• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
...you know. The franchise people have been BEGGING to see a game for since 2007.

Now the game reviewed well, and to be fair to it, came out for a niche platform that limited who could actually play it.

But for me it's all those years of Valve downplaying the development of a Half Life game (in any shape or form) that people have forgotten this game even came out this year. What should've been the next gaming event was quickly forgotten so much that it didn't even get nominated in big end of year award shows. All because of how badly Valve managed the marketing behind their biggest IP.

The return of Half Life wasn't a bang, but a whimper.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It's really not the marketing though, it's the inaccessibility of VR.

You need a beefy PC, a decent amount of living space (ideally, if not mandatory) and of course the device itself.

It's just not attainable for most people

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel like nobody gave a rats ass about kingdom hearts 3 after it came out either.

You draw the fuck outta these games that people asked for years and than its forgotten quickly. If they ever do a non vr release I'll play it.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be regarded as one of if not the best game released for VR, and a must-play for anyone with a compatible headset.

Not sure what you were hoping for but that sounds good to me.

Oct 25, 2017
it was my personal GOTY by far!!! and my first "mario 64" moment since the dreamcast for me personally (would that make it the "dreamcast moment? hah)

Kickfister

May 9, 2019

You need a beefy PC, a decent amount of living space (ideally, if not mandatory) and of course the device itself.

It's a good seated experience as well, in fairness. I don't disagree with you though, just thought that was worth mentioning :p

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This.

I still haven't played and don't know if I will ever play it.

Oct 27, 2017
These "A game came out that didn't meet my arbitrary personal expectations" threads are always so weird. It reviewed well, it moved VR headsets, and people who played it overwhelmingly liked it. I doubt Valve cares that a video game award show didn't give it an award.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Innaccessibility is the issue here. It requires
A decently beefy pc on top of not inexpensive vr equipment. Plus its limited in its reach. Its not like half life 2, which came not only to pc, but xbox, xbox 360, and ps3 as well. Most of my friends, myself included, played half life 2 in the orange box on 360 or ps3

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't think it's surprising that a high-end PCVR game is, to some extent, flying under the awards radar. PCVR in general is under-represented in gaming media, and in select cases I suspect other games are being nominated in its stead because of concern there'd be vocal pushback on the basis it's a game "nobody" can play (e.g. Doom Eternal being nominated for GOTY at the TGAs).

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be a VR exclusive title that breaks through until VR is everywhere, and that may never happen. The fact that it also released right at the start of this Coronavirus shit doesn't help either.

It seemed to have done as well as they could have expected, though. And it's my personal GOTY by a margin.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
That's what happens when 99% of people who want to play it can't be bothered to buy a VR headset, the game kinda launches and gets little repercussion and discussion online.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
And from what I've heard it's one of the best games of the year.

Kinda sad that it's so inaccessible.

Truth be told about game awards, they center a lot around a specific type of game with mobile and VR stuff being vastly ignored.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I mean I forget shit like Doom Eternal and AC came out this years sometimes; it's been a weird fucking year for starters.

But yeah it's not exactly an accessible title either, which is certainly making its notoriety slip way more under the radar.

It's the best VR game that exists though, so I certainly won't blame them for just goin' for it despite it being kind of a shot in the foot to itself.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Not a fan of what it does with the story. Still looked and felt authentic otherwise. Hopefully it succeeds nicely without Marc Laidlaw, but I really think he was the source of that mystical quality that drew me to the IP originally.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like it released exclusively on a platform most people don't have access to.

Oct 27, 2017
This seems a bit weird. It came out the same month that literally everyone went into lockdown and money became tight. Yet despite that it caused the Index to be sold out for months due to demand.

They wanted to make a high end VR experience and they succeeded.

