• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
No problem. I said dated because I find the jumps and the movements frustrating while comparing it to newer games like Shovel Knight, Celeste and Hollow Knight.

What is making me frustrated? The initial speed unbearable to me, so I play running most of the time. And I think this is where my problem sits. While running I gain momentum and I lose control of actions that I regret, like hitting an unexpected enemy.
I totally get what you mean man.

A lot of people clearly hold these games very dearly, but they're not exempt from criticism.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
...........but this is how you're "supposed" to play Mario platformers. Never let go of the run button. Any time I see someone just walking through a Mario level, I want to scream "what are you doing!?" lol
They really should have just made it a walk button, since you're almost never not running.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Can I take turns plying Zelda with my brother in another country?

Like he watches and can hand off when he wants in?
Bumping this question. My brother is going to buy today because I told him we could do this :O

Alternatively, I have the family plan, could I add him to my plan and we can play with each other?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So something handy from Reddit, Brawl Brothers has a cheat code that turns it into the Japanese version Rushing Beat!
Load Brawl Brothers in the SNES Online app. At the 'Jaleco' screen quickly tap B A X Y B A X Y and so on continuously until the screen fades to black. When the bottom half of the screen appears glitched, press Start (the glitched menu slides to the left), Down, Down, Down, Start. This loads the Option Mode for Rushing Beat. Pick your settings and you're good to go.

Rushing Beat removes the maze stages (yes!), has an expanded ending, different character names, and an extra groin-kick for Douglas (aka Slash) - not to mention the far better looking title screen. Hope you all enjoy the superior version!

Tested it myself and it works! Stuff like this is why need a OT for Snes online for tips and tricks

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Man, I'm playing BoF for the first time and this is really an early SNES RPG. Tons of dead ends on the world map, random encounters that can happen as soon as you take three steps, and long passages in castles that lead to rooms with stoves and beds that make you THINK you can recover your HP.

I am enjoying it, though. At least, the grinding isn't too bad since you can just tap A through the battles.

Feb 15, 2018
Are people using the joy con buttons or the analogue stick? I know using the latter as I just can't get on with buttons Vs a conventional dpad. Thinking about stumping up for a hori dpad joy con but then I will lose rumble.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
No, your right. What I meant was that if I wanted rumble when playing a regular switch game in handheld mode I would have to swap the joycons back over, which I know will annoy me quickly.
Haha, yep, that's true. You may want to look into a d-pad modded Joy-Con. I think it's the best solution, lets you retain rumble and the ability to play with detached Joy-Cons, and the clicky d-pad you'll get is so much better than the squishy Hori one.

Feb 15, 2018
Haha, yep, that's true. You may want to look into a d-pad modded Joy-Con. I think it's the best solution, lets you retain rumble and the ability to play with detached Joy-Cons, and the clicky d-pad you'll get is so much better than the squishy Hori one.

Thanks for the reply. I might have to investigate how much effort this takes.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
First time playing through Super Metroid. Enjoying it immensely but the controls can be seriously janky at points. Jumping, wall jumping and the grappling hook can be a pain to use.

The music and atmosphere ilare top notch though. A great experience so far.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Why would the way it's displayed impact the physics? Do you mean you're not used to how it feels in pixel perfect?

Yes, feels in some way odd.

4:3 is a complete no-go because of how the ratio scales to 720p on the Switch. Way too much of the screen real estate goes unused as a result.

I don't understand, pixel perfect actually uses less of the screen (both modes don't go fullscreen vertically, which is strange. I thought original resolution is 240p—> 3x = 720p)

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand, pixel perfect actually uses less of the screen (both modes don't go fullscreen vertically, which is strange. I thought original resolution is 240p—> 3x = 720p)
I misspoke. I meant to say that pixel perfect wastes too much screen real estate due to its aspect ratio.

Oct 25, 2017
On a serious note, Fighting games is a complicated issue because all street fighters and snk fighters are already avaliable to be bough on the switch.
We can also ignore the licensed stuff like Sailor Moon, Gundam and Ranma so very few good fighting games are left. And Killer Instinct is now owned by Microsoft so it gets complicated

...maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Mortal Kombat?

The Bruce lee fighting game.......maybe?

Does super punch it count?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
"I'd be cool if you could nuke this underwater tube and go out lol"

tries it for funsies

8QmIp.gif

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017

I'd thought so too, but I looked it up and the resolution is actually 256x224 (for most games - there's a 512x448 mode that is occasionally used for menus and stuff). So if you triple the resolution you get 672p, which leaves a 48p gap.

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I play SMW, I'm always surprised at how much of the game is easily bypassed with a cape or with Yoshi.

Taking out the P-meter and replacing it with cape bouncing = reason number one that SMB3 is the better game, IMO.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I'm gonna be honest Super Metroid might just be one of the best games i've played it's just amazing, is the NES Metroid as good as this one or at least close?

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Every time I play SMW, I'm always surprised at how much of the game is easily bypassed with a cape or with Yoshi.

Taking out the P-meter and replacing it with cape bouncing = reason number one that SMB3 is the better game, IMO.

You don't have to use either though. It would be like complaining that you can skip almost the entirety of SMB3 by using Warp Whistles.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to use either though. It would be like complaining that you can skip almost the entirety of SMB3 by using Warp Whistles.

This isn't a fair comparison, though. If I were complaining that the Star Road shortcut to Bowser's Castle made the game trivial, that would be analogous to complaining about Warp Whistles in SMB3.

I'm talking about actual tools used for platforming. Those should never make the platforming in a game trivial, IMO.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The difference in visuals between SMW and SMW2 in four years on the same hardware always amazes me. Just marginally less impressive than the transition between SMB and SMB3.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna be honest Super Metroid might just be one of the best games i've played it's just amazing, is the NES Metroid as good as this one or at least close?

