• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was boarding a Delta flight yesterday, and instead of scanning my boarding pass they scanned my face. In a matter of seconds a ticket with my information including first and last name was printed. "What the hell?" I thought. That was pure facial recognition, and nothing else. I provided no other information but my face to a camera. The most jarring thing for me is that no explanation was provided, they were just like "stare into the screen, sir"

I searched this up and this technology, biometrics, is becoming increasingly more prevalent as of 2019 in airports. Some airlines are even doing self boarding now.

What gives? What's wrong with scanning a passport? It takes the same amount of time.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were you traveling internationally? You usually don't need to provide a passport unless you'r leaving the country?

Anyway, all the customs/immigration stuff was done via facial recognition when I visited Australia recently. It was much faster than U.S. immigration. You did also scan your passport, though.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Fuck that. I was telling my coworker about deep fakes today and her mind was blown. Technology and the nefarious ways govt and people are using it is getting creepy and it's worsening.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was boarding a Delta flight yesterday, and instead of scanning my boarding pass they scanned my face. In a matter of seconds a ticket with my information including first and last name was printed. "What the hell?" I thought. That was pure facial recognition, and nothing else. I provided no other information but my face to a camera. The most jarring thing for me is that no explanation was provided, they were just like "stare into the screen, sir"

I searched this up and this technology, biometrics, is becoming increasingly more prevalent as of 2019 in airports. Some airlines are even doing self boarding now.

What gives? What's wrong with scanning a passport? It takes the same amount of time.
Do identical twins, dopplegangers, or facial surgery trick these things?

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that. I was telling my coworker about deep fakes today and her mind was blown. Technology and the nefarious ways govt and people are using it is getting creepy and it's worsening.
I mean, they definitely already have your face if you're at the airport minding your own business. This isn't expediting that.

OP
OP
TheIdiot

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were you traveling internationally? You usually don't need to provide a passport unless you'r leaving the country?

Anyway, all the customs/immigration stuff was done via facial recognition when I visited Australia recently. It was much faster than U.S. immigration. You did also scan your passport, though.

Actually, it was domestic in the US.

Yeah it's happened to me a few times, I think Heathrow has it implemented?

From what I've read, British Airways at Heathrow has implemented it with a self-boarding process.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed this in Gatwick Airport. The system didn't recognize me though, I had to remove my glasses before it let me through.

OP
OP
TheIdiot

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately for ugly people everywhere, yes

Cries in ugly

"Stare into the screen, sir"

PerfectEnviousBrant-size_restricted.gif

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
I did it flying out of JFK last month and it was creepy af for sure, especially since I wasn't expecting it when I got to the gate.