• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I live in Europe, but I am following this election very closely. I do find the system Americans use quite unique and a little bit old fashioned? The fact that you only have two parties is already really strange to me, simply because there are so many opinions that there will always be statements in both parties you can't agree with. For example, we have about 10 parties in our country.

However what I really wonder is how Americans feel about that it doesn't matter how big you win or lose a state? If you lose a state barely with 4.000 votes you still receive no electoral votes even if millions of people voted for your party.

Following that, doesn't it bother people that if you live in certain states it probably doesn't even matter if you go vote or not because those states are always won by the same parties? So for example if you are a democrat, but your state is always easily won by Republicans, why even vote? And yes, I read here the whole time 'every vote counts'. But honestly with this system, not every vote counts it seems in the end? Or am I just misunderstanding the American system?

Oct 25, 2017
For presidential, yes, it is very undemocratic. But remember that there are state legislators, governors, mayors, judges, sheriffs, and etc are on ballot every year. Plenty of blue states have red legislators and vice-versa. Your vote does matter.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've wanted the EC eliminated or bypassed for years.

Barring the pop vote interstate compact actually becoming a thing, that ain't happening.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I vote for more than just the president so I find voting to be worthwhile nonetheless.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Down ballot is a thing, tho. But it sucks. Won't be changed unless there's a Civil War or some major realignments.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I like your tone, Frenchie. Of course my vote counts, and how dare you say otherwise?

At least we get to vote, unlike you Europeans living under your kings and queens.

FREEEEDOMMMMM

Nov 17, 2017
A lot of people are either uneducated or disenfranchised. So either people don't realize how fucked the system is or they don't care. Or both.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse when you live in a state with 3 electoral votes, might as well just ignore the federal election in my state and only concentrate on local. Usually the race is called before they've even started counting the ballots in my state.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
There is more to the vote than just the presidential. Local elections matter even more to your life probably so your vote always matters.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You should bring that up with the former convicts who got their right to vote back in my state

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
So for example if you are a democrat, but your state is always easily won by Republicans, why even vote? And yes, I read here the whole time 'every vote counts'. But honestly with this system, not every vote counts it seems in the end? Or am I just misunderstanding the American system?
I'm not American, but can probably answer this one for you pretty easily. The focus of international media will generally be heavily on the presidential election, but that's far (far far far) from being the only thing that US voters are voting on. They will always also be voting on their US house district seat, and often also for a US senate seat. There'll be further elections for their state legislature, and may also be referendums on various proposed pieces of legislation, as well as a bunch of other elected positions.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well for the President you're not wrong. For other elected officials those use the actual number of votes. But yes, I hate the EC system, I get it to a degree, that you don't want specific states running who wins, but it really shouldn't matter. If more people vote for A, then A should win.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's even worse when you live in a state with 3 electoral votes, might as well just ignore the federal election in my state and only concentrate on local. Usually the race is called before they've even started counting the ballots in my state.
..except when the election is decided by 2 electors like it might end up now?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK has same problem, the winner is all that matters and the rest of the votes in that area are binned. Creates a system where a party that could have second most votes could potentially get no representation in Parliament at all if they never the most in any region. We do have more than two parties though, even if two are dominant.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
For presidential, yes, it is very undemocratic. But remember that there are state legislators, governors, mayors, judges, sheriffs, and etc are on ballot every year. Plenty of blue states have red legislators and vice-versa. Your vote does matter.
Basically this. People always forget that there are so many things voters can influence. Instead plenty important seats are filled without any competition, just because people don't bother with local elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.