• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
r5buwy8pp6c41.jpg

GET OUT

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Any time I hear "you're one of the good ones" I usually imagine Ren saying it to Stimpy in OG Ren and Stimpy, where I think he said it more than once, so it stuck in my mind in my youth. Though unsurprisingly I have never heard it used again aside from the more well known backhanded way.

But saying that in mixed racial company, is 100% not okay. As such, it's one of those phrases that it's best not to get in the habit of saying at all.

Heck, even in Charlie Brown, the well known phrase is when Lunus or someone else says, "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." I could even dare to presume Charles Schultz never used the "good ones" line.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Look, I'm not arguing that there is a non-zero sum of people who don't actually know the racist connotations in which that phrase is used when used by a white person toward a black person. I'm just saying that it's popular still to use it in that way today, so I'm not going to parse who is ignorant about the context and who is doing it maliciously personally. That's a job for other white people, probably! I'm glad that there are white posters here who immediately recognize the issue and who could point that out to other white people (calmly, I hope!) who are genuinely ignorant about its use.

I just don't think that we can compare the use of "one of the good ones" in that context to the use of something like "peanut gallery," which is more divorced from its origins.

Again, the nexus of "offensive word origin" and "word use has changed so much as to drop the context of its original origin entirely or almost entirely" is a tough one to navigate, and it's worth having those conversations.

I also think that you're maybe accidentally setting up a couple of strawmen in response to my post in that:

a) I don't imply that no one can ever use "one of the good ones" again. Outside of the white person-saying-it-to-a-black-person context, that phrase has more benign meaning! Songs can use whatever they want to use, but again, the songwriter should be aware of the context in which they're using it (and hopefully have people around them who will inform them of a dicey context that they're not aware of).

b) I don't imply that we should dismiss the original offensiveness of either of those phrases that you mention. Absolutely, we shouldn't. I'm not of Asian descent, so it's not really my place to talk about who should be offended by either of those phrases. I would guess, though, that something like "long time no see" is less likely to be used to make a joke about East Asian cultures than, say, something still heavily used to make a joke like "me love you long time."

But again, you'd have to ask someone who is of East Asian heritage, not me. All I know is that the nexus of "offensive word origin" and "how we use the word now" is an interesting and tough one to navigate, so we should probably talk about that!

Yeah I've really muddled up my point here because I am arguing we should never use it again regardless of context

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
so many linguistic scholars on today. no one gives a shit about the possible neutral origin stories of phrases or how your gam-gams says it - but in a nice way. shit is overwhelmingly used today in a racist context. it's in the same vein as "oh you're so well spoken" "you're not like other ____ folks".

Yuuuup.

Hey mods, Even though I didn't have privileges to post in the black Era community thread I did read all of it. This thread is full of examples of why so many from that community don't feel comfortable posting here. Unreal. Black Era you will always have my support for zero tolerance of " well let's not be too hasty" types of posts in topics such as this. It is such bs.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Yo guys so I been sick for a week right? Last night was rouuugh, barely any sleep and have Dad duties etc. Anyways I was sitting here trippin out what is this such a big deal. Snoop making a statement. Yes, Snoop as in snoop dogg so I was like wtf is the big deal. Then I realize where it was really from after like 10 min and yeah ok...lol

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This thread right now is literally why BCT and black ppl have gripes on this forum, btw.

It's a lot of people out here mysteriously interested subatomically by theoretical intentions of a tweet (which the company deleted *specifically* because they themselves know how bad it looks).

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread right now is literally why BCT and black ppl have gripes on this forum, btw.

It's a lot of people out here mysteriously interested subatomically by theoretical intentions of a tweet (which the company deleted *specifically* because they themselves know how bad it looks).
Yes.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't even matter to me what the intention is, that's a stupid-ass tweet that should have been easily caught before it was posted.

It's ignorant at best, and that's not an acceptable excuse. Do better.

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sick of seeing this happen in every godamn thread

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Sick of seeing this happen in every godamn thread

We're on it. If there's anything you feel should be looked at please let us know via the report button.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

One of the good ones

"One of the good ones" is a phrase that encapsulates the idea of comparing an individual favorably to the other people in their demographic, with said demographic being based on gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, transgender status, religion etc. Depending on whether this phrase (or a...

Unless you mean like "How could they be so dumb to post this on twitter. I don't get it." Which I 100% agree with.
huh.. never thought about it this way.

Always assumed the good guys to be general population not related to a race or group.

( Not a native speaker).

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Always assumed the good guys to be general population not related to a race or group.

( Not a native speaker).
This isn't an American or English speaking thing, I'd bet most if not all languages have their own version of it.

There's certainly a similar saying in Swedish, used in the same way.

Oct 25, 2017
HIRE.

MORE.

BLACK PEOPLE.

