• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Really curious about their next game. I wonder if it'll be in the same sort of GaaS/multiplayer ballpark as SoT or if it will be more of a single player focused game more akin to their older stuff?

I know they have a second team supposedly working on a new IP, but are there any job postings that hint towards what kind of game it is? Any indications of any kind at all?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Did they change the combat at all? That was the most disappointing part for me. Everything was so floaty. Melee and guns didn't have any impact.

No. They've done some balancing for the shotgun (blunder) and sniper (eye of the reach), but they haven't changed the core of the combat.

Maybe they will for the Arena mode, who knows.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. They've done some balancing for the shotgun (blunder) and sniper (eye of the reach), but they haven't changed the core of the combat.

Maybe they will for the Arena mode, who knows.
Me coming back to the game depends on it. It's too simplistic, and thus extremely repetitive for me to enjoy. As soon as they make a more satisfying melee system with weight and heft to it, I'd love to jump back in, even if they still continue to use skeletons (which is also irritating me, due to lack of enemy types)

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Me coming back to the game depends on it. It's too simplistic, and thus extremely repetitive for me to enjoy. As soon as they make a more satisfying melee system with weight and heft to it, I'd love to jump back in, even if they still continue to use skeletons (which is also irritating me, due to lack of enemy types)

Don't get yourself excited. I don't think it's a priority for Rare at the moment. Improving the combat could give PC players a huge advantage. So they'll be very careful with it.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
I want a pet parrot that does nothing but say snide sarcastic remarks at you

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've grown more and more intrigued by this game over the months. There is this funny clip of Summit playing this game that tells me this is exactly my kind of game.

Too fucking good. That interaction with other players and fucking with them.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool?

I mean wouldn't it of been better to wait to release it with all this extra content? I played it on gamepass for around 2 hours and literally had no idea what the point was, it's probably the most boring couple of hours I've ever played. Would all this extra content of made a difference? I don't know but I won't waste time downloading it again finding out because of that first impression.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cool?

I mean wouldn't it of been better to wait to release it with all this extra content? I played it on gamepass for around 2 hours and literally had no idea what the point was, it's probably the most boring couple of hours I've ever played. Would all this extra content of made a difference? I don't know but I won't waste time downloading it again finding out because of that first impression.
Cool?

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I mean I imagine it's a cool thing in this day and age to add these expansions and no MTX but I can't comment fully because I haven't returned to it because of those first impressions I had. Maybe if they delayed the game slightly and had these expansions in since the start plus the zero mtx (which is always a good thing) i'd of had a better first time experience.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They're better off with Fortnite style mtx to get people logging in weekly rather than quarterly for the big updates. People make too much noise about mtx then complain when there isn't enough content or goals to chase. Micro-transactions should be viewed as a spectrum, they aren't all bad.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They're better off with Fortnite style mtx to get people logging in weekly rather than quarterly for the big updates. People make too much noise about mtx then complain when there isn't enough content or goals to chase. Micro-transactions should be viewed as a spectrum, they aren't all bad.
There is. Its called Bilge Rate adventures. That happens between the big updates.

I have a feeling this game barely has a playerbase these days. But no MTX is a positive at least.

All about that feeling.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If sea of thieves performed better out the gate, you can bet your ass they'd have mtx in by now.
First of all it by most metrics it performed extremely well out of the gate.

Secondly, if it weren't for Gamepass it'd either have had microtransactions from the start or it wouldn't have had anywhere near as much free content or support.

Gamepass provides a continuous revenue source which allows the Devs to continue supporting the game without necessarily needing to implement microtransactions. I don't know how so many people seem to struggle with this fairly simple idea.

Deleted member 12447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you imagine paying for stuff at a game this poorly put together? it would be like paying for stuff in fallout 76.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Could you imagine paying for stuff at a game this poorly put together? it would be like paying for stuff in fallout 76.

To each their own, but Sea of Thieves in my opinion is not poorly put together. You should look at the Digital Foundry video on the game at release.

