• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
QnPMtZ8.jpg[

edit: taken down, replaced with backup.
Reaction of the "good one" fits so well.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns around racism
Aurora borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

This is what you're trying to sell to me. The phrase is commonly used in a degrading way. I'm not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: and I've lived in the South (for decades) and it is used 100% with racial implications. The most recent time it was used on me by my then girlfriend's father.

I've got family in the South and the older generation used this phrase referring to friends and neighbors, like, all the time.

Sorry you've had a different experience, but it's not automatically racist.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Aurora borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

This is what you're trying to sell to me. The phrase is commonly used in a degrading way. I'm not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: and I've lived in the South (for decades) and it is used 100% with racial implications. The most recent time it was used on me by my then girlfriend's father.
The phrase is degrading, but I'm sure the idiots who use it think they're saying it as a compliment, which still shows their ass ofcourse.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, its something I always heard. I mean, even my parents would say it to me when I did something good. Didnt know it started to be used by racists.
It's not new by any means. That's the thing about being black though. You live in racism and everyone else just seems to take a vacation there from time to time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wondered how bad it could be before I clicked on the thread and... yeah... That's bad... Holy shit, that's bad...

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The phrase is degrading, but I'm sure the idiots who use it think they're saying it as a compliment, which still shows their ass ofcourse.

The idiots who are saying it to mean "you're one of the good ones of your race" are just racist idiots. The people who say "you're one of the good ones" to everybody to literally mean "you're a good person" don't mean anything and aren't really idiots at all or showing their ass. We probably should try to retire the phrase though given it's racist connotations.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Charlie Brown unintentionally fucking up like that is so in character that it's perfect

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I've got family in the South and the older generation used this phrase referring to friends and neighbors, like, all the time.

Sorry you've had a different experience, but it's not automatically racist.
No one cares how your family uses it tbh. Black ppl solely experience it as racism so if your family is saying it to black ppl they're getting the side-eye. Just because you're using the phrase in some other way doesn't mean it's not being majorly used to express racist stereotypes on minorities. But keep insecurely defending your families ability to use a popular racist expression. Or just fucking don't.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so many linguistic scholars on today. no one gives a shit about the possible neutral origin stories of phrases or how your gam-gams says it - but in a nice way. shit is overwhelmingly used today in a racist context. it's in the same vein as "oh you're so well spoken" "you're not like other ____ folks".

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No one cares how your family uses it tbh. Black ppl solely experience it as racism so if your family is saying it to black ppl they're getting the side-eye. Just because you're using the phrase in some other way doesn't mean it's not being majorly used to express racist stereotypes on minorities. But keep insecurely defending your families ability to use a popular racist expression. Or just fucking don't.
I mean I think it's telling that even me and albatross (he pointed it out and I piggybacked) who are used to it in a non racist way don't even (at least in my case) use it because the racist implications and how it's been used is pretty well documented.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

yeah, fuck me for providing mitigating context instead of piling on.

I'm aware how the usage has shifted, I'm just stating that it's not a universal assumption about the phrase and that it's very, very likely this tweet was unaware of its own connotation. People are totally justified in seeing it and going 'uhh what.'

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's a real bummer that so many of these old idioms have...unfortunate modern usages.
I have your back on this one it's not just you. As you know I live in the same area and it's not uncommon here to hear a white person say it to another white person.

Don't get me wrong I know the racist way most use it so I kind of avoid it myself, but it's definitely more of a salt of the earth not a dog whistle here.
Yep, its something I always heard. I mean, even my parents would say it to me when I did something good. Didnt know it started to be used by racists.

It's not new. It's not only "recently" used by racists. It has always, always, been a degrading phrase meant to signal that "you're not like the other ones" and it's been used in a racist manner towards black people for decades. This isn't a case like the "ok" hand sign.

The idiots who are saying it to mean "you're one of the good ones of your race" are just racist idiots. The people who say "you're one of the good ones" to everybody to literally mean "you're a good person" don't mean anything and aren't really idiots at all or showing their ass. We probably should try to retire the phrase though given it's racist connotations.

No, they don't. They mean "you're not as bad as the others." Just like when people in the South say, "Bless your heart" they're not actually wishing blessing upon you. They're calling you an idiot.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
People unfamiliar with the phrase obviously never watched Ren & Stimpy:

Ren:
I'm so hungry I can't stand it. What are we having?

Stimpy:
Ta-da!

Ren:
A can! Wait a minute. What are you having?

Stimpy:
The usual. I'm having a sock.

Ren:
You're giving *me* the can? Are you sure?

Stimpy:
Go ahead. It's yours.

Ren:
You're one of the good ones, man.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I fully believe this was an innocent mistake, that's talk from the Peanuts era, but yikes. Context is important.

