• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. You've just taken an extremely narrow viewpoint that I'm illustrating hardly matters in a slightly broader context. You can subvert the challenge in both games easily enough if one is so inclined, though I disagree using the cape in that way is as easy or obvious as you seem to think. But even if it were, it doesn't take much restraint to avoid abusing it.

My point was it's a game that similarly provides a different toolset to moderate difficulty at the user's discretion. If you prefer we stick to Mario, NSMBW had an option in which it plays the game for you. 3D Land would give you a power-up that made you invincible for the level's duration. Are those not essentially the same "problem"?

It's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of fact. If you don't like playing a game a certain way, then perhaps you shouldn't play it in that way?

No, you're really not doing anything except arguing that the ways in which developers design tools to be used in a game world doesn't matter, which, fine if you feel that way, but it's a silly, silly POV to me.

As for your arguments about NSMBWii and 3DW, these tools are at least meant for accessibility purposes, though I do think that they trivialize the platforming - how could they not, after all? I don't believe that the cape is meant to make the game accessible - in fact, the cape bounce is fairly easy to pick up, but might not be so easy to do for very young children or people with physical issues that make timing the d-pad push a challenge. Honestly, your comparison here makes me more critical of the cape bounce's designed use and not less critical; at least the "play the level/part of the level for you" tool is meant to clearly serve a group of gamers who might legitimately need the extra help for physical reasons. You can't even say that much about the cape's implementation in SMW.

In any case, your concept of the word "fact" is strange. You've given me your opinion that you don't believe it fair for me to judge a game by the way in which the developer develops tools to use within the game, which I think is dubious, but whatever, we're all different. However, if you think that this is a fact, you should probably hit the dictionary and learn what words mean.

Finally, I like SMW, and I enjoyed 96-starring it over the weekend, so I'm not sure where your idea that I don't "like" playing SMW in any particular way comes in. I'm just saying that, wow, the cape bounce makes a fair amount of the platforming totally unnecessary, which, you know, is an actual fact.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
No, you're really not doing anything except arguing that the ways in which developers design tools to be used in a game world doesn't matter, which, fine if you feel that way, but it's a silly, silly POV to me.

Oh boy, and you thought I was misinterpreting your position? My stance has always been that the cape exists to be used as a reward by players who are skilled enough to do so in whatever manner they wish. How you twisted it into that bizarre position is beyond me.

In any case, your concept of the word "fact" is strange. You've given me your opinion that you don't believe it fair for me to judge a game by the way in which the developer develops tools to use within the game, which I think is dubious, but whatever, we're all different. However, if you think that this is a fact, you should probably hit the dictionary and learn what words means

When you list something as the #1 reason for why one game is better than another, I don't think you should expect it to go unchallenged, especially when the extent it can be 'exploited' is left entirely to the player.

Finally, I like SMW, and I enjoyed 96-starring it over the weekend, so I'm not sure where your idea that I don't "like" playing SMW in any particular way comes in. I'm just saying that, wow, the cape bounce makes a fair amount of the platforming totally unnecessary, which, you know, is an actual fact.

As is not having to play that way, which was all I meant. If you don't like cap bouncing, then like, don't do it?

Last edited:

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
I really need those SNES gamepads.

Neither the joycons or pro controller are suitable for drifting in SMK and suck in general for these games.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I really want
s-l300.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, and you thought I was misinterpreting your position? My stance has always been that the cape exists to be used as a reward by players who are skilled enough to do so in whatever manner they wish. How you twisted it into that bizarre position is beyond me.

When you list something as the #1 reason for why one game is better than another, I don't think you should expect it to go unchallenged, especially when the extent it can be 'exploited' is left entirely to the player. But hey, you do you.

As is not having to play that way, which was all I meant. If you don't like cap bouncing, then like, don't do it?

