• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So I live in Sweden and I just noticed that PS5 is launching for a mighty 5990 SEK, which is what PS3 launched for.
499 USD = 499 EUR = 5990 SEK... How???
I don't even know who to be angry at. My country, Sony, currency conversion, retailers? It just sucks.
And now I seriously fear what the €80 game prices will end up here if €499 is 5990SEK. 1000 SEK for games??
:(
I feel you Fredrik, I live in Sweden too and my pre-order is on the standard for 5999SEK which is = 683,44 USD. Isn't this largely due to our VAT + tax for electronics (kemikalieskatt) which was implemented not so long ago and also retailers taking their cut? It sucks and Sony raising their prices for first-party games is bad.

Demon's Souls at Spelbutiken is at 848 SEK = 96,63 USD. Of course, our prices always include VAT.

zIymMZ7.png

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I feel you Fredrik, I live in Sweden too and my pre-order is on the standard for 5999SEK which is = 683,44 USD. Isn't this largely due to our VAT + tax for electronics (kemikalieskatt) which was implemented not so long ago and also retailers taking their cut? It sucks and Sony raising their prices for first-party games is bad.

Demon's Souls at Spelbutiken is at 848 SEK = 96,63 USD
zIymMZ7.png
Jävla lyxhobby :(

Dec 8, 2018
So I live in Sweden and I just noticed that PS5 is launching for a mighty 5990 SEK, which is what PS3 launched for.
I don't even know who to be angry at. My country, Sony, currency conversion, retailers? It just sucks.
And now I seriously fear what the €80 game prices will end up here if €499 is 5990SEK. 1000 SEK for games??
:(

You live in Sweden (like I do) and you don't know we basically been screwed with prices a whole gen. If you want the answer it's because we pay a higher tax than other countries.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Op you live in one of the best places on the planet. No hurt in being screwed once in a while :p
j/k

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
What does that company have to do with video games?
Nordisk Film distributes Playstations across nordics and offers customer support.

They also increase the price of the consoles and games here so.. theyre pretty much the reason for this thread, not taxes or politics about healthcare like some seem to think...

Jun 20, 2018
I do think the percentage price rise for stuff in Europe is pretty crazy, but converting currency based on exchange rates isn't really a great barometer either. The PS4 launched in the UK at £350, which at the time was $570. By the time the PS4 Pro launched, £350 had become $422. To the people in the UK, £350 was still £350, but that's a huge difference to Sony when calculating profit on hardware, and would almost certainly be the difference between a profit and a loss.

An exchange rate is not usually a good way to judge the value of things in different countries, but it gets even more complicated when these companies will be converting it all to dollars to work out their financials.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Disc version is 5899 here in Norway ($650). 4799 for digital.

With games costing 700-800kr I probably won't buy them until they go on sale except for maybe a handful per year.

Average wages in Norway are higher than in say the UK and US though...I don't think it is surprising if prices are higher. People can afford higher, so maybe they think they can get away with it?

Yeah, I suppose it is higher taxes.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Det är sjukt. Hopefully, third-party publishers don't take after Sony with raising prices on their games. Take-Two already has. I wonder if the retailers would start undercutting each other a bit if these games don't fly off the shelves.
This always happens. If you bought the digital edition ps5 you'll be fucked though. That extra 1000 kronor for the disc reader is going to get recouped before too long

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Det är sjukt. Hopefully, third-party publishers don't take after Sony with raising prices on their games. Take-Two already has. I wonder if the retailers would start undercutting each other a bit if these games don't fly off the shelves.
That might unfortunately be some wishful thinking. If the big pubs do it AND the platform does it? Then what hope do we have? Maybe indies will stick to their pricing models (more or less), but the big players are the ones that kind of take the PR hit so that everyone else can follow suit.

I will be very interested to see how MS does this.

I only get this page

www.elgiganten.dk

Xbox Series X og Series S | Elgiganten

Xbox Series X og Series S - nogle af de hotteste konsoller er endelig tilgængelige på markedet.
Weird and hidden, but it's there. (3899)

Xbox Series X 1 TB (sort) - Xbox One konsol - Elgiganten

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
VAT
Chemical tax

To be honest, I am surprised the swedish prices arent higher than it is considering how heavy the machines are, I believe it's 160 sek per kg and both the XSX and PS5 are quite heavy I expect more :P

No matter, Sweden has always had high prices on hardware but up until this gen games has always been pretty decently priced for full priced games.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That might unfortunately be some wishful thinking. If the big pubs do it AND the platform does it? Then what hope do we have? Maybe indies will stick to their pricing models (more or less), but the big players are the ones that kind of take the PR hit so that everyone else can follow suit.

I will be very interested to see how MS does this.

Weird and hidden, but it's there. (3899)

Xbox Series X 1 TB (sort) - Xbox One konsol - Elgiganten

Tak, det var akkurat det jeg søgte efter... Now I can see the payment service .. 6 months for 679,00 kr. a month... not to bad..

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty absurd. I assume the VAT is quite high in Sweden too, but it's still notably more than the price here in Finland. Interestingly I noticed Xbox Series X is around €30 cheaper at every store I checked even though they are the same price in USD.

