• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a law or something in the US that says you can't typically report when something is officially labelled a suicide or something. I remember seeing it in a thread. Makes sense generally until you see heinous stuff like this that is super questionable
It's not a law, just an agreement among journalists to prevent copycat suicides.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a law or something in the US that says you can't typically report when something is officially labelled a suicide or something. I remember seeing it in a thread. Makes sense generally until you see heinous stuff like this that is super questionable

Edit: even if this were a bunch of suicides, it still would mean that a bunch of black men are in such despair that they are taking their lives in an incredibly violent way to send a message about the US. Shit's disturbing no matter how you try and rationalise it.

It's considered good journalistic practice, to serve the public interest by avoiding copycat suicides and out of deference to the victims and their families. Here's some press guidelines from Crisis Services Canada going into more detail. But more recently, journalists have discussed whether the approach of avoiding suicide reportage at all costs is the best way forward. Increasingly there is concern that keeping silent on suicides can be harmful in its own way, and that thoughtful and responsible reporting on suicide it not only possible but necessary for the public interest.

That's not the same as reporting every suicide in the newspaper; that arguably isn't thoughtful or responsible, as it reduces people to a public entry in a police blotter. But something like this, where there's a rash of similar events and it's questionable whether they can all be attributed to suicides, is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Locally I've seen some suspect "suicides" over the last few years. It's been my person opinion that when the deceased is poor/bipoc/disabled, law enforcement doesn't bother investigating and just labels the death as a suicide to make their own lives easier.

A black man died by hanging in a tree and they rule it suicide? C'mon now.

And there's been a significant uptick in these alleged "suicide of a bipoc by hanging in a tree", and we all know what they really are is lynchings.

Honestly I have a hard time with the fact that in the year 2020 people are going around lynching other people and it doesn't make the news. The only reason I know about them is because I read about them on the internet. This is so unacceptable to me, so wrong, so evil, it fills me with despair.

This a serious issue that should be plastered all over the CNN/MSNBC/Fox evening news every single night until the FBI or federal government does something about it.

I really feel like we are kidding ourselves, thinking we're somehow more progressive and enlightened than our ancestors. New generation, same old systemic oppression. Just hidden or dressed differently but what's really changed?

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
There's even a video on Reddit with several white people about to lynch a black person before realizing they're being recorded.
The far right is obsessed with lynchings. They yearn so badly for a time when they could so easily and viscerally enforce white supremacy with ritualistic murder. And all of these recent "suicides" by hanging from a tree are evidence that they feel emboldened to start it again. It's terrifying and tragic and my heart goes out to the black community that has to see this spectra rise again.

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's considered good journalistic practice, to serve the public interest by avoiding copycat suicides and out of deference to the victims and their families. Here's some press guidelines from Crisis Services Canada going into more detail. But more recently, journalists have discussed whether the approach of avoiding suicide reportage at all costs is the best way forward. Increasingly there is concern that keeping silent on suicides can be harmful in its own way, and that thoughtful and responsible reporting on suicide it not only possible but necessary for the public interest.

That's not the same as reporting every suicide in the newspaper; that arguably isn't thoughtful or responsible, as it reduces people to a public entry in a police blotter. But something like this, where there's a rash of similar events and it's questionable whether they can all be attributed to suicides, is a different kettle of fish altogether.
Exactly what I was thinking. At this point there's a pattern and it's an obvious one that should be taken up by a major news organisation.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Malcolm Harsch, there was a thread posted on this a few weeks ago when people thought it was suspicious.
It's unfortunate, but at least the family doesn't have to worry about what really happened to him.

IIRC, there were some strange circumstances around it that definitely warranted an investigation such as the police not doing an autopsy for 12 days and how his family had talked to him not long before and he said how he wanted to see his kids soon and didn't seem suicidal to them or anyone that knew him.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate, but at least the family doesn't have to worry about what really happened to him.

IIRC, there were some strange circumstances around it that definitely warranted an investigation such as the police not doing an autopsy for 12 days and how his family had talked to him not long before and he said how he wanted to see his kids soon and didn't seem suicidal to them or anyone that knew him.
In his case, there weren't any strange circumstances. It is unfortunate, but we need to remember that just because someone doesn't seem suicidal doesn't mean that they aren't. People are good at hiding.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
In his case, there weren't any strange circumstances. It is unfortunate, but we need to remember that just because someone doesn't seem suicidal doesn't mean that they aren't. People are good at hiding.
I think you are referring to there not being evidence of foul play as there "not being any strange circumstances", but some of that can only be determined in hindsight in light of an actual investigation. Him having blood on his shirt could have been evidence of a struggle, being a black man being hung from a tree in a public area raises potential red flags, if there is no autopsy being done, they aren't doing a toxicology report or a medical examination of the body to verify the cause of death, if there is no note, no communication to others about their depression or suicidal thoughts, and the family didn't even find out about his death from the Sheriff department but from a friend and had to reach out to the department themselves to confirm, there is a lot of gaps there where I'm not surprised if the family is skeptical.

Of course a suicide may just be a suicide and you may not be able to find the answers you hope to find, but if the police eventually found video evidence that shows exactly what happened that they didn't bother to look for when they ruled it a suicide, I think it shows that some cases deserve to have an investigation that goes a bit further, because if that video showed evidence of foul play, they were previously just willing to write it off when there was clear evidence right down the street of what actually happened.