They've made gameplay decisions that not everyone likes and they should've waited with releasing the game a little bit so they could add more questing and threats. But poorly put together? Why do you think that?

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm not sure what the MTX would even be for, everything in the game is cosmetic and it doesn't even take long to build up credits (other than pirate legend content).

Having said that Sea of Thieves is an incredible game. Just some of the stories of the crazy adventures people have in the game is exactly why the game is so fun. Just tonight I was doing an Athena quest and had some order of souls on Rum runner isle and we see a galleon coming straight for us (we were in a brig) we set sail and blast right pass them and hit them with an anchorball and sail full speed to Sanctuary to get rid of the loot we have on board. We get there and just got the last chest off our ship and decided to scuttle just to mess with the other crew. We stood at the jetty and waved at them as they came in to dock as our ship sank. Then I remembered we had 3 gunpowder barrels still on the ship which floated up and I was able take out some of them in a final stand.

That was just a short 10min window in a game filled with amazing and hilarious moments like that. Sea of thieves is a game where it does not hold your hand, it doesn't have a set path you can not deviate from and there are many ways to tackle any problem that comes your way. It is a choose your own adventure in the purest of ways and I freaking love it. It is one of the most refreshing experiences to have in a video game. If there was anything I wish the game had from the start was a more of a reason to explore every part of each island. Other then that its been brilliant and easily my GOTY.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not sure what the MTX would even be for, everything in the game is cosmetic and it doesn't even take long to build up credits (other than pirate legend content).

MTX pets are confirmed. You'll be able to buy a cat, monkey or parrot with real money. It doesn't do anything gameplay wise, just a fun addition.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile Summit (and other streamers, but summit does 80% of it) is giving this game a whole new spotlight. Has been top 10 on Twitch for weeks now. And it had given Summit huis highest sub count since he quit playing Fortnite.

Literally means nothing. Streamers do this all the time it doesnt save games or increase player counts for long.

Also that tweet.. one dude is bringing in all those viewers once he stops it drops like a sack of shit back down the leaderboard. Wish the game has better gameplay loops and ship customsation.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad so many places have highlighted this on various yearly disappointment lists in the last month. We should not forget the shameful state this game launched in and we should not get used to it and accept it like we do with so many other bad practices in this industry.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Literally means nothing. Streamers do this all the time it doesnt save games or increase player counts for long.

Also that tweet.. one dude is bringing in all those viewers once he stops it drops like a sack of shit back down the leaderboard. Wish the game has better gameplay loops and ship customsation.

Ah, so big streamers playing games for a couple of weeks doesn't help sales or mindshare? Seriously? Being in the top 5 or 10 every evening for a month does good things for a game. Just ask indie devs what happens to their sales when big streamers pick up their game.

They've added extra ship customization in the last content update and I'm sure they'll have more coming in the next content updates. The gameplay loop is subjective. Some people hate it, some people love it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game has been such a joy since the Shrouded Spoils update and I'm glad both players as well as media outlets are starting to notice that the game evolved a lot since release. Such an amazing job by Rare. Especially the constant direct communication with the players is appreciated a lot by the community.

With The Arena coming early 2019, this will give the game yet another boost.

Literally means nothing.
Interesting take.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'm just glad so many places have highlighted this on various yearly disappointment lists in the last month. We should not forget the shameful state this game launched in and we should not get used to it and accept it like we do with so many other bad practices in this industry.

Rare should be applauded for the way they've communicated with the fans. I agree that it should've launched with more content, but the way Rare has worked their asses off making this game as great as it is today should get some recognition. Even if you don't like the whole GaaS-thing. The way Hello Games handles No Mans Sky deserves that too. You can't hold grudges forever.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare should be applauded for the way they've communicated with the fans. I agree that it should've launched with more content, but the way Rare has worked their asses off making this game as great as it is today should get some recognition. Even if you don't like the whole GaaS-thing. The way Hello Games handles No Mans Sky deserves that too. You can't hold grudges forever.