Nov 2, 2017
You live in Sweden (like I do) and you don't know we basically been screwed with prices a whole gen. If you want the answer it's because we pay a higher tax than other countries.
That doesn't explain the price difference though. VAT here is 21% while in Sweden VAT is 25%. That's not much higher yet the price is €75 more. So the answer isn't in the taxes.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
US Folk: what, $70 games, damn!!

EU Folk: You think that's bad, we're paying 80€ ($95)

Sweden folk: Hold my beer.

Yes, I know Sweden is EU... just go with it!
Sorry, but my pedantry is not letting you away with the Sweden and EU gaffe, and the fact you put the € sign after the amount, but not with the dollar,🤪

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't surprise me, everything is so much more expensive in Sweden even compared to places like London. I'll never forget paying 9-10EUR for a sandwich and a bottle of water in Stockholm.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017

The SEK is getting stronger against a lot of currencies, so you have that going. Maybe wait for a while and get a unit from a euro-country like Germany. Currently the conversion is 499e = 5196 SEK, and it'll probably improve a bit more in the months to come.

The chemical-tax is pure stupidity and should be repelled, but of course politicians love to look like they're doing something for the environment even if it's completely misguided.

Last edited:

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The US price doesn't include tax because we are silly like that. Still that's expensive.
That's because it varies even on a per-city basis. Sales tax in the US is anywhere from 0% to 10.25% (yikes, Chicago). Makes adding the sales tax to item prices pretty much impossible for marketing.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the EU and got mine preordered at €499, so it's not Sony or the retailers.
It's your country.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Price for consumer electronics has been very high for a good while here, it is thanks to high VAT, chemical tax and the anti piracy storage 'tax'. Nordisk FIlm who distribute barely have anything to do with it. Maybe 100-150 SEK (10-15 euro) at the most.

And also no, none of the tax that is collected from VAT and those other taxes goes to 'free' healthcare. Healthcare isnt run by the government here but county councils (translation from landsting) that tax is collected directly from your paycheck.

The government can provide some extra funds to healthcare but that money is miniscule from all that is collected from VAT etc.

The chemical tax they said was to be 'for the enviroment' but instead people buy from Amazon DE much more which increase transports by plane and trucking. While companies here lose costumers.

Last edited:

Maddox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there still a site in sweden where you can preorder it ? I missed out my opportunity on elgiganten

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
That's because it varies even on a per-city basis. Sales tax in the US is anywhere from 0% to 10.25% (yikes, Chicago). Makes adding the sales tax to item prices pretty much impossible for marketing.
This is probably off-topic, but why is this even a thing in the US? Why no federal sales tax? I don't know a single European country that has varying sales taxes on a state/county/city level. It's just so bizarre.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It doesn't surprise me, everything is so much more expensive in Sweden even compared to places like London. I'll never forget paying 9-10EUR for a sandwich and a bottle of water in Stockholm.
lol you got ripped off haha

where did you pay that much for that? at the airport? i'm in stockholm and just paid 7.5 euro for a takeaway lunch, including salad, bread and coffee. minced lamb skewers with potato and goat cheese gratin. should be good.

KingOfIceland

Oct 28, 2017
Iceland
The situation here in Iceland is pretty much the same, Elko has the Digital edition at 80.000kr ($588, €495, £452) and the regular at 100.000kr ($735, €619, £566), I'll be interrested to see if the Xboxes are similarly priced as the other nordic countries, If so I might cancel my preorder for the digital edition and wait to upgrade.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Taxes are a part of it, but this mostly has to do with Nordisk Film being cheap assholes as usual. Remember, they tried to sell the PS4 at launch for 5000SEK but backed down like a week or two before release and released it at 4000.
they're sony's distributor in sweden. still, this has more to with taxes than with nordisk film
This is not true, you dont think other countries have taxes? Just look at the netherlands, similiar tax rates, yet the PS5 is 499€.

PS5 should be at most 5500 SEK, anything above that is all on Nordisk Film.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is not true, you dont think other countries have taxes? Just like at the netherlands, similiar tax rates, yet the PS5 is 499€.

PS5 should be at most 5500 SEK, anything above that is all on Nordisk Film.
not many other countries have a tax on chemicals in electronic products, which works out at over €10 per kg of console

reading the thread before replying probably helps

HouseAR

May 17, 2020
Considering the average Swedish and especially Norwegian salaries, it's still more affordable than paying it 499USD/499€ in most countries of the world.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Elgiganten Swedish prices:
PS5 - 5990 kr - $682
Series X - 5695 kr - $649
PS5 DE - 4990 kr - $568
Series S - 3595 kr - $410

Found it weird that you have to search for Xbox specifically in order to find it. I kinda guess that, with elgiganten have parter with Xbox for the All Access program, that it would be easier to find. Then I guess that the thing Xbox were supposed to have if not for the leaks would have been about today

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
lol you got ripped off haha

where did you pay that much for that? at the airport? i'm in stockholm and just paid 7.5 euro for a takeaway lunch, including salad, bread and coffee. minced lamb skewers with potato and goat cheese gratin. should be good.
At the airport a single sandwich costs 10EUR lol. It was somewhere in central Stockholm in a mini supermarket. I have no doubt I got ripped off haha, but you get ripped off in every country's busiest areas and that was still more expensive than usual. Anyway, this is all a bit off-topic, and for sure doesn't make Sweden-ERA feel better for the whole situation...