• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've got a PS3 stored somewhere. I wonder how long that shit would take to even boot up. I have nightmares about how slow that OS was jumping in and out of games.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Keep your PS3. It's a pretty damn good PS1 disc player for modern TVs also, didn't realize the digital versions are often blurrier.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side, if they ever decide to add backwards compatibility, you will be able to use them.

PS Now uses Ps3 hardware to stream their games. Sooner or later they will need to add PS5 support.

that aside, get a PS3 for now. They should be cheap enough these days. i got one hooked up as of now.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is the company that just got loud approval from its audience for supporting "discrete generations" a few months back as Microsoft put forward its newly-adopted multi-generational approach. I'd lower my hopes for them really caring to support their past generations, no matter how technically possible it is.

They don't care, and the audience loudly backs them on it too.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
ullaqld.jpg

Is the PS4 about to launch?

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Sony has the full documentation of the PS3 hardware. The community has been working on an emulator without the documentation, why is it so unfathomable to ERA that Sony should also make one that would work on PS5?

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
on one hand, i feel your pain.

on the other hand though, were you not present during the PS4 launch? That's not a problem for you then but it's a problem for you now?
I think the kicker was when Microsoft slowly added in BC

Again, I know hard copies are out of the window, I was just asking about digital games or the PS Classics

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This is the company that just got loud approval from its audience for supporting "discrete generations" a few months back as Microsoft put forward its newly-adopted multi-generational approach. I'd lower my hopes for them really caring to support their past generations, no matter how technically possible it is.

They don't care, and the audience loudly backs them on it too.

I don't see people singing mass praises that we can't play our old games, more like it isn't an expectation. I'd pay for an overly expensive PS5 that just came wtih PS2/3 internals built in to cover all bases if it was offered.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't see people singing mass praises that we can't play our old games, more like it isn't an expectation. I'd pay for an overly expensive PS5 that just came wtih PS2/3 internals built in to cover all bases if it was offered.

ResetEra poll back in May

I'm with you. I would pay extra if I could get some backwards compat, too. I voted in favor of Microsoft's non-generational approach on the poll I linked, for the record.

But there it is. The masses here do seem to back Sony. Sony can just ride that wave of not caring with the people at their back.

I'm not upset by it, just kinda confused why people around here will defend the hell out of physical games and holding onto old consoles and huge libraries when it doesn't seem like it'd take too much effort to make it all compatible on one current device.

EDIT: Actually, the assumption about the effort it would take is misplaced. I still think it's a noble endeavor, no matter how challenging, to try and get that compatibility out to customers, and I think if nothing else, Microsoft's model is setting a high standard for it. Granted, it also seems quite noticeable that many don't feel as passionately about the Microsoft catalogue of games as the Sony one... Still, I think they've set the bar and they've set it quite well, despite some early struggles with their Xbox One backwards compat efforts.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra poll back in May

I'm with you. I would pay extra if I could get some backwards compat, too. I voted in favor of Microsoft's non-generational approach on the poll I linked, for the record.

But there it is. The masses here do seem to back Sony. Sony can just ride that wave of not caring with the people at their back.

I'm not upset by it, just kinda confused why people around here will defend the hell out of physical games and holding onto old consoles and huge libraries when it doesn't seem like it'd take too much effort to make it all compatible on one device.

Isn't that thread about cross-generation development and not about backwards compatibility? Cuz I'd certainly agree I'd prefer PS5 games to be PS5 games and backwards compatibility to be backwards compatibility.

As for the ease of BC, Sony is definitely shafting all of us with PS1 compatibility just based on how cheap it would be to run them. Won't speak to the feasibility of the rest.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Isn't that thread about cross-generation development and not about backwards compatibility? Cuz I'd certainly agree I'd prefer PS5 games to be PS5 games and backwards compatibility to be backwards compatibility.

As for the ease of BC, Sony is definitely shafting all of us with PS1 compatibility just based on how cheap it would be to run them. Won't speak to the feasibility of the rest.