Because I literally said, to start this whole post, "SMB3 is better than SMW, and part of that is that it doesn't allow you to trivialize the platforming with the cape bounce," and then you started in with this WELL DON'T USE IT LIKE THAT THEN nonsense.

How else am I supposed to take it? I'm talking about how the developers designed the game. My argument is that having a meter on the raccoon tail forces you to engage with the platforming more than being allowed to cape bounce. Then you come in with a BUT YOU CAN NOT PLAY IT LIKE THAT, and honestly, so fucking what? That doesn't change my argument; the raccoon tail is better designed. In fact, let me use one of your words; I think the raccoon tail balances reward and challenge better than the cape does, and that is a factor that matters to me when comparing how well-designed or "good" these games are.

On top of this, you ignore the point that I made that at the very least, the play-it-for-you function and the invincibility at least have a clear function for a certain part of the audience that makes the game more playable to come back with a DUH, THESE THINGS ARE EXACTLY ALIKE EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE IMPLEMENTED IN TOTALLY DIFFERENT CONTEXTS. OK, champ. Good for you, you can ignore context like a lot of other people.

As for your final point, like, yeah, I know that I can play this, or any other game, in different ways. So thanks for that useless piece of information that everyone already knows. Why are you wasting my time with these posts? If you wanted to talk about why you think the design of the cape's use is good, that would be one thing, but this is just you replying with BUT YOU COULD PLAY THE GAME DIFFERENTLY every time. Thanks, Captain Obvious. You can move on now if you don't have anything worthwhile to respond with.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Because I literally said, to start this whole post, "SMB3 is better than SMW, and part of that is that it doesn't allow you to trivialize the platforming with the cape bounce," and then you started in with this WELL DON'T USE IT LIKE THAT THEN nonsense.

How else am I supposed to take it? I'm talking about how the developers designed the game. My argument is that having a meter on the raccoon tail forces you to engage with the platforming more than being allowed to cape bounce. Then you come in with a BUT YOU CAN NOT PLAY IT LIKE THAT, and honestly, so fucking what? That doesn't change my argument; the raccoon tail is better designed. In fact, let me use one of your words; I think the raccoon tail balances reward and challenge better than the cape does, and that is a factor that matters to me when comparing how well-designed or "good" these games are.

Here was my issue: there is nothing preventing you from playing Super Mario World the way you want as is, yet implementing an unnecessary limitation would restrict how others may want to play the game themselves. Limits come at the expense freedom, and while that isn't necessarily a negative of course, I think it would be in Super Mario World's case. A game which, in many ways, was the forerunner to the nearly boundary-less evolution seen in Super Mario 64. It was largely the unparalleled level of freedom that made Super Mario World what it is and I enjoyed the process of mastering the cape's controls and being rewarded with the option to skip portions of some levels, if I desired.

I felt it necessary to point out that you can play the game exactly how you want to as is because your stance seemed so utterly bizarre to me otherwise. I didn't expect for it to get this heated, which I think is partially due to us both talking past each other and perhaps not fully grasping the other's position.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, after playing SMW a bit really for the first time, I can see how others thought NSMB1, Wii and 2 were a step back.

No names for levels, no connected world map. Why did they walk back on that?

I mean I knew SMW always had this, but actually playing the game myself - everything feels so much more cohesive. Though I will say it does lack a bit of variety in level themes as a result. First two worlds are grass, then underground, now I'm on the bridges and they don't really stand out either.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably end up waiting to play any of the SNES games until Nintendo actually releases the controller, but at the same time I'm kind of tempted to get the 8BitDo SN30 Pro just because it'll be able to fully function as another controller. Not really interested in the Pro+ because of the grips, because the form factor is like 90% of the nostalgia lol.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
You're not really supposed to play any Mario game without running, it's how a lot of people play it with perfect precision using that momentum you mention. You can't really blame the game and say it controls poorly and then say it's because you're dying all the time because that's obviously on you. You just need to keep playing and learn and you'll get better at it (and I don't mean this in a "get good" way at all). Also, dated was a really poor choice of words on your part. How can it be dated for those reasons you said when newer Mario games are much more momentum based and "slippery" than Mario World is? It's a design choice and the time that choice was made in doesn't matter.