The first game is much more primitive. Super is a fully fleshed out experience. That said, if you love Super, look into Metroid Zero Mission for GBA if you have a way to play that.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
part of me wants to do a project and show all the easy 1-up things you can do in each Mario World castle

i swear everytime mario world gets brought up there's always a few people who never knew how easy it is to get to 99 lives

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
This isn't a fair comparison, though. If I were complaining that the Star Road shortcut to Bowser's Castle made the game trivial, that would be analogous to complaining about Warp Whistles in SMB3.

They were both items that removed the need to platform. I think the analogy was pretty apt; one just takes longer and is harder to exploit to the same extent. There are options to get around much of the platforming in both games.

Using the cape to skip most of a level is something that's pretty difficult to do and is more of a reward for experienced players. If it were a common problem or something that's easy to do, it probably would have been mentioned in reviews at the time.

I'm talking about actual tools used for platforming. Those should never make the platforming in a game trivial, IMO.

Mario 3 had the P-Wing.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Kind of but... Not really? Super metroid added a ton of quality of life elements (...like a map, save rooms and actually having health on reloading), as well as much better map design. I've never personally made it through the original metroid.

The GBA games, zero mission and fusion , as well as the 3DS Samus returns are much closer to super metroid.

Oct 25, 2017
They were both power-ups that removed the need to platform. I think the analogy was apt.

Using the cape to skip most of a level is something that's pretty difficult to do and is more of a reward for experienced players. If it were a common problem or something that's easy to do, it probably would have been mentioned in reviews at the time.

Mario 3 had the P-Wing.

I don't agree that the analogy was apt for the reasons that I explained; one is a tool meant to facilitate warping past levels, the other is a tool meant to be used within the level as part of the actual platforming. Agree to disagree.

Cape bouncing is also not particularly hard to master, but we'll agree to disagree there as well.

As for the P-Wing, absolutely, that's a tool meant to help you skip a level, but they are limited in amount, much like the cloud, which also lets you skip a level as long as you beat the next level that you choose. Neither are a tool that are easy to get in most of the levels, unlike the cape.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
As for the P-Wing, absolutely, that's a tool meant to help you skip a level, but they are limited in amount, much like the cloud, which also lets you skip a level as long as you beat the next level that you choose. Neither are a tool that are easy to get in most of the levels, unlike the cape.

Nothing's forcing you to use the cape to that extent though? This just seems like a non-issue, analogous to complaining that you can fly in the Kirby games. You can play both however you want.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's forcing you to use the cape to that extent though? This just seems like a non-issue, analogous to complaining that you can fly in the Kirby games. You can play both however you want.

Your posts are increasingly off the point. My original point was that the game gives you a tool that makes the platforming in many actual levels trivial that's easy to get and easy to use in that way, and that one of the reasons that I think SMB3 is better is that it checks your flying (unless you're using a P-Wing) with the flying meter and forces to you deal with most of the good platforming that you have to do.

You made a comparison to warping which doesn't hold IMO and then pointed out the P-Wing without noting that those are rare in comparison to the amounts of capes (or blue Koopa shells when you're on Yoshi, for that matter, though at least that is time-limited like the leaf in SMB3 is), and now you're saying that it's a "non-issue" because "nothing's forcing you to use the cape," which, no offense, is irrelevant entirely when talking about the function of the power-ups and how they were designed to be used within the levels. The point that I made is that I don't think tools used for actual platforming should make the platforming trivial as often as SMW does. You may disagree that it matters to judging how good a game is, and that's fine, but I don't agree with you there and I doubt either of us are changing the other's mind.

And the comparison to Kirby is a bit strange since that's not exactly a challenging platforming series in most of its incarnations; it's focused more on puzzles and exploration, typically. Anyway, I don't really see a cogent comparison or analogy anywhere in your posts to support your point, so yeah, let's just agree to disagree.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really disappointed in Maridia, I don't like how it looks and it's a fucking hassle to get through. A real momentum killer in a otherwise fantastic game.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Your posts are increasingly off the point.

Not at all. You've just taken an extremely narrow viewpoint that I'm illustrating hardly matters in a slightly broader context. You can subvert the challenge in both games easily enough if one is so inclined, though I disagree using the cape in that way is as easy or obvious as you seem to think. But even if it were, it doesn't take much restraint to avoid abusing it.

And the comparison to Kirby is a bit strange since that's not exactly a challenging platforming series in most of its incarnations; it's focused more on puzzles and exploration, typically.

My point was it's a game that similarly provides a different toolset to moderate difficulty at the user's discretion. If you prefer we stick to Mario, NSMBW had an option in which it plays the game for you. 3D Land would give you a power-up that made you invincible for the level's duration. Are those not essentially the same "problem"?

and now you're saying that it's a "non-issue" because "nothing's forcing you to use the cape," which, no offense, but who cares?

It's not a matter of caring, it's a matter of fact. If you don't like playing a game a certain way, then perhaps you shouldn't play it in that way?

Last edited:

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
The first game is much more primitive. Super is a fully fleshed out experience. That said, if you love Super, look into Metroid Zero Mission for GBA if you have a way to play that.
Kind of but... Not really? Super metroid added a ton of quality of life elements (...like a map, save rooms and actually having health on reloading), as well as much better map design. I've never personally made it through the original metroid.

The GBA games, zero mission and fusion , as well as the 3DS Samus returns are much closer to super metroid.
NES Metroid is good but nowhere near the level of Super Metroid.
Thanks!, that's a shame but luckily i do have my NDS so GBA games shouldn't be hard to get, although hopefully Nintendo adds them to NSO one day,

Status
Not open for further replies.