• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Already have it pre-loaded on Gamepass.

This series is honestly pretty solid, the games are usually good fun. Although between the mainline titles and the zombie spinoffs I can see how a lot of people could get exhausted with it.

SE4 definitely expanded things with regards to the levels. Huge maps with multiple objectives makes it feel more akin to Ground Zeroes or Hitman.

Does the Sniper Elite series lean into the absurdity at all similar to MGS or Hitman? I think that one of my favorite parts of MGSV is that it's an excellent stealth game, but you're also being given silly tools like the fulton system.

I know it's definitely not leaning into it in that same way, but is there still some silliness to it all, or does it play it pretty straight?

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I never player a Sniper Elite game but I'll give it a try from your description OP. Is there a way to disable the X-ray kills? Some of those might be a little too much for me depending on the day.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does the Sniper Elite series lean into the absurdity at all similar to MGS or Hitman? I think that one of my favorite parts of MGSV is that it's an excellent stealth game, but you're also being given silly tools like the fulton system.

I know it's definitely not leaning into it in that same way, but is there still some silliness to it all, or does it play it pretty straight?

very straight. i mean, there's the goofiness of each game having a "kill hitler" mission. but that's about it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I never player a Sniper Elite game but I'll give it a try from your description OP. Is there a way to disable the X-ray kills? Some of those might be a little too much for me depending on the day.

It has off/minimal/normal/frequent options for kill cam/x-ray thing

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recently got SE v2 Remastered as it finally got a nice sale.

I usually don't like military shooters, but this gets a pass as it has a pulpy WW2 vibe, and the bullet time/X Ray effect is so good. However, sometimes I can't tell f I'm supposed to go stealth or guns blazing.

Should I bother with the other ones? What's the main difference? I read that the consensus is 4>2>3.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017

Definitely way more straightforward, no goofy gadgets or disguises or stuff like that. The stories aren't really anything to write home about either.

The Zombie Army Spinoffs are where they play with the absurdity more but those are more L4D like.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

R.52ef521be895004a24749c444ea95481

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not familiar with the franchise. Is it a different front for each entry? One preview said you get to shoot Nazi and Hitler again, and how many times can you shoot them?
They are set in different countries each game. Each game has a mission structure you can replay.

Each game has a target Further mission, (I think as DLC?) That gives you the chance to kill Hitler in different hilarious ways. It's not exactly cannon for story or anything.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I liked Sniper Elite 1 and 2. I didn't like the openness of Sniper Elite 3. I think I just stopped playing after that. Are they back to more linear, or still wide open?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I liked Sniper Elite 1 and 2. I didn't like the openness of Sniper Elite 3. I think I just stopped playing after that. Are they back to more linear, or still wide open?
Depends on the mission, but widish for the most part, I couldn't really get on with 3 either, even moreso after playing 4 which was a much better game all round.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
What i like most about 4 is the freedom combined with actual practical ways to use that freedom.

MGSV is the comparison that keeps getting brought up except there's nowt fuck all to do in mgsv.

Sniper elite 4 was filled with nooks and crannies. Smaller urban areas that you can actually switch things up a bit and run around witha shotgun or smg. Chokepoints and opportunities to funnel enemies into killboxes. Different themes for each level and atmospheres.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Never touched the series. But I dig tactical/sandbox shooters, so it's sounding like I probably should. People comparing it to MGSV and immersive sims make it sound right up my alley. Will pre-install and check it out over the long weekend.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not familiar with the franchise. Is it a different front for each entry? One preview said you get to shoot Nazi and Hitler again, and how many times can you shoot them?

I think the first 2 games were typical WW2 Berlin areas and military camps.
3 was North Africa
4 was Italy
5 is France

A Hitler mission has been a bonus mission of DLC from the most part from what I remember - or at the very least a marketing stunt.
In Sniper Elite 4 the DLC mission with him was quite silly- it was very Hitman-y, you could kill him in numerous different ways beyond just sniping him. Dropping a submarine on his head or causing a facility to explode.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I recently got SE v2 Remastered as it finally got a nice sale.

I usually don't like military shooters, but this gets a pass as it has a pulpy WW2 vibe, and the bullet time/X Ray effect is so good. However, sometimes I can't tell f I'm supposed to go stealth or guns blazing.