Guaranteed not a single soul of color existed anywhere NEAR the approval ranks for this shit.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last year it was Liam Neeson. This year it's Charlie Brown. Our White childhood heroes are disappointing us :-(

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shout out to all the Franklins out there. Every time I see a grain of pepper in a sea of salt my heart aches. How many times has he heard he's one of the good ones?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

( Not a native speaker).

In Living Color had a reoccurring segment called the Brothers Brothers as an example of the "Good Ones".

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Concern Trolling Around Racism; Account in Junior Phase
I didn't get it. Had to read to page 2 to see what was up so I don't think it was intentional.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 month): dismissing concerns around racism
Yeah the only place I've seen anyone make a big deal out of that post was this thread. I didn't think it was intentional but anyway...

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah the only place I've seen anyone make a big deal out of that post was this thread. I didn't think it was intentional but anyway...

Stuff like this is not OK. First of all clearly it wasn't only this thread if they took it down and even if it was only this thread you have plenty of black members telling you how that tweet is not OK and that should really be enough for you to just listen instead of dropping in with this hand waving nonsense. Like clockwork in any thread relating to the Black community

Nov 17, 2017
Lol "misinterpreted." Why is it that whenever someone gets caught with their pants down, they were "misinterpreted?" No, sir, YOU pulled your pants down. It's not somehow everyone else's fault for being upset that you just pulled your own pants down in front of everyone. They didn't take that the wrong way. Just own it and apologize.

This is the first page of Google after searching that phrase:

kmwShMo.png

It is such a well known """"""well-meaning"""""" racist statement that I find it entirely disingenuous to even begin to pretend that anyone who might be involved with social media - in particular social media! - at all would have no idea of the deep history of statements like this. It's not new. It's not uncommon. It's very well known.
This. The simple fact is that you have to hop through several loops of logic to come to the conclusion that no one involved knew of this or noticed it. It takes much more effort to try and find an angle to give the benefit of the doubt than to just see it for what it is. But people are always there to find the benefit of the doubt with racism... it's like no one wants to acknowledge that people can just be racist on purpose or otherwise. The non-apology from the twitter account doesn't help.

This is absolutely not that. You are fully inventing reasons to justify this or to create a conversation.

Your intent may not be to cause harm or pain or to "give leeway to racists" but sometimes you need to just... listen... when people tell you to stop. It's okay to sit down and listen instead of continuing to justify or explain and that's something all white people need to learn. Sometimes we just gotta stop.
Thank you. I think sometimes white people get way too defensive about anything racist. Like being called racist is the greatest condemnation of their character to them and so even if you imply or try to softly explain that something they said or their friends and family have said is racist, they get super defensive about it and try to explain it away. I think some people need to chill. I genuinely think to some white people you're either not racist or you're literally Hitler. This stuff has nuance and minorities have been explaining it forever but when you're too busy being defensive, you don't listen to them.

Ironically, the thread would not be as long as it is if not for people going making posts exactly like this. No one is calling for Peanuts' head.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
I posted this on my Facebook page earlier today. I have spent most of my day explaining to clueless people what "dog whistle" racism is. It's exhausting. I will say, they legitimately did not know...hopefully, they learned something (probably not).

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man lol.

Either the person posted that super quick with no attention or he/she thought they were cute.

Either way, they probably shouldn't be doing social media for a major brand.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
lol yes we must've misinterpreted it because it is certainly possible that saying "you're one of the good ones" from a white person to a black person does not imply that black people are generally bad according to the white character, even though that's literally what it says. Our bad, Charlie Brown.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charlie Brown WOULD fuck this up on Black History Month. It just makes too much sense

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get it. Had to read to page 2 to see what was up so I don't think it was intentional.
It doesn't matter if it's intentional.

It doesn't matter if, somehow, the person doesn't know the vast history of a phrase like this.

It doesn't matter if they meant well.

It doesn't matter if it was supposed to be charming.

It doesn't matter if YOU didn't know what it meant somehow.

Y'all know you... don't have to talk, right? Like you can... just read and reflect?

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
That's... astonishing bad.

Is there an argument to be made that such phrases could be used innocently? Sure - but I think it's been made clear repeatedly that this is neither the time nor the place. It's easy if you're privileged to 'just want to discuss' but that ignores the constant and pervasive harm of such phrases.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
That's... astonishing bad.

Is there an argument to be made that such phrases could be used innocently? Sure - but I think it's been made clear repeatedly that this is neither the time nor the place. It's easy if you're privileged to 'just want to discuss' but that ignores the constant and pervasive harm of such phrases.
How is it that this has already been handled in the thread repeatedly, this and all the other "maybe it wasn't" and "but what if" variations and people are still showing up like PERHAPS IT WAS INNOCENT AND NOT INTENTIONALLY RACIST

edit: misread, see #307

Last edited: