• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Wow, sold out already. Ordered just in time!

indiana-jones-hat.gif

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How long are controllers sold out for usually? I didn't expect this to sell out so I wasn't in a hurry to buy

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but MLiG posted a Mini video regarding the SNES NSO:

In short, SNES NSO does a better job of emulation than the SNES Classic. Main complaints just seem to be the screen border + user icon, which they wish there was some way to disable it. Other than that, everything seems pretty solid: NERD also seems to be cribbing some ideas from the Analogue NT, such as blending pseudo-transparent layers (like the ones found in Kirby's Dreamland 3) for proper transparency. On top of which, it seems aren't any anti-epilepsy filters applied to the games, unlike NES NSO.

One highlight they mentioned is that SNES NSO, like SNES Classic, has properly implemented interpolation to avoid shimmering, unlike the Genesis Mini, which was handled by M2 of all things.

Oh, and that glitch in Yoshi's Island (Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy) has been fixed.

So yeah, props to NERD!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017
I have been playing E.D.F. a lot, and now I finally decided to save-scum my way to the final boss. And man... Its impossible? :'D

Anyway, E.D.F is great! Starfox is next.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You know we talked about who is supporting NSO(both this and Nes) but the crazy thing to consider is the only major third parties not confirmed are Namco Bandai(who could in the future), Square Enix(maybe lesser stuff but definitely their main events won't come), and EA(Hahahhahah, we all know how that'll go). I mean there's Rare but that's a special case(DKC trilogy will come, you never know on the other stuff). But otherwise there's just some minor groups with single releases

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Island is... not fun.

I like that they tried to be so different than SMW, but the rescue the baby mechanic is such a pain in the ass, and the level design isn't nearly as satisfying as other Mario platformers.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Super Metroid for the Nth time. That cinematic (for its time) final boss fight is still one of my favorite moments in gaming. Such a rush.

got 8 hearts and 2 dungeons down in ALttP in an hour lol ive played these games too many times

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I like that they tried to be so different than SMW, but the rescue the baby mechanic is such a pain in the ass, and the level design isn't nearly as satisfying as other Mario platformers.

You should try not losing Mario so much, If having to catch Mario is a pain in the ass that's because the game is penalizing you for playing poorly

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

If you want to play this way, the rewind feature totally negates the baby mechanic. You can play through the entire game without losing the baby.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I am encountering audio issues with the SNES title when docked. the audio will cutnout every few seconds. Ive tried switching hdmi ports, hdmi cables and power cycling the tv, switch and sound bar. Any solutions?

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For what it's worth, I was able to order one just now, even though the site still said "Temporarily Out of Stock". I got an order confirmation email and everything. Here's hoping it goes through!

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
A few more impressions:

- I think I like Yoshi's Island way less than Super Mario World. The collectathon aspect of the game just stresses me out. That might be on me, and I should just play and not give a shit, but man. That fucking points screen at the end of every level. Mario World was a lot more chill about its exploration, and did not try to quantify everything. Step in the wrong direction, IMO, but I guess that was just the way platformers were going.

- Played about 10 hours of Breath of Fire. It's extremely simple, but it's nice to kind of just veg out and play while watching TV or something. And it does have some nice challenges. That Gremlin boss sure brought my party to its limits when I fought it. Also the game tries to pull some absolute dick moves on you which are kind of hilarious. Did you know that the Wolf Hat doubles the damage that Bo takes from enemies for instance? I sure didn't for pretty long stretch of the game and just thought his defense was crap, but nah. Cursed item with no indication. Thanks and fuck you. Lol.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but MLiG posted a Mini video regarding the SNES NSO:

In short, SNES NSO does a better job of emulation than the SNES Classic. Main complaints just seem to be the screen border + user icon, which they wish there was some way to disable it. Other than that, everything seems pretty solid: NERD also seems to be cribbing some ideas from the Analogue NT, such as blending pseudo-transparent layers (like the ones found in Kirby's Dreamland 3) for proper transparency. On top of which, it seems aren't any anti-epilepsy filters applied to the games, unlike NES NSO.

One highlight they mentioned is that SNES NSO, like SNES Classic, has properly implemented interpolation to avoid shimmering, unlike the Genesis Mini, which was handled by M2 of all things.

Oh, and that glitch in Yoshi's Island (Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy) has been fixed.

So yeah, props to NERD!

NERD is delivering the best commercial emulation in the industry right now. Even above M2.

Yeah, they could do more in terms of options or extras but what they are giving us is pretty flawless in terms of accuracy, imaging and response. They don't get commended enough imo.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
NERD is delivering the best commercial emulation in the industry right now. Even above M2.

Yeah, they could do more in terms of options or extras but what they are giving us is pretty flawless in terms of accuracy, imaging and response. They don't get commended enough imo.

I was greatly impressed with the SNES Classic very tight input lag. It's only a frame slower than my retroarch setup (I don't use ahead rendering). Canoe is a very solid emulator.

They need to give us more shaders though.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I was greatly impressed with the SNES Classic very tight input lag. It's only a frame slower than my retroarch setup (I don't use ahead rendering). Canoe is a very solid emulator.