I get the thing you're pointing out about cross-generational games in particular. It's sort of a specific beast being discussed there. In my mind, however, it is sort of inseparable from the idea of backwards compatibility. I understand people wanting their console to operate at as high a spec as it can and not be "wasted" on games that are generationally behind design-wise, but... I'd argue backwards compatible games, even played on a contemporary console, are kind of that. If you really want backwards compatibility, I think you inherently don't necessarily believe in discrete console generations.

I will admit that I might be making massive assumptions here, but to me they're almost one and the same. If you want your system to perform to its spec, why would you also insist that it be able to play games from several generations back? Those games will inherently not operate to spec of the console.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I took this thread as more of asking for an update on whether there were any plans to ever get further bc. In those 7 years MS has added bc for the 360 and og xbox.

That's great for MS, but we just got an update from Jim Ryan a day or two ago that PS1, 2 and 3 BC ain't happening. There's a huge thread in the first page of gaming side.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I think the kicker was when Microsoft slowly added in BC

Again, I know hard copies are out of the window, I was just asking about digital games or the PS Classics

let me get this straight from you.....what do you think is the difference between the physical copy of a PS1 game and the PS Classic version of a PS1 game? Do you really expect them to use different images between the 2 version? The digital version of PS Classic on the PSN store is no more than an iso rip of the physical PS1 CD, wrapped within its own DRM and only executable via the PS1 emulator in the PS3/PSP/PSV. Since sony's not developing any of such PS1 emulator on the PS4 and PS5, i don't get why you have a sudden clamoring of it?

Again, i feel your pain, i do am disappointed myself and am building my own legacy playstation emulation box but i just don't understand why you specifically asking about the digital PSN version as if it's different version of a PS1 game than the physical copy.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
PS3 exists in a technical twilight zone it seems, at least as far as Sony is concerned. It's too bad because as we see on the other side, people still buy 360 games on the xbox marketplace so those 10-15 year old titles are still raking in some money for the publishers. PS3 systems are going to be commodities if they aren't already but like all tech, more and more break down as the years pass.

At the very least I hope those PS2 classics on PS4 make it over, and it would be nice if the PS1 classics as well but I harbour little hope for the latter.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
How long we gonna let Sony get away with this argument? If Microsoft can get Xbox 360 games playable on Xbox One, what's Sony's excuse two generations down? No PS1 and 2 is just absurd.
No PS1 & 2 is absurb, i understand. But PS3 emulation is not like XB360 emulation. The PS3 is a separate beast of an architecture altogether.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What's keeping Sony from letting people play PS3 games they own by streaming them on PS Now without having to sub to the service? But that would be too simple and not make any money so it probably won't happen.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Yeah Sony and Nintendo are the worst at keeping your old purchases active on new hardware. This is the biggest plus to PC gaming, and I wish they would figure out a way (even as a service) to make it happen.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Where have you been op? This happened when we went from ps3 to ps4. I "lost" soooooooo many digital games because I traded my PS3 away expecting the games to all end up on ps4. I guess I can always buy a ps3 again, however due to this jank I never bought many digital titles on my ps4. I don't trust any company other than Steam with digital games being available to me throughout my years. Even on 360 to the One I lost stuff along the way. And don't even get me started on Wii to Wii U to Switch. Digital ownership fucking sucks to be honest. I know these companies are promising to do better, like One to the Series or Ps4 to ps5, but I don't trust it and I've bought less digital this past Gen because of it.

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
People need to stop acting like backward compatibility for PS1-PS3 is some gargantuan task that can't be done. Sony just chooses not to, and it's a shitty choice whether or not you personally would take advantage of it. They literally have emulaters for PS1/PS2 on PS4 that are on the system and disabled. Even if you're not interested, you should be in support of pro-consumer practices like backward compatibility.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
People need to stop acting like backward compatibility for PS1-PS3 is some gargantuan task that can't be done. Sony just chooses not to, and it's a shitty choice whether or not you personally would take advantage of it. They literally have emulaters for PS1/PS2 on PS4 that are on the system and disabled. Even if you're not interested, you should be in support of pro-consumer practices like backward compatibility.