You've still got quite a bit to go before you're done. I'm pretty sure you've still got one of the biggest areas to visit, so there's that.
I know it is on me to learn the mechanics of the game, but it is frustrating that the basic mechanic is what kills me, and not different enemy behaviors or harder platforms sections. It is a design choice, and I don't appreciate it. I can't say anything about other Mario games because I didn't play them. They probably evolved the mechanics, or the size of the screen helps, dunno. Since I can only compare with newer platform games that take a different approach, it feels like the right choice for the past, dated. That said, I can see your point and agree that it is not dated, but because now I don't know if any mechanic can be considered dated at all.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So anyone want to do a SNES NSO challenge/tips and tricks OT? Sorta like that Snes classic challenge we did but also a place to archive stuff like the Brawl Brothers to rushing beat conversion cheat code, mandatory jrpg items, etc? Could be fun, I'd do it but I lack the arcane knowledge and the editing software to make a nice one

Edit here's the old one but it'd be nice to have a new more general one with threadmarks to major cheat codes, tips and tricks.

Last edited:

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!, that's a shame but luckily i do have my NDS so GBA games shouldn't be hard to get, although hopefully Nintendo adds them to NSO one day,

The GBA games are great. Fusion get some flack for not focusing as much on the exploration/back-tracking elements that some people find really important, but the overall gameplay and atmosphere are fantastic.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
So anyone want to do a SNES NSO challenge/tips and tricks OT? Sorta like that Snes classic challenge we did but also a place to archive stuff like the Brawl Brothers to rushing beat conversion cheat code, mandatory jrpg items, etc? Could be fun, I'd do it but I lack the arcane knowledge and the editing software to make a nice one

Edit here's the old one but it'd be nice to have a new more general one with threadmarks to major cheat codes, tips and tricks.
Well the OP of that thread is still around, maybe shoot them a PM and see if they're interested in doing it again.

If not then we can just make a brand new one. I wouldn't mind helping to brainstorm some challenges for some of these games.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Right so Maridia is pissing me off now, I cant figure out how to progress. Here's where I am map wise if that helps.

I got the
spring ball
recently and I cant figure anything else out, every path I need to take has a black door /shrug

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Right so Maridia is pissing me off now, I cant figure out how to progress. Here's where I am map wise if that helps.

I got the
spring ball
recently and I cant figure anything else out, every path I need to take has a black door /shrug

Weird you've been to where you should be going but you didn't make it through to the next room for some reason. Head back to the big room to the left, and enter the door in the top left corner of that room.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Reading it right now.

IGN RE: Pilotwings said:
It just looks and plays terribly now, so unless you're some weirdo who used to max out his ratings in all the challenges over the winter of 1991-1992 rather than interact with other children, you can avoid it.

I really never understood lines like this.
So does going for all 96 exits in Super Mario World or sub 3 hours in Super Metroid also make you a weirdo?

What's the name of the condescending idiot who wrote that insulting crap so I don't have to actually click on the article? Because that is some incredibly stupid and immature '90s game magazine era level dudebro writing right there.

Last edited:

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
uh Demon's Crest is kinda sick

I played through it quickly with very few power ups (?) and got what I assume is the bad ending and now I want to 100% it

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Sitting back with a cup of coffee and some split Joy-Con, and I'm so glad I made the irresponsible decision to get my JCs customized (not my photo, but you get the idea):

DS-Zkv2WsAAtIfU.jpg

Also, am I a bad person for playing in 4:3 instead of pixel perfect?

