• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is good old school fanservice, but this is gonna be boring. I hope it isn't just a vehicle to sell the NeoGeo games people really want for ten bucks a pop.

This was a collection of pre-Neo Geo SNK games, many of which hadn't seen any type of release in a very long time.

It has nothing to do with their current Neo Geo release model. (Which is admittedly scattershot)

OP
OP
Warrior of Light
Jan 11, 2018
It's possible two of the games will be optional DLC (Beast Busters and SAR: Search and Rescue) due to their inclusion affecting the ESRB rating, but the other nine games should be available on the disc at launch. And it's possible NIS will just include everything on the disc and accept the higher rating.

I don't think a higher age rating is as much of an issue in this case due to demographics. As much as Sony is trying to establish themselves as more "family friendly", a PS4 version of a retro compilation simply isn't as likely to be picked up by kids as it is on the Switch.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And I just ordered the collector edition on NISA Store. Anyway, I still wanted to play this on switch onlty for the TATE mode, and I guess that I'm going to buy it on ps4 for cheap if it has an easy platinum

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting... Crystalis NES is not included...

Perhaps I was right about 3rd party publishers not being allowed to write NES Emulators for non-Nintendo platforms (the only exception being Rare Replay - but that's a unique case, since they came to an agreement with Nintendo on that one that also allowed for the re-release of the DKC/DKL Games and DK64).

That's a pretty big omission here; as it is arguably the best game in the whole package.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Perhaps I was right about 3rd party publishers not being allowed to write NES Emulators for non-Nintendo platforms (the only exception being Rare Replay - but that's a unique case, since they came to an agreement with Nintendo on that one that also allowed for the re-release of the DKC/DKL Games and DK64).

That's a pretty big omission here; as it is arguably the best game in the whole package.

What? Crystalis was by far the most promoted game in that comercial, where did you got that conclussion that Crystalis wasn't included?

Crystalis only was released on nes, there was no PC or arcade versión, maybe you could include the GBC version, but that's a Nintendo console tooo

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Is that confirmed?

What about the other NES versions of the arcade games, all of which are available on the Switch version?

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a higher age rating is as much of an issue in this case due to demographics. As much as Sony is trying to establish themselves as more "family friendly", a PS4 version of a retro compilation simply isn't as likely to be picked up by kids as it is on the Switch.

This compilation really wasn't aimed at kids or families on Switch either. An M-rated retro collection still limits its audience though, so I won't be surprised if they relegate the two games to DLC on PS4 as well. But it'd be nice if everything is on the disc.

Crystalis is featured in the PS4 ad.....

You're also incorrect regarding NES emulation. Digital Eclipse (the developer of this package) has already released two NES compilations on PS4 (and other platforms).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for this, I was planning to get it on switch but I would rather play on the TV, so I will get it on ps4 and wait for a sale on the switch version.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My brother has this game on the Switch. We had a blast playing last weekend. You PS4 owners gonna enjoy this if you like retro gaming!

OP
OP
Warrior of Light
Jan 11, 2018
This compilation really wasn't aimed at kids or families on Switch either. An M-rated retro collection still limits its audience though, so I won't be surprised if they relegate the two games to DLC on PS4 as well. But it'd be nice if everything is on the disc.

It's not so much about the target audience of the compilation itself as the available demographics, including the people who are likely to pick this up on a whim without knowing much about it. I feel like the market for this kind of release is a lot more niche on PS4 and that most people who want to buy it will do so regardless of age rating, because they know what they're getting. I don't think NISA is counting on having tons of random people picking this up via bargain bins.

As a side note, I feel like ESRB need to update their standards if crude looking games from the late 70's and 80's warrant an M rating in this day and age.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wasnt crazy about the games themselves, but Digital Eclipse did an amazing job with the collection as a whole.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much about the target audience of the compilation itself as the available demographics, including the people who are likely to pick this up on a whim without knowing much about it. I feel like the market for this kind of release is a lot more niche on PS4 and that most people who want to buy it will do so regardless of age rating, because they know what they're getting. I don't think NISA is counting on having tons of random people picking this up via bargain bins.

As a side note, I feel like ESRB need to update their standards if crude looking games from the late 70's and 80's warrant an M rating in this day and age.
Switch demographic is basically the same as PS4/XB1 outside Japan, although that might've changed some after this explosive holiday. This isn't really a strong argument for NISA doing a full ESRB/PEGI resub to change ratings though, which we already know they didn't: https://mobile.twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1072844449049235457

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree with your last point. There's gore in a couple of these games, but it shouldn't warrant an M rating.

