• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Happy Black History Month

2O4UKce.png

right, it some how got past all of the people of color that surely work there.

for sure.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this could be unintentional. That's not a natural phrase to say.

I'm surprised, "You're one of the good ones" is an old folkism for me ... Not about black people or minorities, just in general, like "In a world filled with bad people you're one of the good ones." BUt.... I'm packed to the gills with old folkisms.

Googling the phrase it looks like just about everybody uses it in a racist way about black people or muslims, so I guess I'll have to retire that folksism. Goddamit

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised, "You're one of the good ones" is an old folkism for me ... Not about black people or minorities, just in general, like "In a world filled with bad people you're one of the good ones." BUt.... I'm packed to the gills with old folkisms.

Googling the phrase it looks like just about everybody uses it in a racist way about black people or muslims, so I guess I'll have to retire that folksism. Goddamit

Yeah, it's a real bummer that so many of these old idioms have...unfortunate modern usages.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't see how this could be unintentional. That's not a natural phrase to say.

"You're one of the good ones" is a phrase used very often. There are songs called "one of the good ones". The whole comment is that there aren't many good people but you're one of them. It's similar to "you're good people". You often hear it in regards to significant others as well when giving approval "he/she is one of the good ones".

That being said this particular instance is extremely unfortunate. It's possible the person responsible just completely spaced it, but you gotta be better than that.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I have your back on this one it's not just you. As you know I live in the same area and it's not uncommon here to hear a white person say it to another white person.

Don't get me wrong I know the racist way most use it so I kind of avoid it myself, but it's definitely more of a salt of the earth not a dog whistle here.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017

Yep, its something I always heard. I mean, even my parents would say it to me when I did something good. Didnt know it started to be used by racists.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
And what other than black people is "ones" supposed to be referring to? Humans? Yeah that's very likely what was intended. I'll just ignore that since forever that phrase has meant of a group of people I see as inferior, you're ok.

What is it with some people being compelled to say racist shit even in situations that will cost you your livelihood? Is it like drug addiction or something? They see a black person walking by and they're biting their lip and sweating trying to hold it back before giving in and blurting out "n*****!" Is that what it's like for them?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal here? Seems like a fine picture to me. Also, adult Franklin will now be so well spoken because of his time with his awesome white friends.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That shit was intentional. Think of all the shit that has to lineup accidentally

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
And what other than black people is "ones" supposed to be referring to? Humans? Yeah that's very likely what was intended. I'll just ignore that since forever that phrase has meant of a group of people I see as inferior, you're ok.

What is it with some people being compelled to say racist shit even in situations that will cost you your livelihood? Is it like drug addiction or something? They see a black person walking by and they're biting their lip and sweating trying to hold it back before giving bin and blurting out "n*****!" Is that what it's like for them?

As pointed out, just because you haven't heard it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This is a fairly common idiom and again there are songs that use the exact phrase in their title or lyrical content. "Ones" literally means one of the good people in the world in a sea of bad people.

As also stated above it appears that this has been used as a racist phrase, but I honestly never knew that. I've never personally used the phrase but I've heard it about myself a bunch throughout my life, and I've heard it in movies/songs/tv shows.

Again not defending this tweet, the optics are awful. I would hope it wasn't intentional, but it's hard to imagine not seeing what was wrong with the picture here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it wasn't stanning for Bill Cosby which is what I jumped to glancing at op title....

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What is it with some people being compelled to say racist shit even in situations that will cost you your livelihood? Is it like drug addiction or something? They see a black person walking by and they're biting their lip and sweating trying to hold it back before giving in and blurting out "n*****!" Is that what it's like for them?

It literally refers to all people. It's been used in the south for decades in contexts completely devoid of race.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh for fucks sake. How fucking hard is it not to be a fucking racist??

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Every office needs a black person to look over stuff like this and say nah this ain't it b
Even if you have someone who looks over that, it can always slip through.
Mistakes like this can easily happen since you cannot be aware of everything or in that moment think about it.
But if you expose it to thousands of people, of course people will call it out then.
Since they took it offline it seems like they realized the fuckup.

As a non-native English speaker, I didn't know the background of this phrase and thus learnt something new today. So I could have unknowingly said this in the past to someone...

The best thing is always to call it out.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It literally refers to all people. It's been used in the south for decades in contexts completely devoid of race.
Aurora borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

This is what you're trying to sell to me. The phrase is commonly used in a degrading way. I'm not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: and I've lived in the South (for decades) and it is used 100% with racial implications. The most recent time it was used on me by my then girlfriend's father.

Last edited:

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Was there something not featured in the OP's screenshot? I don't see any good intention anywhere.
Yeah. In about 10 minutes my thought process went from "Unfortunate mistake" to "That social media manager thought they were being real fucking cute, huh?" Pretty obvious!

Oct 27, 2017
That shit was intentional. Think of all the shit that has to lineup accidentally
Yea....

I can understand how the person publishing posts may not look closely at what they're posting, but that picture is straight up racist. There is zero other interpretations, and SOMEONE had to make it. It didn't just appear out of the ether.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Concern trolling in a thread regarding racism
Aurora borealis? At this time of year? At this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?

This is what you're trying to sell to me. The phrase is commonly used in a degrading way. I'm not giving anybody the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think people are trying to give this tweet the benefit of the doubt... at least I'm not. What I'm arguing is this idea that the phrase never had anything but racist intention, when in reality it's an idiom that has been used for decades referring to it being rare to find a good person. I mean a basic google search shows there are multiple songs that use the name, there's even some movie made with the title one of the good ones. I totally understand why it can be used as racist, but I guarantee plenty of people use that term without any sort of racist intent or realizing WHY it could be racist. It's right in there with "you're good people". So again not disputing that this tweet is bad, just disputing your argument that good ones couldn't refer to humans, that's literally what it means a lot of the time.

Oct 26, 2017

You can still use it but you've got to really make sure you define the context before you do.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I usually come into threads like this not knowing the racial context behind the phrases.

But even I know "one of the good ones"

Rhodo

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been reading a lot of peanuts lately, and there's this weird corniness in the writing that I can easily see any character saying to another. That being said god this sucks and someone down the line HAD to know what was happening.