It's like the term "well-spoken". Fine in some contexts, horrible in others.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I don't think that's really fair tbh, but whatever. As I've said above we should probably just put the idiom to bed given it's racist connotations, but growing up with phrases without knowing they're offensive or racist is a genuine thing. Phrases like "peanut gallery", "rule of thumb", "sold down the river", "gypped", etc. are all bad and people still use them since they grew up with them without realizing. I don't think people are defending their racist connotations, but I do think people can say these things without realizing because they've heard them all their lives.

edit- also eenie meenie miney mo, which people still use to this day.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's really fair tbh, but whatever. As I've said above we should probably just put the idiom to bed given it's racist connotations, but growing up with phrases without knowing they're offensive or racist is a genuine thing. Phrases like "peanut gallery", "rule of thumb", "sold down the river", "gypped", etc. are all bad and people still use them since they grew up with them without realizing. I don't think people are defending their racist connotations, but I do think people can say these things without realizing because they've heard them all their lives.

Peanut gallery has some other connotation than 'the cheap seats?'

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People debate whether the origins are racist or classist. I avoid it altogether.

Classist, I can totally believe. But I think it speaks more to the idea that people who have less commitment to a thing have fewer qualms about heckling and hollering.

There's not really consensus afaik, but it's possible, it might be closely connected to minorities often being restricted to the more affordable section.

Makes sense.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Not knowing the historical etymology of phrases and words happens and is understandable. However in this case... that phrase, imposed on that image, during this month, in today's social climate in the US? That's a whole lot of coincidental stars lining up. Which is possible, but not likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't think people are trying to give this tweet the benefit of the doubt... at least I'm not. What I'm arguing is this idea that the phrase never had anything but racist intention, when in reality it's an idiom that has been used for decades referring to it being rare to find a good person.
and in those same decades non-white people heard the same phrase but it was racist at the same time

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Oh come on...you HAVE to have known that this was in exceptionally poor taste from the start. There's no way anyone did this w/out questioning it...

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
What would it take for this to be a honest mistake? Their community manager would have to be like... 60 years old, or an immigrant who knows literally nothing about racism against black people in the US. And nevermind posting it, who even makes such an image other than a racist? A "joker"?

Oct 26, 2017

Ignorance is a huge part of racism, homophobia, transphobia...so on and so forth. A lot of people grew up not realizing how certain phrases were racist, but that doesn't really change anything, does it? We're adults now. We learn, and we grow. Or we should. If anyone uses "gypped" around me now-a-days, I lose my shit. No one should be given a pass for something because it's what they grew up with.

Any adult with a brain could've thought this shit through. It's BHM for fuck's sake too.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
and in those same decades non-white people heard the same phrase but it was racist at the same time

Did I argue that at all? I'm saying a person saying this isn't racist by default. I've also argued it's probably best to retire the phrase given the connotations. But to say you're "showing your ass" by saying it is unfair when people genuinely say this without knowing.

Not knowing the historical etymology of phrases and words happens and is understandable. However in this case... that phrase, imposed on that image, during this month, in today's social climate in the US? That's a whole lot of coincidental stars lining up. Which is possible, but not likely.

And again please read my posts. I have not once argued in defense of the tweet. I'm arguing the notion in this thread that the phrase "couldn't possibly be referring to humans" and that phrasing like that is unnatural or unheard of. It's a very common idiom so yes it does refer to humans. For a lot of people who use it, it literally means "you're one of the good people in a world of mostly bad people"

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Ignorance is a huge part of racism. Homophobia. Transphobia. So on and so forth. A lot of people grew up not realizing how certain phrases were racist, but that doesn't really change anything, does it? We're adults now, we learn, and we grow. Or we should. If anyone uses "gypped" around me now-a-days, I lose my shit. No one should be given a pass for something because it's what they grew up with.

Any adult with a brain could've thought this shit through. It's BHM for fuck's sake too.

"lose your shit"? How does that help an innocent kid saying "eenie meenie miney mo"? Gypped is a particularly bad one in that I feel that one has been discussed extensively, but if somebody says it I do point out what it means, and most people respond postively and embarrassed that they didn't know. It's not willful ignorance. There is a difference between ignoring the history and genuinely not being aware. A word that I see being talked about a lot lately is "lame" as it's ableist and that's being pointed out a lot. Most people respond positively when you explain why something like "lame" or "peanut gallery" or "sold down the river" are offensive. You don't have to lose your shit because somebody genuinely didn't know.

edit- if you made a thread pointing out a lot of these terms as offensive, I guarantee a ton of people would say something along the lines of "holy shit I had no idea".

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's not new. It's not only "recently" used by racists. It has always, always, been a degrading phrase meant to signal that "you're not like the other ones" and it's been used in a racist manner towards black people for decades. This isn't a case like the "ok" hand sign.

No, they don't. They mean "you're not as bad as the others." Just like when people in the South say, "Bless your heart" they're not actually wishing blessing upon you. They're calling you an idiot.
Look I am not defending it, I don't use the term because of the racist connotations. But don't dump me in with the south, I am talking about NE and white people say it white people here all the fucking time, it has nothing to do with the racist stuff, which is also real hence again why I personally would never use it. I wasn't defending the tweet or defending using it. I was backing the albatross before he got piled on because I live in the same county as him and in New England it is used by white people to other whites to mean "your not a complete shit bag."

So no it doesn't always have a racist genesis, though I still think the phrase should be retired because of how it's been applied and is racist towards black Americans.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
you're so well spoken

/s