• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Change.org petition

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
this is surreal so I'm probably not gonna be able to get all of what I want to say out but holy shit

His name was Amani Kildea, he was 20 years old, graduated army reserves basic and was going to college in the fall. Also part of an amateur pedophile sting operation that tried to entrap pedophiles and people are suggesting that may be why. Some authorities give reasons as to why doing this stuff yourself isn't recommended which makes sense but also uh... kinda needed if the authorities are in on it or not doing anything like in that other town a week or two ago.

Morris County prosecutor ruled it a suicide and the family didn't protest that but there was backlash and they're re-examining the case (as they should even if it does end up being a suicide). He was found an hour from his house too and there's some other things that the articles talk about as to why the local BLM chapter is demanding a better investigation and whatnot

www.google.com

Amani Kildea, the 20-Year-Old Ethiopian American Found Hanging in New Jersey

Amani Kildea - full name Amanuel Tamirat Kildea - was the 20-year-old Ethiopian American found hanging in Morris County, New Jersey, according to the Daily Record.

Shit is crazy, hope the family can find peace and answers throughout all of this.

Last edited:

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The idea that anyone could rule a black man hanging from a tree as "suicide" is just insane.

These are lynchings. Every single one of them.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck. That's crazy.

Hope that there's closure for his family.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The idea that anyone could rule a black man hanging from a tree as "suicide" is just insane.

The ruling was apparently done with no investigation either. Like there's a very small possibility that it was a suicide but come the fuck on

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure his race was the issue here, I think he had stepped on some toes and was getting too close to some information.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017

There have been three others, right? I haven't heard a peep about any of those, and hanging from a tree in public cannot be ruled a suicide. I hope we don't lose the momentum on these people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm not sure his race was the issue here, I think he had stepped on some toes and was getting too close to some information.
There were other people in the group too though. The fact that they hung him from a tree is deliberately because of his race even if that's not the first reason why he was targeted.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't see how one can dissociate the imagery/race here.

Even if we assume it's because he stepped on some toes, the decision to hang a black man from a tree comes with baggage, history, and symbolism.

If he got too close to something and you're trying to tell people to not look closer...hanging a black man from a tree would be the last thing you should do.

FlyingLlama

Oct 29, 2017
...you really don't think his race came in to play when he was hung from a tree.......??????????????????????

No I don't unless I'm missing something? I genuinely think he upset some people and whoever had done so would suffer the same fate.

What makes you think it was racial? Genuine question by the way.

Edit: as pointed out above the history completely went over my head here and I can only apologise for missing that.

R.I.P to him and I hope his family get the justice they deserve.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No I don't unless I'm missing something? I genuinely think he upset some people and whoever had done so would suffer the same fate.

I mean there are a lot of ways to kill someone. To make a public display out of it with a black man hanging from a tree is... loaded to say the least.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

It has to do with the history of lynchings in the US which were a favored method of murdering black people by white supremacists

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This was a murder no doubt in my mind. Probably to cover their own crimes he was in the process of exposing. Whoever did this needs the book thrown at them.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, another black man "committing suicide" by hanging themselves from a tree for public display. I just can't anymore, burn it all fucking down.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the county is scared shitless of this being classified as a federal hate crime scene. Were there no nearby cameras?

Oct 31, 2017

Edit: as pointed out above the history completely went over my head here and I can only apologise for missing that.

I hate how often people make big declarative statements that somehow overlook glaring basic information especially when it comes to topics of race

Oct 30, 2017
I've been following these cases and a few weeks ago one was shown to be a suicide as the family members were shown a video from a nearby building. Suicide is fucked up and complicated and I while we can and should demand more answers I think immediately dismissing it is problematic.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck out of here with all of these immediate suicide rulings. Absolutely disgusting.

RIP Amani

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I promise all of you, no black man is hanging himself with a noose from a tree. Fuck that.

...OMG this happened in my state. WTF.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
For anybody wanting to know why Black people aren't quick to buy the story that these are suicides we're looking at, look at this video:

This is the National Memorial for Peace and Justice in Alabama. It is hard to visit this place and not shed a tear.

Each column hanging from the ceiling represents a US county, engraved on which are the names of every Black person hung from a tree in that county.

