• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the most likely to be delayed out of 2021?

• Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 83 5.6%
  • God of War: Ragnarok

Votes: 1,330 89.3%
  • Returnal

Votes: 9 0.6%
  • Deathloop

Votes: 7 0.5%
  • Ghostwire Tokyo

Votes: 59 4.0%

• Total voters

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this. For PS5 exclusives in its first year, we have

Returnal
Deathloop
Ghostwire Toyko
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Horizon: Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok

As well as rumors pointing at possibly Gran Turismo 7 and Final Fantasy 16.

That's nuts, that's like an exclusive every other month. Sony sort of tried this before with the PS3, and it didn't really work out for them, they ended up having their first party games compete with each other, due to having time to breathe. I could easily see some of these being delayed to get out of the way of others.... But also, just because 2020 has slowed down game development a lot for certain developers, and it would not be unthinkable for them to need more time.

So how many of these games will be pushed back?

Edit: I forgot about Kena: Bridge of Spirits and Destruction All-Stars.

Last edited:

Deleted member 44122

god of war. we havent seen anything yet except a title reveal

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
Honestly just God of War for me. I'd imagine the rest are much further along. Deathloop and Ghost Wire were already delayed into next year and pushing H:FW past next year might be a problem for the PS4.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
God of War was teased a logo and a voice over so i don't think that's releasing in 2021

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
For sure God of War isn't coming out and if I was a betting man I'd say neither is Horizon but God of War definitely isn't.

Don't forget Destruction All Stars, GT7, Last of Us 2 PS5 with factions is also coming.

You don't over do it with exclusives for a reason.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall them ever claiming God of War would be a year one title. The franchise has always been a Q1/Q2 boundary release and would fit very well in that slot this cycle.

My guess would be:
Q1/2 - Returnal
Q2/3 - Ratchet & Clank
Q3/Q4 - Horizon
Q1/Q2 2022 - God of War
Q3/Q4 2022 - GT7

Deathloop and Ghostwire are in the hands of studios that just got bought by MS, I doubt Sony is going to have direct input on when they get released at this point.

Sony will likely fill the gaps with some secondary releases they haven't announced yet as well.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
God of war of course ain't coming out. Horizon could be a holiday title that slips into February
For sure God of War isn't coming out and if I was a betting man I'd say neither is Horizon but God of War definitely isn't.

Don't forget Destruction All Stars, GT7, Last of Us 2 PS5 with factions is also coming.

You don't over do it with exclusives for a reason.
People are pretty sure God of War can't happen...

Were they officially announced for 2021?
Yes. They were all announced for 2021.

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
GoW is the only one without a trailer (the teaser doesn't count), so duh?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Sony is pretty good about hitting their release dates but GoW Ragnarok definitely seems like a contender for a delay. The others seem like they'll hit their release date.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would be surprised is we saw God of war or horizon next year, though the latter probably has a better chance.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
God of War...still don't have final name. Jim was like ''let's throw one teaser with no footage to make everyone even more hype and get PS5 during year 1''. Funny they can't meet the demand now.

Oct 27, 2017
God of War felt like it was implied to be launching late into next year so its the most likely candidate for release date adjustment out of 2021. The rest all had the impression that they were launching early enough in the year that delays would just mean they move further into 21 than expected.

I wouldn't mind for any of them to get more time though. Sony has a rep for great exclusives and they should strive to maintain that — especially in the wake of Cyberpunk's mess of a launch.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be very surprised if God of War is anywhere near finished by this time next year.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
If ragnarok somehow comes out I would suspect major crunch, like I know they would of had around 3 years by 2021 but in this day and age that still seems like nothing

the rest seem pretty safe. I'll be perfectly happy with horizon and ratchet and clank

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is pretty good about hitting their release dates but GoW Ragnarok definitely seems like a contender for a delay. The others seem like they'll hit their release date.

Other than insomniac games, I cant remember the last time a Sony studios game hasn't had at least one delay from its original launch date.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
GoW since we have seen the least from it.

I really don't mind, please take all the time you need, we still have plenty to play in 2021.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Other than insomniac games, I cant remember the last time a Sony studios game hasn't had at least one delay from its original launch date.

Hmm...Actually thats a good point. What I should say, is that their delays usually aren't too bad. Were GoW and Horizon delayed?

Oct 30, 2017
God of War is a pipedream unless they actively planned to go the opposite direction of how they led up to the last one. If they really couldn't show more than that logo then frankly I don't know what they were thinking when they slapped 2021 on that trailer.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe in them delivering the games in 2021. But if i had to point to one i would certainly go with GoW. And i'm cool with that. They should take as much time as they need to make it a great game.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Horizon and GoW in 2022. Horizon won't be delayed because of technical reasons but just to give the other exclusives time to breathe

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Poll results are funny.
But yes I think Ragnarok too. Not that I believe it'll get delayed but it is the furthest out of the Sony-published games at least and we have seen less of it than Ghostwire Tokyo so it is the most likely if anyone got delayed past 2021.

Also GT7 targeting 2021 isn't a rumor.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Real answer is Gran Turismo 7, outside GoW, all the ones listed in OP seem like they'd probably make it.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Anything that was slated for the later half of next year originally I expect to get delayed into 2022. Covid wrecked so many pipelines this year I doubt a lot of devs have the ability to make up for all the disruption.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why so many think that GoW will be delayed, when in fact Horizon IMO has bigger chance...

Linear game with few hubs and few big boss battles is easier to make than a large openworld RPG game with hundreds of quests.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
God of war is going to be one of those games that doesn't officially get a release date for awhile and then people will claim it's been delayed dozens of times when it does.

the rest seem pretty safe, in my opinion.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Hmm...Actually thats a good point. What I should say, is that their delays usually aren't too bad. Were GoW and Horizon delayed?
GOW was delayed 4 times iirc but it was entirely new, the sequel can perfectly launch next year unless Covid got substantially in the way of the devs