It's not just feasibility, it also seems to be licensing issue, otherwise the Xbox compatibility list with the Xbox One would be complete. This is why I'd take an even fatter, somehow even uglier, more expensive PS5 that just had the internals built in for past gens. As it is, the PS4 can't even read PS1 CD ROMS, and probably the PS5 wouldn't either.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
So stuff I bought at least 10 years ago got stuck on a system I can buy today?

yeah, that's terrible

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You gotta keep your PS3 if you want to continue playing your digital downloaded versions of the games. Sorry.

Your only hope is if Sony & other 3rd party publishers ports the games over to PS4 & PS5 like Sony did with The Last of Us 1, Uncharted 1-3, God of War 3, Shadow of the Colossus, etc., & now with Demon's Souls, what Ubisoft did with Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game & what The Behemoth did with Castle Crashers. Other than that, most PS3 games are going to stay stuck on that system forever.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Hack your console, dump your console, and emulate on PC.

Simpsons, X-Men, Scott Pilgrim, and other arcade classics work perfectly fine in RPCS3. The eboot files for PS1 classics work with Retroarch cores and Mednafen. The real loss would be the PS2 classics since you would probably need them to work with RPCS3 if they're the kinda updated ones. Don't know if you can dump those ISOs to work in PCSX2, though.

But if you can't, your PS2 copies are more than capable of working there.

If your collection can work on a Windows, Mac, or Linux PC or can work on Android, I suggest just migrating everything that does work to one of those and leaving the box around for the few things you still want to play that don't.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean this is nothing new. Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have all been pretty clear that they don't respect users' digital libraries from that generation.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What's keeping Sony from letting people play PS3 games they own by streaming them on PS Now without having to sub to the service? But that would be too simple and not make any money so it probably won't happen.

The subscription probably goes towards paying for the servers and bandwidth used to stream the games. Yes, "if they don't make any money it probably won't happen" is like basically the motto of every company ever.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
it's a new generation in case you hadn't heard, new features are usually a thing

So you respond to a reply about how I didn't see supposed hostility, with dickhead snark? Lol

we just got an update from Jim Ryan a day or two ago that PS1, 2 and 3 BC ain't happening. There's a huge thread in the first page of gaming side.

www.resetera.com

[Famitsu] Jim Ryan: No PS1-PS3 backwards compatibility

Quote comes from a recent Famitsu interview, translation comes from a Siliconera article: https://www.famitsu.com/news/202009/17206011.html https://www.siliconera.com/jim-ryan-ps5-no-backwards-compatibility-with-ps3-and-older-games/ I know that there were a lot of rumors about Sony...

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
I cant imagine Sony keeping online services alive for the PS3 much longer so better back ups those games kids.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Even I still have both of my PS3's, one in viewing distance right this moment (not plugged in or anything). I don't even play consoles anymore really. People that really want to access their PS3 games should likely have a way, and if not or if they want to transition to a new system, I hear PC does good emulation of PS3.

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
It's not just feasibility, it also seems to be licensing issue, otherwise the Xbox compatibility list with the Xbox One would be complete. This is why I'd take an even fatter, somehow even uglier, more expensive PS5 that just had the internals built in for past gens. As it is, the PS4 can't even read PS1 CD ROMS, and probably the PS5 wouldn't either.

I would take this too. Honestly, I'd probably pay an extra 100 dollars for full backward compatibility, if it were an option.

And sure, licensing is a thing. But even if backward compatibility could be secured for most or even the most popular games, it would be a celebrated feature. This is why, although I haven't bought an Xbox since the 360 era, I appreciate Microsoft. Their competition is the only thing that's going to move Sony. Look at the Playstation Plus Collection. That doesn't exist without Gamepass/All Access. Shit makes me wanna buy a protest Xbox.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
so much hostility against OP. what is happening y'all?
Don't think there's any hostility, think it's more people are just surprised that someone thinks that a digital PS3 title that was designed to run exactly the same as the retail version, on the same hardware, would somehow be different in terms of BC.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It cannot be stressed how much value the PS3 still has. Not only can it run PS1 and PS3 disks (and PS2 depending on your model) but the PS Classics digital library is damn near comprehensive. Sony and Nintendo have both intentionally scaled back how available their classic libraries are so they can sell them to you again in new ways, often with much less on offer each time.

This thread is a perfect example of why it works too. So many people rushing to tell OP it's fine because it was this way for PS4, as if we should never expect a company to do better.