretty sure that you are one of people that were saying that Witcher 3 cant run on Switch.

I'd say it is more reasonable to expect 30 fps than anything else

I am willing to bet that game will be 60 FPS on Switch also.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

No PvZ on the Switch I see :(

Paladins runs in native resolution 90% of the time, it can drop for sure, but 378p is only for a few second sometimes.
Not true. Digital foundry did an analysis on this and it dropped to 378p almost constantly

Paladins runs great on the Switch. Have 100+ hours of game time, would say 30% handheld and it runs great and looks great.

The resolution it drops to honestly doesn't matter if it still looks good to me.

Also 60fps 99% of the time.

Overwatch will be fine on the Switch.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guys Justin Wong is arguing in bad faith, that much should be obvious.

He's disregarding all positive achievements and doubles down on all negative things.

It's no use to discuss that matter with him.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah at the very least I would have hoped that discussion of these sorta things would be closer monitored by the powers that be before anyone has seen the game because it's just constant bickering back and forth with no real evidence of how X game is definitely going to be like whicg encourages bad faith arguments. But since it happens every time I guess not.

Just report and move on and maybe the next game will at least be shown off before the bickering starts.