But this year is weird.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Its because it is due to vr. I played it and I will not forget it. I loved it just as much as I did when I played hl back in the day and when I installed steam for hl2 for first time

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty big deal and engendered a lot of discussion in a bunch of gaming spheres. I think just so many dramatic things occured in 2020 that it feels like a dimmer event than it really might have been.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I played Alyx just fine on a PC from 2015, fyi. This whole "beefy pc" thing isn't true. I do agree that the price of the VR hardware has to be more accomodating, but the Quest lineup is very much there in terms of price and quality.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The obstacles of VR were bad enough. The obstacles of VR during COVID were impossible to overcome.

It was the yin to Animal Crossing's yang

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Was saving this for a new PC, and now I have it so it's time to buy this. Thanks for the reminder OP!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't fault Valve for wanting to keep it VR only but it on consoles and there will be a huge surge of popularity.

I've been waiting for a Half-Life sequel for over ten years but I'm not even watching the videos for this until I can play it, hopefully with PSVR2. Once that happens I'll be there day 1.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
It came out to near-universal acclaim, will be nominated for plenty of awards and is incredibly popular with the people who play the platform that it's on. Idk what else Valve could do.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest it's hardly Valve's fault if Alyx is not chosen for the VGAs while stuff like Ghost of Tsushima is.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Access is a major determinate in something's lasting appeal. If people haven't played it, they won't advocate for it.

It's why amazing indie artists and movies rarely get featured at the Oscars or Grammys.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously there's not a lot of buzz around it, few people played it. It was the best VR game when it came out and it still is. Everyone that's interested in VR will probably play it at some point. Also... what's there to talk about? It released and it's good.

it didn't even get nominated in big end of year award shows
What do you mean? What award shows? There is The Game Awards, where it got nominated. What else? From what I can find lots of websites haven't made their nominees/winners public yet. Most websites are probably waiting on Cyberpunk.

Edit: Also it's the best selling VR game. So it's not a marketing fail. I really don't get your point OP. Can you elaborate further on why you think Alyx was a whimper and why it matters?

Last edited:

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's VR, plain and simple. If it wasn't, everyone would still be talking about it and it would probably win every award it's nominated for. Most of us noped the fuck out as soon as VR was mentioned. If they release a non VR version, or if they do another regular Half-Life game everyone will be all over it.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
It would be interresting if videogame awards published a full disclosure both of how their judges voted and how many of the nominated games the judges actually played. Of course they would never do that because it would delegitimise the awards when it became known many of the judges don't play all the nominated games so can't have truly voted objectively.

And that, in a winding way, is why Half Life Alyx wasn't nominated at all- not because it isn't really good but because most games journalists haven't played it because they don't have the hardware to play it.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it has much to do with marketing. It released on a niche platform in a niche gaming market. Game of the Year is largely a popularity contest, so its no surprise that it doesnt get much attention outside of VR specific categories.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
It's sure to win some GOTYs (going by reviews) although yes most people (including me) didn't play it.

But you know having played Black Mesa for the first time this year I loved it. So whenever they put it up on PSVR 2 or whatever is gonna be the best selling VR thing this decade...valve games age alright.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I don't have a VR device and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, so it may as well not have come out at all to me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
VR is still largely inaccessible, so in practice it feels like we never got a HL game.
We all know why an otherwise good game has been ignored, and it's because as a VR game, it just isn't as mainstream or accessible as other games.

Guess what? I don't have a VR headset. I like Half-Life. I'd like to play Half-Life Alyx. No, I don't feel compelled to spend hundreds of dollars on a VR headset or upgrade my PC just for this one game.

And that's the situation for the vast majority of players.

It reminds me of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure or Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - both legitimately good games, but if you want the best experience you have to have a ton of extra hardware, and at some point that hurdle is just too costly or inconvenient for most players, no matter how fun the games are.

I STILL wish I could play Half-Life Alyx easily. I've waited a LONG time for a proper new Half-Life game.

But I'm not in a position to do so at this time. Maybe never.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Wonderful game that will probably just about be my personal GOTY however inaccessibility will always be a significant issue and I am not really surprised it wouldn't top broader lists.