• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I played it and it was the first vr experience where I lost myself fully in the world of vr, I hit a controller with the floor since I was ducking in real life to check something out and forgot my floor was there. It's the best VR experience I've ever had, and for sure the best VR game ever, however it is a VR game. Most of the HL fans don't have that kind of a headset lying around. I've been waiting since 07 for a continuation, and I was lucky enough to play Alyx, I loved it, and I can't wait to see what's coming in the future

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
It was robbed because of inaccessibility, which is a shame. Everyone who played it is raving about it.

It's easily game of the year.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best games of 2020 easily. And a good showcase of what VR can do in 2-3 years with other gen2 VR games coming this year (or late 2019) showing a big jump on playability.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Personally speaking, the biggest thing working against Half Life Alyx for me was Boneworks also existing this year. For the seasoned VR player that doesn't get motion sick and doesn't care about the story so much, Boneworks simply had more compelling gameplay and, to me anyway, felt like a better successor to Half Life 2 than Alyx did. Alyx is a far more accessible game though, and I don't think it's a worse game than boneworks necessarily, it just had different priorities that didn't fully align with what I wanted.

For those unaware, Boneworks is basically a full physics simulation of absolutely everything, including your own body in the game world. Objects deal damage based on actual physics calculations, everything can be a weapon. Navigation is also far more engaging because of the all physics all the time nature of the game. Half Life Alyx is more of a hybrid approach so that they could really pump up the fidelity of the game via baked lighting (everything you see that looks perfectly situated in Alyx is a completely static object, you can't interact with it). There's 0 physical damage in Alyx, it's use the gun or die. There's plenty of interactivity though and the game oozes charm and passion, don't get me wrong, but the vision and secret sauce of half life was always the physics simulation, so to see an indie game release along side it that was clearly inspired by the series and flat out does it better was a bit of a letdown.

So yeah, in a sense I think Boneworks may have diverted the hype a bit. And if it needs to be said, I highly recommend that game to seasoned VR players.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Easily GOTY. First game that took all VR lessons and applied it masterfully. Its true next gen, contrary to the new consoles or graphics cards. Too bad its gonna be forgotten cause of the very thing that makes it special.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Also, games like HL:A are a step towards increasing VR accessibility. Valve has a vested interest in selling VR sets, improving VR development and making VR more mainstream, and games like this will help them get there, even if it's ultimately still pretty niche compared to consoles/PCs.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a game for well off people with money. You need a PC, a PC VR, a large enough room for PCVR which is also not a feasible set up to those of us that do not own a home and rent. So yeah excluding a bunch of people really hurts it.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
No it wasn't - those who were able to get access to VR at that high end on PC, got to play it and seemingly per user response, loved it, pushing it to the top of user reviews on Steam itself. No amount of marketing is going to change affordability / entry into VR, so why you'd expect it to be changed or any greater with extra Valve communication over the years is quite ridiculous imo. As a series HL has benefited and fufiled its general user base expectation of being something that shifts the bar a bit. I'm still unsure how HL can be as defining a series at this stage beyond something like VR that offer that kind of unique experience.
More so, Valve have complete history of HL series development post-EP2 is now public, and I'd agree with Valve based on what was happening - talking HL over the years would piss people off rather than benefit them.

As for the result, SteamVR as a platform doubled users upon release of HL:A release, which is about as spectacular as expected.
Meanwhile "next gen" only applies for consoles and no doubt PS5 PSVR2 will get some form of port.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I sure as hell didn't forget HL:A came out this year. It's been my GotY since the day it came out. The big problem like everyone here's been saying is accessibility. I seriously hope Valve puts it on PSVR2 when that launches because it deserves to be played by as many people as possible (without compromising on their vision).

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
So yeah, in a sense I think Boneworks may have diverted the hype a bit. And if it needs to be said, I highly recommend that game to seasoned VR players.
Yeah, nah. I think boneworks did some cool stuff, but I can't for the life of me imagine that outside of a extremely tiny group of the tiny vr subset, boneworks took away from alyx hype

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
It's worth considering that despite the horrors of 2020, the games released this year were of incredible quality and variety. So there's a ton of competition as a real factor here as well.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and it's probably the best game I've played this year and my personal GOTY by a country mile. Hopefully it'll win some awards at the end of the year because it definitely deserves them

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I know exactly one other person outside of Era that has played the game. He was my access point for trying it myself. It's just something that nowhere near the average consumer has access to playing it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play it but no VR headset means I can't play it. Looks great though which sucks that I can't really play it

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
Easily GOTY. First game that took all VR lessons and applied it masterfully. Its true next gen, contrary to the new consoles or graphics cards. Too bad its gonna be forgotten cause of the very thing that makes it special.
So true and sad.
But I can imagine hl alyx still being a thing in 3-4 years. Because even in 2024 it'll blow your mind in a way that ps5/series x probably won't be able to if you get your first big boy vr headset then. Due to vr budgetary constraints this will stay the flagship game for some time to come...