I disagree with your demographic point though. Switch's current audience is mostly identical to PS4/XB1. Though it's true retro games tend to resonate more with Nintendo's audience.

Switch demographic is basically the same as PS4/XB1 outside Japan, although that might've changed some after this explosive holiday. This isn't really a strong argument for NISA doing a full ESRB/PEGI resub to change ratings though, which we already know they didn't: https://mobile.twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1072844449049235457

yeah, this all but guarantees they'll be separate downloads on PS4 as well. Edit - they're all on the disc! Confirmed by NIS rep further down the page

Last edited:

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad I waited, when I play retro I prefer the couch so PS4 it is.

Why no Metal slugthough. :(

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
well yeah, this landed with a thud here on ERA. No one cared about it.
I cared. :(

I was rather aghast to find no one talking about it in the two announcement threads a few of us kept updating with new info and trailers after the release besides some people saying they got it. Not even a bare-bones OT or game impressions.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
1080p is the baseline resolution required for an adequate CRT filter and the 4K bump allow for something genuinely convincing. It's not a weird useless spec bump, it offers practical enhancements for old pixel games.

DE's filter is maybe the one tech feature that M2 and others can't match and it has the potential to look great in 4K.

Aye absolutely. That and pixel scaling is noticeably razor sharp in 4k on old 2D titles, they absolutely benefit from the bump so it's commendable Pro support is here when it isn't always present on retro re-releases

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Figured this would happen with the way it was announced originally. Will be interesting to see what is included on the PS4 disc.

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Luther here, just to clarify:

The game's assets will be in 4k, confirmed from developer.
All of the titles will be available on the disc, day 1, no update later.

Oh ye of little faith! We did in fact get it re-rated for release.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

Then what's up with Disney Afternoon Collection and Mega Man Legacy Collection?

Also there's Super Star Wars but it's SNES and not sure if it's emulated.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is good old school fanservice, but this is gonna be boring. I hope it isn't just a vehicle to sell the NeoGeo games people really want for ten bucks a pop.

None of the games on the 40th Anniversary Collection have anything to do with the Neo-Geo. It's an entire compilation of most of SNK's pre-NeoGeo output.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Luther here, just to clarify:

The game's assets will be in 4k, confirmed from developer.
All of the titles will be available on the disc, day 1, no update later.

Oh ye of little faith! We did in fact get it re-rated for release.

Just wanted to tell you I bought the Switch Collector's Edition from you guys and it was very well done.

EnchantingVacantDouglasfirbarkbeetle-size_restricted.gif

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nice will have to pick it up when it's out. Great ad too, did a good job replicating this one.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wish this have a different boxart on PS4? I ask because I want to double dip, but it will be a waste if ps4 owners doesn't have bishonen Che Guevara on the cover

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Switch is great, but not everyone cares about playing on the go. Also glad I didn't buy the Switch version. 4K and trophies? Yes, please.
Agreed. While I understand the "great on the go" argument, I like to sit down and focus when I play arcade titles. This isn't a Switch VS PS4 thing either. I usually pick the PS4 over Vita when playing arcade-type games. The ability to use a dpad without a side investment is nice too.

Anyway it's nice to see that compilations like this are still hitting consoles outside of the Switch. There are still a lot of arcade, retro, and 2D fans on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The 4K upgrade sounds great but that's not a good game selection at all. Virtually none of the titles you'd want from an SNK collection are there.

Think I'll pass.

Hilarious how much salt this fairly benign post brought out in some in the thread.

I think that the main sell of this collection is to have a recopilation of the games that SNK rarely releases, like, I would kill for a good neo geo compilation on physical media, but I already have bought Garou and Fatal Fury Special at last 10 times without using hyperbole.

The games that I would love to see from SNK are either a Playmore collection or a HNG64 one, those are games that definitely would be great to have preserved for the future

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
At last! Was hoping this would be released in other platforms... maybe Steam will get it too later this year? Would be nice.

But im picking this for the PS4 ASAP. Wanna support SNK.

Goonopher

Oct 27, 2017
The 4K upgrade sounds great but that's not a good game selection at all. Virtually none of the titles you'd want from an SNK collection are there.

Think I'll pass.

Hilarious how much salt this fairly benign post brought out in some in the thread.

It wasn't even meant to mean anything other than, I'm glad I can get it on the PS4. I was close to pulling the trigger on Switch a couple of times this week.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm increasingly finding myself in scenarios where I'm like "what if I bought a 4k version to play at home (X1X, PS4P, PC) and bought a Switch version to play anywhere.