Should I bother with the other ones? What's the main difference? I read that the consensus is 4>2>3.

Yeah, I think that is right. The Remastered version of 2 pulled some of the QOL things from 4 into it.
In the original 2 and maybe 3 , if you missed a shot or made a noise basically the entire level knew where you were forever with no way to reset, it was annoying.
In 4 you get alerted if you've been seen and where you've been seen (I think a SC game did the same thing) and you can use that to your advantage to bait people over if you are so inclined.

Otherwise, you can just snipe the bare minimum of people and skulk your way to the end

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
The Sniper Elite series lies squarely in the middle-AA category. Which isn't bad in many ways but I kind of wish Rebellion would get out of their comfort zone and explore alternate time lines.

Sniper Elite 4's Italy was an excellent setting which was a bit letdown by the level design. And the binaural audio implementation made me cry, it was at par with Hellblade.

Nothing I've seen from Sniper Elite 5 has really compelled me to play this one. Looks pretty much a simple expansion of the previous game. I can wait for a deep sale.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The Sniper Elite series lies squarely in the middle-AA category. Which isn't bad in many ways but I kind of wish Rebellion would get out of their comfort zone and explore alternate time lines.

Sniper Elite 4's Italy was an excellent setting which was a bit letdown by the level design. And the binaural audio implementation made me cry, it was at par with Hellblade.

Nothing I've seen from Sniper Elite 5 has really compelled me to play this one. Looks pretty much a simple expansion of the previous game. I can wait for a deep sale.
Have you played the Zombie Army games? Same idea as Sniper Elite, but just with zombies.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to it! Downloaded the 4th after seeing the new one coming to Gamepass.

Not played the series before but honestly super surprised by how good it is. You get a lot of options to complete levels and the controls/gunplay is great. Think I've just done with mission 6 so hopefully finish it off before the new one lands.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy it during winter sales (and I have GP). To me, it's not a question of whether or not I'll like it. I already love the series.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
had a blast playing the previous campaign with a friend. definitely playing this day 1 on game pass! glad there's cross-play.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I always thought these games were meant to be dogshit for some reason. I'll try it on gamepass.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I always thought these games were meant to be dogshit for some reason. I'll try it on gamepass.
There is something kinda trashy about the addition of the X-ray sniper shot things, but they are pretty fun games and a rare example of a game you can play 100% in co-op if you wish.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Love all the Sniper Elite games, they are really underrated and deserve more praise, so this game is definitely on my radar.

I saw a little controversy being debated online recently, namely that this game has substantial non-lethal options available to the player.

I have to admit, it's odd. From a gameplay perspective, it makes sense to have non-lethal options in a stealth game, and yet....we're playing a sniper....in WWII....fighting Nazis...why would I spare anyone? They're all getting bullets to the nuts.

What compounds the issue is that in the tutorial you get a notification telling you that you'll earn more XP for non-lethal knockouts. I dunno everyone, it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Love all the Sniper Elite games, they are really underrated and deserve more praise, so this game is definitely on my radar.

I saw a little controversy being debated online recently, namely that this game has substantial non-lethal options available to the player.

I have to admit, it's odd. From a gameplay perspective, it makes sense to have non-lethal options in a stealth game, and yet....we're playing a sniper....in WWII....fighting Nazis...why would I spare anyone? They're all getting bullets to the nuts.

What compounds the issue is that in the tutorial you get a notification telling you that you'll earn more XP for non-lethal knockouts. I dunno everyone, it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

I guess the idea is that nobody is supposed to know you were there? Like, stages have you stealth in to steal a document or something and then extract.

Obviously that doesn't explain why you can choke everyone out or shoot them with non-lethal bullets to knock them out but it feels more of a case of 'it's fun to have the challenge of getting around without killing anyone - even using non-lethal sniper bullets' and retconning it into the story rather than it seriously having a narrative reason.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
I played some of the games in the series, never finished it for some reason, but I liked what I played.

I wish they had picked a different theatre of war though. Would have been great playing as a Soviet sniper on the eastern front.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I probably got this game wrong. Always thought it was just a horde mode shooter lol. The OP mentioning is like Splinter Cell has me curious.