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I would love to play this and other VR games, but even the lower end ones are almost as expensive as the new consoles, if not more, it's impossible, and I don't have a good PC to take the best out of it. I think the cheapest one is the PSVR? But it is not worth it at this point.
No idea how is the situation on the US and other countries tho regarding affortability.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Well, Half-Life 2 was on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. And you didn't need to have a beefy PC to run it, even back then.
Alyx went the total opposite direction, being exclusive to highend VR PC.
So yeah, most of the people who wanted a sequel simply couldn't play it.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
for a forgotten game i sure heard more about it than every other VR game combined and even some big games from big companies in the traditional console space

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Nah, the first game that did that was Walking Dead Saints & Sinners which came out a few months earlier. Alyx felt a bit more simplified in comparison, only scoring on production values.

Oct 27, 2017
Played the first 3 Chapters and was quite frankly bored of it at that point and I love the Half-Life series. Supposedly it gets much better and I know it reviewed extremely well but I just can't be bothered really with setting VR (Rift S in my case) up and being tethered. Something like Lone Echo seemed much more interactive and ground-breaking per se compared to what I played in HL Alyx. I hope HL gets the true sequel it deserves some day in traditional game form first with a VR version second (to make everyone happy and leave no one behind).

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Best game that came out this year by far. I'm a lifelong PC gamer and a half-life fan since the first on came out and I would not be disappointed if half-life 3 would also be a VR game.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Between it not meeting my slightly high expectations and the fact that I don't know if I'll ever be able to play it, everytime someone mentions the game I do get a bit surprised it actually exists.

Oct 28, 2017
It wasn't just VR exclusive. It was high end PC VR exclusive. Can't play it on PSVR. Can't play it on standalone Quest or Quest 2. It's not even a matter of buying a headset to play it. I'd have done that. You have to also get a bloody powerful PC on top.

The barrier for entry is too damn high. I am hopeful it will be ported to PSVR2 when that releases.

Nov 27, 2020
United States
I've heard Alyx is amazing and I'd love to play it but unfortunately I don't want to pay up for VR. It's a shame so much of what apparently makes it good is its use of the medium of VR, otherwise I'd watch a playthrough. Maybe someday lol

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I had a capable PC with VR, I'd be all over it. But I have neither, so I'm stuck for now. I'm hoping that it will get rereleased when PSVR comes out with an upgraded HMU, but I'm pretty sure even after the upgraded headset it still won't be released anywhere else. I will get to it eventually, hopefully :\

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
it's a piece of valve software released after 2011, so it doesn't count as a video game. we should all know this by now.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Half-Life Alex not getting nominated for game of the Year at the Game Awards is more of a sign that the nomination process at the game awards is broken, rather than there being anything wrong on Valve's end.

I mean, out of all the amazing games released this past year, Ghost of Tsushima really didn't deserve a nomination. It probably got nominated because more of the judges played it. As for why Ghost got nominated before more remarkable games like Alex, Ori, MS Flight Simulator, or Dreams...it's probably once again simply due to more people playing Ghost, it fitting into a particular genre the Awards show wanted to represent, and the copious amount if money Sony spent over the past 7 years showing in the final product.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I think Alyx will have a long tail as VR becomes more accessible. When Sony rolls out PSVR2, I bet it launches with a strong version of the game. Oculus Quest 2 is another big stab at VR accessibility and probably will come down in price later in 2021. The game will get it's due, but no question it launched to a small userbase.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Don't even pay attention to the awards so means nothing to me it didn't get them. Probably my GOTY 2020 and one of the best games I played in a decade.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Accessibility is a big aspect of it.

But I'd say other games had a similar issue. Final Fantasy VII remake and Kingdom Hearts 3, relative to how long they have been waited for and how much people asked for them, it kinda feels like they kind of aren't getting the attention they should have gotten.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't just VR exclusive. It was high end PC VR exclusive. Can't play it on PSVR. Can't play it on standalone Quest or Quest 2. It's not even a matter of buying a headset to play it. I'd have done that. You have to also get a bloody powerful PC on top.

The barrier for entry is too damn high. I am hopeful it will be ported to PSVR2 when that releases.
I mean sure, you can't play it on any machine but even the old GTX970 worked well with my Vive for this game so I really wouldn't call it high end PC VR exclusive.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's VR and it needs a beefy PC.

It immediately pushes its self into a corner and, no matter how good it is, it's not feasible for a vast majority of people to play, even in enthusiast groups.

The people doing award shows and nominations aren't an exception, they're still people and probably had similar issues.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't and won't care about games released exclusively for VR, no matter what games these are.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I played Alyx just fine on a PC from 2015, fyi. This whole "beefy pc" thing isn't true. I do agree that the price of the VR hardware has to be more accomodating, but the Quest lineup is very much there in terms of price and quality.
A 2015 PC is still more than a lot of people have though. I had a PC around that time that I bet could fairly handle Alyx at low or medium, but PC is such an awkward platform for lots of people.

Alyx will maybe have its time to shine when it comes to PS5 VR, if that ever happens. At that point tho I don't know how they reboot the hype cycle, will people care as much.

I have a beefy PC now but VR just isn't on my radar. Maybe if REVII and VIII will get ported to VR I'd consider it