Oct 25, 2017
Here was my issue: there is nothing preventing you from playing Super Mario World the way you want as is, yet implementing an unnecessary limitation would restrict how others may want to play the game themselves. Limits come at the expense freedom, and while that isn't necessarily a negative of course, I think it would be in Super Mario World's case. A game which, in many ways, was the forerunner to the nearly boundary-less evolution seen in Super Mario 64. It was largely the unparalleled level of freedom that made Super Mario World what it is and I enjoyed the process of mastering the cape's controls and being rewarded with the option to skip portions of some levels, if I desired.

I felt it necessary to point out that you can play the game exactly how you want to as is because your stance seemed so utterly bizarre to me otherwise. I didn't expect for it to get this heated, which I think is partially due to us both talking past each other and perhaps not fully grasping the other's position.

I'm not really heated. The most I ever get online, at least at this site, is mildly irritated. At the least in this post, you've made an argument about freedom of movement that addresses my point (though I'd disagree that this is as important in a tightly-designed 2D game as it is in a 3D playground like SM64 or Odyssey, but that's another discussion).

But yeah, the point that I could choose not to use the cape like that is basically a) a given and b) true for a lot of mechanics in video games, but that doesn't make them immediately free from all criticism. "Don't play it like that, then" really doesn't address any arguments about whether or not the mechanic is well-developed.

SMW is still one of the greatest games ever made; however, playing it again (and SMB3) reminds me of why I think SMB3 is just a bit more great; it feels more tightly designed, and the differences between the tail and the cape are, for me, an example of that tighter design. Anyway, that whole topic's been beaten into the dirt, so as I said a few posts earlier, let's agree to disagree.

On another note, this Puyo game on the service is fantastic.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Haven't jumped in on the Switch online service just yet. Do the games work offline? I mainly play my Switch on public transit to Seattle.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I have been using a guide to complete Demons Crest. It's been an awesome game, but now I see I HAVE to beat this fucking headbutt minigame for the complete ending and... I just don't know...

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish there were a pure scanline filter that keeps the sharpness of the pixels, like how these games look on a PVM:
mkfu2PQ.jpg

Still fun to switch between the CRT and Pixel-Perfect modes though. A small nitpick is that I wish the P1 icon wasn't always on the top left... I want pure black borders gosh darnit.

I think we should all try and tweet Nintendo that picture, saying that we'd love an option for those kind of scan lines.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
So I have been using a guide to complete Demons Crest. It's been an awesome game, but now I see I HAVE to beat this fucking headbutt minigame for the complete ending and... I just don't know...
So I beat this!

... And I'm reviewing where I'm at and see I'm missing an urn. No prob, check the guide and... I remember getting all of these? Oh well, time to double check. And yep, I got them all? Maybe my memory and this guide were both wrong, let me check another guide. ...hmm... Same locations...

Anyone know why the fuck I've only got 4 urns when I recall getting all 5 and have revisited the location of each of them?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I beat this!

... And I'm reviewing where I'm at and see I'm missing an urn. No prob, check the guide and... I remember getting all of these? Oh well, time to double check. And yep, I got them all? Maybe my memory and this guide were both wrong, let me check another guide. ...hmm... Same locations...

Anyone know why the fuck I've only got 4 urns when I recall getting all 5 and have revisited the location of each of them?

Did you fly all the way up in the beginning of the ice level?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the light. Fuck Mario Kart, Fuck F-Zero, Stunt Race FX is clearly the best racing game here

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I'm so bad at Mario World now. The Super Mario Maker physics are hard to deprogram out of yourself.
Same same same. Used to think I loved how SMW controlled. Been a while since I've actually played SMW but have been playing a ton of Mario Maker 2 (SMW style especially) and when I first booted up SMW in the SNES app in the Switch I was like "what is this why does this control terribly all the sudden" lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just 100%'d Demon's Crest! Got all 4 endings with the help of save states.

That final boss almost got me, despite me going into the fight with 5 Ginseng potions.

That was the last one I was missing, too.

I can't wait for the Demon's Crest players to take on the final boss.

That fucker still gives me nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.