• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Now I really want to know more about ancient Pokemon lore. Tell us everything from the start please.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Pokeballs can store a Pokemon that is larger than a house, so that's already breaking vairous laws of physics. it's all magic as far as I'm concerned and not even technology in the series.

No need to overthink it...

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Pokeballs can store a Pokemon that is larger than a house, so that's already breaking vairous laws of physics. it's all magic as far as I'm concerned and not even technology in the series.

No need to overthink it...

How much mass can you condense into a small object before it becomes a black hole?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
IMO Voltorbs didn't exist until after Pokeballs were invented. Like Klefkis wouldn't have existed before people were carrying around keys on rings, or Vanillite wouldn't have existed before ice cream cones were created. Some Pokemon are a reflection of human invention, and thus come after that, whether as manifestations of the collective unconscious or physical objects brought to life or just poorly thought-out world building.
It's actually canon that Voltorb didn't exist until after the creation of Poké Balls. Most of the Dexes mention this, but the exact link is never committed to. Some Dexes just call it camo, others pretty much straight up call it a Poké Ball brought life, others still are really vague.

My explanation of choice, which I don't think is from anything, is that a Poké Ball failed catastrophically and merged with the Pokémon inside. Which is also why they're electric and prone to exploding - the end result was something extremely unstable.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
It's actually canon that Voltorb didn't exist until after the creation of Poké Balls. Most of the Dexes mention this, but the exact link is never committed to. Some Dexes just call it camo, others pretty much straight up call it a Poké Ball brought life, others still are really vague.

My explanation of choice, which I don't think is from anything, is that a Poké Ball failed catastrophically and merged with the Pokémon inside. Which is also why they're electric and prone to exploding - the end result was something extremely unstable.

Then why can they breed?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I find one issue to be pressed about, Oak made the first pokedex canonically right? Then what are we supposed to be in PLA? Aren't we making a Pokedex before he even exists?

Gamefreak fix this.

Or, is Oak the first person to successfully live to make a pokedex? If the last question, then we die before ever completing the Pokédex in PLA =D

Amazing ending!

Oak only had us finish the Kanto Dex, right? Maybe his was the first one for that region? Maybe people just didn't care enough until then and he was inspired by the story of the player character in PLA.

What if a pokeball hits a person by mistake?!

Persemon

OP
OP
Solarc

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
there is literally an entire type of Pokemon dedicated to those that emit electricity
And yet these people are still using oil lamps, really makes you think
What if a pokeball hits a person by mistake?!
Apparently the anime? covered this, if someone gets hit with the beam they just get stunned for a bit or something, anyway, that gave me an idea...

I don't like using the anime, but seeing as it's the best we got my current theory is going to be that it's not the Poké Ball doing the compression magic or at least not just the ball by itself, there's something about how Pokémon are composed that makes it so the interaction between the two makes the whole thing possible. Otherwise, we'd see the same technology being used for carrying other everyday stuff.

Man, GF should hire me or something, I tell you what

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like using the anime to try to explain stuff because they'll just make it up on the spot for the sake of a good story. I mean, Game Freak does too, but it's not as constant so things can be more consistent gen to gen (until it isn't)

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon have always been able to be stored in small objects, as it's an intrinsic property of all Pokémon

the modern version of the Poké Ball was developed in 1925 by Professor Westwood after an accident where a Primeape he was studying was captured inside of his glasses case

OP
OP
Solarc

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Pokémon have always been able to be stored in small objects, as it's an intrinsic property of all Pokémon

the modern version of the Poké Ball was developed in 1925 by Professor Westwood after an accident where a Primeape he was studying was captured inside of his glasses case
Ah yes, the pocket gene
Will there be "era variants" of Pokémon like there are regional variants?
There should be era-accurate Voltorb and Electrode if nothing else

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed that Pokemon have some shared gene or DNA that allows the tech inside the Pokeball to convert them into energy (and apparently brainwash them). For the acorn balls, it's said that they have a similar device. I am not sure if it was actually ever stated they just threw the acorn itself and captured Pokemon. I have no idea how they made this capture device centuries ago but apparently, there is some substitute to the modern one inside Pokeballs.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Well, the balls in Legend are steam powered and probably developed alongside of the industrial revolution. The game seems to take place in the Meiji period. In this world, where everything revolves around Pokémon, a wide and plentiful variety of biological and magical wonders, it does make sense that their development of technology wouldn't mirror ours. They'd certainly prioritize Poke Balls, and other Poke-gadgets. They'd have more to study and emulate, and more means of generating energy or harvesting resources.

Don't ask me to attempt to explain the actual tech though, lol

Otherwise, we'd see the same technology being used for carrying other everyday stuff.
Well, we've been able to store physical items in our PC somehow since the first game!

OP
OP
Solarc

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Dunno. My bag can hold a lot of stuff in these games.
Well, the balls in Legend are steam powered and probably developed alongside of the industrial revolution. The game seems to take place in the Meiji period. In this world, where everything revolves around Pokémon, a wide and plentiful variety of biological and magical wonders, it does make sense that their development of technology wouldn't mirror ours. They'd certainly prioritize Poke Balls, and other Poke-gadgets.

Don't ask me to attempt to explain the actual tech though, lol

Well, we've been able to store physical items in our PC somehow since the first game!
You guys just couldn't let me have this one, could you?

Nov 4, 2017
It doesn't have to be electricity, it can be heat, steam, whatever.

I just find it hilarious how they have the technology to fit something like Wailord into something the size of a baseball while still having to rely on oil lamps.
Polynesians crossed thousands of kilometres of ocean without a magnetic compass. Indigenous Australians recorded histories and genealogies going back thousands of years without writing. Mesoamericans built stone structures without the wheel. The idea that technology has to advance in a specific order is a Eurocentric bias. Also, my granddad was born in a house with no electricity... In 1926. In the UK.

Still, I see your point where something as fantastical as "store a whole whale in the palm of your hand" demands a good explanation.