Yeah the Classics are well done too but it's encouraging to see the team improving further on those even (like with Kirby 3's transparency effects). Their DS emulator on Wii U was also very well done and homebrew revealed it was also fully capable of rendering in higher resolutions.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Super Metroid for the Nth time. That cinematic (for its time) final boss fight is still one of my favorite moments in gaming. Such a rush.

got 8 hearts and 2 dungeons down in ALttP in an hour lol ive played these games too many times
It is so easy to get sucked into both of those games.

Super Metroid especially is just such a masterpiece. The controls, graphics, presentation. Its really hard to think of any game that's as good as Super Metroid.

I don't know if I should play Super Metroid on the pro controller or try and get their super nintendo controller. I always prefer OG controllers for the best experience.

I hope we get to keep these games whenever they shut off Switch online....

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I didn't bother waiting for the NSO SNES controller to go on sale, had a feeling it would sell out right away. 8BitDo adapter + SNES Classic pad will keep me going a long time until NSO controller is hopefully easier to get.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017

You're not alone, I've never liked Yoshi's Island much at all and I've played it off and on since the year it came out. Yoshi just doesn't handle all that well to me, the level design isn't as good as SMW, and the crying/flying baby shit is just annoying. To me, it's like...Super Mario World is the equivalent of the fun, fast-paced levels from Sonic Unleashed while Yoshi's Island is the equivalent of the slow, tedious "Werehog" levels from Sonic Unleashed. Yeah, I said it.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So I read on twitter that the SNES switch pad is sold out in North America. I'm guessing Nintendo ran out of there first batches?? Wow that's insane. I'll wait till Black Friday to order my batch.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't like Yoshi's Island you are probably a cop.

SMW is objectively the better game but I dunno... I just really like Yoshi's Island.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

What's "Canoe"? Is that the official name of NERD's proprietary emulation solution?
If you don't like Yoshi's Island you are probably a cop.
I liked Astral Chain. Does that make me hate Yoshi's Island, especially when I grew up with it?

And yes, YI >>> SMW. I know in Japan it wasn't even subtitled "Super Mario World 2", but by all intents and purposes, it pretty much feels like the next step for Miyamoto's team at the time. They just didn't want to be beholden to the conventions of typical mainline Mario titles.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Still waiting for the controller to be available to purchase in France, but now I'm paranoid cause I'm afraid it may run out of stock within a few hours...

Oct 25, 2017
.... man.
Haven't heard this take before.

How far did you get?
It starts off pretty simple of course.

I'm in world 4 now, but I've beaten it before on the SNES and the GBA remake.

You should try not losing Mario so much, If having to catch Mario is a pain in the ass that's because the game is penalizing you for playing poorly

I've been playing video games for 29 years, I'm probably as gud as I'm going to git at this point.

If you want to play this way, the rewind feature totally negates the baby mechanic. You can play through the entire game without losing the baby.

I totally forgot that existed. I've been using suspend states as my own checkmarks, but that would be quicker.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I am encountering audio issues with the SNES title when docked. the audio will cutnout every few seconds. Ive tried switching hdmi ports, hdmi cables and power cycling the tv, switch and sound bar. Any solutions?

We had many such reports in the SNES Classic thread as well when it launched. It seems to be caused by energy-saving implementations of most sound bars, which will switch off whenever they detect complete silence, and take a fraction of a second to wake up when they detect sound again. Usually sound is continuous so you don't notice it, but many games on the SNES (the Mario World world map is a particular culprit) have complete silences at times, which trigger this. The only solution would be to replace your sound bar with one what doesn't have such energy-saving "feature".

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Super Metroid on my New 3DS a couple weeks ago (first time since 1994) and was again amazed by how utterly loathsome the last boss is. They really nailed the "make the player HATE this thing" aspect.

lol I know a lot of people hate the fight but I love the payback. I also usually have a lot of missles and just aim diagonally and unload everything and the scene plays.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Star fox is still pretty awesome, if you can get over the frame rates.

I'll have to look up how to get to that bonkers slot machine boss for old times sake.

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute praise SMW gets has always baffled me. It's easily one of the middling Mario platformer entries for me. The level design is especially weak and the graphics are fairly bland, and it's easy to beat in one quick sitting. I always do a spit take when I see people list it as the greatest SNES game of all time.

I have often wondered if it's reputation was due to it's pack in status and it being most people's first SNES game.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
The absolute praise SMW gets has always baffled me. It's easily one of the middling Mario platformer entries for me. The level design is especially weak and the graphics are fairly bland, and it's easy to beat in one quick sitting. I always do a spit take when I see people list it as the greatest SNES game of all time.

I have often wondered if it's reputation was due to it's pack in status and it being most people's first SNES game.

Nah. It's fantastic. I remember when it came out in 1992 in the UK, it was head and shoulders above anything else. Its better than SMB3 in my opinion. I think the level design is great. It encourages exploration and finding secrets and there's a good variety of ways that you can beat some levels. For its time it's an excellent game.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean you get the cape, yoshi, different color yoshis with different abilities, 96 exits or whatever. SECRET BASE. Star Road, the music! Charging chuck, big boo, bowser's kids, saving yoshi eggs,MF Dolphins! That game was fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.