So please understand if some of us aren't quick to buy the provided excuse that all of these recent incidents are suicides.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I don't understand why the authorities are that quick to rule it as a suicide. After all these protests, they should know that people will never accept it without a proper investigation. It only makes them look bad when they don't do an investigation.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Each column hanging from the ceiling represents a US county, engraved on which are the names of every Black person hung from a tree in that county.
I thought each column was a single victim, but a county? Goes without saying this country is just fucking evil.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm not sure how far you are from Morristown but this is something I didn't expect to happen there.

taro

Oct 25, 2017
After reading the other thread where the guy was threatened with lynching among other things, I was all too happy that we didn't see that occur. Now to read this, it just sucks. RIP to Amani 20 is so young.

BumbaT BrowN

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there is justice for Amanis death one day. Sorry, but what I really meant was I hope there is vengeance for Amani's death, justice is too good for these racist pedos.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
If he'd 'stepped on toes' there are a million different ways to kill someone that doesn't have the history of a lynching.

Very clearly linked to his skin colour.

Quick question - who is the official responsible for assessing and declaring cause of death inthis county/state?

Might seem like a random question, but after reading 'Democracy in Chains' and Koch's machinations to place r-wingers into state legal roles it would be worth finding out if that official is a member of any of the lobby groups, think tanks or other networks like Americans for Prosperity.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there are many cases of suicides that police don't look into because there are many common signs that it's a suicide, but I'm sure there are also cases where the police just overlook other signs willfully or incompetently and don't look any further when there could be some potential of foul play just based on the circumstances.

I also wonder how often the family just accepts the police story that it was suicide despite any personal doubts or disbelief.

I've been following these cases and a few weeks ago one was shown to be a suicide as the family members were shown a video from a nearby building. Suicide is fucked up and complicated and I while we can and should demand more answers I think immediately dismissing it is problematic.
Which case was this with the video?

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are many cases of suicides that police don't look into because there are many common signs that it's a suicide, but I'm sure there are also cases where the police just overlook other signs willfully or incompetently and don't look any further when there could be some potential of foul play just based on the circumstances.

I also wonder how often the family just accepts the police story that it was suicide despite any personal doubts or disbelief.

Which case was this with the video?
Malcolm Harsch, there was a thread posted on this a few weeks ago when people thought it was suspicious.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
No offense to this kid and not trying to joke about his death, but this form of vigilantism always seemed self serving to me. So easy to take the moral high ground. Seems more about relishing in the shaming of would be criminals rather than protecting kids.

The name of his group, "pedo got caught," speaks to that sensationalism of justice.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to keep making this point. It's understandable why people would jump to foul play in these situations given historical context, but it's still quite likely these are suicides.

When a hanging victim is found, someone doesn't flip a coin to determine whether it's a suicide or foul play, foul play is usually readily apparent. There are other indicators, like whether the hands are bound or not, that also makes it obvious.

I still think it's a bit distasteful to try to make lynching narratives out of suicides that not even the family is contesting.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Dozens of black people have been found hanging from trees over the last month or so and there's been almost 0 mainstream media coverage of it.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
In one of the comments attached to the article in the OP, a commenter states that this guy's pedo-hunter group had outed "the Netcong mayor's pedo kid" which, isn't that like four towns over? I'm not super familiar with NJ suburban geography but aren't a lot of these places filled with suburban "law and order" racist republicans?

Someone else mentions their group outed a violent cop. Sounds like these guys were inadvertently stepping on some bigger toes. It's really horrible what happened to this guy, so I hope the spotlight brings him justice and helps root out some of the local thugs, racists, and feudalistic criminals along the way.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Dozens of black people have been found hanging from trees over the last month or so and there's been almost 0 mainstream media coverage of it.
I've only heard of 3 or 4? The one in Palmdale was a suicide as there was video from a building security camera that caught the entire incident. CNN had an article that updated it a week after it happened.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm going to keep making this point. It's understandable why people would jump to foul play in these situations given historical context, but it's still quite likely these are suicides.

When a hanging victim is found, someone doesn't flip a coin to determine whether it's a suicide or foul play, foul play is usually readily apparent. There are other indicators, like whether the hands are bound or not, that also makes it obvious.

I still think it's a bit distasteful to try to make lynching narratives out of suicides that not even the family is contesting.
Even if it was a suicide, how is that possible to hang from a tree, like was it a really low branch, and why do it publicly hanging from a tree an hour away from the home?

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Isn't there a law or something in the US that says you can't typically report when something is officially labelled a suicide or something. I remember seeing it in a thread. Makes sense generally until you see heinous stuff like this that is super questionable

Edit: even if this were a bunch of suicides, it still would mean that a bunch of black men are in such despair that they are taking their lives in an incredibly violent way to send a message about the US. Shit's disturbing no matter how you try and rationalise it.