• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, had this on my to-buy list for switch but now I'll just pick up the PS4 version instead.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there going to be a standard edition for the US? I'm not seeing anything on the sites or in the marketing materials. Just the limited edition.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I knew it would eventually be multi-platform when I noticed that the collection always seems to go out of its way to never mention the existence of the NES directly and instead only ambiguously says "console" whenever it's referring to its NES games.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it would eventually be multi-platform when I noticed that the collection always seems to go out of its way to never mention the existence of the NES directly and instead only ambiguously says "console" whenever it's referring to its NES games.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Also, all logos are removed from the box art shown. It's a bit silly in a museum-type game to avoid making reference to the actual consoles on which the games were released. Not that big of a deal though.

OP
OP
Warrior of Light
Jan 11, 2018
23mlm4y.png

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This totally crept up on me. I saw that major retailers have preorders going for the disc version. Called the GameStop within walking distance and they won't be getting any copies. So it looks like brick and mortars will only be getting enough copies to fill preorders. Going to order from Amazon later then I guess.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
1080p is the baseline resolution required for an adequate CRT filter and the 4K bump allow for something genuinely convincing. It's not a weird useless spec bump, it offers practical enhancements for old pixel games.
1080 is terrible for scanline emulation because it's not an integer multiple of 240.
You can run letterboxed at 960 but even then the scan line effect via semi-transparent lines is too thin. That's why most of the best scan line emulations used 720p or other larger multiples of 240 instead of 1080p.

720 is better than 1080, though 4k has potential to be best of all of course.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
1080 is terrible for scanline emulation because it's not an integer multiple of 240.
You can run letterboxed at 960 but even then the scan line effect via semi-transparent lines is too thin. That's why most of the best scan line emulations used 720p or other larger multiples of 240 instead of 1080p.

Yeah, that's all true. It's why 720p is normally recommended for that.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, they removed tate? Are you sure?

Yeah, true enough. I was thinking specifically about deploying on consoles, so "tolerable" is more correct--skipping 720 is doing your audience a favor, even if they don't know it, because a ton of TVs still have god-awful 720 upscaling and its worth dealing with horizontal interpolation and whatever else just to not have your work undone by their crappy tv. It's silly that even niche collections like this one have to think in those terms but publishers simply aren't paying for adequate QA, which means they're inevitably option-locked when they needn't be.

Wait, they removed tate? Are you sure?

It was never in the docked version of the Switch version, either.

Yes, they put TATE mode in the undocked version of the Switch release, and apparently took the time to remove it in docked mode, maybe due to resolution issues. I have tried contacting all the companies various times to see if I'm just not finding it, but no response.

Also, could someone check to see if they fixed the nasty screen tearing in:
Bermuda Triangle
Chopper 1
Guevara

You can see the screen tearing in several youtube vids of the Switch collection in these games.

I also tried emailing the publisher and developer about the screen tearing, and still no response.
Pity, as fixing the lack of TATE mode and the screen tearing would've made the Switch release perfect.

Hope someone can fix these issues!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone else having occasional issues with the dual-stick games?

There are times during games like Guerilla War or Time Soldiers where I'd lose control of my character and run into a bullet.
I've tried this on both of my PS4 pads and had the same problem.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is anyone else having occasional issues with the dual-stick games?

There are times during games like Guerilla War or Time Soldiers where I'd lose control of my character and run into a bullet.
I've tried this on both of my PS4 pads and had the same problem.
Yeah. Games in the collection kind of freak out when reading analog inputs sometimes. Use the dpad for movement to avoid this. Unfortunately this means there isn't really a 'fix' for the right stick and aiming.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I read someone on twitter saying that bigs news are coming for this game soon. I can't really imagine what could be