Forever? No. But forgetting and letting everything slide not even a year after it happened? Definitely no. Gamers already have a huge problem with having short memories and letting bad practices happen.

I'm also not really a fan of applauding developers for fixing the huge problem they caused to begin with. It should be expected. They had like 5 years to make something more than a basic framework of a game before releasing it and charging $60 for it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Forever? No. But forgetting and letting everything slide not even a year after it happened? Definitely no. Gamers already have a huge problem with having short memories and letting bad practices happen.

I'm also not really a fan of applauding developers for fixing the huge problem they caused to begin with. It should be expected. They had like 5 years to make something more than a basic framework of a game before releasing it and charging $60 for it.

Alright. Can't disagree here.

I think the difference is that, we both didn't think it was worth $60 at launch, but I had lots of fun with it at launch. I've put lots of hours into it, more than many other 'complete' $60 game. So, I wasn't that harsh on them.

But I can see your point of view. I also didn't pay 60 dollars for it, but played it with Gamepass. Launching a game this thin on content for 60 dollars isn't a good thing. But the game is, in my opinion, still worth playing. (10 dollar Gamepass, here we go) You are still invited to join my galleon one day.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC

The game already exceeded sales expectations and maintains a healthy player base with regular content updates. Seems that actual fans are perfectly happy with the title.

The only shameful thing is watching you try and throw shade at yet another Xbox title. You're a walking cliche at this point.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I've grown more and more intrigued by this game over the months. There is this funny clip of Summit playing this game that tells me this is exactly my kind of game.

Too fucking good. That interaction with other players and fucking with them.

You'll love this

There are some slow parts, tho.
The first 15 minutes for example and some in the middle.

Deleted member 12447

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very little about this game is poorly put together.

I think you and I are playing completely different games. The last time I played Sea of Thieves it had the combat that wouldn't entertain someone in a ps1 game with the palette swaps on enemies to the levels of a NES game.

It may look nice, and sailing a ship with your friends might be fun for a few hours but that's where it ends. The moment you have to shoot or swing or face anything off of the ship the game crumbles. Even Fallout 76 is put together better than this humpty dumpty game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I think you and I are playing completely different games. The last time I played Sea of Thieves it had the combat that wouldn't entertain someone in a ps1 game with the palette swaps on enemies to the levels of a NES game.

It may look nice, and sailing a ship with your friends might be fun for a few hours but that's where it ends. The moment you have to shoot or swing or face anything off of the ship the game crumbles. Even Fallout 76 is put together better than this humpty dumpty game.
Eh I dunno. One of my most memorable moments in the game is seeing an explosive carrying skeleton and sniping the barrel the moment my friend got too close.

It was great.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Watching Summit play this has been a blast. Yesterday, he a spent hours just to steal a crew's Athena's chest.

I'll probably never play it because it's the type of game you need a group for, but it looks great.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
SoT is simply not for everyone. Its central design means however much content gets added, some players will never want anything to do with it.

Rockpapershotgun put it best, the comp for SoT is actually Euro truck simulator with survival elements in multiplayer.

I appreciate such a game exists, and get annoyed by both sides of "this is the most disappointing game" and "this is the most underrated game".

It and SoD2 would best serve as complementary exclusive pieces, like KI or Halo Wars 2. By design they won't move consoles like some of Sony's biggest exclusives.

But I would still recommend it for any gamer to try if they have the chance. A very unique experience. I've talked to some friends who I assumed would hate the game yet wound up playing 50+ hours.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

I think you just didn't figured the combat and movement out. Or maybe played on console and mostly casual vs skeletons.
There is a lot of depth. The parkour. Quickscoping. Fast weapon switch to "one shot". Charged dash. Momentum physics. Etc.
The game reminds me a lot of CS:GO. Very simple looking combat with a lot of hidden details.